• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 5 days, 7 hours, 42 minutes, 53 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Nintendo First Party Thread |OT3| Internal x External x Publishing - What's cooking?

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's because much like Sony and Microsoft, All of Nintendo's first party software is now produced through a single division, that being EPD. Similar to Worldwide Studios for Sony or Xbox Game Studios for Microsoft. They also seem to be more willing to spend a bit more game budgets (not AAA budgets, but something like RFA wouldn't have had nearly the budget for a new IP it did if it was made on the Wii U). Another difference is that there seems to be more of a focus on reaching diverse and specific audiences in Nintendo's first party games than back in say, the Wii U days. Nintendo is still uniquely Nintendo, but it does seem they've taken a few ques from the other two regarding first party strategy in recent times.
Their Switch lineup feels very much like a continuation of what they’ve been doing for years to me, just more focused, refined and purposeful. That is very likely due to their development resources being consolidated into EPD. But I don't really see how this points to them having a bigger focus on "mature" games. I don't think anything in Nintendo's lineup is really comparable to the bread and butter of Sony or Microsoft. We'd have to see them invest way more into genres like shooters or racing games, not to mention presentation and narrative.

laziboi

Oct 25, 2019
Their Switch lineup feels very much like a continuation of what they’ve been doing for years to me, just more focused, refined and purposeful. That is very likely due to their development resources being consolidated into EPD. But I don't really see how this points to them having a bigger focus on "mature" games. I don't think anything in Nintendo's lineup is really comparable to the bread and butter of Sony or Microsoft. We'd have to see them invest way more into genres like shooters or racing games, not to mention presentation and narrative.
Nintendo is still Nintendo. But I just think they have taken a few ques from the way Sony and Microsoft run their first party lineup with the Switch.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it, the only thing that reminds me of Sony/Microsoft's output is how Nintendo's software has become more "global", so to speak. Every first party title by them has been localized, with most getting released on the same day worldwide. With few exceptions, their games are all global SKUs as well (as in, the same cart worldwide).

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
The way I see it, the only thing that reminds me of Sony/Microsoft's output is how Nintendo's software has become more "global", so to speak. Every first party title by them has been localized, with most getting released on the same day worldwide. With few exceptions, their games are all global SKUs as well (as in, the same cart worldwide).
Woah...sounds really mature.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Halo: Reach on PC so here's your weekly daily reminder that the Switch still doesn't have a flagship FPS. Thanks for reading.
I'm surprised none of the big mobile games have been ported yet. I know Modern Combat made it, but not the recent multiplayer ones. Shadowgun still isn't out despite the announcement, and Activision isn't even gonna port CoD Mobile

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised none of the big mobile games have been ported yet. I know Modern Combat made it, but not the recent multiplayer ones. Shadowgun still isn't out despite the announcement, and Activision isn't even gonna port CoD Mobile
Madfinger just released Shadowgun War Games. (edit: I guess it's still in beta) I think the Switch port of Legends might be dead.

Oct 26, 2017
even Nvidia was touting the game as a show of power of the Shield TV

To be honest, the game isn't that great anyway but in 2018 the idea of a somewhat competent multiplayer FPS on Switch was still an appealing novelty. With Paladins and Overwatch, even if the latter isn't the best port, a new game really would have to set itself apart and I don't think Shadowgun Legends is that game.
Call of Duty Mobile seems pretty good though, maybe Tencent and TiMi Studios can convince Activision or just make something original.

Mar 18, 2018
Updated Intelligent Systems from 151 (Dec 2018) to 180 (July 2019) based on their job page (linked in quote).
This is based on this post on EAD Ninja's forums.

Reason for the big jump according to the post:
Looking more closely at the website most of the new employees are new graduates. According to their mynavi page 23 of the 30 employees are new graduates. This is a big jump in comparison to the new graduates they hired in 2018(11) and 2017(3). Also on their company profile one of their goals for the year was to promote youth employment, so they're really making it a mission to add younger employees.
Staff numbers for various studios:

EPD: 850 ~ 900 (700ish in Kyoto, 150-200 in Tokyo)
Monolith Soft: 224 (as of end of Sept 219)
Nd Cube: 118
Retro: ~110 (according to LinkedIn, minus a number of fake looking profiles)
1UP Studio: 61 (May 2019) - as big as they've ever been as far as I can tell, even when they were Brownie Brown.
NST: 36~40
--
HAL: 169 (July 2019)
Intelligent Systems: 180 (July 2019)
Game Freak: 143 (Dec 2019, FT + contract FT employees only)
SRD: 140 (April 2019 - incl. web development group)
Good Feel: 131 (April 2019, incl. mobile division)
Next Level: ~105 (according to LinkedIn)
Arzest: 80
Grezzo: 62 (2018)
Camelot: 44 (2010, probably more now)
indieszero: 41 (June 2019)
Genius Sonority: 22
--
Nintendo (global consolidated): 6,113 (Sept 2019)
NCL: 2,378 (Sept 2019)
Mario Club: 289 (January 2019)

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018

NCL posting about 2021 new graduate hiring starting from Dec 24th this year.

New graduate hire numbers from previous years (totals, including non-dev roles):
2016: 51
2017: 56
2018: 59
2019: 81
2020: planned to be 83 (61 "technical" positions, 22 admin positions, based on my understanding)

Some images from the making of a scene in the BotW2 trailer from here

I don't recognize this image/game (source)

Last edited:

Naga

Aug 29, 2019

NCL posting about 2021 new graduate hiring starting from Dec 24th this year.

New hire numbers from previous years (totals, including non-dev roles):
2016: 51
2017: 56
2018: 59
2019: 81
2020: planned to be 83 (61 "technical" positions, 22 admin positions, based on my understanding)

Some images from the making of a scene in the BotW2 trailer from here

I don't recognize this image/game (source)
Really cool!
Isn't the last one a demo they've shown before for their own game engine?

laziboi

Oct 25, 2019
Maybe a leak for an unannounced game? Then again, that wouldn't make much sense considering how tight-lipped Nintendo usually is on those kinds of announcements.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
the likely answer? a bunch of random shit in their dev environment for the sake of a photoshoot

a bit different than the Creatures UE4 image as that at least implied they're working with a third party engine

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I honestly think MP4 will ship with some kind of multiplayer component. I'll be surprised if it doesn't. the game might need more than its own two legs to stand going so late in the Switch's life (unless they cross-gen it)
also seriously, there's no reason they shouldn't recycle Blast Ball for MP4's multi component. Smooth out the netcode (maybe by virtue of not being on 3DS it will have solved itself somehow) and you're golden. Pretty it up a bit, add some more customization and stuff. Boom.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
also seriously, there's no reason they shouldn't recycle Blast Ball for MP4's multi component. Smooth out the netcode (maybe by virtue of not being on 3DS it will have solved itself somehow) and you're golden. Pretty it up a bit, add some more customization and stuff. Boom.
I'm seriously hoping they have NST working on a rebooted Hunters multiplayer mode. it was more fun than it had any right to be