Nintendo First Party Thread |OT3| Internal x External x Publishing - What's cooking?

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
I know, but 1up arcade was able to obtain the license to use TMNT Arcade game (which is TMNT II NES) and Turtles in Time (TMNT IV SNES). I'm sure if 1up arcade could obtain the license and agreement from Konami, then why couldn't Nintendo? Sure Konami would want part of the cut, but I don't see why they would object. They have licensed their ip to Nintendo before (Momotaro Dentetsu), they don't own the TMNT license anymore so its not like the are making any new TMNT games, and It would be free money for them.
why would nintendo care about TMNT. and people don't care about TMNT games anymore. it's a very niche audience

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
why would nintendo care about TMNT. and people don't care about TMNT games anymore. it's a very niche audience
Why would Nintendo care about Fatal Frame or Bayonetta? They are both non-Nintendo games with niche audiences. That hasn't stopped Nintendo from investing in those ips. Same situation here. The TMNT games sold very well on Nintendo platforms (I believe [I may be wrong] that TMNT NES was the first 3rd party million seller on the NES) and many people who are now in their 30s+ would be nostalgic for them. It has the same selling potential as any other retro compliations, which seem to be selling really well (especially on Switch). It could very well find a sizable audience on Switch.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Nintendo care about Fatal Frame or Bayonetta? They are both non-Nintendo games with niche audiences. That hasn't stopped Nintendo from investing in those ips. Same situation here. The TMNT games sold very well on Nintendo platforms (I believe [I may be wrong] that TMNT NES was the first 3rd party million seller on the NES) and many people who are now in their 30s+ would be nostalgic for them. It has the same selling potential as any other retro compliations, which seem to be selling really well (especially on Switch). It could very well find a sizable audience on Switch.
they own those games that they produced. they don't own those games you mentioned. also, those games sold well decades ago. TMNT doesn't move units anymore. some people might be nostalgic for them, but I highly doubt they will buy these games in worthwhile numbers.

you're better off asking Konami to make their own compilation. or 1up Arcade. nintendo doesn't give a shit

Mylatestnovel

Jan 1, 2018
Nintendo should do something with Metal Gear Solid. And pay for PES. They can’t guarantee EA are going to do FIFA games for them and they need to have a football game.

Basically Nintendo should buy Konami’s gaming division.

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo should do something with Metal Gear Solid. And pay for PES. They can’t guarantee EA are going to do FIFA games for them and they need to have a football game.

Nintendo buying Konami's Digital Entertainment division would just leave them with a bunch of janitors.

Is there a list somewhere of all the licensed games Nintendo has developed/published?
Sadly I couldn't find anything. There's these two lists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_products <-- this has all games published by Nintendo
https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Licensed_games <-- this should have all licensed games released on Nintendo systems

If someone wanted to figure this out.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Press were given early previews of the Nintendo Tokyo store opening this Friday.

This is an incredibly powerful view at Nintendo's interests in their IP portfolio. It's something that has been very apparent for people observant of their actions the past few years, but here there's no speculation, it's laid right out in front of us.

Basically the store is divided into Mario, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Zelda equally. Kirby and Pikmin get smaller isles of merchandise in the store. Then a Pokemon store is sitting right next door, which Nintendo and TPC are having a crossover merch line between Mario and Pokemon.

Last edited:

delete12345

Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Press were given early previews of the Nintendo Tokyo store opening this Friday.

This is an incredibly powerful view at Nintendo's interests in their IP portfolio. It's something that has been very apparent for people observant of their actions the past few years, but here there's no speculation, it's laid right out in front of us.

Basically the store is divided into Mario, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Zelda equally. Kirby gets a smaller isle of merchandise in the store. Then a Pokemon store is sitting right next door, which Nintendo and TPC are having a crossover merch line between Mario and Pokemon.
Interior designers are a must when it comes to laying out the foundations of attractive points of interests to customers.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, but they haven't shown any other IPs in their storefront yet? (say xenoblade, FE, ARMs)?
Probably not, especially so for the former two series. At least they won't be in the store for the foreseeable future. Despite Xenoblade and Fire Emblem being owned by Nintendo, it's probably too much of hassle to create merch products for both series. They'd have to bring in Monolith Soft and Intelligent Systems. Also they're very niche series compared to Mario and the likes.

ARMS has the potential to be added to the lineup someday since it is made by the same group responsible for the popular series.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
nope

It's just the four titans
No, only the four big IP have been featured for the store. Kirby has a small aisle, and Pikmin are featured in Nintendo's lineup of characters although we haven't seen merch of that series yet.
I'm not sure FE or Xenoblade play well to the kinds of merch that are sold in these stores. not unless there's an enthusiast/collectors section
Probably not, especially so for the former two series. At least they won't be in the store for the foreseeable future. Despite Xenoblade and Fire Emblem being owned by Nintendo, it's probably too much of hassle to create merch products for both series. They'd have to bring in Monolith Soft and Intelligent Systems. Also they're very niche series compared to Mario and the likes.

ARMS has the potential to be added to the lineup someday since it is made by the same group responsible for the popular series.
That's disappointing but understandable. I know that FE has merchandise (the smash lords all have plushies) so I was wondering if they would go that route. Still surprised at no DK though.

Jarmusch

Oct 25, 2017
It's fairly obvious a new non-maker 2D Mario is coming sooner or later.
super mario bros 5, now the real sequel. just gotta nail the artwork, go wild with the level design and give it to a new gen to develop. it needs fresh blood and concepts

Also, give starfox to new level games or to the guys who made starlink, i feel that the franchise would be ideal for a western dev to do. I would like to give it to kamiya but i dont trust his storytelling instincts, specially not with star fox

I would give platinum, team ninja or from software a chance at a new murasame castle though. it could be a soulslike or character action

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Land

Basically the store is divided into Mario, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Zelda equally. Kirby gets a smaller isle of merchandise in the store. Then a Pokemon store is sitting right next door, which Nintendo and TPC are having a crossover merch line between Mario and Pokemon.
So in terms of franchise hierarchy:

Super Mario
Mario Kart
Super Smash Bros.
Pokemon
Zelda
Splatoon
Animal Crossing

Kirby
Fire Emblem
Luigi’s Mansion
Donkey Kong
Yoshi

Xenoblade
Bayonetta
Pikmin
Metroid
Wario

RIP
Star Fox
F-Zero
LABO

Momo

Oct 25, 2017

Super Mario
Mario Kart
Super Smash Bros.
Pokemon
Zelda
Splatoon
Animal Crossing

Kirby
Fire Emblem
Luigi’s Mansion
Donkey Kong
Yoshi

Xenoblade
Bayonetta
Pikmin
Metroid
Wario

RIP
Star Fox
F-Zero
LABO
One of these is not like the others...

JB2448

Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Super Mario
Mario Kart
Super Smash Bros.
Pokemon
Zelda
Splatoon
Animal Crossing

Kirby
Fire Emblem
Luigi’s Mansion
Donkey Kong
Yoshi

Xenoblade
Bayonetta
Pikmin
Metroid
Wario

RIP
Star Fox
F-Zero
LABO
Labo should not be on this list. Everything else checks out. I guess EarthBound gets its own special -1 ⭐ too. Given the Mother 3 situation, this makes sense.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think something to note is that how well a franchise performs on the software side doesn't necessarily mean it translates into big merchandise presence. Like yeah the big 4 Nintendo IP + Pokemon have it all, but it's more once we dive into smaller IP.

Fire Emblem for instance has been a huge success on software for the last generation, with FEH being Nintendo's most successful mobile game they published by far. But when it comes to merchandise it does have a presence, but a pretty small one aimed at the otaku crowd.

Kirby on the other hand has been incredibly consistent, sitting around the same ~2 million copies it always sells. It hasn't been getting big spinoff projects like how FE has gotten FEH, #FE, and FEW. However it towers over FE in its merchandise presence, particularly in Japan. If I had to assume, it's that Kirby appeals to a far bigger demographic as a character so they see bigger potential in him outside of gaming.

Overall I'd say the two of them are pretty comparable in the overall scheme of important IP, but I thought it would be interesting to think about how they are leveraged.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019

I think EA is more or less forced to publish a release every year on Nintendo plateforms because the Fifa wants the game to be everywhere, but they clearly don't give a shit about the Switch version. That's sad. But they'll say that their audience is not there anyway. I really wish Nintendo can edit a real football game (I mean not like Strikers). What Next Level did is absolutely not what I want.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Land
Where would you slot in Mario Party and Mario Sports?
Despite labelling it as ‘Super’ Mario I had considered those as part of the behemoth Mario brand, encompassing the platformers, sports titles, RPG’s, crossovers, puzzle games...

As Yoshi, Luigi’s Mansion and Wario stand on their own though I guess the varying Mario lines should be considered separately too.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Looks like I spoke too soon, as Pikmin merch has been spotted in the store. Makes sense since they were on the character banner after all.

So Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon have huge presence.

So far Pikmin and Kirby have been spotted too. Pokemon as well, but it's a crossover merch line with the Mario series. (Half in Nintendo Tokyo, the other half in the Pokemon Center right next door)

Cheebo

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Despite labelling it as ‘Super’ Mario I had considered those as part of the behemoth Mario brand, encompassing the platformers, sports titles, RPG’s, crossovers, puzzle games...

As Yoshi, Luigi’s Mansion and Wario stand on their own though I guess the varying Mario lines should be considered separately too.
I think Mario Party and the Golf/Tennis line of games have established themselves away from Super Mario as their own brands similar to Mario Kart.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
I think EA is more or less forced to publish a release every year on Nintendo plateforms because the Fifa wants the game to be everywhere, but they clearly don't give a shit about the Switch version. That's sad. But they'll say that their audience is not there anyway. I really wish Nintendo can edit a real football game (I mean not like Strikers). What Next Level did is absolutely not what I want.
Retro was making an American football game way back. Maybe they can try again

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
That's exactly what I was thinking about. After MP4, it would be interesting to see them working on a different type of game. Instead of a new soccer game, NLG could be a very interesting choice for a new DK too.

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo Q1 2020 games so far

Japan:
17 Jan - Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
20 Mar - Animal Crossing: New Horizons

NA:

Europe:
3 Jan - Brain Age: Nintendo Switch Training
14 Feb - Snack World: The Dungeon Crawl - Gold

Snack World is self-published by L5 in NA, same date as the EU release. Wonder when they're gonna bring over the Yokai Watch 1 remake/remaster and YW4.

Naga

Aug 29, 2019
Nintendo Q1 2020 games so far

Japan:

NA:

Europe:
3 Jan - Brain Age: Nintendo Switch Training
14 Feb - Snack World: The Dungeon Crawl - Gold

Snack World is self-published by L5 in NA, same date as the EU release. Wonder when they're gonna bring over the Yokai Watch 1 remake/remaster and YW4.
MPT for February then.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Basically the store is divided into Mario, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Zelda equally. Kirby and Pikmin get smaller isles of merchandise in the store. Then a Pokemon store is sitting right next door, which Nintendo and TPC are having a crossover merch line between Mario and Pokemon.
This reminds me of the time someone asked for a Metroid ride in the theme park and another person replied “you’ll be lucky to find a Samus keychain in the corner of the gift shop” lmao

:(

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

If it has "Mario" in its name, then it should be part of the bigger Mario brand. It's the burden of carrying that name.

Super Mario Bros. for example is part of the brand, just like Kart, Tennis and Party.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of the time someone asked for a Metroid ride in the theme park and another person replied “you’ll be lucky to find a Samus keychain in the corner of the gift shop” lmao

Japan Nintendo has a slight difference of marketing IPs than american/european nintendo. Metroid is more valuabe in the west and thats why the Nintendo New York store has a (though small) metroid section. Will that mean you are going to see a metroid ride in orlando or los angeles in the future? Not a chance, nintendo seems to cover the international best selling IPs first. But still im pretty sure they will have metroid merchandise at the american parks and if at the end of the day, the rumour of the smash show coming to orlando alicia stella said comes into frution, maybe even a character walkaround with Samus. But for this to happen a hub for the samsh show should be built were its more generic nintendo for that to happen.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There's a chance that there is some Metroid merch at Super Nintendo World, if the rumored Super Smash Bros. show gets made.

Also Universal's IP preferences aren't completely 1:1 with NCL. They're building a Donkey Kong Country land, meanwhile all DKC gets as merch from Nintendo Tokyo is DK and Diddy as part of the Super Mario plush line. DK isn't even in the character lineup of their mascots. lol

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
There's a chance that there is some Metroid merch at Super Nintendo World, if the rumored Super Smash Bros. show gets made.

Also Universal's IP preferences aren't completely 1:1 with NCL. They're building a Donkey Kong Country land, meanwhile all DKC gets as merch from Nintendo Tokyo is DK and Diddy as part of the Super Mario plush line. DK isn't even in the character lineup of their mascots. lol
what?! How credible is this?!

Edit; why did I think TV show...

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
what?! How credible is this?!

Edit; why did I think TV show...
Oh, sorry for not clarifying! It would be a live show at a theme park auditorium. One with digital and practical effects and the like.

Alicia Stella is the biggest name in leaks on Universal Studios projects, and she has been mentioning that Universal is considering it. In her words, it is something the creator of Smash is apparently pushing for.

So if that attraction has character meet and greets and a gift shop, I could see Samus merch ending up in the parks since Samus is one of the most featured Smash characters.

Last edited: