• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story will air in January 2020, first trailer

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
The Madoka Magica series finally continues since the Rebellion film with a new anime starting in January 2020.

The story follows magical girl Iroha Tamaki as she searches for her missing sister in Kamihama city, a mysterious place with an unusually large amount of Magical Girls and witches, and even a new type of enemy.
New magical girls are the heroines of this story, but the quintet of the original series are deeply involved also.

The anime is an adaptation of the mobile game Magia Record. While this may put off some people the story is genuinely good

VN1X

Oct 28, 2017
The series was good but the third movie (the continuation of said series) was hot garbage. We'll see how this one turns out I suppose.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mobage can surprisingly produce some decent stories nowadays if Singularity 6 and 7 of Fate Grand Order is anything to go off of, so I'm willing to give this a shot.

Hopefully this actually is a follow up to Rebellion or the characters eventually deal with what happened in that movie.

Pandora012

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the game, so i imagine this will be good too

Mobage can surprisingly produce some decent stories nowadays if Singularity 6 and 7 of Fate Grand Order is anything to go off of, so I'm willing to give this a shot.

Hopefully this actually is a follow up to Rebellion or the characters eventually deal with what happened in that movie.
Unlikely as this is a side story. I'm only up to like chapter 3 or 4 of the game and it looks to take place before the timeline issues started. Homura hasn't reset anything.

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
is Urobuchi involed? Hard for me to care otherwise
He wasnt for the game but I'm not sure about the anime, the trailer shows that the story is somewhat different.

Unlikely as this is a side story. I'm only up to like chapter 3 or 4 of the game and it looks to take place before the timeline issues started. Homura hasn't reset anything.
Dont really wanna spoil anything, but Homura has already reset in this timeline. But it's not as simple as this just being one of the failed attempts.
I think it was mentioned in the prologue that Homura had already started resetting time

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
is Urobuchi involed? Hard for me to care otherwise
No.

Magireco's story is OK, but it's significantly more "anime" in terms of plot and characters than Madoka Magica is.

EDIT: The trailer does have some differences though, so who knows what'll happen on that front though.

Pandora012

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He wasnt for the game but I'm not sure about the anime, the trailer shows that the story is somewhat different.

Dont really wanna spoil anything
but Homura has already reset in this timeline. But it's not as simple as this just being one of the failed attempts
Ohhh that's interesting

KillstealWolf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Having recently rewatched the series, gonna be up for watching this.

Never watched the movie though (Well, third movie since the first 2 were remakes of the anime I believe?), should I do that for completition sakes or is it worth skipping it?

JB2448

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Hoping this leads to a continuation of the mainline story we left off at Rebellion. The concept movie released at Madogatari a few years back showed excellent promise, so hopefully this can lead into it.

Magia Record's story isn't bad, though. If they're going where I think they're going with the anime adaptation, it'll definitely be worth a try.

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Having recently rewatched the series, gonna be up for watching this.

Never watched the movie though (Well, third movie since the first 2 were remakes of the anime I believe?), should I do that for completition sakes or is it worth skipping it?
It's worth a watch. It wont really have much connection to Magia Record so it's not urgent but if you've just rewatched the series I'd say its worth it

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I guess its a pretty easy concept to just throw some new characters into.
Im interested but im sure itll just be more of the same more or less.

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I guess its a pretty easy concept to just throw some new characters into.
Im interested but im sure itll just be more of the same more or less.
It's quite different actually, though they may try and make the tone more like the original anime, it wont be a retread.

What does this even mean?
It's a little more like the first 3 episodes of madoka magica before it goes all despair. At first at least.

Castile

Dec 1, 2017
It is by Shaft, so I'm curious to see how their quality stays up after they lost a good amount of their animators; they moved to David Production and are doing Fire Force this season.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's quite different actually, though they may try and make the tone more like the original anime, it wont be a retread.

It's a little more like the first 3 episodes of madoka magica before it goes all despair. At first at least.
Madka is a complete deconstruction of the Magic Girl anime genre. So presumably this plays more into those tropes and is more "traditional"
Then why don't people just say that? "Anime" as an adjective, when describing and anime is meaningless.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
We’re never getting a sequel to Rebellion, are we?
Chiwa Satou, the voice actor of Homura announced at an AX panel this year that the main series is indeed not done yet and that Homura will return. This coincides with what the president of SHAFT said earlier in the year about a sequel project being in the works.

So yeah, something’s cooking.

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Here's the games opening if you want to have a better look at the characters:

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I didn't think I'd actually see a new anime, even of a side story. Good to hear the mobile game this is based on has a decent story, at least. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the character designs, though.

Also funny coincidence having just finished a rewatch of the original series earlier this week.

Dec 21, 2018
Unlike some, I loved Rebellion. Great visuals, amazing soundtrack, twist at the end that’ll make things really interesting going forward.

I wish we would get a sequel series to that. We need War God Mami. I still look forward to this though. Anything Madoka is good.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this Gacha garbage adaptation will be successful so we can get our Rebellion sequel finally.

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Unlike some, I loved Rebellion. Great visuals, amazing soundtrack, twist at the end that’ll make things really interesting going forward.

I wish we would get a sequel series to that. We need War God Mami. I still look forward to this though. Anything Madoka is good.
I also enjoyed Rebellion. And while I do want a sequel to it exploring the ramifications of the ending, Magia Record does have a good story.
I personally find Homura to be a more enjoyable character than in the original anime.

I wouldn't be surprised if Magia Record did eventually lead up to a rebellion sequel. Goddess Madoka and Nagisa have both been introduced into the game with stories that connect to Rebellion and a second season of the story in the game is just beginning so who knows

It's also worth noting that the manga Kazumi Magica, Oriko Magica and Tart Magica were all good too, even though they weren't written by the same guy. The universe itself is quite interesting and lends itself to interesting stories.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
That's not a sequel to Rebellion. I'll probably still watch it, but it's definitely not the new Madoka thing I've been waiting for.

pld

Oct 27, 2017
I am actually more hyped for this than a potential sequel for Rebellion which was awful imo. Such a confusing mess of a movie.

excelsiorlef

Oct 25, 2017
Anime isn't a genre, it's a medium with as much if not more variety than any other. Describing something as "anime" is as stupid as saying "that movie was really film" or "that song was very music."
Eh it's like saying a story had a very video game narrative.

Mediums can carry tropes highly identified with the medium.

Shining Star

May 14, 2019
Eh it's like saying a story had a very video game narrative.

Mediums can carry tropes highly identified with the medium.
No they don't. Mediums don't have tropes, genres have tropes. Do you tell your friend the TV show you watched was very television? Of course not, that is ridiculous. It's just as dumb saying it with anime but the only reason you don't see that is because you either don't respect the medium or are completely ignorant about it. Either way you have no business talking about it.

Somnid

Oct 25, 2017
I got Konami'd at Sakura-con, when Aniplex announced they were localizing the mobile game. I groaned (inaudibly) at that but I would watch an anime even if I know it couldn't live up to the original.