• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 5 days, 8 hours, 16 minutes, 26 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT7| - nm

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic but i wonder if next years E3 will be bigger or smaller hype wise as compared to E3 2013 thanks to the next gen consoles.
Assuming one of them doesn’t bungle their reveal, consumer and developer hype will be bigger but less focused on E3. There was a lot of skepticism about consoles’ viability at the time. Poor generation for Sony, and terrible launch for Wii U. The Mattrick debacle was icing on the cake.

Noctis114

Jan 25, 2019
Assuming one of them doesn’t bungle their reveal, consumer and developer hype will be bigger but less focused on E3. There was a lot of skepticism about consoles’ viability at the time. Poor generation for Sony, and terrible launch for Wii U. The Mattrick debacle was icing on the cake.
It was indeed the icing to an already delicious cake, god the whole Mattrick controversy and Sony using it to their favour was hilarious to witness live, He was a gem that one lol.

Noctis114

Jan 25, 2019

My favourite one.

Love what Phil Spencer is doing with Xbox at the moment and a far better head of Xbox Then Don "My work here is done" Mattrick but damn E3 2013 was hilarious.

Can't wait to see both companies kicking ass next year and hopefully try to avoid another 2013 disaster, don't think we've had a console launch with all console makers having universally beloved console at launch in the market since the 6th gen.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It was indeed the icing to an already delicious cake, god the whole Mattrick controversy and Sony using it to their favour was hilarious to witness live, He was a gem that one lol.
It wasn't even just Mattrick (despite how clueless he was). The whole Xbox Team just seemed to be so out of touch with reality. Mr Yusuf "don't ever let me speak in public" Mehdi was my absolute favourite for unabashedly dropping gaffe after gaffe, while not giving a single shit 😂

Can't wait to see both companies kicking ass next year and hopefully try to avoid another 2013 disaster, don't think we've had a console launch with all console makers having universally beloved console at launch in the market since the 6th gen.
If you consider all the platform warring that still goes on, I don't think we have one this time.

Nov 20, 2019

Tonky

Aug 26, 2019
People have been designing games around load times for so long”, he said, suggesting that will no longer be the case with next-gen consoles like Project Scarlett, which was revealed during Microsoft’s E3 briefing. The next-gen Xbox’s SSD results in 40 times performance increases over the current generation, according to the platform holder.
Booty said: “To be able to have the power, the SSD to unlock a new approach to game design… We’re probably sitting on a pivot point in game design, when you add up the new console’s speed and performance, what cloud streaming will offer up when all the instances of a multiplayer game are running in one location, what it means to be running a game in a data centre… all that in combination with some of the hardware stuff could be as big a transition as when we went from 2D to 3D.
Bolded possibly suggests Scarlett exclusives? If developers get to design games around reduced load times, that would require SSD.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I really do see Sony just redoing the PS Meeting and having another event/conference in February of next year

the teaser for the PS Meeting for the PS4 was on Jan 31st so this month most likely will just be about PS nostalgia again, ironically like the build up to the PS4 conference that had those PS1-PS3 videos

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Nothing is changing that is as nearly as big as when we first went from 2D to 3D environments. Slow down Booty. Yeesh.

i was there when System Shock blew minds.

SSDs and cloud are not that type of evolutionary leap.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
Bolded possibly suggests Scarlett exclusives? If developers get to design games around reduced load times, that would require SSD.
Of course there will be Scarlett exclusives. Are people expecting them to ship a new console and not use its features?

Anyway the entire "MS crossgen only" narrative is based on interpreting one thinly sourced rumor from an unreliable site (WC). I'm expecting the obvious: some cross gen games and some exclusives to show off the new hardware.

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I read it, its fine...sure SSDs and Cloud are nothing special, but the way games are designed with that in mind along with other improvements in Hardware will be a massive leap. bigger worlds, Texture Streaming Improvements, LOD improvements etc. Going to 10 plus TFLOPS (approx) is already big as the baseline.
And none of that is in the same universe as the breakthrough of 2D to 3D, which was my contention.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Looking back at this thread is going to be pretty funny once everything gets officially unveiled. =) Some people are clearly going to be wrong and it'll be interesting to see if anyone tries to defend their initial points from the side they chose to push.

Tonky

Aug 26, 2019
Of course there will be Scarlett exclusives. Are people expecting them to ship a new console and not use its features?

Anyway the entire "MS crossgen only" narrative is based on interpreting one thinly sourced rumor from an unreliable site (WC). I'm expecting the obvious: some cross gen games and some exclusives to show off the new hardware.
Nah. Booty said games would scale to the hardware, and include Xbox One when mentioning that.

Oct 25, 2017
I read it, its fine...sure SSDs and Cloud are nothing special, but the way games are designed with that in mind along with other improvements in Hardware will be a massive leap. bigger worlds, Texture Streaming Improvements, LOD improvements etc. Going to 10 plus TFLOPS (approx) is already big as the baseline.
A big leap, yes. But...

And none of that is in the same universe as the breakthrough of 2D to 3D, which was my contention.