Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete is 20 years old! Let's celebrate this amazing game

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I did that with the Sega CD version:

Don't really like the PSX/Saturn intro song. That said, the JPN version of the original song is amazing:

I had never heard this before, and it totally made me smile. Thank you for sharing!

For me, the biggest reason the original is superior is the sense of exploration and wonder. The world maps in the original are MASSIVE and sprawling.

The remakes get progressively smaller until they're basically paint by numbers.

Same reason I prefer Luna staying behind. Alex has to leave her behind to grow, it's a massive point in the story.

The remake wasn't nearly as changed, but it still has things I dislike, namely Zophar's ridiculous look in EBC. (And the removal of the Star Dragon Guardian.)

Also, Ghaleon's final form in the original is super badass.

I think I agree with everything said in this post. The final boss form transition in the Sega CD game was incredible.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
that is way too expensive. I never got the chance to play this and possibly never will in an official capacity.
Just looked them up on Amazon and it looks like all the SCD & PS1 games for Lunar 1 & 2 are around $60-$80 USD a piece as long as you are okay with disk-only. Definitely on the expensive side, but not totally ridiculous since $60 is pretty standard price for a new game these days. Now complete copies on the other hand are in the totally ridiculous range.

cj_iwakura

Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The original JP version is pretty great, so it's even more impressive they made the dub as good as it is. Working Designs were probably the only localization studio that could dub a song and make it good.

As much as I love Lunar, I think Growlanser Generations was their real magnum opus, especially given how unappreciated it is, and 2 is my favorite game in the series.

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
Just looked them up on Amazon and it looks like all the SCD & PS1 games for Lunar 1 & 2 are around $60-$80 USD a piece as long as you are okay with disk-only. Definitely on the expensive side, but not totally ridiculous since $60 is pretty standard price for a new game these days. Now complete copies on the other hand are in the totally ridiculous range.
The complete edition was what I was looking at yeah. 375 is insanity

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Need to give the Eternal Blue PSB OST some love.

Also, I REALLY hate how they did Quark in the remake, one of many little changes that pile up to hurt the experience.

A cold blood murder in front of your eyes will always hit harder than a kidnapping. Especially when you go back to find all of Burg a ghost town.

It's a sucker punch the remakes never bothered emulating, probably because of how dark it was.
The changes with the dragon plot points really kill the remake. The steampunk aesthetic of the original gets cast aside to make the plot more anime.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you’re going to get physical you may as well spend the extra 300 bucks on the complete package!

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
A localization is more than just the translation. In the case of lunar (and really all their games) working designs would do dumb things like Jack up the enemy hp or reduce the number of exp you get from battle. WD screwed up so many games doing this. They literally broke exile:wicked phenomenon this way, they didn't properly test it and didn't notice they made enemies gain levels exponentially making the end of game impossible.

This is on top of the out of place pop culture references.
Sure, it's more than just the translation, but I've always heard complaints specifically about the translation and not the rest. The pop culture references never bothered me and the game's dialogue was better written than 90% of jrpgs at the time.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
These are my favorite JRPGs of all time, but I'm still partial to the SegaCD versions, due to that being the platform I first played them on, and due to some changes. Also still have the punchy Ghaleon. 😄

But seriously, SegaCD Eternal Blue is just...perfection as far as JRPGs go. So good in every way.

cj_iwakura

Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Sure, it's more than just the translation, but I've always heard complaints specifically about the translation and not the rest. The pop culture references never bothered me and the game's dialogue was better written than 90% of jrpgs at the time.
The thing was, they usually threw pop culture stuff in to make NPCs worth talking to. These were people that always said the same thing, 'go to x to find y', so they decided to add flavor text to make them more fun to speak with.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you’re going to get physical you may as well spend the extra 300 bucks on the complete package!
Sadly, there's no digital copy so if you want to play it all you have to go physical and even though the extras that WD included are nice, they ain't worth hundreds of dollars.

Way back when, Gungho did a survey asking about interest in digital rereleases of Grandia & Lunar. Now that Grandia 1 & 2 are out, I'm hoping that means that the Lunar games will show up.

cj_iwakura

Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Sadly, there's no digital copy so if you want to play it all you have to go physical and even though the extras that WD included are nice, they ain't worth hundreds of dollars.

Way back when, Gungho did a survey asking about interest in digital rereleases of Grandia & Lunar. Now that Grandia 1 & 2 are out, I'm hoping that means that the Lunar games will show up.
It pains me that while you have remakes that are faithful to the originals like the Final Fantasy Origins treatment, they can never get Lunar right. Each remake is successively worse.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Even though I own the physical copies, I will day one buy the Lunar games if they ever go digital. God any chance on Dragonforce going digital?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Oh wow, for some reason I thought you could get SSSC digitally. Then I remembered that it’s just the PSP remake and that nobody should play that version if they can help it.

I would be all over a rerelease though. Especially if something like Limited Run did a physical edition.

Now I’m back to lusting over having those physical goodies. I lost them in a move a looooong time ago.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone, if there was a new Lunar game but it had to be on a smaller budget (so nothing crazy fancy like Ni no Kuni or Persona 5 graphics), would you prefer the graphic style to emulate the Sega CD games, the PS1/Saturn games, or the PSP game?

I would be all over a rerelease though. Especially if something like Limited Run did a physical edition.
Well, LRG does have experience doing Sega CD-style physical releases (which they did for our Cosmic Star Heroine specifically because Lunar was such a big influence on the game).

OP
OP
aidan

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, if there was a new Lunar game but it had to be on a smaller budget (so nothing crazy fancy like Ni no Kuni or Persona 5 graphics), would you prefer the graphic style to emulate the Sega CD games, the PS1/Saturn games, or the PSP game?

Well, LRG does have experience doing Sega CD-style physical releases (which they did for our Cosmic Star Heroine specifically because Lunar was such a big influence on the game).
I'd personally love the PSX-style graphics, because that was my introduction to the series and my favourite version. I wouldn't be disappointed by something that replicated the Sega CD versions, though.

Aug 1, 2018
32-bit for sure! (PS1/Saturn)

Sega CD looks too dated, but the PS1/Saturn art style is timeless

cj_iwakura

Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

Obviously with lower budget, you can do more, like the original's massive dungeons and maps, so it's a no brainer: Sega CD.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017

Sign me up for Sega CD style graphics. I'll never give up on that nostalgia.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I much prefer L2 Eternal Blue since it's more meatier in story and gameplay and at some point I'm going to complete a play through of Lunar Magic School

A very zoomed in couple from L2EB

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The thing was, they usually threw pop culture stuff in to make NPCs worth talking to. These were people that always said the same thing, 'go to x to find y', so they decided to add flavor text to make them more fun to speak with.
And I'm glad they did! The humor could be hit or miss, but at least they injected some personality where there was none before.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer this one to the followup. I need to revisit both of them, but I enjoyed the story and character more.

OP
OP
aidan

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
For no reason, let's discuss how Pete from Mad Men and Nash are the same person.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I’ve started this game I never get more than 10 hours in. Not that I’m not enjoying it. Just...idk I haven’t managed to get very far despite really wanting to.

BMW

Oct 25, 2017
I was blown away when Lunar 2: Eternal Blue had its epilogue. I've always wanted RPGs to have something like that. Working Designs was such a nice company - they made the best strategy guides as well.

Samurai G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Denver, CO
this is my childhood. replaying this game over and over because i just adored and loved everything about it.

<3 I felt sooo accomplished when i got all the dragon armor. felt So damn Amazing.

OP
OP
aidan

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone out there who was introduced to the series with SSSC but ended up preferring the Sega CD release? Seems like preference is mostly up to which system you first discovered the series on.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone out there who was introduced to the series with SSSC but ended up preferring the Sega CD release? Seems like preference is mostly up to which system you first discovered the series on.
I played the SCD versions first & I prefer the PS1 versions on both games. But if the games were to be rereleased digitally and had both versions as an option, I'd definitely replay both versions.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
Lunar and Lunar 2 on PS1 are probably the most treasured games in my collection. For a while, Lunar was my all time favourite game. The giant box definitely drew me in to the first game. It was an RPG that really resonated with me at the time, and other than the friends I lent my copies to, nobody had heard of these games. It's really cool to see it come up like this in this community.

To anyone thinking of playing for the first time, start with the first one. Eternal Blue takes place in the same world's future, and while you're not going to run into a bunch of characters from the first game 500 years later (?) the characters and events of the first game are literally what shaped this new world.

You know what's really sad? I bought a DS specifically for Dragon Song. Good thing there were hundreds of good games for that system too...

OP
OP
aidan

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I played this game soooo long ago on GBA.

Is that a garbage ver? Should I look to play another port of this game?
It's a fine little game in a vacuum, but it's probably the weakest version of the game available. It's definitely worth looking at playing a different version if you enjoyed the GBA one.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's a fine little game in a vacuum, but it's probably the weakest version of the game available. It's definitely worth looking at playing a different version if you enjoyed the GBA one.
I don't know. I would say the PSP version is the worst. The new opening completely ruins the mystery of the Goddess Althena and every twist in the story.

OP
OP
aidan

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I would say the PSP version is the worst. The new opening completely ruins the mystery of the Goddess Althena and every twist in the story.
Yeah, I don't disagree (especially about the awful prologue), which is why I said probably. I'd say the GBA and PSP versions are pretty close over all, and neither is BAD in a vacuum, just... disappointed when compared to the earlier two versions. Though maybe the PSP's flaws drag it down more than the GBA version's, which is mostly just simple.

OP
OP
aidan

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be that pessimistic. Studio Alex did a great job, but there have been numerous examples of series that have had great entries done by different teams. Sonic Mania is a good recent example.
Yeah. I think there are a a few indie teams (*coughZeboydcough*) that could do a really great job with the series. Falcom might also be an interesting fit, since I see a lot of similarities between Lunar and the Trails series.

above average

Apr 4, 2018
These are my favorite JRPGs of all time, but I'm still partial to the SegaCD versions, due to that being the platform I first played them on, and due to some changes. Also still have the punchy Ghaleon. 😄

But seriously, SegaCD Eternal Blue is just...perfection as far as JRPGs go. So good in every way.
Other than more voices, Silver Star Story was better on Sega CD in every other way. The intro music change sucked, the non random battles killed any challenge the game had and the plot changes killed the emotional beats of the story. It's one of my top 10 favourite games of all time and the PSX version is unplayable for me.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
In my top 5 all time. Love this game and its cast of characters, saw the Nash double turn coming and still loved him, and Jessica is one of my favourite characters of all time. I still watch Boat Song every now and then, so good.

I need to play it again through, but I only have it on iOS right now and the songs are so different :(

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Stumbled on this game a few weeks ago. Backlog is to long right now but definetly caught my interest and going to play the PSP version on my v

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete was released in North America in May, 1999, which means 2019 is its 20th anniversary! This is one of my favourite games of all time, so, to celebrate, I recently replayed Lunar: SSSC to completion for the first time in probably ten years. Now's a great time to celebrate this game, and the Lunar series in general, which feels under-appreciated these days, since it's only really available to people via a mediocre mobile port.

Over on EGMNOW, I had the opportunity to write a long, heart-filled retrospective of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, but I wanted to take the time here to go through some of the things that stood out to me, and highlight why I think this game is so special.

History

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
is a PlayStation and Saturn remake of Lunar: The Silver Star, one of the most popular games on the SEGA CD. It was later also released on Windows and iOS. Lunar: SSSC was developed by Studio Alex and released in North America by Working Designs in 1999.

Story & Characters

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete tells the story of young Alex, an erstwhile bumpkin from a village called Burg who dreams of following in the footsteps of his hero, Dragonmaster Dyne. When him and his friends Luna and Ramus set out to get a Dragon Diamond from a nearby cave, they take the first steps on a journey that will save the world and change them all irrevocably.

All of the characters, from Alex and Luna, to Jessica, Nash, Nall, and Ghaleon, have full, realized character arcs, realistic motivations, and varied personalities. Best of all is the way the team comes together like a group of real people, which genuine relationships building between all of them. I love the way the party doesn't always get along—there's a lot of sandpaper between Kyle and Nash, and the tumultuous nature of Kyle and Jessica's relationship is sweet and well-handled.

From top to bottom, it's a fun, adventurous story with a great amount of warmth and heart. One of the things I think sets it apart from other JRPGs at the time is that Alex is constantly driving the plot forward in a proactive way. Rather than responding to something that happens to him outside of his control, he sets out to have an adventure, and each step along the plot's path is a choice made by Alex and the party. This really leads to a sense of adventure and wonder that is unmatched outside of other games that aren't Grandia or Trails in the Sky (both of which I consider spiritual successors to Lunar.) It's full of cliches, but it's so well executed, and the world and characters are so likeable, that it feels like the perfect telling of a favourite story.

Gameplay

One of my favourite things about Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete is how fast and snappy everything is (except saving to a PS1 memory card...) Character movement is quick and fluid, even without a run button, dialogue moves along snappily, and you're into battles and fighting super quick thanks to the game's "Tactics" system (which allows you to set up predetermined actions for each character.) This carries over to the plot, which never stops moving and keeps dishing out excitement, emotion, and character development at a satisfying pace.

Graphics

(Screenshots courtesy Lunar.net)

I'm a sucker for gorgeous 2D sprite-based graphics, and Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete still holds up wonderfully today. It's character sprites are small and basic, without even the emotive animations found in something like Final Fantasy VI, but the character portraits that accompany dialogue more than make up for this. The world is varied and detailed, feeling like a living, breathing place. The original release was already a nice looking game, but Lunar: SSSC took that base work and really made something beautiful out of it. It's always fun to see what's around the next corner, and the anime cut scenes feel like a sweet reward as you progress through the story.

Working Designs Localization

One of the huge question marks I had going into my replay of Lunar: SSSC was how the Working Designs localization would hold up in 2019. It's been divisive among fans since the game's release, and a lot of the game's humour was cringey even in the mid-nineties. For the most part, though, the localization remains as warm, hopeful, and well-written as I remembered it being. There's definitely a ton of groan-worth jokes, and some tasteless transphobia when Kyle's introduced (though that's on the original creators, not WD necessarily), but it's mostly contained to side content and NPC dialogue, meaning it didn't impact or detract from my overall enjoyment of the game. This was released just when publishers were realizing how important a good localization was and, compared to its contemporaries like Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy VII, or Suikoden 2, it set a new bar.

The thing that stood out most negatively to me was the way Working Designs tweaked the difficulty in battle. They increased enemy damage by 45% (!!!) and winning a battle provided 14% less experience and 10% less gold. This often turns what otherwise feels like a light, charming experience into a grindfest at times, with dungeons feeling like a battle of attrition and resource management. I don't mind this style of difficulty, and the game never feels unfair, but given how bright and cheery everything else is, I found myself wishing the game were a bit easier, especially if it chopped 5 or so hours off the completion time.

Media

Video

Artwork from Lunar: The Silver Star & Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

Wrap-up

In all, I was really impressed and pleased to see how the game lived up to my memories and expectations. It can be harrowing revisiting an old favourite, but when they're crafted with as much love, attention, and care as Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete it becomes obvious that time will continue to be kind to one of the best JRPGs ever.

Now, to somehow convince Vic Ireland and whoever owns the rights to the games to get them up on PSN so more people can experience this wonderful series.

Resources
Stumbled on this game a few weeks ago. Backlog is to long right now but definetly caught my interest and going to play the PSP version on my Vita in the future.

Nice post OP!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Falcom might also be an interesting fit, since I see a lot of similarities between Lunar and the Trails series.
I've only played through Trails FC+SC (bought some more in the recent Steam sale so I'm planning on playing the rest of the series), but from what I played, it felt like someone was a Lunar fan and a Suikoden fan and tried to combine the two, while adding a bit of more advanced technology into the mix.

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
Also: I'm sad that Vay, gets no attention these days. It was a big part of my childhood too.
It's funny you write this. I was going to say something very similar in my post earlier in the thread, but decided to keep it on topic. Vay is right alongside Lunar in my book in terms of AMAZING RPG's that to this day shapes my gaming preferences. Such a brilliant and mostly hidden gem that game was.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
One of my favorite video games of all time. I loved lunar silver star complete. I wish I never lent it to an asshole back in high school and he never gave it back.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite video games of all time. I loved lunar silver star complete. I wish I never lent it to an asshole back in high school and he never gave it back.
Yep, thats what happened to me. But I kept the box and all the extras and only lent out the game. About 4 years ago, I decided to get SSSC back and also get EB, which I never played. Paid a shit ton for both.

I was lucky enough to be working at Babbages when they released it. We got a box of Ghaleon puppets that were supposed to be given to people who preordered the games. The staff all took one for themselves lol. It was a treat ever time Working Designs released a game. The massive boxes were so beautiful.