Nintendo First Party Thread |OT3| Internal x External x Publishing - What's cooking?

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
Unfortunately, I think it's Nintendo's choice to turn Wario into a party-game franchise (and I like Wario Ware too, but that's not the same). They always had talents available to make new Wario plateformers.

laziboi

Oct 25, 2019
Nintendo hasn’t want to do it for how long now? It’d be nice to see them make some more of their own IP’s in house.
There's probably somebody within Nintendo who has a good idea for a Wario Platformer. It'd be wise to take a risk on new talent with such an IP. For those saying it won't happen because Wario doesn't sell. I think the opprotunity costs argument is BS. If a new Wario Land can pull a solid 2-3 million, then it'd be worth the effort.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo-made Wario Land games are more dead than F-Zero.

Both Wario World (Treasure) and Shake It (Good Feel) were outsourced, with Wario Land 4 being the last entry from Nintendo proper back in 2001. After they made the first WarioWare in 2003 they never looked back.

It's a shame because a game like NSMB2 screams Wario game with its concepts around collecting as many coins as possible, and coin based powerups.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
As far as EPD, this is likely the projection of in-house projects for the next fiscal year (March 2020 - March 2021)
  • Production Group 05 (Animal Crossing)
  • Production Group 10 (New 2D Platformer - Mario Universe)
  • Production Group 03 (BOTW2)
  • Production Group 08 (New 3D Platformer - Super Mario Odyssey )
  • Production Group 07 (Tomodachi 2, Rhythm Tengoku Switch)
  • Production Group 04 (One Last Casual Game? Switch Sports? Labo 05? Casual Party?)
  • Ports + / Remixes (Brain Age, Pikmin 3)
Then I assume it's all works for the next hardware (cross compatible?)

Oct 27, 2017
As far as EPD, this is likely the projection of in-house projects for the next fiscal year (March 2020 - March 2021)
  • Production Group 04 (One Last Casual Game? Switch Sports? Labo 05? Casual Party?)
Speaking of internal games (that is, excluding games like Link's Awakening or Sushi Strikers), I think we'll see a Splatoon spin-off (maybe single player-focused) from EPD5, before they move out to Switch 2 and Splatoon 3. The IP is just too big.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of internal games (that is, excluding games like Link's Awakening or Sushi Strikers), I think we'll see a Splatoon spin-off (maybe single player-focused) from EPD5, before they move out to Switch 2 and Splatoon 3. The IP is just too big.
Yeah I see Splatoon 3 and Mario Kart 9 launching the next major iteration of hardware. Whether it's Switch 2 or Switch +.

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
Is the new 3D Mario game going to have a new director? I’m looking at the first page and I remember Motokura was the director of Odyssey. Looks like he moved up?

Shiba

Oct 25, 2017
Something like Splatoon Sunset Overdrive would be cool.

Though they could probably do something like that on a smaller scale for Splatoon 3’s SP.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
I generally don't like open world games but I've always said Splatoon would work extremely well as one. Sunset Overdrive is my GotG, and I imagine something along those lines.

Shiba

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a small open-world-ish environment would be really fun to traverse with Splatoon's movement mechanics.
I generally don't like open world games but I've always said Splatoon would work extremely well as one. Sunset Overdrive is my GotG, and I imagine something along those lines.
Especially if you can play it in coop as well. Could add extra variety it terms what’s to bring in Splatoon 3.

Mar 18, 2018
Feels like we should be able to get 1-2 more new IPs/ideas out of them this gen. 3DS & Wii U got a bunch of "new" stuff like SMM, Splatoon, Rusty, NES Remix, amiibo Festival. Don't feel like we've quite hit that level yet.

laziboi

Oct 25, 2019
Feels like we should be able to get 1-2 more new IPs/ideas out of them this gen. 3DS & Wii U got a bunch of "new" stuff like SMM, Splatoon, Rusty, NES Remix, amiibo Festival. Don't feel like we've quite hit that level yet.
maybe one more out of EPD, the rest might be outsourced
We will definitely see much more new in-house IP from Nintendo this gen. There's little reason not to do so.

Naga

Aug 29, 2019
Another saturday with the same old Star Fox discourse I see.
I don't really see which kind of spinoff they can do for Splatoon that doesn't feel like a waste. They'll probably add just more modes to Splatoon 3 instead of a separate game.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Another saturday with the same old Star Fox discourse I see.
I don't really see which kind of spinoff they can do for Splatoon that doesn't feel like a waste. They'll probably add just more modes to Splatoon 3 instead of a separate game.
Focus on the idol/fashion aspects and make a rhythm game.

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
We should expect some new spinoffs this gen of Nintendo’s big series. Zelda is due for a new spin-off this gen (not eshop!)

What kind of spin-off could Zelda get on Switch? I would like to see something that uses the BotW map. I never played Links Crossbow training, but maybe something in that sense in a BotW map? I know battle Royale will be brought up.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
We should expect some new spinoffs this gen of Nintendo’s big series. Zelda is due for a new spin-off this gen (not eshop!)

What kind of spin-off could Zelda get on Switch? I would like to see something that uses the BotW map. I never played Links Crossbow training, but maybe something in that sense in a BotW map? I know battle Royale will be brought up.
Some sort of multiplayer spinoff is long overdue for 3D Zelda.

It’s not what I want, but it’d make a ton of sense. Especially in a big world like BotW’s.

I just hope they’d separate the games and not try and shoehorn a mode into BotW2. Go all out with both.

3D Mario got one with 3D World, Aonuma’s second convention to break was single player.... it’s time.

Terraforce

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe something in 2021 for the 35th Anniversary. Next year I'd only expect BotW 2 in terms of Zelda. We're also due for a Hyrule Warriors 2 for either next year or 2021 to also coincide with the anniversary.

stealthyfrog

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019

Probably something multiplayer. I want a co-op Diablo clone with asset reuse from Link's Awakening.

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
Some sort of multiplayer spinoff is long overdue for 3D Zelda.

It’s not what I want, but it’d make a ton of sense. Especially in a big world like BotW’s.

I just hope they’d separate the games and not try and shoehorn a mode into BotW2. Go all out with both.

3D Mario got one with 3D World, Aonuma’s second convention to break was single player.... it’s time.
I agree it’s time for a new multiplayer game for 3D Zelda. We have no new multiplayer Zelda fames

Maybe something in 2021 for the 35th Anniversary. Next year I'd only expect BotW 2 in terms of Zelda. We're also due for a Hyrule Warriors 2 for either next year or 2021 to also coincide with the anniversary.
Nintendo did say they wanted a Zelda game every year. I also expect BotW 2 in 2020. 2021 would be a good time for a multiplayer Zelda game

Probably something multiplayer. I want a co-op Diablo clone with asset reuse from Link's Awakening.
Diablo clone is something Nintendo doesn’t really have. And this is what I like. Take your most popular IP’s and create spinoffs of them in genres you don’t cover. Like we talked about earlier with a Splatoon spin-off in a rhythm game/fashion game.

I’m still keeping hope for a Pauline game where we control the city. Something where we use her power as Mayor to do everyday tasks and funding of New Donk City.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
A SimCity style game starring Pauline would be neat. Of course, Dr. Wright should make an appearance as well.