majornelson on Twitter: Starting today, we're beginning a limited Project xCloud iOS TestFlight preview

metsallica

Oct 27, 2017
Got it working. Hope they add console streaming and more than MCC. Can't do much without a controller, but will remedy that. Anyone have the official clip? Worth a buy?

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Played a little Halo 1 on the MCC. Very impressed. I played over WiFi on an iPad Pro. Worked beautifully, and though you can kinda sense some latency it was not bad at all.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Leaving work now, started to snow which means everyone’s going to be going like 20 under ggrrrrrr.

but I have upgraded my network to a UniFi machine since I last played on android. Will be interesting to see how good of a latency they can get. I could notice it really easily on Android.

Samurai G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Denver, CO
BTW - i did not have a Bluetooth wireless controller and looked around. I found a discount at Target for the White version. Your Results May Vary but i was able to get a new one for $46.99 when it rings up at $59.99 regularly.

I went in, showed the cashier the online price and they price matched for me. yay! Now i wait for my clip to come in from amazon as recommended from OP

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Oct 25, 2017
Man, xCloud works truly great. Picture quality is merely decent, but good enough for a phone sized display: Input latency is my big surprise. It’s super low.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the app downloaded on iOS! Excited to get home from work to try it out. Definitely missed that this only includes Master Chief collection though lol, but apparently that was Apple's doing and out of Msoft's hands?
Apple has extreme controls over beta/test software on their network. I'm surprised MS was able to get 10,000 users for this beta.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Was far too blurry and laggy for me to stick with on iPad Pro, but it was cool briefly playing Halo on an iPad with a DualShock 4!

I’ll be very interested in this once it improves.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Finally got the reg page to work by using Firefox on my PC. Got an email that said “thanks, we’ll get back to you in a few months....”

I guess it‘s full already?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
its ok......definitely improved since i touched it on android. I would never play shooters or anything that requires precision on this. But for RPG's and other games.....this is a really nice piece of tech. But you can easily notice latency, and anyone who says it doesn't exist really means to say "my current setup with my big TV already has a shit load of input lag so i don't notice it here on the device because it as well, has a huge amount of it due to streaming."

Still though, much better since the android days, works easy enough on the UniFi network and was definitely not nearly as frustrated this time as i was in the first test.

However the infastructure in the states will never be able to match this unless ISP's being so god damn cheap and actually upgrade their hardware and lines.

Tharp

Oct 27, 2017
But you can easily notice latency, and anyone who says it doesn't exist really means to say "my current setup with my big TV already has a shit load of input lag so i don't notice it here on the device because it as well, has a huge amount of it due to streaming."
Potentially not. There's a ton of factors about how much latency you'll feel, one of the major ones being how close you are to a data center. Some people saying that might legitimately not have much latency. I can definitely feel the latency on XCloud but the closest data center is multiple states away from me, compared to something like Geforce Now where there's a datacenter a handful of miles away.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Potentially not. There's a ton of factors about how much latency you'll feel, one of the major ones being how close you are to a data center. Some people saying that might legitimately not have much latency. I can definitely feel the latency on XCloud but the closest data center is multiple states away from me, compared to something like Geforce Now where there's a datacenter a handful of miles away.
do we have a list of where the data centers are at presently? I would assume microsoft owning Azure would mean there is an absurd amount would there not be?

Tharp

Oct 27, 2017
do we have a list of where the data centers are at presently? I would assume microsoft owning Azure would mean there is an absurd amount would there not be?

I found this. No idea if that's comprehensive or not?

Tharp

Oct 27, 2017
if there is one in illinois im probably a mere hour away from it and experience latency.
There's a big range of "experience latency" though. Are we talking 30ms or 200ms? Is there something in between you and the datacenter that is adding latency? Extra hops, 2.4ghz vs 5ghz wifi, network setup issues, running off cellular, etc. the unfortunate part is since it's only mobile devices atm we can't really easily measure your latency to know if it's normal or something else is going on. Once it's on PC I assume we'll see better reports about latency, or better tools to measure our own. I get 20ish latency with GeForce Now and that's barely perceptible to me.

It may be that you're sensitive to latency, but i'd be kinda surprised if you're feeling it strongly despite having the datacenter ~1 hour away. It should be quite low at that distance afaik.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
There's a big range of "experience latency" though. Are we talking 30ms or 200ms? Is there something in between you and the datacenter that is adding latency? Extra hops, 2.4ghz vs 5ghz wifi, network setup issues, running off cellular, etc. the unfortunate part is since it's only cellphones atm we can't really easily measure your latency to know if it's normal or something else is going on. Once it's on PC I assume we'll see better reports about latency, or better tools to measure our own. I get 20ish latency with GeForce Now and that's barely perceptible to me.

It may be that you're sensitive to latency, but i'd be kinda surprised if you're feeling it strongly despite having the datacenter ~1 hour away. It should be quite low at that distance afaik.

When my TV only does 19ms at 4K HDR and the only monitors I have ever owned in HD are a 9ms response time.......I can feel latency really easily. Even could tell you the difference between my 19ms LG vs my 33ms Sony

Thats basically a little over a half frame difference.....but it pisses me off enough, I can easily tell.

As for my setup. I'm on 5Ghz wifi using a "Dream Machine" UniFi

Tharp

Oct 27, 2017
When my TV only does 19ms at 4K HDR and the only monitors I have ever owned in HD are a 9ms response time.......I can feel latency really easily. Even could tell you the difference between my 19ms LG vs my 33ms Sony

Thats basically a little over a half frame difference.....but it pisses me off enough, I can easily tell.

Ah yeah then it might just be you're sensitive to latency differences like that. I don't think it's possible for it to get low enough for you to not notice, even with my in-home streaming i'm adding enough latency that you would feel it, and streaming from a server will only be worse. It's around the 50ms mark where I start to notice latency, my eye test is when I start to get thrown off on tracking or leading targets in FPS/third person shooters. Below that I mentally adjust and don't really notice it. Due to server distance with XCloud I notice it, GeForce Now I don't.

georaldc

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yeah then it might just be you're sensitive to latency differences like that. I don't think it's possible for it to get low enough for you to not notice, even with my in-home streaming i'm adding enough latency that you would feel it, and streaming from a server will only be worse. It's around the 50ms mark where I start to notice latency, my eye test is when I start to get thrown off on tracking or leading targets in FPS/third person shooters. Below that I mentally adjust and don't really notice it. Due to server distance with XCloud I notice it, GeForce Now I don't.
I only tried Doom on Geforce Now using the free tier with a keyboard and mouse. Latency was definitely there and I'm normally not as sensitive to it (I usually stream locally with Steam to various devices at home).

Just got my code and it launches Halo MCC just fine on my Iphone 8+. Will be interesting to test with a controller when I get home

Tharp

Oct 27, 2017
I only tried Doom on Geforce Now using the free tier with a keyboard and mouse. Latency was definitely there and I'm normally not as sensitive to it (I usually stream locally with Steam to various devices at home).

Just got my code and it launches Halo MCC just fine on my Iphone 8+. Will be interesting to test with a controller when I get home
How much latency does GeForce Now report when doing the network test in the app? Though i've only used controller. I imagine i'd notice the latency more with mouse/kb since mouse movement is much more closely tied to my hand's movement to where i'd notice the delay. Controller stuff has more of a buffer for me with that.

Garrett 2U

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The way I like to look at it is as a “mobile” version of a game. For instance, think about the sacrifices that would have to be made to run a current gen AAAA game on mobile. If they could get it to run, frame rate would probably be anywhere between 20-30fps and the graphical fidelity would be much lower.
Even better, you’re going to be able to take next gen experiences mobile with streaming.

georaldc

Oct 27, 2017
How much latency does GeForce Now report when doing the network test in the app? Though i've only used controller. I imagine i'd notice the latency more with mouse/kb since mouse movement is much more closely tied to my hand's movement to where i'd notice the delay. Controller stuff has more of a buffer for me with that.
Don't remember. Will check later if i don't forget.

Will xcloud eventually include older BC games? I can see myself playing older RPGs like Lost Odyssey if they came to xcloud.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The Series 2 Elite controllers have Bluetooth and therefore are compatible with iOS 13.

The older versions don't have it and won't work with iOS (just like they don't work with PCs unless you get the Xbox dongle).
Unfortunately, while you're right that the Elite Series 2 supports bluetooth, it is not compatible with iOS yet. Apple only supports older Bluetooth Xbox controllers so far.

This is documented in the official Project xCloud / Game Streaming wiki here:

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it on my iphone earlier... i am impressed. As someone who is super critical of streaming games, I am quite impressed.

apple made them not have bluetooth that’s not up to standards In the $180 controller?
It's because the older Elite controllers (and Xbox One controllers) don't have industry standard Bluetooth. Has nothing to do with Apple.
Lmao

The Elite V2 has Bluetooth and it works on Android and PC. iOS supports Xbone controllers but not Elite V2. Apple is the problem.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Lmao

The Elite V2 has Bluetooth and it works on Android and PC. iOS supports Xbone controllers but not Elite V2. Apple is the problem.
If that's the case, wouldn't apple have to have gone out of their way to block its connectivity? If that is the case, I have serious doubts that they would go to such lengths for, really, no reason. Bluetooth is bluetooth from what I understand, a mere data port, it "plugs in" (connects) or it doesn't. The exchange of data after connection is up to software in the apps to decipher. I'm no expert so if someone would care to explain the finer points of why this outrageously expensive controller can't connect. Seems like the two controllers would have the same exact connection interface. (seriously, I want to be educated so if you know, tell me)

Last edited:

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
Tried to play it on my iPad but the game freezes right after I push start. The spinning logo stops spinning but the music still plays. Waited but nothing happens. :/