My PS2 looks shit on my 4k TV

ThingsRscary

Mar 10, 2019
Hi guys,
So I am looking for a solution for my PS2 HDMI adaptor that can at least make it visually acceptable.
I still play with my PS2 and I was using this adaptor since all TVs now don't have AVI

is there any device or adaptor that can help me with my problem?

RoninStrife

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah.. those don't really work. Their just getting it to work, but I dont think it upscales or anything.(think it's the same as just using component.. and getting a 480P image stretch to 4K)
Your best bet with decent resolutions will be emulators on pc... or what I envy very much.. a launch PS3 Phat with PS1/PS2 game playback via HDMI.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
this might work? Have no experience with it but heard it's good.

jsnepo

Oct 28, 2017
Get a component cable and the OSSC.

Now it depends on how good your TV can upscale 480p content but if it does it well, you can settle for the Retrotink-2X instead of OSSC.

bane833

Nov 3, 2017
I mean it´s a PS2. The only way to make this not look like shit is emulation or a CTR.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Read up on OSSC and Framemeister and see if they're something you can afford. They're expensive, especially the Framemeister, but if you want a really clear picture on an hdtv there is no good alternative imo.

Niosai

Oct 28, 2017
The title of this post made me legitimately laugh out loud. I thought you had somehow rigged your RBG cables to your massive 4K TV expecting it to look good. Triumphantly, you stand in front of the Frankenstein-esque abomination you've created when you suddenly realize: "Oh. This looks like shit."

Emulation's honestly your best bet. If your PC has a disc reader, you can just pop in your PS2 games and play them that way. You can even rip them to your PC so you don't have to swap them out constantly.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
So after looking at several different options including the PS2 backwards compatibility with the launch PS3 (I love my launch PS3, but PS2 games look awful on it) and doing some research online the solution I finally decided on was getting an OSSC.

Component cables coming out of the PS2 going into the OSSC with 4x upscaling is by far the best image quality I've seen for 480p consoles. I love the way my PS2, Wii (and GameCube games running on the Wii), and original Xbox look running through my OSSC. I also just got my N64 modded with RGB and that will also be going through my OSSC when I get it back.

Now it does depend on your preference.

Myself I like sharp pixels, even on 480p consoles and I always prefer games to run at their native, intended resolution.

I personally hate the way PS1, N64, etc. games look running on emulators when the polygons are rendered at a higher resolution but the textures, models, etc. are still the assets that were originally made for 480p.

I also hate the weird smoothing processing some retro upscaler cables use, that turn the pixels into a weird diagonal mess. But if you like that look, those are definitely cheaper than an OSSC. You just have to decide if you think you'd get enough use out of the OSSC to justify the price.

I didn't get my OSSC for one console, I knew I'd be using it with multiple consoles and I also got a component switch box so I can have them all hooked up to the OSSC at the same time.

Cheeky Devlin

Oct 31, 2017
I really cannot recommend Retro Gaming Cables RAD2X solution strongly enough.

It's reasonably priced (£47) and gives a line doubled 480p RGB Signal out through HDMI.

I got their Nintendo one (For SNES/SFC/N64/GC and AV Famicom) and it looks fantastic on my 4kTV.

The PlayStation cable should work for both the PS1 and PS2.

It means you don't need to mess about with expensive upscalers and other bits of hardware such as the OSSC.

EDIT: I will add that it does have a "smoothing" filter which you can switch on and off to suit your preference.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Another vote for the OSSC. It works great, next to zero lag and is compatible with almost every console in my collection (has to be RGB). If you have more than one console that requires upscaling it will work out cheaper than buying individual cables.

Just be aware that it isn't exactly a plug and play solution and compatibility with its various modes such as x3 and x5 can vary greatly depending on your TV.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Is emulation out of question? If you are interested even a 50 bucks athlon 3000g apu will do the job.

Cheeky Devlin

Oct 31, 2017
CRTs are fantastic and I absolutely adore mine, but realistically they're not going to last forever. Not to mention they are power hungry, weigh a tonne and take up loads of space so it's not the most practical solution for most people. That and decent ones are creeping up in price and becoming scarcer.

Emulation is a great way to keep the games alive, but aren't quite the same as real hardware.

I'm going through all my systems just now and doing everything I can to future proof them going forward. So my SNES/Super Famicom now has a RAD2x cable which lets it work on modern screens with the best picture quality it can output. Also combined it with the 8BitDo Retro Receivers so I can have wireless controllers, and an SD2SNES Pro so I can enjoy any game I want on it. It's given them a new lease of life and they've never looked better.

Oct 28, 2017
At least your PS2 actually works on your 4KTV. When I bought my 4KTV and found out I couldn't get a picture from my PS2 I was fuming.

Oct 29, 2017
Read up on OSSC and Framemeister and see if they're something you can afford. They're expensive, especially the Framemeister, but if you want a really clear picture on an hdtv there is no good alternative imo.
OSSC or Framemeister is what you want. It's expensive though
Production has ceased for the Framemeister as of June 2019.
Remaining stock are the last units to be sold.

Micomsoft does have a decent record of keeping their products updated for a while after ceasing production, but as a Framemeister owner myself, I'd get the OSSC if I were to buy an upscaler right now.

iCham

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime I see this kind of thread I am so happy I took the plunge and dedicated some space to a big ass heavy 28 inch CRT tv in a room. Everything up to the Wii look amazing on it.

But yeah apart from a CRT, emulation or upscaling box is your best bet. Even then, if you have a big TV I wouldn't expect something really crisp unless you go emulation.

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
I own an OSSC, some high end Production Monitors like the BVM20F1 etc. and would recommend them unconditionally for 240p sources. But 480i probably looks best on good consumer CRTs. The Bang & Olufsen MX8000 for example. Otherwise you’ll have to live with combing artifacts or deinterlacing lag from your TV.
Whatever you do, go with RGB or component. Fun fact, the PS2 does 480p and even 1080i over RGB Scart.
If you have the space and a small Budget, go for a CRT; with a bit of luck you can get good ones for free.
if you don’t have much free space or aren’t willing to get a CRT, either go with the RAD2X cable or get an OSSC for around 100$ off aliexpress. Don’t forget that the OSSC can open up loads more options for playing old systems.

Last edited:

StoKatZo

Jan 15, 2020
Don't even bother. Old consoles need CRTs to get proper colors and image quality. With PS2 you should just rather get an HD CRT and component cable, and use GSM to upscale to 480P by the console itself or patch games to run in 480P for real (even if performance penalties are bothersome for some games), or get an old scanlines CRT (no 100hz, no HD) and use an official PS2 RGB scart cable(the PS1 RGB cable has a different SYNC signal, which works best with PS1 games). Even with PCSX2, since some rare games run in interlaced resolution even internally, you might need to patch those. Unpatchable games like Transformers or Haven are stuck on real PS2 and old ass CRTs (no HD, no 100hz), if you want the real deal. Are RGB scarts a thing in America? IIRC those don't exist in the US.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
You're taking a 408i/480p image and blowing it up to 4K on a massive TV, it'll always look like trash unless correctly upscaled using a device like the OSSC that performs zero latency line multiplication. There are cheaper solutions than the OSSC, but it's a case of spending £50 on a cable that does 1 or 2 consoles, or £100 on one that will do everything you ever throw at it.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
HD CRTs are a terrible idea for this content, they have just as much lag as the early LCDs.

Read some of the stuff in this thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/retro-av-thread-ot-rgb-crts-upscalers-and-more.1139/

and watch this video

Your best bet is either an OSSC, Framemeister, or wait for the OSSC Pro. Personally if its mostly PS2 content you're playing I would suggest the framemeister. It will have a little bit more lag but its de-interlacing is much better than the bob deinterlacing of the OSSC IMHO. Make sure you have good component cables too.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017

It's reasonably priced (£47) and gives a line doubled 480p RGB Signal out through HDMI.

I got their Nintendo one (For SNES/SFC/N64/GC and AV Famicom) and it looks fantastic on my 4kTV.

It means you don't need to mess about with expensive upscalers and other bits of hardware such as the OSSC.

EDIT: I will add that it does have a "smoothing" filter which you can switch on and off to suit your preference.

Thank you for this, I had used the site some years to purchase some cables to use my Super Famicom with my Sony PVM but had no idea they had since added this kind of HDTV cable solution! Sadly the Super Famicom one is out of stock, hope they get some back in soon!

Last edited:

StoKatZo

Jan 15, 2020
Your best bet is either an OSSC, Framemeister, or wait for the OSSC Pro. Personally if its mostly PS2 content you're playing I would suggest the framemeister. It will have a little bit more lag but its de-interlacing is much better than the bob deinterlacing of the OSSC IMHO. Make sure you have good component cables too.
De-Interlacing quality depends also on the internal resolution of the game, try that with Transformers or Haven (even with PCSX2's deinterlacer) . And you get LAG with upscalers too, so.... I think it's either CRT or patched games in PCSX2 if you want a good flawless experience. But trust me, nothing looks like patched games on HD CRT.

Or else, get completely mad like me, and buy the PS2 VGA adapter. On a CRT monitor, aliasing is atrocious, but colors are so vivid that they might come out of the screen and grab your face.

(Anyone tried to patch games before using an upscaler?? Might solve the deinterlacing issues.)

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
You'll want an ossc and some rgb cables, probably.
Did exactly this recently - its transformative. The PS2 still looks a touch soft though because of its mostly interlaced signals. It takes out the rippling effect this caused on the regular pass through though which is massive improvement.

PS2 looks good via this setup, but It has made my Saturn and N64 look INCREDIBLE though.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
PS2's IQ is really bad (no AA, sub 640x480) & most games are interlaced, despite all the HDMI adapters, there is no way around this. Best option might be to hope PS5 has BC with HD upscaling or PCSX2 if that's an option.

KrisReyn77

Nov 25, 2017
You'd think in this day and age that TVs would at the very least would have an option to just put false scan lines over the top of the incoming image to semi hide the jaggies. Just an option of overlays that can be applied to incoming signals

Televator

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 uses field rendering for most games making them 480i only. To get truly good picture that effectively looks like progressive scan you need a 2 field deinterlacer, preferably with motion compensation to avoid combing artifacts.

The XRGB Framemeister does this and I expect the not yet released OSSC Pro will as well. If you can throw money at the problem, I recommend waiting for the OSSC Pro to come out.

Otherwise just get a RetroTink 2x

Bomblord

Jan 11, 2018
It's going to without expensive add-ons. A few games with a now hard to find expensive cable could output in 720p. And even with add-ons you'll probably still get combing artifacts because de-interlacing is just not good on most TV's. I've seen a mod that claims to make all games output in progressive scan mode that will require installing homebrew and you'll still need cables.

IMO the best solution is emulation (which will still require homebrew to get the BIOS). How good is your PC OP? Because if you have a 3rd gen i5 or better and even a low end GPU you should be able to get much better picture quality. You can also run games straight from any DVD drive.

My other solution is to find a decent CRT on ebay or goodwill's website.

Last edited:

Cheeky Devlin

Oct 31, 2017
Thank you for this, I had used the site some years to purchase some cables to use my Super Famicom with my Sony PVM but had no idea they had since added this kind of HDTV cable solution! Sadly the Super Famicom one is out of stock, hope they get some back in soon!
Yeah they only came out towards the end of last year. They re-stock as quickly as they can and will also open up pre-orders for them from time to time.

They're great value for the Nintendo ones as well since the one cable will work with 5 different systems, so if you have more than one of them it's a cost-effective option.

The PlayStation one is probably my next purchase from them.

SG-17

Oct 25, 2017

Either one of these or a RetroTINK 2x.

You don't need an OSSC for 6th gen systems honestly.

Cantaloup

Oct 27, 2017
Please check out this video, which goes over display options for PS2:

Edit: Totally missed this was posted above. :(

Last edited:

sox

Oct 27, 2017
OSSC for 480i content (ie most of the PS2 library) isn’t a great solution IMO as the bob deinterlacing it does is quite distracting

Nov 23, 2017

This is what I game to recommend, the Saturn ones work well. But then you have to buy them piece meal. Basically this is just the retrotink doubler tech modified to work inside the cables instead of as a box