Nest WiFi or Eero Mesh?

Oct 27, 2017
I just got the nest Wifi since my wife is working at home and needed a more stable connection up stairs and so far it’s working flawlessly for her. Easy set up, the nest WiFi app is pretty nice, can turn off internet per device. We got the 4 pack from Costco, only have three running now. Basement, main floor, and upstairs. 2100 sq foot townhouse

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Gonna pull a Mac user and recommend something you didn't ask for. Ubiquiti unifi. It's the best system for your money, period.

It also comes with the added bonus of not coming from a company that wants to monetize your data and push advertisements to you.

OP
OP
peppermints

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been hemming and hawing over a purchase for the past week. I think I've settled on this: TPLink Deco M4

What sort of features am I going to be missing compared to an Eero or a Nest Wifi? We're a 4 family household, but both kids are 5 and under so they won't be doing anything intensive other than streaming stuff on the AppleTV. Our router is in my office in the basement and it's more than adequate to reach the living room, which is directly above my office, but struggles to get signal to our bedroom which is at the total opposite end of the house. Will the TPLink Deco M4 be sufficient for extending range to the bedroom?

We won't be doing anything other than streaming stuff off an AppleTV in there, plus normal phone browsing. Again, main TV has no issues as it's directly above the office with the router and that's where all the consoles are too so not worried about that. And my PC is in the office hardwired to the existing router.

We currently pay for 500 down from our ISP as well.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a newer Nest set up but rather a Google Wifi mesh in my block construction home. Its been pretty amazing for us for the last two or so years. I recommend the nest/Google Wifi set up.

Stinkles

343 Industries
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a dirt cheap three pack of Deco mesh nodes. It was replacing a shitty old wifi router and a terribad wifi access point/repeater. Compared to my old situation of a couple of dead zones, frequent drops and spikes and latency, it's a godsend. I'd love to have gooten a more expensive set but I'll wait till wifi6 I think.

I do wish I'd made the change ages ago tho. Gamechanger.

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Are these mesh solutions good for gaming?

I have a Nighthawk R7000 (which I've had various issues with) and am in need of an upgrade. It's only me, so even though I have various devices running off Wifi (like Chromecast) where a more consistent connection could be a benefit, my gaming devices are all running off ethernet.

Or should I just wait until Wifi 6 and just get a modem upgrade in the meantime?

kvetcha

Oct 27, 2017
I use Plume and have been really happy with the performance.

(note: I got in with a lifetime plan before they got rid of it. Not sure what I think at $99/yr.)

OP
OP
peppermints

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I use Plume and have been really happy with the performance.

(note: I got in with a lifetime plan before they got rid of it. Not sure what I think at $99/yr.)
I've never heard of this until today. I was reading a review of Eero on ArsTechnica and the reviewer kept comparing everything to how great Plume is. Didn't realize it was subscription based. Not sure I like that.

How concerned should I be with the source companies for these devices? Obviously Eero is owned by Amazon, Nest is Google.. Are the EULAs a privacy nightmare? Does it matter these days?

Oct 27, 2017
I got 1 Eero Pro and 2 beacons with my house got free. I haven't had any issues whatsoever. Coverage is good over my 3200sqft house. Speed is fine.

It's more or less the exact same as what I got with Google WiFi tbh. But the Eero was easier to mount in my data closet so, *shrug*

kvetcha

Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard of this until today. I was reading a review of Eero on ArsTechnica and the reviewer kept comparing everything to how great Plume is. Didn't realize it was subscription based. Not sure I like that.

How concerned should I be with the source companies for these devices? Obviously Eero is owned by Amazon, Nest is Google.. Are the EULAs a privacy nightmare? Does it matter these days?
It’s a fair concern. I’m comfortable with the way Plume operates - they proxy some traffic if you have ad blockers enabled on the network level so they can shut down redirects to blacklisted sites. But you can turn that off if you like.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna pull a Mac user and recommend something you didn't ask for. Ubiquiti unifi. It's the best system for your money, period.

It also comes with the added bonus of not coming from a company that wants to monetize your data and push advertisements to you.
UniFi seems to be an enterprise level solution with a wide array of products. I was wondering whether you'd have any advice on how to look at this solution from a consumer perspective?

In my case, I'd like one device acting as an AP next to my ISP's router, and another device upstairs extending the network (and optionally providing an Ethernet bridge).

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have time to provide here.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
UniFi seems to be an enterprise level solution with a wide array of products. I was wondering whether you'd have any advice on how to look at this solution from a consumer perspective?

In my case, I'd like one device acting as an AP next to my ISP's router, and another device upstairs extending the network (and optionally providing an Ethernet bridge).

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have time to provide here.
Yea np.

I use the system almost in this exact way. I have switches because I needed them. But the most amazing thing is you can buy two APs set them up and they'll still create a single SSID in your house, just like an enterprise wifi system. Your devices will transfer from one AP to the other and you won't have to do anything. You'll need ethernet to each one but it will work no porblem just two APs.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks, much appreciated. Would be perfect if each didn't need ethernet. That seems a bit counterproductive - in that if I had ethernet in the upstairs location, I wouldn't be trying to beef up the wi-fi!

I was imagining getting two of the smallest AP's (UAP-AC-LITE) for £80 each. But if they both need an ethernet connection, I may just get one and run ethernet from the router under the stairs to a convenient point on the first floor.

At that point I'd have to consider forgetting the AP and just running Ethernet all the way to where I need it! Would need to go around at least two door frames. I'll think on it some more. Thanks again for the reply