majornelson on Twitter: Starting today, we're beginning a limited Project xCloud iOS TestFlight preview

badabeezy

Oct 27, 2017
xCloud is currently running off of physical Xbox One S hardware in their datacenters. There's been no word on what the long term plan is for when it becomes an actual product, however.
We don't know for certain. But I would speculate that the future Lockhart SKU that is rumored which is a lower specced next gen console will be the heart of xCloud going forward.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
We don't know for certain. But I would speculate that the future Lockhart SKU that is rumored which is a lower specced next gen console will be the heart of xCloud going forward.
I think that's very possible.

Going to be interesting to see what xCloud's rollout strategy is. I think everyone sort-of assumes it'll properly launch alongside the new consoles this holiday, but if they are still rolling with Xbox One S hardware by that point, that means only Microsoft's own games are guaranteed to run on it, which doesn't seem that wise.

If the beta tests suddenly end this summer, I think we can probably conclude it's because they'll be spending a few months upgrading the hardware in their datacenters in preparation for a fall launch.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
xCloud is currently running off of physical Xbox One S hardware in their datacenters. There's been no word on what the long term plan is for when it becomes an actual product, however.
I'm.pretty sure Microsoft is replacing those with next gen hardware.

It's a no brainer if they intend to stream next gen games. And especially to compete with PSNow and Stadia.

Oct 27, 2017
Torrance
Still waiting patiently for my email. I received the "You're invited" email on Wednesday, but following the iOS link kept me in the android loop. I checked my profile and it says iOS so I'm at a loss as to why I never got the follow-up email that everyone else got.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I tried this out on my iPad Pro and it controls pretty well (less lag than on my Android phone), but the compression whenever I move is really, really bad.

Hopefully in time the quality will get better because I do appreciate how well it plays.

If not I'll just have to wait for more of the PC MCC games to release, since my home streaking from my PC to my iPad is practically lag free AND high quality.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
So limited hardware from 2013
For the beta, yes. It remains to be seen what the longer term plan is. I'm starting to get the impression that xCloud may be aimed at non-traditional and developing markets that don't care as much about fidelity, as they do accessibility. But that's just a feeling based on the beta specs, not confirmed.

Either way the hardware will have to be upgraded to some degree within the next 12-18 months, if they want xCloud to be able to play next-gen games. Lots of third party games aren't going to be cross-gen.

Dec 14, 2019
For the beta, yes. It remains to be seen what the longer term plan is. I'm starting to get the impression that xCloud may be aimed at non-traditional and developing markets that don't care as much about fidelity, as they do accessibility. But that's just a feeling based on the beta specs, not confirmed.

Either way the hardware will have to be upgraded to some degree within the next 12-18 months, if they want xCloud to be able to play next-gen games. Lots of third party games aren't going to be cross-gen.
Sure, xCloud will have to be more powerful than Xbox One in order to run next-gen, but I that doesn't mean that we'll get stuck with console hardware through out the generation.

nekkid

Oct 27, 2017
How does this work, OOI? Does the app let you select the game then it pushes you straight to it, or do you get a remote dashboard experience? Does it hook your GT up to saves automatically?

Dec 7, 2017
Ran it on my iPhone XS and it was buttery smooth. Really had that magical feeling on future tech.

My one wish is for this to come to Switch and be connected to Gamepass so I could have all my Microsoft and Nintendo exclusives in one place.