• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story will air in January 2020, first trailer

excelsiorlef

Oct 25, 2017
No they don't. Mediums don't have tropes, genres have tropes. Do you tell your friend the TV show you watched was very television? Of course not, that is ridiculous. It's just as dumb saying it with anime but the only reason you don't see that is because you either don't respect the medium or are completely ignorant about it. Either way you have no business talking about it.
Pretty sure I'm talking about it right now.

And calm down dude I'm not attacking anime

Inkvoterad

Oct 25, 2017
No they don't. Mediums don't have tropes, genres have tropes. Do you tell your friend the TV show you watched was very television? Of course not, that is ridiculous. It's just as dumb saying it with anime but the only reason you don't see that is because you either don't respect the medium or are completely ignorant about it. Either way you have no business talking about it.
Mediums totally have tropes, lol. Tvshows especially fall into those traps. For example, building up a character arc only to reset it so it works within the established status quo of the show so they can. Pump out another season of building up a character arc, only to do the same thing again.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like pretty easy-to-understand shorthand to me, even if it’s not literal. Other people seem to grasp it just fine.
I knew what was implied with "anime" the same way someone says "that's very Disney". It invokes certain expectations and isn't necessarily negative.
90% of shows each season are extremely tropey in their respective genres so its a quick way to point out trends in shorthand.

Zerokoolpsx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playing the game, so I'll give it a watch. Sucks that it got delayed though. Oh well, that gives me more time to watch the movies.

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Shit.

I really wanted this to retcon the unforgivably awful third movie.
I mean it completely ignores rebellion except for the fact Nagisa and Goddess Madoka are in the game, so while it doesn't "retcon" it, it doesn't acknowledge it either. I'm not sure if the anime will explain it

Mr Spasiba

Oct 26, 2017
It’s a shame that Rebellion was so bad that my heart aches whenever I see anything madoka related now. It was such a good show too.

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
It’s a shame that Rebellion was so bad that my heart aches whenever I see anything madoka related now. It was such a good show too.
This show will most likely completely ignore Rebellion for the most part, if you liked the original anime I would give it a go.

So is this another planet or time with the White Fluffball making more Magical Girls?
It's set at around the same time as the original anime, in a different city, while also simultaneously being set after the original anime. Its complicated.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be at AnimeNYC next weekend and will definitely try to see this.
So is this another planet or time with the White Fluffball making more Magical Girls?
In the game it's a timeline/parallel world that Ultimate Madoka can't directly interfere with because of reasons. It's supposed to take place at the same time as the original series (the tutorial/prologue is a fight against the legs witch from episode 10, although Homura's already looped a few times here), but the events in the game take place over the course of at least several months while the original series took place over the course of only about one month. "Just roll with it" is what I've gone with. The game has a fine enough story on its own to ignore details like that. The original five main characters from the TV series all show up in the main plot as supporting characters with minor roles. The anime could always do something different with its relation to the original show though.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
No Urobuchi means I'm done with the series. Shame because I thought Rebellion was absolutely brilliant and the series didn't need a continuation beyond that.

CenturionNami

Nov 2, 2017
Rebellion is far superior to the original series.

And I love how much it made Waifu morons seethe that it confirmed Homura's love for Madoka.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
If I've never seen any Madoka yet, where is the best place to start?
The TV series. You can watch the it legally on multiple different platforms. It's on Netflix and Crunchyroll at least. After that you can watch the third film, Rebellion, which is a sequel.

The first two films are compilation films that only trim around 5% or so of the total runtime. I think they only remove two scenes from the entire show, plus a few lines of dialogue here and there. But Madoka Magica is a series where just about every single line of dialogue is important, so don't let this be your first experience with the series. They do offer improved animation, about three dozen more music tracks, and redone voice acting though, so they can be an interesting watch once you've finished the TV series.

The third film, Rebellion, used to be on Netflix but it isn't anymore. I'm pretty sure there's no way to watch it legally aside from buying the BD, and that's out of print cause Aniplex USA only really does limited runs of things.

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
People can hate Rebellion all they want for totally justifiable reasons, but it also gave us this:

Btw, Madoka's transformation sequence in the game is easily one of the best:

Last edited:

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, Madoka's transformation sequence in the game is easily one of the best:
All the OGs have sequences more detailed then the rest. There's also all have a common theme where you see their adult selves that they're sacrificing.

Nagisa and the "usual" Homura have cool ones too

StormBrute

Oct 26, 2017
Man I miss Madoka so much :(

I really enjoyed the Rebellion story honestly and I want to see what's next for the series. This will at least help a little for the interim if it does turn out to have the same style, but I want to see forward plot movement.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Man I miss Madoka so much :(

I really enjoyed the Rebellion story honestly and I want to see what's next for the series. This will at least help a little for the interim if it does turn out to have the same style, but I want to see forward plot movement.
The style of the plot is different.

Madoka Magica excels at breakneck pacing and having every single bit of content drive the story forward. There is no "filler".

Magia Record is best at doing a slow burn. It's greatest strength is how well the main five end up meshing and feeling like a real family (to the point where four of the five end up all living together with the last one practically spending all her free time at their house), and this is something that progresses both in the main story and across multiple character side stories and some event stories. But I don't know how well the anime will be able to focus on that, and it doesn't even really start coming together that way until the end of chapter 4. There's lots of "filler" in terms of side stories and event stories, and even the main story has a few scenes where nothing really happens, but it's all pretty important to the kind of story it wants to tell. I'm a bit worried that this won't come across all that well if this is just a 12 episode TV anime.

It's other great strength is how well all the character side stories and events build up this giant relationship web between all of the side characters along with the main characters. Everyone is in their own groups while also knowing at least a few other characters and it ends up all coming together really well. A bunch of the character side stories are really good too, and even some of the not so good ones have their moments. They vary wildly in tone and content, some are like "comically bad cook nearly kills her roommates with her cooking multiple times" or "socially anxious girl tries to talk to people by learning comedy, tells many bad puns", and on the other far end you have severe child abuse and at least two girls with nearly successful suicide attempts. But I don't expect the anime to go too far into this. It'd be neat if we got Jojo part 5 style flashbacks for the main characters though. Although part of the reason I want that is just so Karin can make a cameo appearance if they did one for Alina.

While I'm on the subject of talking about Magireco's good points: Magireco's also pretty unique among mobile games in that there's no real "self insert protagonist". There is a player avatar character, the small Kyubey, but they are not consequential to anything, can't provide any meaningful input, and are never seen outside the main plot. The gacha mechanic and gameplay basically have no relation to the story at all, you don't have an endless parade of girls lining up to suck up to the MC. Iroha is a very well defined character who actually needs to work for her relationships and barely knows any of the side characters who all have their own things going on.

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
The style of the plot is different.

Madoka Magica excels at breakneck pacing and having every single bit of content drive the story forward. There is no "filler".

Magia Record is best at doing a slow burn. It's greatest strength is how well the main five end up meshing and feeling like a real family (to the point where four of the five end up all living together with the last one practically spending all her free time at their house), and this is something that progresses both in the main story and across multiple character side stories and some event stories. But I don't know how well the anime will be able to focus on that, and it doesn't even really start coming together that way until the end of chapter 4. There's lots of "filler" in terms of side stories and event stories, and even the main story has a few scenes where nothing really happens, but it's all pretty important to the kind of story it wants to tell. I'm a bit worried that this won't come across all that well if this is just a 12 episode TV anime.

It's other great strength is how well all the character side stories and events build up this giant relationship web between all of the side characters along with the main characters. Everyone is in their own groups while also knowing at least a few other characters and it ends up all coming together really well. A bunch of the character side stories are really good too, and even some of the not so good ones have their moments. They vary wildly in tone and content, some are like "comically bad cook nearly kills her roommates with her cooking multiple times" or "socially anxious girl tries to talk to people by learning comedy, tells many bad puns", and on the other far end you have severe child abuse and at least two girls with nearly successful suicide attempts. But I don't expect the anime to go too far into this. It'd be neat if we got Jojo part 5 style flashbacks for the main characters though. Although part of the reason I want that is just so Karin can make a cameo appearance if they did one for Alina.

While I'm on the subject of talking about Magireco's good points: Magireco's also pretty unique among mobile games in that there's no real "self insert protagonist". There is a player avatar character, the small Kyubey, but they are not consequential to anything, can't provide any meaningful input, and are never seen outside the main plot. The gacha mechanic and gameplay basically have no relation to the story at all, you don't have an endless parade of girls lining up to suck up to the MC. Iroha is a very well defined character who actually needs to work for her relationships and barely knows any of the side characters who all have their own things going on.
Very well put, I agree on all your points. I really enjoy the magia record story and cant wait to see it animated, ESPECIALLY Alina

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first two episodes, it was great.

Inucurry isn’t holding back at all and there’s lots of stuff in here comparable to Rebellion. Tons of stylish backgrounds with evocative imagery going on while people are talking (example: A scene where Iroha and Kyubey are talking has a bunch of large stuffed bears on a stage stuffing the children watching them into sacks). The music is basically imitation Kajiura, just a bit peppier than the original show’s BGM.

Things were changed up quite a bit from the game, although the general flow is the same. The first two episodes cover up to about midway through chapter 2. Later chapters are longer, but at a pace of 2-3 episodes per chapter they could get to the end of chapter 6 in one season probably.

The story is a little fast paced to cover the anime original content (chapter one is expanded on with a few later events being put in the first episode as well), but it’s followable for people unfamiliar with the game.

Last edited: