• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 5 days, 8 hours, 25 minutes, 48 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Life is Strange 2 |OT| Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Episode 5 out now!)

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this but man the ending I received left me deeply frustrated
Sean going to prison for 15 fucking years for crimes he didn't commit. This game just made me hate bigots even more and fuck the police. If that was part of the intention of the ending that even in a supposedly "good" ending that there isn't going to be justice... well done. I think the breakout of the police station was one forced escalation too much though just to establish some sort of criminal guilt on you. But fuck that. As in the game the system failed the brothers and they got into all this shit cause another shitty ass police man has to shoot before asking questions.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
episode was 3 hours for me.

It was a good final episode imo.
Some surprises,more gameplay than in episode 4...and the final choice was expected,but it makes sense.
too bad my ending was not very emotional.
in jail for 15 years

Also no licensed tracks?that was a bit underwhelming.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
episode was 3 hours for me.

It was a good final episode imo.
Some surprises,more gameplay than in episode 4...and the final choice was expected,but it makes sense.
too bad my ending was not very emotional.
in jail for 15 years

Also no licensed tracks?that was a bit underwhelming.
Your ending had the best outcome, imo.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
That finale was... excellent. I was harsh on the season for the most, but I really enjoyed that. The lack of licensed music annoyed me a bit, but thankfully the original OST is amazing anyway.

My ending was

Daniel living with grandparents and Sean crossing to Mexico. Bittersweet, but ultimately both brothers ended with a good life - Sean with Cassidy and Daniel with family.

I also went back and chose to surrender, and got the 15 years in prison ending. It was nice to see Layla again here, but I felt pretty bad about this ending. 15 years in prison for something that you're not guitly of? Man, no matter Sean looked absolutely DESTROYED. Tbh, surrendering just felt pointless to me at that point - Daniel has alrady wrecked the police station, so might as well go all in.

As for some of the other endings I REALLY like the one where they both end in Mexico. It's obviously the "villain" route, but fuck it, they deserve it for all the shit they've gone through together.

It was a bit shorter than most episodes and some of the stuff is definitely a bit "clunky" because it has to "fit" for a lot of different ways people played the game, but of the 3 LiS games, this is by far the best final episode IMO.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
After Chloe died he and Joyce broke up and he couldn't get over it.
He's still in contact with her tho and you can listen to him calling her

What does he say if you chose Bae? Does he talk about if people died in Arcadia Bay?
Yes, basically everyone died. But you can find a letter to him from Victoria Chase (she survived because she was in the bunker), and he talks about Chloe and Max, and also takes a call from Chloe at one point and you can stand around and listen to his side of the conversation.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, brutal yet sobering ending..

15 years in prison.... it's brutal seeing Sean break down at the campfire in the epilogue, that was tough to watch. I feel like the game wants to show how people are victims to a fucked system in this ending. Is it a happy ending if Sean had 15 years of his life ruined for taking care of his brother..? man fuck that. At least Lyla was there at the end.

Uzzy

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it now. I see they took the criticism of Life is Strange 1's ending to heart, cause there's some massive differences in endings that depend on what you taught Daniel throughout. So it's good to see that they weaved the threads throughout.

I got what Squeenix are calling the Blood Brothers ending, where they're both in Mexico. Felt like a good ending to me at least.

Overall though

While I enjoyed Sean and Daniel's journey a lot, it's telling that I felt the most when I got inside David's trailer and saw the outcome of the bae ending, seeing the post bae ending Max and Chloe, the letter from Victoria Chase, that David had found some peace and built something of a father/daughter relationship with Chloe. And when the Max and Chloe theme hit it just killed me.

Looking hella cool.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, brutal yet sobering ending..

15 years in prison.... it's brutal seeing Sean break down at the campfire in the epilogue, that was tough to watch. I feel like the game wants to show how people are victims to a fucked system in this ending. Is it a happy ending if Sean had 15 years of his life ruined for taking care of his brother..? man fuck that. At least Lyla was there at the end.
Yeah I was unsure about the ending since it felt kinda "empty" but that scene with Sean breaking down and Daniel obviously feeling distant or guilty made it obvious that was the point. The system screwed them over, and while Daniel seems to have gotten a happy life out of Sean's sacrifice, it came at a heavy cost.

Although my brain then instantly snapped to "how the heck will they do any more Life is Strange games now". I guess they'll keep the super powers and drama localized to small groups of people... until 2033

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Honestly the "evil" endings are
the better ones lol. At least if you consider ramming through the border evil. Either way it ends they both live, either together or split apart, but having a life each. Giving up either gets you killed or 15 years into prison

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. I went with the
High Morality Surrender Ending - Redemption
. It blows in a way, but I actually really liked the ending in ways. It's bitter, but also ends all of the running from the law. The brothers, as mine are, play a moral support for each other in trying times. These endings are a lot better than Life is Strange 1's final cinematics in terms of breadth while I was more invested emotionally with the former title. Speaking of which,
I was super surprised to see David of all people return for a speaking role! He touches on Chole's death from my playthrough and how it opened his eyes to his foolish behavior with people.
It's good to see that more good came from my choice all of those years leading up to this.

Overall, my time with the game was waning. It has its moments, but I simply couldn't latch on to the main characters as much as .Max, Chloe, etc. Daniel, for being the worst thing ever, simply gets away with too much in the narrative for me to see him much more as a poor walking plot device. In any case, I hated the release schedule for this, but a better one wouldn't have saved the game much I believe.

As for the other endings:
They're good in other ways. Low Morality can have the brothers take it up as hustlers in crime-ridden neighborhoods or separated while happy in their own bubbles in methods that are very satisfying to see on a base level. However, I feel these miss the essense of the entire story. In addition, I could have used Lyla in my ending and find it interesting that she is absent if you didn't keep in contact. She knew the risks for both parties, so contacting her always came off mindless to me. It pays off in the end depending on the ending though. I am also fond of Cassidy being in one of the alternate endings.

Also AKIRA

Last edited:

Zexion

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game:

I got the Prison Ending. Honestly I think it was a pretty decent ending because the game was really pushing the whole "This wouldn't have happened if they weren't minorities'" thing pretty hard.

Fantomas

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished.

My ending:
I chose to cross the border, but Daniel refused and jumped out. I honestly am pretty happy with how the epilogue went for this, it sounds like Sean going to jail is a lot more rough. Even though they were split up, I'm just glad Daniel got to live a good life with the grandparents and that Sean was able to live peacefully in Mexico and that Cassidy came to live with him.

As for the rest of my choices for the episode:
Sean:
Overall I taught Daniel to follow the rules of society. (We do live in one, after all)
Did the treasure hunt and found the hidden souvenir. (Arrrr)
Overall got closer to Karen. (Great character tbh)
Didn't leave a note for Karen. (Must have missed this)
Said farewell to Arthur and Stanley. (Nice couple)
Didn't say farewell to Joan. (I just wanted to hit the road already at this point)
Hugged Karen before leaving. (Whoever didn't is a monster!)
Stayed out of the argument. (Fuck those racists)
Didn't open the couple's cell. (Had other things on my mind, like you know, getting the fuck out of there ASAP)
Didn't ask Daniel to free the vigilantes. (And I wouldn't have either way)
Didn't hurt the vigilantes. (Didn't know I had the option, probably wouldn't have though)
Didn't ask Daniel to kill the police officers to escape the station. (Locked them in a closet at the last moment)

Daniel:
Daniel was told off about the scorpion and stopped messing with it. (No need to fuck with bugs)
Daniel manager to set up Joan's sculpture like he wanted. (With the arms on top)
Daniel was concerned about hurting officer Campbell. (He did what he had to do)
Daniel wasn't asked to free the vigilantes. (See above)
Daniel didn't have to lash out at the vigilantes. (Some scenes here I would kind of like to see apparently)
Daniel locked up the officers in the closet. (See above)
Daniel wasn't asked to kill the officers (See above)

And then of course, for the moment during the first part:
DAVID! Wow, that was a nice way to tie up the Bae ending, getting some closure on what happened after all of that, the letter from Victoria, the picture of older Max and Chloe, David's thoughts on everything, and his phone call with Chloe (they're in New York City!) yeah, that was all really good stuff. I'm just glad that it was acknowledged and that was a fun way to work it in at the end there.

Overall, I did like it a lot, but not as much as the first game. LiS 1 is just such a special game to me, it means so much to me, I doubt many things could ever top that. This was a great game though, and I'm definitely in for more stuff within this universe from them if they choose to keep making LiS games. I would love for a return to a smaller scope in terms of locations and characters and stuff, it's fun getting to know the characters they create, but in this game it really felt like I never got the chance to fully connect with a lot of them, they were always gone after an episode and the most we'd hear is something on the internet in the next episode, or a letter. or sometimes just nothing.

Anyways, looking forward to reading through other people's thoughts, especially all the people who will be playing through the episodes for the first time now that they are all out. I am interested to see the opinions of those who play through at their own pace rather than waiting months for each episode to come out, wondering if they'll have a different perspective on things I guess.

GLAVONAK

Oct 25, 2017
as with the previous episodes, the strongest parts are the small moments while the big dramatic stuff can feel weaker
David was genuinely surprising; could’ve been really cheesy and fan service-y but it worked and getting just a glimpse of Max and Chloe’s lives after Arcadia Bay was really nice <3
definitely felt like a quicker episode but that wasn’t surprising
my first instinct was to rush the border and I almost instantly regretted it (especially when Daniel jumped out of the car) but I was pleased with my ending; the photo of Sean and Finn packed with some sand was so nice
went back and picked the surrender option and found it to be super depressing, seeing Sean break down in the forest was too much for me

overall I really enjoyed LiS2
it has its flaws but it was still one of the most captivating things I’ve played this year

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
Got the parting ways ending with Daniel jumping out of the car. I like it, Sean ends up safe in Mexico with Cassidy and Daniel has a normal life with his grandparents, Karen and Chris. And he gets a puppy!

I liked the Easter egg/Shout out to Oxenfree

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
I have to say they did a much better job making your choices matter in the end compared to the first game. I'm not sure which ending I like more of the 2 possible with a morally good Daniel. Both fit well with the story and are bittersweet. Overall I liked season 2 a bit more. Sean turned out to be one of my favorite protagonists in any game despite the reservations I had at first. Both are fantastic though and the endings hit me hard.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Some general thoughts and my ending:
I got Parting Ways. Despite teaching Daniel to follow the rules and be a good kid, I felt like we were so close to lose it all now so we made a run for it. I regretted it almost immediately, especially when Daniel talked about not wanting to hurt anyone(thankfully, it looks like he doesn't in this version) and bailed at the last moment. Daniel ends up with his grandparents(albeit under house arrest), but he seems happy throughout it. And Sean(and Finn!!!) get to live free in Puerto Lobos.

Despite that, I replayed it to see the Redemption ending(they both surrender). Wow... What a depressing end to the story. Daniel has a great life, and Sean goes to prison and looks broken. I was in tears the whole time -- Layla coming was nice, but re-tracing their journey in the woods, seeing Sean lose it, and them parting ways was heart-breaking. I'm a Bay>BAE person, and this ending was too bleak for me.

David was a nice touch, and it's great that they redeemed him. I actually found what he said really insightful, and he was right! Sean and Daniel shouldn't have ran. Their lives would be MUCH better if they hadn't.

Anyways... I loved LiS2. Daniel was frustrating at times, but I adore Sean and their journey. It wasn't perfect, but it resonated emotionally with me more than LiS1(which I loved and plan to re-play soon).

gaiadyne

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some general thoughts and my ending:
I got Parting Ways. Despite teaching Daniel to follow the rules and be a good kid, I felt like we were so close to lose it all now so we made a run for it. I regretted it almost immediately, especially when Daniel talked about not wanting to hurt anyone(thankfully, it looks like he doesn't in this version) and bailed at the last moment. Daniel ends up with his grandparents(albeit under house arrest), but he seems happy throughout it. And Sean(and Finn!!!) get to live free in Puerto Lobos.

Despite that, I replayed it to see the Redemption ending(they both surrender). Wow... What a depressing end to the story. Daniel has a great life, and Sean goes to prison and looks broken. I was in tears the whole time -- Layla coming was nice, but re-tracing their journey in the woods, seeing Sean lose it, and them parting ways was heart-breaking. I'm a Bay>BAE person, and this ending was too bleak for me.

David was a nice touch, and it's great that they redeemed him. I actually found what he said really insightful, and he was right! Sean and Daniel shouldn't have ran. Their lives would be MUCH better if they hadn't.

Anyways... I loved LiS2. Daniel was frustrating at times, but I adore Sean and their journey. It wasn't perfect, but it resonated emotionally with me more than LiS1(which I loved and plan to re-play soon).
I think the biggest difference here that makes the endings work is that
You get to make your own and Daniel gets to make his own decision. If you both agree you end up together eventually. In LiS1 only Max makes the decision regardless of what Chloe might have wanted. It makes the endings more complex and reflects your Daniels development. I got the same ending as you and I couldn't be more pleased that I taught Daniel right and he decided in the end what he felt was best.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest difference here that makes the endings work is that
You get to make your own and Daniel gets to make his own decision. If you both agree you end up together eventually. In LiS1 only Max makes the decision regardless of what Chloe might have wanted. It makes the endings more complex and reflects your Daniels development. I got the same ending as you and I couldn't be more pleased that I taught Daniel right and he decided in the end what he felt was best.
Absolutely.

I love that he learned enough that he could make what he felt was the right decision even when it directly conflicted with what his "teacher" wanted him to do. It's perfect really, and shows that he wasn't a "Little Wolf" anymore.

Jiminy

Avenger
Mar 29, 2018
Why the fuck isn't all this chat happening in a spoiler thread lol

Can we have some spoiler free impressions please? My partner and I haven't had time to play since episode 2.

Last edited:

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
Why the fuck isn't all this chat happening in a spoiler thread lol

Can we have some spoiler free impressions please? My partner and I haven't had time to play since episode 2.

Overall the final.episode and endings themselves are stronger than s1 in that they all fit and feel appropriate except maybe one of them and choices throughout are taken into account. I couldn't blame Sean for any decision he makes in the end after all they have been through and how Daniel was raised will determine what happens with your decision resulting in 4 very different endings. To me S1 only had one ending that really fit and felt appropriate and neither ending took your choices into consideration. Last episode as a whole was weak in s1 minus the ending itself.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Only started this a few days ago and finished episode 1. Really enjoyed it.

Also, thank you for whoever decided to put Bloc Party in the game, that took me right back to my teen years.

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
Yep, couldn't say it better ! Thanks to all who played through LIS2, it's been a long road (ah!) ♥
And for those starting their journeys with the now-complete series, enjoy !
Thank you for a great season. Enjoyed it just as much if not more than S1. Sean is one of my favorite protagonists in any game. Sad to see it end and hope we get another lis game.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I know they didn't try anything, but I immediately regretted freeing the racist militia assholes, but the things you gotta do if you wanna make a Clark Kent. Albeit one on house arrest, but still.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After having played episode 1 at launch, waited and then binged the whole thing starting yesterday. Episode impressions: 1 was fine but ended up kind of boring, 2 was just boring, 3 had a frustrating first half but a pretty good second half, 4 and 5 were both pretty great. It’s funny because it’s kind of the inverse of my thoughts on LIS1, which I liked a lot at first but really dropped the ball for like, the entire final episode.

Got the prison ending. Made me sad because Sean deserved much better, but Lyla was there at the end and I really like her so it was a good ending.