Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation |OT11| All Hell Has Broken Loose. CONTEST INSIDE!

What the hell, did this poll change? What about my vote?

• No, no, no..... You're seeing things.

Votes: 36 12.2%
  • Too bad

Votes: 19 6.5%
  • Pats hood: "This baby will get 12 teraflops to the gallon, I tell you what"

Votes: 82 27.9%
  • Cashews

Votes: 25 8.5%
  • A silly plastic box full of walnuts

Votes: 26 8.8%
  • I AM A BANANA

Votes: 45 15.3%
  • My SPOON is too BIG

Votes: 61 20.7%

• Total voters

Wulfer

Oct 29, 2017
So a more real Prediction of the unveiling:

Sony does announce things 2 OR 3 weeks prior to the event (when we account the past events like the PS Meeting 2013 or the TLOU II reveal)

Before TLOU II was delayed I always thought there is no chance for a reveal for the PS5 in February, but then they pushed it back ( I really think, this is one of the main reasons for the delay)

By GDC 2020, all ( or in other word: a lot of ) developers will have near-to-final/final devkits, so a Leak is very certain since it will be almost impossible to know where the leak did come from by then, so some dev(s) will be willing to have a fame time (which they will then use for maybe future BS that is less true xD - but hey the specs were right xD)

April: FF Remake - no Chance
May: TLOU II - no Chance
June: According to Tom Warren XSX will be unveiled before it, so maybe May? No way for a first unveil, Sony will go for a counter like in 2013 to steal the show.

So March before GDC is the only available option, to be able to gain massive attention twice like back in 2013 , so from a marketing standpoint IMHO, March before GDC must happen. Also I doubt, they want their secret sauce aka SSD to be leaked by a dev rather than by Mark Cerny himself.

So my guess: By March 1st, the event will be announced, or even earlier (since 2 weeks from March 1 is the 15th which is a Sunday, the day before GDC 2020, doesn't make sense to announce it here), but it has to be AFTER March 5th, where AMD is going to talk about their RDNA 2 architecture, which may be one reason why they push it after that event ( I mean they certainly will talk about RT etc., so I really doubt AMD will let allow them to unveil these features rather than themselfs in regards to Nvidia and its GTC 2020 which takes place 3 weeks later.)

The reveal has to happen now or in March, its the same situation like back in 2013, where the PS was revealed in February, and TLOU came out in June, to not disturb each other, and to gain the most of both)

March : First Look

May/June: Counter with Price announcement!

What do you think?
What makes you think MS will reveal XSX price at E3???

They don't have to do that! Actually I love to see the uproar if MS decides not to reveal a price at that time! Phil has said on many occasions E3 is about showing games. I think MS show more hardware details and a peek at their vision but, I don't expect a price reveal. They don't have too!

MS's job at E3 is to give the public/consumer a reason they have to have XSX. Price isn't their concern at E3!

Last edited:

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
So you guys think Lockhart, if it exists, will be launched on the same day as Series X?
My personal guess is it won't be the same date, but will launch within 1 month of XSX. So late 2020 before Black Friday. Maybe late October for XSX and mid-Nov for Lockhart.

Why?
- Makes no sense to have a big time gap as many have pointed out, given devs need to support both.
- The longer the period between XSX and Lockhart, the more confusion across Xbox One and Xbox (Series ___). I'm guessing MS would prefer to just end the Xbox One line as fast as possible and move on, not have store shelves with a mix of XSX, XB1X, XB1S, and XB1SAD. Lockhart at $300-$400 takes over the current range of XB1 devices, with XSX as the new premium device at a hard $499 or $599. Possible exception is that they keep a $200 XB1SAD on shelves for super budget play.
- Having two launch dates gives them two media cycles / launch "events" to hype.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
My personal guess is it won't be the same date, but will launch within 1 month of XSX. So late 2020 before Black Friday. Maybe late October for XSX and mid-Nov for Lockhart.

Why?
- Makes no sense to have a big time gap as many have pointed out, given devs need to support both.
- The longer the period between XSX and Lockhart, the more confusion across Xbox One and Xbox (Series ___). I'm guessing MS would prefer to just end the Xbox One line as fast as possible and move on, not have store shelves with a mix of XSX, XB1X, XB1S, and XB1SAD. Lockhart at $300-$400 takes over the current range of XB1 devices, with XSX as the new premium device at a hard $499 or $599. Possible exception is that they keep a $200 XB1SAD on shelves for super budget play.
- Having two launch dates gives them two media cycles / launch "events" to hype.
Wouldn't marketing and launching each one independently just lead to more confusion? Hype the games, hype the new console(s) that both play those games, and then in as simple and meaningful terms as possible explain the two price points. Launch them together and hope your message worked. They'll probably both sell out anyways given typical launch availability of new consoles.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
Wouldn't marketing and launching each one independently just lead to more confusion? Hype the games, hype the new console(s) that both play those games, and then in as simple and meaningful terms as possible explain the two price points. Launch them together and hope your message worked. They'll probably both sell out anyways given typical launch availability of new consoles.
Yeah, maybe. I'd say launching on the same day is also a likely option. I just feel like having two chances to make headlines would be attractive to MS. And I'm not sure confusion is really a thing - enthusiasts who know what a Series X is will get it regardless, and casuals who want something cheaper will buy a Lockhart when they walk into WalMart or whatever.