Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) resources and discussion thread (Discussion guidelines in OP)

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
this might be a dumb question, but how is frozen or cold food treated for delivery or pickup? Last time I went to the grocery store they had a whole bunch of orders in bags behind the service desk waiting for pick up, and it made me wonder what they do if someone orders milk or ice cream or something
so I did order frozen veggies, milk and eggs both times I used the service. the items arrived in excellent condition, milk was cold, frozen stuff was still frozen, no cracked eggs.

my guess is they keep the stuff cold in refrigeration until it’sready to be picked up.

they ask you to “check in” when you are on your way there, so I assume that’s when they get ready to bring the stuff out.

It’s a great great service. I hate Walmart and all, but this is what I will be using while we are on lockdown. Minimal contact.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
It's really shitty their airlines just have vouchers right now. They get a bailout and still hold our money hostage. I really doing think I'm going to be traveling anywhere in the near future so that 500 bucks would be better suited back in mine and my girlfriend's pocket right now.

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
What are people using for grocery delivery? InstaCart and all participating stores are completely backed up (I know because of the strike).
Not sure the area you live in, but with delivery not being an option I just hit up one of our local asian markets. They were incredibly well stocked (on everything besides rice anyways), it wasn't nearly as packed as a traditional grocery store, everyone was doing well about social distancing, and I'd say a good 80-90% of the people in there were wearing masks besides me. Unless you're truly quarantined, that may be an option if delivery isn't?

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
So Ecuador health services seem to have collapsed and there are dead bodies on the streets. Any users from that country can tell us something about it? I thought dead bodies couldn't transmit COVID-19, so I'm either wondering if they're not taking any dead people because they're afraid of catching the disease, or if it's because there are no resources for moving the bodies and burying them.

Naru

May 11, 2019
We are three weeks into a probably year long pandemic in Germany.

We only (seemingly) managed to stop exponential growth here for now because of strong containment measures that can't be held up all year long. Look how FDP is already getting impatient because of the economy.
Not really. The US equals a third world country in many aspects, i wouldn´t even be surprised if the death toll blows past a million.
There are still larges parts of America that aren’t taking this seriously, that’s why people are saying 200k may be more realistic then it should be.
Part of it is probably that it is so difficult to understand or comprehend. Such high numbers, even if you understand what exponential means. Especially if people around you still say the flu is worse...

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It's really shitty their airlines just have vouchers right now. They get a bailout and still hold our money hostage. I really doing think I'm going to be traveling anywhere in the near future so that 500 bucks would be better suited back in mine and my girlfriend's pocket right now.
American Airlines gave me a full refund for a flight to Japan scheduled for this upcoming Friday. I really didn’t have to jump through any hoops surprisingly.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

What are people using for grocery delivery? InstaCart and all participating stores are completely backed up (I know because of the strike).
I used Instacart in GA (Roswell) on Saturday. It said it wouldn't come till Wed, but it came just 2 hours later that same day. Obviously that was before the strike went live.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
So Ecuador health services seem to have collapsed and there are dead bodies on the streets. Any users from that country can tell us something about it? I thought dead bodies couldn't transmit COVID-19, so I'm either wondering if they're not taking any dead people because they're afraid of catching the disease, or if it's because there are no resources for moving the bodies and burying them.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I just watch a video of what you might be talking about, and I think those guys were scared of catching it after the sheet came off.

This a horrible time for the whole world.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
American Airlines gave me a full refund for a flight to Japan scheduled for this upcoming Friday. I really didn’t have to jump through any hoops surprisingly.
That's good to hear, mine is through Allegiant so who knows. I was thinking of giving them a call just to see what would happen. I saw some senators sent a letter to the major airlines saying you got a bailout so give people who need their money back their money back. I doubt that would really get anywhere but it should've been in the legislation.

Ron Paul

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
considering the current state of the american healthcare system, i'm not really surprised.
Has little to do with healthcare. The survival rate for Covid19 is better in America than many countries. Our problem is the failure of a job our governments have done shutting down the country and the citizens haven’t taken it as seriously. Some beaches in Florida are still open to the public but that will finally change at midnight tonight when the stay at home order goes into effect. But yeah, it has taken this long just to get to that step

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone seen any information how this virus affects infants and toddlers ages <1-3?
Ignore that other panicky reply. There are relatively few cases of coronavirus reported in young children and the cases are generally much milder than what adults suffer. Worldwide there is only one reported death of an infant with coronavirus and the cause of death remains under investigation (so it's not clear the coronavirus caused it). Obviously, be careful—a sick baby is never fun. But you should be far more worried about grandma and grandpa than small children.

Do we even have new numbers for Washington state yet? Last I heard they haven't put any out since Saturday do to being overwhelmed.
Still no update in WA. I wonder if that's what's dragging down nationwide testing numbers--we were one of the biggest testers, and the volume of testing has crashed our system, but we haven't officially reported any tests in the last four days.

fruity20

Aug 5, 2019
Has little to do with healthcare. The survival rate for Covid19 is better in America than many countries. Our problem is the failure of a job out governments have done shutting down the country and the citizens haven’t taken it as seriously. Some beaches in Florida are still open to the public but that will finally change at midnight tonight when the stay at home order goes into effect. But yeah, it has taken this long just to get to that step
that makes more sense.

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Has this been posted yet?

BAT working on potential COVID-19 vaccine through US bio-tech subsidiary.

Not really sure what to make of it.

pixelation

Oct 26, 2017
I live in Tijuana (Mexico), the numbers of infected people reported is very low and they hardly go up (in all of Mexico). I don't really believe the numbers, people really don't take precautionary measures (I have overheard people saying "we're Mexican, nothing will happen to us"). Something tells me the government is lying (not to mention our stupid president asking people to hug each other less than two weeks ago, that it was nothing serious).

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Ignore that other panicky reply. There are relatively few cases of coronavirus reported in young children and the cases are generally much milder than what adults suffer. Worldwide there is only one reported death of an infant with coronavirus and the cause of death remains under investigation (so it's not clear the coronavirus caused it). Obviously, be careful—a sick baby is never fun. But you should be far more worried about grandma and grandpa than small children.
I appreciate that and all other Replies as well.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Is the USA the first country where newborns and young children die?
No. There is no epidemic of children dying in the US. One infant WITH coronavirus died in Illinois, but the actual cause of death is not known and under investigation. If it turns out to be coronavirus-related, it would be the first and only death of a preteen child due to the coronavirus in the world.

There was a major news story about a California teenager dying of coronavirus but it was later discovered that coronavirus was not the cause of death and she has been removed from the list of coronavirus dead. These are the only cases to the best of my knowledge.