Nintendo First Party Thread |OT3| Internal x External x Publishing - What's cooking?

May 20, 2018
Ponds
Wait for it....’S’Platoon Battle Royale. 20 teams enter, one leaves in an ink rainbow of PTSD and Crusty Sean tickets.

I may have been drinking a little tonight.

Oct 26, 2017
We should expect some new spinoffs this gen of Nintendo’s big series. Zelda is due for a new spin-off this gen (not eshop!)

What kind of spin-off could Zelda get on Switch? I would like to see something that uses the BotW map. I never played Links Crossbow training, but maybe something in that sense in a BotW map? I know battle Royale will be brought up.
I always hoped that AlphaDream would work on a Zelda RPG after Mario & Luigi but that dream is dead now. Other than that, a co-op puzzler like Portal 2 would be nice. But I know that neither is happening.

A battle royale would be a pretty unoriginal take on the series to me.

Jan 11, 2018
I always hoped that AlphaDream would work on a Zelda RPG after Mario & Luigi but that dream is dead now. Other than that, a co-op puzzler like Portal 2 would be nice. But I know that neither is happening.

A battle royale would be a pretty unoriginal take on the series to me.
It's an absolute travesty that we haven't gotten a proper Zelda RPG. Link or no Link, I don't care. Hell, they could even just essentially copy Super Mario RPG or TTYD. I just want to run around and have a grand adventure with a big party utilizing the unique abilities of all the cool races in the Zelda series, wrapped up in a big dumb silly Nintendo RPG story.

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
It's an absolute travesty that we haven't gotten a proper Zelda RPG. Link or no Link, I don't care. Hell, they could even just essentially copy Super Mario RPG or TTYD. I just want to run around and have a grand adventure with a big party utilizing the unique abilities of all the cool races in the Zelda series, wrapped up in a big dumb silly Nintendo RPG story.
I never thought of a Zelda rpg. I have thought of Nintendo’s own “Kingdom Hearts”. Main character goes around visiting different Nintendo universes would be amazing for me.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
Luigi got his own spin-off, Yoshi too, (Captain) Toad as well. We can alqo still hope to see a new Wario game on Switch, one way or another.

It's definitely time for a Bowser-focused series..

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
Since this is more appropriate here too.

Retro just put up two more positions they’re hiring and they’re both CONTRACT positions.
1) Contract Product Tester
2) Contract Concept Artist

Contracts are only for a certain time or game. They hired a Product Tester on a contract earlier this year. He’s the only one they have and we assumed it’s for Metroid Prime 4. I guess they need another one for MP4?

The Contract Concept Artist is the more strange one. They have a few concept artist at Retro already (full time employment). Why hire another one on a contract only? Are they still figuring out concepts of MP4 since the game was announced to come to them 11 months ago?

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
Since this is more appropriate here too.

Retro just put up two more positions they’re hiring and they’re both CONTRACT positions.
1) Contract Product Tester
2) Contract Concept Artist

Contracts are only for a certain time or game. They hired a Product Tester on a contract earlier this year. He’s the only one they have and we assumed it’s for Metroid Prime 4. I guess they need another one for MP4?

The Contract Concept Artist is the more strange one. They have a few concept artist at Retro already (full time employment). Why hire another one on a contract only? Are they still figuring out concepts of MP4 since the game was announced to come to them 11 months ago?
3D Dank Kang for TGA CONFIRMED

Oct 26, 2017
Their New Medieval IP being some sort of "3D Soma Bringer" would be great. It toed the line between a story focused single-player RPG and a co-op game pretty well, I thought. If Dragalia Lost had been more successful, they could have made a console game as well.

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
Quite possibly, although the last 2 posts it havent been exact on time. Also its a Sunday so they might need time to get ready.
True. The last 2 came later than we were expecting. I say today because yes it’s Sunday in America, but later in the afternoon/evening will be Monday business hours in Japan.

Mar 18, 2018
Well, it's not Monolith, but Game Freak did update their page ... unfortunately the number hasn't changed (143), but I've included the note that I think they added that this number is only FT/contract FT employees..

Staff numbers for various studios:

EPD: 850 ~ 900 (700ish in Kyoto, 150-200 in Tokyo)
Monolith Soft: 224 (as of end of Sept 219)
Retro: ~140 (according to LinkedIn)
Nd Cube: 118
1UP Studio: 52 (May 2019) - as big as they've ever been as far as I can tell, even when they were Brownie Brown.
NST: 36~40
--
HAL: 169 (July 2019)
Intelligent Systems: 151 (Dec 2018)
Game Freak: 143 (Dec 2019, FT + contract FT employees only)
SRD: 140 (April 2019 - incl. web development group)
Good Feel: 131 (April 2019, incl. mobile division)
Next Level: ~105 (according to LinkedIn)
Arzest: 80
Grezzo: 62 (2018)
Camelot: 44 (2010, probably more now)
indieszero: 41 (June 2019)
Genius Sonority: 22
--
Nintendo (global consolidated): 6,113 (Sept 2019)
NCL: 2,378 (Sept 2019)
Mario Club: 289 (January 2019)

Kaitos

Oct 25, 2017

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
Feel free to share a source for your 110 number if you have it and I will update, but there's still 146 people listed as employees on their company page on Linkedin.
That’s the thing the source is LinkedIn. I’ve been through it when you click it and I’m pretty damn sure Retro don’t have no Chefs working in South America or dj in Aruba or Brazil or Helsinki, etc.

Lots of those LinkedIn profiles that say they “work” at Retro is bs. When you actually count the real profiles out it comes out to around 110 people working at Retro. AND I’m being generous by saying 110 because if I count the real profiles out it’s about 101-102.

Jan 11, 2018
That’s the thing the source is LinkedIn. I’ve been through it when you click it and I’m pretty damn sure Retro don’t have no Chefs working in South America or dj in Aruba or Brazil or Helsinki, etc.

Lots of those LinkedIn profiles that say they “work” at Retro is bs. When you actually count the real profiles out it comes out to around 110 people working at Retro. AND I’m being generous by saying 110 because if I count the real profiles out it’s about 101-102.
I believe this. It was always weird that Retro seemed to double in size basically overnight. Nintendo released an official employee count back in June 2017 I believe and Retro was listed at 70+ then. Who knows though. If it is 140 maybe a lot of those are just contractors?

Mar 18, 2018

Ok yeah there's a few BS looking ones there. So I'll lower to 110. Not sure how you're differentiating the 110 real profiles from the 102 real profiles, though.

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
I believe this. It was always weird that Retro seemed to double in size basically overnight. Nintendo released an official employee count back in June 2017 I believe and Retro was listed at 70+ then. Who knows though. If it is 140 maybe a lot of those are just contractors?
Idk. I find it hard to believe Retro has like 4 dj’s contracted out around the world or a chef at United Arab Emirates lmao.

Ok yeah there's a few BS looking ones there. So I'll lower to 110. Not sure how you're differentiating the 110 real profiles from the 102 real profiles, though.
I only say 110 because some Retro employees might not have a profile, but if you want you could put like 105 to leave wiggle room since we don’t have the exact number. I think during TF development they only had like 70 some people. They’ve grown, but not some huge explosion. They have lost a little more than a handful of people this year.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Anyone have recommendations for a good 3rd party Switch dock?
Wrong thread.

FUNKNOWN iXi

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong thread.

Cool, thanks.

laziboi

Oct 25, 2019
Does anybody feel that in recent years, Nintendo's first party strategy is much closer to Sony and Microsoft's without loosing that Nintendo uniqueness. By which I mean, there's more focus on "Mature" games, New IP for core gamers, and more emphasis on a diverse range of games compared to the Wii U and maybe the 3DS days.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody feel that in recent years, Nintendo's first party strategy is much closer to Sony and Microsoft's without loosing that Nintendo uniqueness. By which I mean, there's more focus on "Mature" games, New IP for core gamers, and more emphasis on a diverse range of games compared to the Wii U and maybe the 3DS days.
no

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
No there’s not.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo's output was like Sony's they'd be busy making narrative focused games about Sad Dads. Thankfully they're focused on making fun games instead!

Oct 26, 2017
Not really and I'm not sure how you could have come to this conclusion. They themselves have only created one new IP I'd classify as "mature" (Astral Chain), most of their new stuff tends to skew more non-traditional (Labo, 1-2-Switch, Ring Fit Adventure...)

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Having followed Nintendo since the n64 days, it certainly feels like there's a greater variety of IP published by Nintendo compared to say, the Gamecube days, when everything was Mario this or that.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Having followed Nintendo since the n64 days, it certainly feels like there's a greater variety of IP published by Nintendo compared to say, the Gamecube days, when everything was Mario this or that.
That was generally the peak of Mario sports spinoffs, before some of them were dropped or consolidated together in Olympics/mixes/etc. Which makes it weird that some people are so certain that another Strikers will happen anytime soon.

laziboi

Oct 25, 2019
Not really and I'm not sure how you could have come to this conclusion. They themselves have only created one new IP I'd classify as "mature" (Astral Chain), most of their new stuff tends to skew more non-traditional (Labo, 1-2-Switch, Ring Fit Adventure...)
I think it's because much like Sony and Microsoft, All of Nintendo's first party software is now produced through a single division, that being EPD. Similar to Worldwide Studios for Sony or Xbox Game Studios for Microsoft. They also seem to be more willing to spend a bit more game budgets (not AAA budgets, but something like RFA wouldn't have had nearly the budget for a new IP it did if it was made on the Wii U). Another difference is that there seems to be more of a focus on reaching diverse and specific audiences in Nintendo's first party games than back in say, the Wii U days. Nintendo is still uniquely Nintendo, but it does seem they've taken a few ques from the other two regarding first party strategy in recent times.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's because much like Sony and Microsoft, All of Nintendo's first party software is now produced through a single division, that being EPD. Similar to Worldwide Studios for Sony or Xbox Game Studios for Microsoft. They also seem to be more willing to spend a bit more game budgets (not AAA budgets, but something like RFA wouldn't have had nearly the budget for a new IP it did if it was made on the Wii U). Another difference is that there seems to be more of a focus on reaching diverse and specific audiences in Nintendo's first party games than back in say, the Wii U days. Nintendo is still uniquely Nintendo, but it does seem they've taken a few ques from the other two regarding first party strategy in recent times.
Nintendo's games were always produced by a single division. that never changed. spending more on budgets is inherent to better hardware. their diverse audiences don't seem any different than what they were doing with the Wii/DS/3DS/Wii U. they do have more faith in making core titles, but outside stuff like ARMS, it's not that different

laziboi

Oct 25, 2019
Nintendo's games were always produced by a single division. that never changed. spending more on budgets is inherent to better hardware. their diverse audiences don't seem any different than what they were doing with the Wii/DS/3DS/Wii U. they do have more faith in making core titles, but outside stuff like ARMS, it's not that different
Prior to the Switch, Nintendo's software R&D was split between Miyamoto's EAD and Iwata/Takahashi's SPD. EAD handled all the big Nintendo games, while SPD handheld smaller titles and externally developed titles. Currently, Ninendo EPD is the divsion that runs all of Nintendo's software, with Takahashi at the helm.