On Voting or Not Voting for Biden in Light of the Sexual Assault Allegations |OT| Discussion Guidelines in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord of Ostia

Oct 27, 2017
Then isn't it even more imperative for those voters to ensure in a two-person race that you get the person who can be pushed to put truly Progressive judges on the bench into the office?
Yes, which is why many survivors of sexual abuse will likely still vote for Biden. They'll feel sick about it and fucking hate themselves for it, but they'll do it.

All I said was have empathy for people in this position. That's it. Then you decided to jump down my throat with some false dichotomy bullshit.

SoZetaSlow

Sep 20, 2019
That just isn't true, specifically on gun control, access to abortion, same-sex marriage, and immigration. Is he Bernie Sanders, no; but he isn't Trump just in a different color. That is disingenuous.
Are you purposefully forgetting who Bloomberg is and what he's done? Pretending that he isn't basically Republican and someone who absolutely shouldn't be trusted to fulfill any progressive policies he might pretend to hold
Frankly, it's not that hard to vote for the lesser evil. I would really appreciate it if everybody just embraced that maxim. Like I quoted earlier today:

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Don't let evil triumph. I beg of you.
I would get banned if I said what I wanted to say right now. How can you actually say this when we're talking about voting for a rapist. Not that hard? Jesus fucking christ

Jun 10, 2018
Unless that person in question wants to be married to the same sex, have an abortion, and/or see advances in gun control?
All of which are things he supports because of the benefit to non-black constituents.

I'm not going to go down this road again where people want to conveniently ignore the fact that a politician was able to get away with enacting racist policies in a supposedly left leaning state. Largely because that would be going on an unrelated tangent.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you purposefully forgetting who Bloomberg is and what he's done? Pretending that he isn't basically Republican and someone who absolutely shouldn't be trusted to fulfill any progressive policies he might pretend to hold
I'm not doing this, have a good one.
All of which are things he supports because of the benefit to non-black constituents.

I'm not going to go down this road again where people want to conveniently ignore the fact that a politician was able to get away with enacting racist policies in a supposedly left leaning state. Largely because that would be going on an unrelated tangent.
Same, have a good one.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I feel most sad about is that this will probably not be a story at all.

We’ll have to make a hard choice but for the average American they’ll never hear of this.

Xaszatm

Oct 25, 2017
You don’t pretend that it’s ok for trump being re-elected but by not voting that’s what your okay with and that’s on you. I don’t like Biden at all but he’s the best shot you have at stopping trump who is pure evil and will do way more damage than anyone else.
No. You are unsympathetic at best to the plight of those who suffered from sexual assault. You do not shame people who suffer from night terrors, trauma, and emotional exhaustion about their rapists that voting for one is good. You do not do that. Do not play the fucking oppression olympics.

Morrigan

Arrogant Smirk
Oct 24, 2017
You literally said "any other detail". And that there are zero reservations to be had in this decision making process.

It's a dismissal, full stop.
Cheebo repeatedly clarified what he meant regarding media coverage of Biden's victim. You can disagree, but this isn't the thread for accusations and interrogations.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, which is why many survivors of sexual abuse will likely still vote for Biden. They'll feel sick about it and fucking hate themselves for it, but they'll do it.

All I said was have empathy for people in this position. That's it. Then you decided to jump down my throat with some false dichotomy bullshit.
I don't know how you could read that and say I was jumping down your throat but if that's how you felt then I apologize for the tone that was given

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's because that isn't just what this about. If that was it, we wouldn't even need a discussion. This is about the future of the USA going forward, because right now it seems that this man is locked into being the nominee against Trump. And Trump winning comes with all sorts of moral consequences you need to weigh.
Thats what the other topics were about. And on a forum where we can have 1500 Marvel and Star wars threads open at any one time, deciding we need to have a quota on how many Biden threads can be made, with the topic about literal rape, and change it to a topic that makes no mention that this is what the crux of the conversation is about, is super fucked up and is a bit unbelievable to watch what is happening on a forum that was started over the previous owner sexually assaulting someone.

This was supposed to be a home for people who wanted to feel safe and not contribute to that kind of toxicity. And yet now were here where its cool to whitewash the conversation and make jokes about voting for fucking Hitler. Hitler. And then have mods be like, nah yeah its pretty funny (despite having jewish members of the community literally saying how much it bothers them). Why did we even leave in the first place? Because were no different here.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Trump has been accused of rape and admitted to sexual assault.

Biden has been accused of rape.

We're literally in a place where any action or inaction you take leads to an accused rapist being in office. It's pretty fucked up.
The fact is we're in shrinking window of time where we can demand for Biden to step down. But unfortunately people have I guess convinced themselves that Biden is the only person in the world who could beat Trump. We have other options. The two I can think of takes top Democrats (like Warren, Pelosi, Shumer, whomever, etc) demanding Biden withdraws. Then either forfeiting the race to second place or giving Biden's delegates to another party to basically be a substitute. People have already indicated that they'd vote for any Democrat nominee, I doubt putting somebody that's not a rapist as the front runner would lose support.

But here we are pretending there are only 2 choices.

Lothars

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Trump wins, it’s because – once again – the Democrats opted to run a shit stain candidate with a mausoleum-sized closet filled with skeletons.
no it’s because that if it was a good candidate than he would have won but he failed by an even bigger margin than he did in 2016. I would have much rather seen Warren win but that’s not going to happen and it’s a shame but neither of the last nominees are good.
No. You are unsympathetic at best to the plight of those who suffered from sexual assault. You do not shame people who suffer from night terrors, trauma, and emotional exhaustion about their rapists that voting for one is good. You do not do that. Do not play the fucking oppression olympics.
you can continue to be wrong that’s fine

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cheebo repeatedly clarified what he meant. You can disagree, but this isn't the thread for accusations and interrogations.
What are you all doing? That post is probably the most fucked up thing Ive seen on this board. And we have Jewish posters telling you it bothered them. And youre in here ignoring them to protect a shitty analogy about fucking Hitler.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, you're dismissing an accusation of rape in the content of your posts (not talking about the act of voting). You. I'm not talking about other people.

I'm not talking about the vote itself. I'm talking about rhetoric. Also nah, let's hold him to account now and not when it's politically convenient.
It would irresponsible to dismiss what's at stake here as a matter of political convenience.

The most powerful man in the world cannot continue to be a completely out of his depth self-obsessed dotard who thinks climate change is a myth, has peddled verified lies to the American people thousands of times, and would gladly start a war if he thought it would boost the US economy.

This asshole has rolled back every achievement of Obama's he can get his hands on, purely out of spite. He's committed treasonous impeachable offenses with the complicity of Congress and put the worst of the worst in charge of education, environmental protection, immigration, and foreign policy. He's pardoned a psychopathic war criminal, encouraged white nationalism, deepened the class divide with his absurd tax cuts for American billionaires, and buddied up with murderous dictators.

Now is the time to put the needs of millions if not billions above our moral disgust.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I find it bothersome that mod op presents not voting as strictly not voting out of privilege and vote shaming as violence.

These two assertions are unnecessarily antagonistic.

Even in this thread I can spot people not voting out of privilege because they reside in blue states that will never flip to Trump but there are people who legitimately don't see a point in voting because neither candidate will fix the underlying issues that this country needs to fix. When both Answers lead to failure I can see why they would be so demoralized in not voting.

As for the vote shaming is similar to violence. Well that's just ridiculous.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cheebo repeatedly clarified what he meant. You can disagree, but this isn't the thread for accusations and interrogations.
The same thing has been happening thing multiple threads threads, this isn't just some one off comment. It's very clear what he means. I'm not interrogating him. I'm not accusing him of anything, I'm letting him know that his rhetoric is damaging to victims of sexual assault. I'm not the only one who feels this way. Many others have been saying the same kinds of things (downplaying allegations) and it's extremely frustrating.

Agar25

Apr 12, 2018
It’s an incredibly heinous, tacky thing to say. They did not even apologize, just continued to “clarify“because why apologize when you have a mod say that they laughed at the comment. Dropping it now but Nothing about that comment and subsequent interaction was right at all.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It would irresponsible to dismiss what's at stake here as a matter of political convenience.

The most powerful man in the world cannot continue to be a completely out of his depth self-obsessed dotard who thinks climate change is a myth, has peddled verified lies to the American people thousands of times, and would gladly start a war if he thought it would boost the US economy.

Now is the time to put the needs of millions if not billions above our moral disgust.
We don't get to just shelve these kinds of things and dust them off when it's most convenient. That's not the way we should be looking at allegations.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Voting for Biden is, without question, signalling that sexual abuse is acceptable and those in power can get away with it. There's blood on your hands in you vote for Biden.

Not voting for Biden is, without question, choosing to allow Trump and the white nationalism that his administration is built on to go on unopposed. There's blood on your hands if you don't vote for Biden.
Saying it like this, we should probably ban everyone that votes for Biden for supporting a sexual abuser.

We should also ban everyone not voting for helping a white nationalist.

And of course we should ban people voting for Trump for being a white nationalist.

In the end... Ban all Americans on this forum? Man your election system is crap Americans.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm sorry those who are traumatized by sexual assault and rape do not wish to relive their experiences. You do not get to say "voting for the lesser evil is easy" to victims. You just. fucking. don't.
I apologize if I brought up a painful topic for you. I did say "lesser evil" and not "greater good". We live in a world of piss and shit. There are no great options out there. Wouldn't you agree that if you must choose between 2 evils, the logical thing to do is vote for the lesser one.

What choice do I have? Help Trump stay president? That's no choice at all, is it?

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Thats what the other topics were about. And on a forum where we can have 1500 Marvel and Star wars threads open at any one time, deciding we need to have a quota on how many Biden threads can be made, with the topic about literal rape, and change it to a topic that makes no mention that this is what the crux of the conversation is about, is super fucked up and is a bit unbelievable to watch what is happening on a forum that was started over the previous owner sexually assaulting someone.

This was supposed to be a home for people who wanted to feel safe and not contribute to that kind of toxicity. And yet now were here where its cool to whitewash the conversation and make jokes about voting for fucking Hitler. Hitler. And then have mods be like, nah yeah its pretty funny (despite having jewish members of the community literally saying how much it bothers them). Why did we even leave in the first place? Because were no different here.
I hear you, I wasn't aware that the other thread about the allegations was closed.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it the more this thread doesn't sit right with me. I don't like that staff on this forum decided to make an official "Vote for a Rapist" thread. This is in bad taste considering recent events. I request that this thread be locked out of sheer decency. I'll add a report to the OP.

Morrigan

Arrogant Smirk
Oct 24, 2017
What are you all doing? That post is probably the most fucked up thing Ive seen on this board. And we have Jewish posters telling you it bothered them. And youre in here ignoring them to protect a shitty analogy about fucking Hitler.
I deferred to our Jewish mods regarding that post. I won't speak over them.

It’s an incredibly heinous, tacky thing to say. They did not even apologize, just continued to “clarify“because why apologize when you have a mod say that they laughed at the comment. Dropping it now but Nothing about that comment and subsequent interaction was right at all.
Please read up the quote chain. In my response to Surfinn, I was referring to the discussion regarding media coverage of Biden's victim.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This is such a fucking mess, as was basically destined since the start of the election cycle. Biden was always going to walk into the nomination and this shit was going to start coming out more and more. Can't blame anyone for being disgusted by the idea of voting for him, but don't know what I'll do with myself given 4 more years of Trump.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
The fact is we're in shrinking window of time where we can demand for Biden to step down. But unfortunately people have I guess convinced themselves that Biden is the only person in the world who could beat Trump. We have other options. The two I can think of takes top Democrats (like Warren, Pelosi, Shumer, whomever, etc) demanding Biden withdraws. Then either forfeiting the race to second place or giving Biden's delegates to another party to basically be a substitute. People have already indicated that they'd vote for any Democrat nominee, I doubt putting somebody that's not a rapist as the front runner would lose support.

I would love for Biden to not be the nominee but that's not what this thread is.

Oct 26, 2017
If it were any other election I would hold my vote, but there is so much at stake that I don't think I can justify not doing what I can to get Trump out of office. If Biden still ends up being the nominee after this, I would also not be comfortable consenting to the conservative lockdown of the Supreme Court (due to Ginsburg potentially stepping down), the further erosion of our democracy, and the humanitarian crimes the Trump Administration will continue to commit. But at the same time, I do not want to consent to my party nominating such a figure, and I want them to pay the consequence of doing so. But who else will feel the consequences that do not deserve to?

I feel like I'm going to be conflicted about this until I'm at the voting booth in November.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I deferred to our Jewish mods regarding that post. I won't speak over them.

Please read up the quote chain. In my response to Surfinn, I was referring to the discussion regarding media coverage of Biden's victim.
No but they didn't speak for the Jewish members on this board who are literally telling you its an issue either.

Mekanos

Oct 17, 2018
It was pretty clear that Cheebo's post was intended to be hyperbolic. Nobody's actually voting for literal Adolf Hitler.
Seriously? A poster invokes an offensive comparison to Hitler and it’s water under the bridge because it’s hyperbolic?

This site has a blatant issue with antisemitism and mods saying stuff like this make me feel unsafe here.

SteffK

Oct 27, 2017
And yet Trump is worse.
With this tried and tested approach the Democrats will surely win, just like former presidents John Kerry and Hillary Clinton did!

At what point will you people realise you are being completely fucking suckered by a party that is awful electorally and holds you in enough contempt to run a credibly accused rapist against a sitting president they maligned for the exact same reasons? Like, they don't even have a good record you can point to to justify their awful decisions!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Saying it like this, we should probably ban everyone that votes for Biden for supporting a sexual abuser.

We should also ban everyone not voting for helping a white nationalist.

And of course we should ban people voting for Trump for being a white nationalist.

In the end... Ban all Americans on this forum? Man your election system is crap Americans.
Putting discussions of bans is silly because there are ethical reasons why people would choose either option and most people didn't want to be in this kind of situation, but the fact of the matter is, yes, you do have two options where either one has a substantial negative side. Inactivity itself is a choice that has effects and they're important effects here. It's not a pleasant situation.

Xaszatm

Oct 25, 2017
no it’s because that if it was a good candidate than he would have won but he failed by an even bigger margin than he did in 2016. I would have much rather seen Warren win but that’s not going to happen and it’s a shame but neither of the last nominees are good.

you can continue to be wrong that’s fine
You realize how hurtful you are? You realize how hurtful this attitude of "you're wrong and the trauma you experienced is wrong" is? Like, I'm still voting for Biden. But to throw that trauma back and mock it...just fucking stop.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
DFW, Texas

Go look at the politics section and the off topic section of the old place and then come tell me Era is no different.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Biden's the lesser of two evils, yeah, but I wish we could just get over shaming people relentlessly for feeling shitty about this. It doesn't help. Shouting at minorities and victims of assault that "you're okay with Trump if you don't vote for Biden" is some horrendous false-equivalence bullshit and it needs to stop.

Just like, take five seconds to consider why someone would feel conflicted. Think about the mindset someone has to be in if you see them throwing away the chance to vote against Donald Fucking Trump. We have people on this forum coming out as victims of abuse and feeling justifiably conflicted at the prospect of voting for Biden based on these allegations. Use some empathy and try to approach them in a way that isn't just beating them over the head with shame.

It would just be nice if we could get to that point where we actually approach people with kindness instead of just screaming at them.

Tankette

Oct 30, 2017
With this tried and tested approach the Democrats will surely win, just like former presidents John Kerry and Hillary Clinton did!

At what point will you people realise you are being completely fucking suckered by a party that is awful electorally and holds you in enough contempt to run a credibly accused rapist against a sitting president they maligned for the exact same reasons? Like, they don't even have a good record you can point to to justify their awful decisions!
Guess we should just not vote and keep on bitching on gaming forums that politicians are corrupt and ~revolution~, then.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Living in a red state has some perks, but I'll still be mailing in my ballot the first chance I get. Local races matter.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

It's salt.
Oct 25, 2017
I’m speaking my truth as a Jewish poster. I ask you to take it into consideration going forward as a fellow Jewish poster.
I do, and I ask the same. Trying to frame this as me defending antisemitismfeels bonkers. We've talked about ways to improve the way antisemitism is being handled, and the thing that's making you feel unsafe is an inane post about Zombie Hitler?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
do you understand how low the voter turnout is in this country? sitting out November is absolutely not an Era based opinion lol

I have specifically been watching the democratic voter turnout in order to come to that conclusion. The overall percentage of non-voters in the US is not whats being discussed there as a percentage wouldn't vote no matter what.

emag

Oct 26, 2017

There are still enough delegates in upcoming states to give Sanders an overwhelming majority, no forfeiting or delegate reassignment necessary.

In fact, there are enough delegates left to give even Gabbard an undeniable plurality, one that would nearly match Biden and Sanders’ current combined total.

What I’m saying is that there’s still time to get Biden to drop out OR for voters to do the right thing. Doing so requires people to exert pressure on the DNC, on Biden, on the media, and on other voters.

Status
Not open for further replies.