New The Witcher Trailer - December 20th

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized this has Richard Horne from Twin Peaks as a Nilfgaardian. He's going to be the BIGGEST asshole in this.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I like how it looks, I'm down to check it out, but I'm also hoping that they're saving all the awesome monster slaying stuff for release and that it's substantial.

I'm not interested in a repeat of Castlevania S2 where I trudge through hours worth of mind-numbing conversations with thick accents to get to 40 seconds worth of the stuff a Witcher supposedly spends the majority of their time and energy doing as a profession.

The swordplay is cool, though.
Have you read the books?

I would say you might be a bit disappointed. Not that there isn’t some monsters but it’s not a monster of the week with big fights sort of thing. Especially won’t be that way with trying to introduce more of the Saga stuff early, which leans even more heavily into politics and stuff and less monsters than the short stories.

Last edited:

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Looks decent. Wish the trailer hinted at a bit more horror vibes but theyre probably aiming for the GoT audience

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I take it that I'll be disappointed, then.
sorry, edited that in but you didn’t catch it:
I would say you might be a bit disappointed. Not that there isn’t some monsters but it’s not a monster of the week with big fights sort of thing. Especially won’t be that way with trying to introduce more of the Saga stuff early, which leans even more heavily into politics and stuff and less monsters than the short stories.

But even the short stories are more about humans and relationships and stuff.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
You know what I’d love to see?

An hour-long episode between seasons that’s one of the short stories, which are more monster-slaying related.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
You know what I’d love to see?

An hour-long episode between seasons that’s one of the short stories, which are more monster-slaying related.
This whole season is based on the short stories. You can see scenes from The Witcher, The Lesser Evil, and A Question of Price. And they pretty much have to do The Last Wish.

I would also guess they’re doing The Edge of the World or flashing back to it or something since it was Geralt and Jaskier’s first adventure together.

Lord Fagan

Oct 27, 2017
sorry, edited that in but you didn’t catch it:

But even the short stories are more about humans and relationships and stuff.
Okay. Again, I'm certainly gonna check it out, and I understand they're aiming to fill the Game of Thrones void, so I'm using that as my baseline of action to exposition ratio.

I like Henry Cavill, and the idea of gritty Kryptonian beefcake sharing knowing glances and suggestive conversations with hot actresses isn't gonna ruin my day. I'll keep an open mind, I just hope there's some legit bizarro creature stuff because the opportunity to capitalize there is greater than with Thrones, which watered down those more fantastical elements a bit too much for my tastes. The stuff was there, sure, I just wanted more.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Okay. Again, I'm certainly gonna check it out, and I understand they're aiming to fill the Game of Thrones void, so I'm using that as my baseline of action to exposition ratio.

I like Henry Cavill, and the idea of gritty Kryptonian beefcake sharing knowing glances and suggestive conversations with hot actresses isn't gonna ruin my day. I'll keep an open mind, I just hope there's some legit bizarro creature stuff because the opportunity to capitalize there is greater than with Thrones, which watered down those more fantastical elements a bit too much for my tastes. The stuff was there, sure, I just wanted more.
Yea again the games REALLLLLYYYYY exaggerated the fantastical elements in the books. Like it's definitely more fantasy than GoT but it's definitely a story about a monster hunter in a post monster infested world. Where the real monsters are ofc, the humans he was created to protect.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Probably depends on what season of thrones you wanna compare to. Budget and action ain’t getting near season 7 or 8 but I’d expect maybe more than season1/2 which weren’t heavy action at all. There’s some potential for sword swinging in most episodes I think depending on how they play it.

It’ll definitely have more fantastical elements than Thrones, which cut things to dragons and dire wolves exclusively early on. This has sorceresses, dryads, dwarves, etc. and there’s some creatures in some of the stories too. Magic and creatures are more open than Thrones where they’re more a mystery people don’t really believe in.

But yeah it’s not really monster of the week stuff. The games played that up because it’s stuff for you to do, but in the books you get the important parts of Geralt’s life.

Later on in the books even the premise of monster hunting kind of goes by the wayside for the saga. But the saga is almost more about Ciri than Geralt so it makes sense.

Lord Fagan

Oct 27, 2017
It’ll definitely have more fantastical elements than Thrones, which cut things to dragons and dire wolves exclusively early on. This has sorceresses, dryads, dwarves, etc. and there’s some creatures in some of the stories too. Magic and creatures are more open than Thrones where they’re more a mystery people don’t really believe in.
Yunno what, that'll do me just fine. I'm not expecting the attention to fantasy slaying be turned up to 11, because that's certainly not the audience this show seems like it's aiming for. But if we could just dial it up just a notch or two from Thrones in terms of the variety of concepts, that'd be great.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Looks great. Hopefully these production values will remain for scenes outside of the trailer. Going to binge this over Xmas.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm purely a fan of Witcher from a game perspective, but this still looks absolutely awesome and several scenes gave me a "shoutout to the videogame fans" feel. The voice, certain mannerisms when in combat or not, I'm digging it. This should be great.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
To me, everything is still very recognizable and not terribly unfamiliar even if you've only played the games. I can't imagine fans of either being that put off unless they're purists of some kind.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
OK I'll watch it. I guess.

But the shriveled garbage bag armour still looks like trash, just as much as it did in the leaked photos. I can't believe nobody stopped and said "wait, this looks terrible, let's rethink this" during production..

TheMango55

Nov 1, 2017
I see some Game of Thrones style sExposition going on in the background while characters talk about something completely unrelated.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
My god this is going ot be epic. This will be my GoT, since I got in to GoT super late and then that ending happened. This should fill that fantasy void well.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
It actually looks really fun and good, if not a little hokey. Geralt is wayyyyy too "hot" though, and it's disappointing that he doesn't have cat eyes either. I wish they'd have picked someone who was a little less conventional looking.

And also does he have an American-sounding voice or a standard fantasy accent? Seems to alternate, like the "fangs" line is clearly the dry, accentless voice like in the games, but then "I'll take that chance" is more fantasy-voice sounding? Unless that's a different character speaking.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
This looks good, but I can’t help but shake the feeling that all Netflix original shows have some kind of similar feel to them. I don’t know if it’s like the cinematography, or what, but they all have a very similar look.
To me, everything is still very recognizable and not terribly unfamiliar even if you've only played the games. I can't imagine fans of either being that put off unless they're purists of some kind.
I agree that it is very recognizable, I think they have found a good mix based on this trailer. And I've read all the books and played the games.

So far, it feels like it takes and mixes design inspiration from the books as well as designs from the game, especially from the Gwent card game.

If you play Gwent and see the card artworks, you will see tons of world lore design that quite matches what we see in this Netflix TV series.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
It actually looks really fun and good, if not a little hokey. Geralt is wayyyyy too "hot" though, and it's disappointing that he doesn't have cat eyes either. I wish they'd have picked someone who was a little less conventional looking.
At least this trailer had him looking a bit rougher. I had to start watching the old Polish show to scrub the image of Legolas of Rivia off my mind after the first trailer. He was... he was the most beautiful.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really good.

I'm typically not a big fan of Henry Cavill, but he looks great as Geralt.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized this has Richard Horne from Twin Peaks as a Nilfgaardian. He's going to be the BIGGEST asshole in this.
Yeah he was very Dennis Hopper-esque in that. Great psycho.

Also geralt has a fantastic look for Geralt, warmed up to it now. And the sword fighting looks nice. Hopefully its not mediocre fantasy though. As shit as Game of Thrones got towards the end the first 4 seasons had some great material to work off of which made the show excel in the fantasy genre like nothing else since LOTR. hopefully this is up to snuff.

Slaythe

Oct 25, 2017
1) He is not "conventional" looking

2) He gets uglier when he uses potions

3) He doesn't have cat eyes in the books