• An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 1 day, 4 hours, 28 minutes, 32 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Is Ryusei Nakao the greatest villain Japanese VA of all time

DragonSJG

Mar 4, 2019
If you don't know this, but Ryusei Nakao is the Japanese voice of Frieza from DBZ. Here is what he sounds like:

And I have to say that his performance is music to my ears honestly. I just love the way he speaks as Frieza. He captures his essence and delivers an outstanding performance that is extremely villainous . His role as this just blows me away honestly, so is he like the best or what?

xaM

Oct 25, 2017
U.S.
Watching Nozawa and Nakao go toe-to-toe during the climax of that arc is something to behold. I don't care the lengths they go to contrive Freeze into any future plots because Nakao is just that good.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Mayuri Kurotsuchi is fucking awesome thanks to him.

He was also in an episode of Kamen Rider...Kabuto? I think. edit: Deno-O and Kiva. He did a bunch of super sentai as well.

Castile

Dec 1, 2017
Gonna give my vote to Jouji Nakata as Kotomine (and Jojo's Pucci as another villain example).
Bonus points for loving his role so much that he cosplays as him in events, and role plays on twitter. This is his birthday message to Iris's va lol.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
the answer is yes. more Nakao was the main reason why I wasn't rolling my eyes when they decided to bring Freeza back. the man is a legend.

wakamoto close second, appropriately enough

his finest moment:

KING

Mendinso

Oct 25, 2017
Ryusei Nakao is fantastic. He actually played Him in Power Puff Girls Z, which was a match made in heaven. Originally he was supposed to play the narrator (which ultimately the anime dropped except one episode, which they brought back the old Japanese PPG dub narrator), but that didn't happen. He also played the villain in Anpanman and Hiromi Tsuru played the side kick (rest in piece), which is likely why Resurrection F had a couple curious lines in it (both for the movie cut and the TV cut of the arc), likely referencing this.

I'm so used to him playing Villain characters, that I occasionally hear him do good guys and it always throws me off. In Montana Jones, he voices Montana's side-kick (and I believe brother), Alfred, and Kir in Jing: King of Bandits. Those two come to mind and it always threw me off.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna give my vote to Jouji Nakata as Kotomine (and Jojo's Pucci as another villain example).
Bonus points for loving his role so much that he cosplays as him in events, and role plays on twitter. This is his birthday message to Iris's va lol.
Yup, his Araya Souren in Kara no Kyoukai was great too.

Echo

Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
YESSSSS I came for Yorokobe Shounen and Castile did not disappoint. He's such a sly and insidious Villian too. A thinking man with an interesting past/upbringing. Outside the typical villian mold imo. I love Kirei. Especially in Fate/Zero.

Oh wait we're talking about VA's. Well... also from Fate/ verse Gilgamesh VA is pretty popular.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Blackbeards fucking amazing as well, they need to get to the final Arc already so we can have just episode after episode of blackbeard talking.

Akio Ōtsuka - aka Southern aka All for one

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Its that smug way of talking that really makes his characters. I loved the banter between him and Jiren/Goku in Super.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
YESSSSS I came for Yorokobe Shounen and Castile did not disappoint. He's such a sly and insidious Villian too. A thinking man with an interesting past/upbringing. Outside the typical villian mold imo. I love Kirei. Especially in Fate/Zero.

Oh wait we're talking about VA's. Well... also from Fate/ verse Gilgamesh VA is pretty popular.

Seki's popularity has gotten to his head for years now. He's gained the status where he doesn't care what he says or how he acts when he's in front of a camera and will get away with it. While usually leading to extreme hilarity, he's gone a bit too far more than a few times. He's essentially Sugita without self-restraining shackles.

VDenter

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best for sure. Especially when he was in his prime during the production of Z.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
i'm pretty partial to Sho Hayami (Aizen) and Naoya Uchida (Madara Uchiha)

Ryusei Nakao is a goat tho