• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

My invention hit it big so now I'm gonna buy a couple of McMansions (pt.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The one in my shower works great. The one in the sink is hot garbage. 1/2 ain't bad for keeping hair out of my pipes I guess.

May 20, 2018
Ponds
I bought three tubshrooms, one showershroom and two sinkshrooms back when you mentioned your invention in old country. OP, PayPal me a cut of your dough, preferably 5/100th of a dollar.
No but in all seriousness, congrats OP, they are awesome, my shower thanks you.

OP
OP
open_mouth_

open_mouth_

Nov 1, 2017
Probably a silly question but would you be willing to invest into the idea of a physical videogame museum/library?
That sounds cool but I'm currently fully invested in this business and others. How would that museum/library sustain itself financially? Donations? Ticket sales?

I feel even more like a loser now since I haven't made any progress since feeling like a loser from your original thread.
You're not a loser, dude. Winners and losers aren't measured by one's bank account. It's how you treat the people around you.

Did you give up everything to pursue this?
One year before launching this, I changed my focus at my old company from management to diversification into online/amazon sales for the company (they needed to diversify badly). I learned a ton in the process and that division did great for them. Once TubShroom showed signs of life during the Kickstarter and months after. I knew I had to do that full time.

How hard is it to resist the McMansions?
Very hard. I want everyone who drives by to laugh at the ridiculousness.

Hey OP, I'm curious if you have an exit strategy? Or are you so psyched to be doing this that you're just going to keep at it to continue growing the business?
OXO sold to Helen of Troy (large conglomerate) after 10+ years of operation for $100m. OXO did it right. I like the challenge of finding ways to grow (it's not easy!) and working on new stuff. I know we'll have some duds, but hopefully we'll have a few more winners.

seriously: are you taking invention ideas via PM and will you help with the development/distribution and money-hoard-counting responsibilities? I have an idea that would kill in most of the United States :)
I'm always willing to listen, but there's honestly little time/resources to take on new projects at the moment, unless it's can't miss. We've got about half a dozen projects in the works and a few already launching Q4. Things are getting real in the whole foods parking lot.

if you're not going to handle failure...you're not gonna be successful
This.

How did you get the product made? The silicon and the top piece?

How much of your product did you originally make? How long did it take for that to sell out?
We vetted some factories in China. We looked for reliability, track-record, and ease of communication. We did the CAD locally with a freelancer. Once we had estimates from how many we'd need for the Kickstarter, I think our first run was like 15k units? We air shipped early on and packaged them here just to have quick turnarounds since demand was ballooning quickly early on. We had no idea what to forecast since there was no data.

Do you still game much or just focused on your business?
I'm like 4 years behind in gaming. Last two games I beat were Mark of Ninja and Last of Us I think. Both awesome. I've actually cut down gaming and a lot of extra-curriculars (not all though!) around 4-5 years ago to ensure enough time for fam-bam and to hustle like crazy at work.

Your ShowerShroom didn't fit in my shower :(
Sorry to hear it! The grate didn't come off? Stand up shower stall?

When are you on Shark Tank
We spoke with them a few times. I dunno, man.

how did yours get successful? Is it actually novel or was it more marketing?
99% of our customers really, really love it. So there's word of mouth and we've spent millions on marketing/ads. If you have an innovative product that saves people money/hassle, they'll buy it if they know about it. Can't throw money at just anything.... has to convert at a high rate.

I messaged you on the old site to start doing business on the europe side. I never got a reply? Are you interested in crossing the atlantic.
I received several DM's but never saw yours....sorry! Please reach out.

Any advice on how to get contacts, investors or mentors?
There's a lot of shady businesses out there that prey on individual inventors (most are based out of Florida coincidentally) so watch out for those. I think attending trade shows is a good start. Talk to other inventors and there are panels there and loads of industry people. Go out there and meet people and trade cards. Then there's online forums for this stuff too. Gotta invest the time into networking as it's very valuable.

You have failed. I do not have one (or any) of these in my house.
We'll turn you to the dark side eventually

Can you give us a coupon so we can buy one?
FB20OFF 20% off entire order at our website for you fine Era folks

Why should I buy your product?
Because you want to save the planet from toxic chemical drain cleaners like we do

Have you run into any issues with combatting people who post blatantly fake negative reviews?
Thankfully we have over 15k reviews so a few fakes don't impact us that much. We've seen some. I feel for those starting out, though.

I actually combine this product with one of those flower pattern shower chain catchers to help it catch the occasional hair that makes it passed it.
OMG super duper drain wigShroom morphin power

Mine turned black after a while, is that mold?
Mildew. We've added extra mildew protection to our production runs which makes cleaning the unit easier but you have to clean it bi-weekly or so to keep the mildew off. Drain environments are really harsh.

I'd also like two baskets for the drains in our kitchen sink. I've been to 3 different home depots and I still can't find a basket that fits our sink. Gone so far as to take pictures to show and we still can't find anything.
Check the kickstarter. Would that fit your drain?

I have an idea for another drain tube device. Not the same as yours. What do you recommend in terms of turning a simple schematic drawing (read shitty) into a viable model. I have 0 resources when it comes to plastics, 3d printing etc. Who do i present it to that would point me in the right way?
One route could be to hire an experienced individual to do a preliminary patent and prior art search to see if there's anything out there like your idea.

The thing is awesome but almost too awesome

1. Where is the product being manufactured?

China

2. Did you attend the Chicago International HouseWare Expo in 2017? We might have met. I say met in that I might have passed by your booth if you had one.

Yes. It was a pleasure to meet you!

2. Can I get a ERA discount?
See above!

I feel like I come up with pretty good business ideas on the reg but I just don't have the follow through to get anything done :/
Follow through is half the battle... or is that knowing?

every time i see someone with a TubShroom in their house i tell them "i met one of the guys that invented that"
I remember you faceless master. I hope you're healthy and happy!

My question is if have something new in the works (new product) or are you planning a major redesign?
Half a dozen new projects in the works. Not all will make it to market but we're doing our due diligence. The kickstarter shows just two of our latest.

Help me with my rent and finance our game we’re developing dude
Funny story... I was approached by a small EU developer a few years back to invest in their upcoming game(s). Outside of my wheelhouse, but it was interesting to listen.

Im in the beggining process of establishing my own companies so I hope I find the same success as you do. Diversifying is definitely on those things we are planning and im excited.
You will. Research the heck out of stuff, then try them, then scale the good stuff and dump the "failures" and learn from the process. You and your company will keep getting stronger and better. Listen to the How I Built This podcast from NPR. Awesome inspirational stuff. Those guys are one in a million but their habits, work ethic, resiliency, etc. are almost universal in every single one of those founders who hit it big. There's a common theme that everyone should try to duplicate in their day to day.

Have you read the 4 hour work week yet?
I skimmed a summary. I agree with the concept of delegation whenever possible to free yourself up for the things you truly specialize in. There's another book called E-Myth Revisited that talks about how small businesses fail to grow beyond certain levels because the owners/founders can't ever delegate or break free from the day to day enough to do the things necessary to scale/grow the business. My general advice to entrepreneurs is to only pursue something if it shows signs of being able to scale. Like that move in super mario where you use the turtle to get 99 lives. That's a way better use of your time than those other parts where it takes you 10x as much time to get a few extra lives.

How did you go about finding a manufacturer?

If you are manufacturing in China, has the tariffs affected you in any way?

I just came back from working in Import/Export in China. I dealt mainly with plastic products. I met a lot of factories. I love to one day invent something as well.
Google and tradeshows. Tariffs haven't affected quite yet but likely will in the future. You're building those connections and that experience. Save those contacts. Go for it some day and if it turns out great, take it to a relevant trade show or kickstarter.

Help me invest in my product.
Help me help you

I got the shower shroom. It somehow got sucked down my drain, and would often get moldy. Probably won't use these products again, but I won't give a bad review out of respect.
Yeah, our very first version 1.0 of showershroom fell down some peoples' drains and I feel terrible about that. We missed the fact that a small portion of shower stall 2" drains were a tad bit on the larger side than the many that we tested. If you reach out to support with your plumbing receipt, the team can reimburse you. All new showershrooms have fixed this early issue.

"how do you manage to make sure your company is on track and not faltering?". Specifically what are the steps you and your partner take to make sure that you are pushing ahead and staying on top?
One way is to look at sales/earnings reports. That's pretty boring but it's factual as well. Are we retaining our current customers? Are those customers growing their business with us? Are we adding new customers and at what rate? You can't grow rapidly without working on those questions to make sure you have a lot of yes's. It's like the chicken and the egg issue. You need good/great/unique products to pique the interest of the buyers. But is one enough for them to open a new vendor account for you? usually the answer to that is no. The more winning products you can show them, the more time of day they'll give you (and shelf space). And they always ask so where else are you selling this? But if it's a brand new product, you don't have much sales data so you gotta do a great job of convincing them to give you a chance. It's a grind, sometimes.

Still fighting off all those Chinese knockoffs, or did you give up on that front?
Counterfeiting is a one trillion dollar business. We've probably confiscated tens of thousands of dollars worth of fakes. We've also spent hundreds of thousands in lawsuits and brand protection. Some of that recouped in settlements. It's an ugly part of the business. I feel bad for the inventors who come up with something great and then they get knocked off like crazy by Chinese counterfeiters and, worse, by large US-based ASOTV companies who know they make make millions before the inventor can really do anything about it and they know most inventors can't spend the hundreds of thousands to fight them. I've seen it happen to good people.

The one in my shower works great. The one in the sink is hot garbage. 1/2 ain't bad for keeping hair out of my pipes I guess.
#jacknickolsononeoutoftwoaintbad

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I bought a Tub Shroom due to your previous thread. It's an awesome product. It's so much better to slide hair off the Shroom before every shower than to let it tangle up in a traditional hair catcher, or worse, clog my drain. Catches my body hair when I do my monthly trim as well. I'm always amazed by how much more of that there is than I expect, and I love knowing it's not going into the pipes.

Genuinely fantastic invention, and I'm thrilled it's brought you the success you deserve.

Hidden Lemon

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don’t mean this to sound as snarky as it will sound, but why are you still doing kickstarters if your business was a success?

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember that old thread on Gaf. Congrats on the success! Don't let it turn you into an a-hole.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP, congrats. Wanna buy me a new PC? Cant afford shit and I want to play some games.

Samus4145

Oct 28, 2017
The Tubshroom didn't fit in my bathtub. We have some bar or something with s hole in the middle inside the drain so the item is too tall to work, since the water can't get to the top of the product.

-Mikey-

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I remember that original thread and ended up buying one. We love it and it's so easy to clean out. I won some points with my partner. Sorry you never got your mansion.

MrRob

Oct 26, 2017
Embarrassing how many posts in here begging for money.

I'll take care of them for $1000 OP.

Kidding congratulations on your success. Did u ever think about going on Shark Tank?

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i remember the previous thread from lurking the old country, so im super pumped to see where you are now! good on you, man.

i dont think ive ever had a really great invention idea, but i have in the past notoriously dragged my feet on what i thought were interesting ideas only to see them realized by someone really willing to hustle. just recently i was really buckling down in the pre-production stage of creating a prototype for a board game that i thought had a really fantastic and unique concept and theme behind it... only to see a Kickstarter pop a few days later with the EXACT same idea (of course, i think mine wouldve been better realized lol...). how do you not let something like that cripple you?

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
Hey OP:

Have you heard of the SideHustleSchool Podcast? You should reach out to them and tell them your story.

MrWhiskers

Oct 27, 2017
What a great reminder! My girlfriend and I are closing on a house next week and we're concerned about the aging septic tank. Will be purchasing one to try and help that thing last as long as possible! Congrats on all your success OP!

Oct 26, 2017
Whoa, you're the tubshroom guy? You make a great product. Honestly don't know how I dealt with hair in the shower before tubshroom.

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
I could really use the sinkShroom for my daughters sink, but the poster above saying that didn't work has me hesitant.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
open_mouth_ you may want to put that coupon code in a "hide" tag so only members can see it, unless you don't mind the whole of the internet having a 20% discount lol

I need to get around to asking my roommate if he needs one of these. I am personally a hairless wonder and wasn't able to find use for your product until I moved out and started sharing a house with people not in my family lol

OP
OP
open_mouth_

open_mouth_

Nov 1, 2017
No but in all seriousness, congrats OP, they are awesome, my shower thanks you.
Thank you! And thanks to everyone else for the kind words. It means a whole lot!

Is the sink version effective for shaving?
Yes, except the smallest of hairs could get through but those aren't the hairs that cause clogs. It's the 1 inch+ that are the main culprits.

Congrats on the se...success!
I see what you did there!

Genuinely fantastic invention, and I'm thrilled it's brought you the success you deserve.
Thank you! I can't quote everyone who has thrown congrats our way but plz know I appreciate all of it.

I don’t mean this to sound as snarky as it will sound, but why are you still doing kickstarters if your business was a success?
Not snarky at all... nowadays, the biggest crowdfunding campaigns are those done by teams/companies who have had previous success on Kickstarter and who have the resources to really push their new projects. It's become more of a pre-order and marketing platform (which is one form of fund raising) than just a "help me bring this thing to life because I can't do so without your help" (but it's still that too for many people--which is great). You know those million dollar+ campaigns? They often spend hundreds of thousands to promote their projects. If you could sell out your first production run before it even arrives, and your early adopters get their gadgets first, it's a win win.

It came off, but the shroom was too tall so we couldn't put the grate back on.
Bummer! One dude who had a drain like yours cut his ShowerShroom to make it work.

The Tubshroom didn't fit in my bathtub. We have some bar or something with s hole in the middle inside the drain so the item is too tall to work, since the water can't get to the top of the product.
The new stainless steel version could potentially work better. An alternative is to swap out your drain (it's cheap and easy to do--couple of youtube vids show just how easy it can be)

Kidding congratulations on your success. Did u ever think about going on Shark Tank?
Spoke to them a few times. Maybe some day. We actually know the founder of Scrub Daddy really well. Awesome product and a real smart dude. I predict he'll sell to 3M or P&G in a couple of years for $500m+. Funny story about him is that he sold an invention to 3M years back and was actually going to include the Scrub Daddy "tech" with the sale but they didn't want it for the pennies he would have gotten for it. Insane!

only to see a Kickstarter pop a few days later with the EXACT same idea (of course, i think mine wouldve been better realized lol...). how do you not let something like that cripple you?
That's crazy but not all that uncommon. If one door closes, there's always more doors out there that you can open if you keep looking for it. There's just different paths behind each door. I've had a couple of huge missed opportunities over the years. "You can't miss a shot you don't take" -Kobe

Have you heard of the SideHustleSchool Podcast? You should reach out to them and tell them your story.
This is my full time hustle now, though =) I'll reach out, anyway.

I could really use the sinkShroom for my daughters sink, but the poster above saying that didn't work has me hesitant.
If it's about 1.25" wide and you can get the stopper out (which virtually all drains allow for), then the Chrome SinkShroom should work for you.

open_mouth_ you may want to put that coupon code in a "hide" tag so only members can see it, unless you don't mind the whole of the internet having a 20% discount lol
I thought about that but the code expires eventually and that's fine if a bunch of people use it in the meantime--like a lightning deal.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone was looking for an update, the campaign has been moved to Indiegogo:

Dear Backers and Friends,

By now you have received notice that our Kickstarter campaign has been suspended. We have been working with Kickstarter officials to get this rectified, but our efforts have been unsuccessful. You all know us as the original creators of the TubShroom family of products, which we first launched right here on Kickstarter. I guess we learned the hard way that launching follow up products is not always easy on this platform. We must respect Kickstarter's policies, of course.

With that said, we have successfully launched the same campaign on Indiegogo.

You can copy and paste this link in your browser to get to the new campaign.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kitchen-sinkshroom-ultra-tubshroom-no-more-clogs/x/18735965#/)

We have utilized Indiegogo before and they are a highly reliable platform. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you, but rest assured we are still 100% determined to get you the greatest strainers ever created by this holiday season.

Thank you once again for all your support over the years.

Your friends,

Serge & Elena Karnegie

MrWhiskers

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I looked here and saw that indiegogo. Just moved into my house and saw that the shower drain is 2". Luckily it looks like you're making an adapter for that size already. Awesome! Backed for that and the sink one.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
This sounds like an interesting invention, though I must admit I've no idea what problem it solves. You still have to dispose of the hairs, don't you?

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a free idea, make tubeshrooms with the shape of popular anime characters breasts and sell them in Japan.
Serious answer to a somewhat offensive question, the concept of a drain trap has existed in Japan for a while so there's no market. The shower drain for my apartment back when I lived in Japan never had clogging issues because home engineering in Japan doesn't suck. The key innovation here, credit where it's due, is a design backwards compatible with American-style, clog-prone drains. That's a market that won't saturate for some time.

Anyway, OP,
So now I'm browsing that McMansions thread in the hopes of buying something that says "I'm living the american dream".

There is a problem with becoming a workaholic, though... it's hard to shut it off. The mind constantly races. When you're doing something non work-related, you always think "I could be doing something more productive right now". It's pretty messed up. I feel most alive when I'm creating something, so I'm probably going to step away from this project sooner than later. Just thought I should share while I had a free moment.
You don't need to flip between the two. If you're worried the alternative to workaholism is vapid materialism, the next step in life could be to become an investor for creative and/or entrepreneurial efforts. So, so many rich people have absolutely no idea what to do with their money. It's offensive enough that greed is so rampant in this country (having is fine, taking when you have is not) yet to add insult to that injury, the only things most can think to do with their money is to invest in already successful stocks to make more money, or buy a damned yacht. I have no idea how much money you have, don't care to know, but as you should know, there are a lot of good ideas out there that don't need much at all to get going, withering on the vine for lack of (sometimes as little as) a few grand. I'd think it's more exciting to see more ideas blow up than sip margaritas on a depreciating boat, but I concede I'm a misfit.

I have my own projects that might need investment in the future but this is really a shout-out to those I know busting their butts now, the only things preventing their success being luck or circumstance. On their behalf I will say, you having been where you were, now's the time to realize you're in the position to give them that crucial kick others won't provide. (I have a vague idea of hard it is to break through -- most investors live in this stupid Catch-22 world where they only want to invest in successful ideas, but if an idea is already successful, it doesn't need help. That's not entrepreneurship; that's just trying to hijack the bandwagon.) That's still plenty of work to keep you busy -- vetting ideas and such -- but it'll apply much of what you've learned without being as demanding on your time, as it's up to others to make their efforts pay off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
open_mouth_

open_mouth_

Nov 1, 2017
dragonchild, great points! I've actually invested in a small start-up that's doing some great things in the food world, but that's a story for another day, perhaps.

The mods were kind enough to let me share my story and I did not want to spam updates until I had some real updates for you all.

• My partner and good friend passed away last year after battling health issues for the last few years. He actually was the original inventor of TubShroom. He had an incredible mind for inventing and was a special person through and through. In the final days, he was at least happy to know that his family would be taken care of financially through his efforts.
  • The Indiegogo campaign for some of our new items did fairly well at $42k pre-orders, all of which delivered on time. The package on one of the items was annoying to open (factory screw up that we're rectifying) but the important thing is people love the products. We would have probably done 100k+ on KS but some issues prevented that from happening. One door closes...
  • Still working on expanding retail presence. Made some strides in 2018. Trying to close on some big players we're not yet present in. I watch this video at least twice a day.
  • For a peek of what we've been working on the last few months, here's a look at our latest retail releases on Amazon: TubShroom Ultra Stainless Steel Bundle, TubShroom Black Edition, Kitchen SinkShroom, and StopShroom Universal Plug 2pk
  • I spoke with the Harmon Brothers about doing a video for us but their costs are astronomical which is risky in the event that they put out a dud. They made the awesome viral Poo-Pouri, Squatty Potty, and FiberFix videos. Something about Utah that produces a ton of great entrepreneurs who hit it big. If there are any talented video peeps on ResetEra who would be interested in helping us create a funny video on a budget, feel free to hit me up.
  • In the meantime, we're targeting the early summer to test out a TV spot (ie asotv offer) as we finally have a bundle that I feel can move the needle enough that we can potentially scale out in a huge way. Have to be able to get close to break even on TV so you can reap the real benefits elsewhere (online, retail, etc.). Won't be cheap... but never know until you try...
We've got about half a dozen more new items coming out in 2019, some of which could be great and some of which could be duds at retail. If any of you have any Q's, feel free to ask away though it may take a few days for me to respond. Excelsior!

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to hear about your partner.

That said, how did you guys meet? I've been thinking about how to innovate, but I'm drawing a blank. I wonder if having another person to work with me to brain storm might be better.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just nabbed one, I fucking hate cleaning hair out of the tub and my girlfriend never does it lol. Wish I had seen this sooner

Davidion

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime I take a shower I keep thinking about this thread and how I should probably grab a tubshroom. hahaha

I'm sorry to hear about your partner, but glad to hear you're continuously moving up.

Vagabundo

Oct 27, 2017
I should actually buy onme of these. My wife drives me nuts withe the shower and bath blocking up with hair.

Glad to hear you doing well. I remember your first post about it.. :D

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for your loss OP. I actually just bought a showershroom after seeing them recommended by a bunch of people on the home improvement subreddit before stumbling on this thread, but sadly it doesn't fit my shower stall drain. I thought being in a new build house I'd have a standard drain but apparently not, seems it's 1.5" instead of 2" so the shroom sits unused on the shelf :(

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What was the problem with the Kickstarter that got suspended? That sounds really weird that your initial KS was perfectly fine, but they somehow decided your followup wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.