Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2019 (Nov 25 - Dec 01)

Oct 26, 2017
Should Platinum make Bayonetta 3 an RPG to try to help it sell well at all.

Take advantage of the tire fire of Bayonetta 3's development and just be very strange.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
I believe Nintendo has a real soft spot for Platinum. I remember the days I was really worried they would be shuttered. Then you have Nintendo publish 2 of their games, tap them to help with Star Fox and then announce 2 more. I think Nintendo is greenlighting these projects not in the hopes they will set sales records but for something else. With this support I don't see Platinum any differently than I do Omega Force now, putting out reliably impressive games with a long enough client list to be happy with whatever results.
Nintendo works with Platinum because it brings a different kind of game to Nintendo's platform that Nintendo themselves doesn't make. The games themselves are high quality and get good reviews even though they don't sell a lot. As a platform holder, it's their job to work with companies to get different types of software on the system, so they might as well keep using that great relationship they've built with Platinum.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Chris1964, I have a 7000 sales difference between the LTD of Pokemon Sword/Shield and what the difference from last week is. Not sure if there is a typo or an error somewhere, but that seems off.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The reasons i've seen is that Nintendo expected more, and also based on that they dropped update support for the game faster than e.g Splatoon 2. So its not unknown reasons why people think so (as in being "some reason"). I'm not sure if Nintendo has commented much on ARMS' performance. The last update i see is at 2.1 million.
Hard to say.

Nintendo was expecting something like 12m Switch from launch until March 31, 2018. Sales expectations for ARMS were set beforehand knowing Switch would have sold much more than that hence let's keep in mind a 12m installed during the first year. Was really Nintendo expecting to sell ARMS to more than 1/6 of the installed base (as the game sold 2m during its first year)? The game was sandwiched between Kart and Splatoon so that already doesn't scream they had much higher expectations.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Congrats on 10 years, Chris. I remember taking a couple of turns to create the threads before Cheesemeister and then you really ironed out the format. It's been impressively maintained.

MysticGon

Oct 31, 2017

New Yakuza 7 trailer focusing on the story. These big budget efforts must be paying off for Sega somehow.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017

NSW - 13
PS4 - 7

Total: 332 (-273 WoW)
Comgnet's ranking for Week 48, for reference

Total: 605 (+40 WoW)

PS4 - 10
NSW - 8
3DS - 2

Shockingly [NSW] Minecraft is not in the list on COMG.
Sadly my data collection has some missing weeks but the game was in the top 20 for at least 74 weeks
From Tsutaya, YW4 switch 9th, YW4 ps4...out of top 20....

Wow LM3 and RFA

Comgnet's and (especially) Tsutaya's rankings report several Switch games enjoying good / important WOW sales increases; GEO might show a similar situation as well.

Oct 26, 2017
have we ever seen platinumgames and monolith soft in the same room at the same time? how do we know they’re not the same company?

Dark Cloud

Oct 27, 2017
Monolith Soft hasn’t updated their employee count this month. Usually they do the first day/week, but lately they’ve done it later in the month. It’ll probably be over 230 employees once it’s updated.

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
Monolith Soft has seen a steady increase over the years if my memory is correct.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
The disparity between Ninty and the rest is downright sad.

Are JP publishers unable to produce substantial hits for the home market?
The 3rd Party publisher totals have actually improved substantially in the last few months too. It was really, really dire before 2019.

When I get home, I should be able to post the difference between the start of the year totals and now.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu Week 1, 2019 - OLD NUMBERS EVERYONE

- This included the Famitsu Digital Estimates at the time, so many of these totals would have actually been substantially lower. You can tell from the Minecraft number alone, it was actually at 550k physical at the time.
- Bandai Namco has over 1 million in physical sales for the Switch this year.
- Capcom has done nothing all year.
- Square mostly coasted off of old ports.

NotLiquid

Oct 25, 2017
If you assume Bayonetta 3 entered development around the very moment it was announced then 2020 was always the reasonable target date if you ask me. Anywhere between 2-3 full years of dev, it seems obvious they hadn't really gotten anywhere far with it when the news broke (Bayonetta 2 was also two years between reveal and release). Dunno why some people invented the narrative that development is going poorly.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
lol no. do you think the sales team has no idea how a product did? they know exactly how many they want to sell and how many they sold.
They were discussing worldwide shipment numbers, he would need access to a higher up at NCL or the Top of NoA to get these kind of information.....which is very unlikely lol.

This was a blanket statement based on the world wide shipment numbers. i doubt anyone at NoA would comment on the global performance of a title...if he said he heard from NoA resources that they hoped for higher sales during the launch person it would be something different.

Dachhase

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
They were discussing worldwide shipment numbers, he would need access to a higher up at NCL or the Top of NoA to get these kind of information.....which is very unlikely lol.

This was a blanket statement based on the world wide shipment numbers. i doubt anyone at NoA would comment on the global performance of a title...if he said he heard from NoA resources that they hoped for higher sales during the launch person it would be something different.
again, no. if you ever worked in sales in a global company you are well aware of how a product does in other territories. that's information you need to know to do your job.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
January isn't far, we'll know soon if Mario Maker 2 disappoints or not.

After September sales look soft for the territories there are rankings/numbers, anything below 5m until December means legs aren't the best.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is there's absolutely no source for "Nintendo expected more".
People just say "it didn't sell like Mario Kart despite being by the same team so it's a failure" (paraphrasing), all while avoiding the context or comparisons to other games in the genre. It's one of the best selling Switch games and got a lot of support (longer than a lot of games), so you can draw your own conclusions from that.
Yeah, unless Nintendo has said anything specifically, its mostly just speculation. And i agree that Nintendo's expectations for ARMS most likely werent set to do Mario Kart numbers. I just wanted to say that people had given some reasons for they believed what they believed, but that doesnt necessarily mean that one have to agree with those reasons of course :) But i get what you're saying. I also guess what type of failure people are referring to. I think another reason given was that Nintendo might not want one of their bigger teams working further on a serie that might have a ~2.5m sales potential, but rather try for something different that can have a larger sales potential. That doesnt mean that ARMS itself was a failure in that regards though.

You have a source for this claim?
Do you mean a source that shows people who claimed that Nintendo expected more, or a source to that Nintendo expected more? But no, i dont have any sources for either. I'm not saying that Nintendo expected more just to point that out. I just said that thats what some people have been saying =)

Hard to say.

Nintendo was expecting something like 12m Switch from launch until March 31, 2018. Sales expectations for ARMS were set beforehand knowing Switch would have sold much more than that hence let's keep in mind a 12m installed during the first year. Was really Nintendo expecting to sell ARMS to more than 1/6 of the installed base (as the game sold 2m during its first year)? The game was sandwiched between Kart and Splatoon so that already doesn't scream they had much higher expectations.
Yeah, thats also a point. First year's sales of ARMS are probably within Nintendo's expectations i think, maybe even exceeding them. I'm not sure if Nintendo expected this to be a evergreen title or not, selling steadily throughout the whole lifespan of the Switch or being a "smaller" seller. Hard to say, indeed. I guess we'll know in some years, to see if the ARMS IP is being continued or not =) Thats probably the best indication to see how Nintendo feels about the IP, although this doesnt mean that ARMS in itself was a failure. It probably made money at least.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
Famitsu Week 1, 2019 - OLD NUMBERS EVERYONE

- This included the Famitsu Digital Estimates at the time, so many of these totals would have actually been substantially lower. You can tell from the Minecraft number alone, it was actually at 550k physical at the time.
- Bandai Namco has over 1 million in physical sales for the Switch this year.
- Capcom has done nothing all year.
- Square mostly coasted off of old ports.
I want to say thank you for providing this summary every week. I always look forward to them.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
again, no. if you ever worked in sales in a global company you are well aware of how a product does in other territories. that's information you need to know to do your job.
Global shipments are unknown to almost everyone until quarter ends. If it was so easy we would get leaked numbers.

Nintendo's base is Japan not America.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
If we are not talking about hard numbers then it is someone who heard from someone about something, expectations are based on hard numbers.

If the initial source was from Japan maybe I'd give it more credit, now it's wait and see.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
If nothing is announced by tomorrow we must start considering the possibility that Sony will return to the normality of Japan and abandon last year's strategy of e extended holidays campaign with the price cut being maintained until the end of January.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
If nothing is announced by tomorrow we must start considering the possibility that Sony will return to the normality of Japan and abandon last year's strategy of e extended holidays campaign with the price cut being maintained until the end of January.
Looking at the current numbers would that not seal the fate of PS4 selling less than PS3? Or would we expect a major push around FF7?

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
From the context of that video, I don't think Imran is making definitive claims about the company's expectations of Mario Maker 2. Most of the segment is talking about the game's disappointing lack of post-launch support, especially when compared to MM1. I don't know how far the concern spreads at Nintendo, but whatever it is, his source didn't seem have the influence needed to correct the problem. I suppose its would be reasonable enough to think that better support would have resulted in better sales... I just don't think the actual numbers for MM2 support it being a disappointment in sales.

MM2 remains Nintendo's best selling game of the fiscal year (3.93M). On the Switch, it's FY Total after Q2 is second only to MK8D in 2017 (4.42M). It sold another 1.51M last quarter, which only new releases have sold more than for that time of year. The game will easily be the best selling in the series and may even surpass the combined sales of the rest of the series shortly.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
From the context of that video, I don't think Imran is making definitive claims about the company's expectations of Mario Maker 2. Most of the segment is talking about the game's disappointing lack of post-launch support, especially when compared to MM1. I don't know how far the concern spreads at Nintendo, but whatever it is, his source didn't seem have the influence needed to correct the problem. I suppose its would be reasonable enough to think that better support would have resulted in better sales... I just don't think the actual numbers for MM2 support it being a disappointment in sales.

MM2 remains Nintendo's best selling game of the fiscal year (3.93M). On the Switch, it's FY Total after Q2 is second only to MK8D in 2017 (4.42M). It sold another 1.51M last quarter, which only new releases have sold more than for that time of year. The game will easily be the best selling in the series and may even surpass the combined sales of the rest of the series shortly.
Yeah, I think they made some missteps early with multiplayer/online options, new enemies/parts updates and some incomprensible omissions (bookmark, more 1st party levels and online tournaments , challenges and other promotion...), and they'd probably sold more if that didn't happen, but I really doubt they consider its sales so far disappointing.