Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete is 20 years old! Let's celebrate this amazing game

Aug 1, 2018
One of my favorite video games of all time. I loved lunar silver star complete. I wish I never lent it to an asshole back in high school and he never gave it back.
That sucks! I NEVER lent out my games back in the day for that very reason.

I remember flipping out on my freshmen roommate in college because he grabbed my copy of SSSC without asking me and he 1) cracked the case and 2) left the disc sitting on his desk instead of putting it back in the freaking case.

AuthenticM

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How does it compare to Silver Star Harmony? Is the gameplay the same in both, with only graphics changing? What are the differences?

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny you write this. I was going to say something very similar in my post earlier in the thread, but decided to keep it on topic. Vay is right alongside Lunar in my book in terms of AMAZING RPG's that to this day shapes my gaming preferences. Such a brilliant and mostly hidden gem that game was.
That Castle Danek atmosphere. (video starts in castle danek in case anybody want to peek at it.)

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Is the only current way to play it on PS1 or emulation?
I played the iOS version last year, and it's quite good. Based mostly on the PS1 version, with the most noticeable difference being the updated voice acting (the old voice acting is usually preferred by OG fans, but for a newcomer it'll make little difference).

Shikari

Nov 2, 2017
The Land of Abaya Babes
Despite owning a Sega CD, I never managed to get ahold of a copy. Eventually, got to play on PS1, so not really sure about the changes to the story. Either way, SSS and EB are easily among the most memorable RPGs for me.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I emulate the sega CD version using an ISO of the game CD (which I own). I've played through the whole game at least twice and found emulation to be quite reliable.

KojiKnight

Oct 25, 2017
How does it compare to Silver Star Harmony? Is the gameplay the same in both, with only graphics changing? What are the differences?
Combat is essentially the same, as well as all of the animated cutscenes (though they were redubbed). All of the explorable areas were redrawn and shrunk down to a smaller size, but enemy density is the same (means it's much harder to avoid fights). Harmony also added a prologue which essentially spoils the big mid-game reveal, though it expands on the main villian and his motivations.

My biggest complaints about Harmony all have to do with lack of polish. There are so many tiny annoyances that build up in that version. The music trailing in and out every time you enter or exit a building, harder to avoid encounters while making every area respawn immediately after you leave it (I quit playing Harmony because of a certain dungeon which requires a lot of back tracking to solve puzzles, because the fights were pointless and hard to run from).

The translation also tried to reach a middle ground between people pro and anti-WD. The problem is that the writer wanted to keep the general irreverent tone of most dialogue, but wasn't really clever enough to do so while dropping most of the pop culture references. As a lot of other people have said, it in general means it lacks the charm of the original.

cj_iwakura

Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I was sifting through Victor Ireland's posts at Gaijinworks, and found this little tidbit.

"Originally Posted by bishopcruz

4) What exactly happened to Studio Alex?

It's very nebulous, but this is what I know. There was some business issue with Game Arts and a joint project that didn't go as expected. A lawsuit or lawsuits were filed and Game Arts sued them out of existence, which was crazy because without Studio Alex, there is no LUNAR, and LUNAR is Game Arts best-selling product worldwide. I have no idea why cooler heads didn't prevail and the two companies didn't work something out instead. It's the main reason I'm very pessimistic about seeing a "real" LUNAR ever again. Very sad. "

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i replayed both games last year after a very long time. I think both are straightforward fun games with pretty much no fillter. Only problem here is how they throw too many enemies at you at the last strech and how there is little variation and no drive to upgrade anything while you fight. I think the WD balance was just right. The game also felt very recent with how natural every npc "sounds". Sound is super good, good pixel art just timeless. You'll love this warmth. Blue skies forever.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that the good versions of these games aren't available digitally.
I ripped my PSOne versions and, in my most recent playthroughs of Lunars 1 and 2, played them on my hacked PSP (which I still keep around for such reasons). Lunar 1 and 2 + long commutes = love.

It pains me that while you have remakes that are faithful to the originals like the Final Fantasy Origins treatment, they can never get Lunar right. Each remake is successively worse.
That's not exactly true. The PSP version is definitely better than the GBA one. I agree that they both suck compared to the SCD and PSOne versions. The GBA one is the WORST. Broken gameplay and a horrid localization.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

I really need to replay EBC again or rather that it should be ported again; like someone said above, SS is remade a gorillion times but EB once coming up on 20 years ago itself.

Screw that chest that stole all your gold. That is the day I learned.... Victor Ireland was evil.
Victor Ireland is a beatiful man, and I wont hear different. His ways capricious, but generous.

RestEerie

Aug 20, 2018
OT but whatever happen to Game Arts? Other than the rerelease of Grandia, they seems to have drop off completely from the earth with no new release at all.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Lunar: SSSC blew my mind when I first played it. I remember renting it from a local game store, and the owner gave me the map and hardcover book with my rental (I was there a LOT, he trusted me). I fell in love with it immediately. The intro video, the music, the characters, the writing. Nall was hilarious. Shit, I will go to my grave with "Aaaalex! Oh, AAALEXXX! Where ARE you?!" stuck in my head.

Who owns the Lunar rights at this point? The game needs a re-release.

Svejk

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best JRPGs ever... Too bad they didn't keep all the better music from the Sega CD version.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
For no reason, let's discuss how Pete from Mad Men and Nash are the same person.

Lol. I thought you were serious for a moment. Cause I definitely love pointing out how Alex was actually voiced by Ashley Angel - member of the short lived boy band O-Town.
OH MY GOD IT’S ASHLEY ANGEL! (That’s for the 5 Clone High fans out there)
He was in a few Working Design games actually.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Alex's magical prowess in the SegaCD version was something else, and the Dragon Magics were cool as hell.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I'd buy the PS1 versions of both games on PSN, if they were apart of the PlayStation Classics line. I settled for the PSP remake of the first one on my Vita for easy access. Complete copies of both games go for MONEY last I checked.

ContraWars

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have a magic monkey's paw here and I'm going to wish for a Steam port now.

If we end up getting an HD remaster of the game and it is just Silver Star Harmony, upscaled, sprite filtered, with faster loading times; find me and kick me in the nards. All of you.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Just loaded up my old save file of this..

Just wish like Eternal Blue there was some epilogue where Alex and Luna can make up for that lost time...

Apr 19, 2018
Mysterious Cave: the greatest RPG dungeon theme ever created:

Apologies for the low-res sounding vid, but this is the only one I could find of the PSOne original -- and not the several arguably inferior arranged versions like Harmony's or the Lunatic Festas.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Mysterious Cave: the greatest RPG dungeon theme ever created:

Apologies for the low-res sounding vid, but this is the only one I could find of the PSOne original -- and not the several arguably inferior arranged versions like Harmony's or the Lunatic Festas.
Just fired up the saturn version and re-recorded and mixed the audio using much better AV cables..

OP
OP
aidan

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Who owns the Lunar rights at this point? The game needs a re-release.
My understanding is that Vic Ireland has previously put a lot of effort into a PSN release of the games, but the rights are a nightmare and scattered all over the place, no doubt in part because of the ugly split between Studio Alex and Game Arts.

Just fired up the saturn version and re-recorded and mixed the audio using much better AV cables..

*raise the roof*

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I really want to play Silver Star Story Complete and Eternal Blue Complete again. I haven't played them in 15+ years. I'm just too lazy to rip the discs and set up an emulator. I haven't messed with PS1 emulation in years, but it used to be a headache back in the day, when I last tried.