• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max announced (starting $699, $999, $1099 - Preorder Friday, ships Sept. 20th)

📱?

• iPhone 11

Votes: 218 11.4%
  • iPhone 11 Pro

Votes: 249 13.0%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max

Votes: 306 16.0%
  • Pass

Votes: 1,138 59.5%

• Total voters

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Did you guys do the iPhone upgrade program or just buy it/monthly payments it?
The upgrade program is just a monthly payment plan with the Apple Care baked in. I chose to do monthly payments through Verizon because IIRC, doing it through Apple requires a hard credit check.

Safari (regular and Private) tabs should backup in an iCloud backup right? I migrated to my 11 Pro today and my tabs aren't there. Was expecting to have all my tabs show up...

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Ah gotcha. I'm doing the math here and in the hypothetical situation that I get a 256G 11 Pro Max and upgrade next year, the breakdown would be this after 12 months:

Upgrade Program: $60.33 * 12 months = $723.96
Normal monthly installment: $52.04 * 12 months = $624.48

If Apple has the trade-in program where it gives you up to $600 for your previous phone, doesn't that make the Upgrade Program a waste? I'm not sure if Apple always gives $600 for the previous year's Max model, but they did quote me $600 for my iPhone XS Max 64G that I'm giving to my parents instead.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Ah gotcha. I'm doing the math here and in the hypothetical situation that I get a 256G 11 Pro Max and upgrade next year, the breakdown would be this after 12 months:

Upgrade Program: $60.33 * 12 months = $723.96
Normal monthly installment: $52.04 * 12 months = $624.48

If Apple has the trade-in program where it gives you up to $600 for your previous phone, doesn't that make the Upgrade Program a waste? I'm not sure if Apple always gives $600 for the previous year's Max model, but they did quote me $600 for my iPhone XS Max 64G that I'm giving to my parents instead.
First question, do you need or want Apple Care?

The only advantage of any "upgrade program" be it Apple or Verizon, is that you don't have to go through the hassle of selling the phone. As soon as you hit the 1 year mark in payments, you are eligible to upgrade. At that point, you simply give them your phone and they give you a new one back.

For me personally, I'm cheap af and want the most money back. I would rather pay off the phone completely and then sell it for more by myself. You can still do this even if you are on the upgrade plan. Simply pay off the remaining balance of the phone and then sell it yourself after a year.

Another downside (I think) on an upgrade plan..lets say you want the iPhone 12 but it wont be delivered until January 2021. You will be making payments on your current phone until January 2021, and I don't think you get any money back when you trade it in. So you could potentially have paid off 14~ months worth of payments, and get nothing back to show for it.

tldr, do not "Upgrade" unless you're lazy.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
First question, do you need or want Apple Care?

The only advantage of any "upgrade program" be it Apple or Verizon, is that you don't have to go through the hassle of selling the phone. As soon as you hit the 1 year mark in payments, you are eligible to upgrade. At that point, you simply give them your phone and they give you a new one back.

For me personally, I'm cheap af and want the most money back. I would rather pay off the phone completely and then sell it for more by myself. You can still do this even if you are on the upgrade plan. Simply pay off the remaining balance of the phone and then sell it yourself after a year.

Another downside (I think) on an upgrade plan..lets say you want the iPhone 12 but it wont be delivered until January 2021. You will be making payments on your current phone until January 2021, and I don't think you get any money back when you trade it in. So you could potentially have paid off 14~ months worth of payments, and get nothing back to show for it.

tldr, do not "Upgrade" unless you're lazy.
Yeah I don't need AppleCare, which was my main deterrent from using the program. I just find it strange that they would offer $600 for your old iPhone and have the Upgrade program at the same time, unless I'm wrong and $600 isn't the going rate that they usually give for previous year's Max model.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
So anyone else's phone's screen scratching... very easily?

I've gone naked on every iPhone I've had since the original. My first-gen got scratched to hell, but ever since the 4S and beyond, the screen has been fine without a case or screen protector. I had an XS before this... same thing... great screen even after a year.

I'm getting new hairline scratches constantly on the 11 Pro Max. I mean - in just a month it looks worse than the XS, X, or 7 each did after a full year. I know the "shatter resistant screen" means easier scratching, but jeez.

Don't really care - a phone is a tool and I won't lose sleep over it. But it's a bit crazy how much more susceptible this model is versus its recent predecessors.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

I've gone naked on every iPhone I've had since the original. My first-gen got scratched to hell, but ever since the 4S and beyond, the screen has been fine without a case or screen protector. I had an XS before this... same thing... great screen even after a year.

I'm getting new hairline scratches constantly on the 11 Pro Max. I mean - in just a month it looks worse than the XS, X, or 7 each did after a full year. I know the "shatter resistant screen" means easier scratching, but jeez.

Don't really care - a phone is a tool and I won't lose sleep over it. But it's a bit crazy how much more susceptible this model is versus its recent predecessors.
You’re making me glad I chose to use a screen protector for the first time in like 6 years on this phone.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
The absolute first thing I do when I get my new iphones is remove it from the box in a dust free room and slap a glass screen protector on it. I had a scratch on my 6 plus screen after using it for just one week and after that never used an iphone without the screen protector again.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I don't need AppleCare, which was my main deterrent from using the program. I just find it strange that they would offer $600 for your old iPhone and have the Upgrade program at the same time, unless I'm wrong and $600 isn't the going rate that they usually give for previous year's Max model.
I have no idea what the going rate is on their upgrade program a month ago, but right now it's $550 for the XS Max trade in and only 460 for an XS, regardless of size. Seems worse than doing the Upgrade program if you take into account the AppleCare. BTW, you are refunded the remaining months of Apple Care if you cancel it after a year.

Drewton

Oct 27, 2017
Got iOS 13.2, I can’t really compare but I’m noticing insane detail in textures like leather with low light.

Mack

May 30, 2019
Got 2 hairline scratches on my 11. Enough of excessive care of my device, now onto normal usage ;)

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Got my Mous Contour case (https://eu.mous.co/products/contour-colour-slim-protective-iphone-11-pro-case?variant=29578073210995), this is much better than the RhinoShield one I had before. Texture is grippier and nicer, it feels considerably slimmer and lighter even though it's only a tiny bit smaller and it looks much better. The buttons are pretty weak and mushy though, and the speckled leather looks a bit goofy IRL - should've gotten the regular black leather one. Other than those two minor complaints, I'm happy.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
So I feel like I'm already hitting the limit of my 64GB phone. I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Program, there's no way to exchange for a higher storage capacity and up my monthly fee, right?

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
So I feel like I'm already hitting the limit of my 64GB phone. I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Program, there's no way to exchange for a higher storage capacity and up my monthly fee, right?
How long ago did you get the phone? If it was less than 14 days ago, you can return or exchange the phone at Apple.

Drewton

Oct 27, 2017
So even though I got Apple Care+ I noticed that my phone was still asking me to get it, then I saw that the serial number on the bill had one number wrong.

edit: So it turns out the wrong serial number they entered was for an actual iPhone, they're refunding me for it.

Last edited:

Azurik

Nov 5, 2017

No issues on my pro. Been caseless since Lauch and can’t see any (micro) scratches, yet

Drewton

Oct 27, 2017
So even though I got Apple Care+ I noticed that my phone was still asking me to get it, then I saw that the serial number on the bill had one number wrong.

edit: So it turns out the wrong serial number they entered was for an actual iPhone, they're refunding me for it.
Apple on the phone sent me a gift card to cover the cost of buying Apple Care+ again but I can’t use it online, I hope I can use it in store.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Do we get a free year of Apple TV + for purchasing the IPhone 11?

I still need to download Apple arcade.

Souzetsu

Oct 25, 2017
California
You're better getting off a different model than this one. It will only charge at 5W, which is very slow. Look for one that can charge at 7.5W, like this one, which is the max that iPhone wirelessly charge at. You'll also want to pair it with one of these chargers too.

2Bee

Oct 27, 2017
Got an 11 Pro Max upgrading from a Galaxy 7 (and a lifetime of Galaxy phones) a week and a half ago, and I have to say the transition has been super smooth.

The battery on this thing is insane, like I am actually continually shocked by it. Getting access to my Apple TV 4k purchases on my phone was the main reason I decided to switch, and the phone is actually really good at playing those movies since it does have proper Dolby Vision support + an OLED screen.

Did you guys do the iPhone upgrade program or just buy it/monthly payments it?
I originally got it on the standard ATT monthly payments program, but decided to just pay it off completely after about a week. If the next iphone is tempting enough I can just sell this one for a nice amount going by how much iphone XS max are selling for right now.

Applecare+ is a great service. Highly recommend it.
I've been wondering if its worth it if I already have insurance through my carrier.

Do we get a free year of Apple TV + for purchasing the IPhone 11?

I still need to download Apple arcade.
Supposedly you just need to open the apple TV app when the service goes live, but I don't think anyone knows the exact details yet.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017

I’ve continued my general trend of using my phone naked and am absolutely not having any problems with scratches anywhere on my 11 Pro Max.

ZeroX

Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
ah fuck, people weren't kidding about the scratches. I've already got a hairline scratch on mine too from putting it in my front pocket. You can only see it in intense sunlight, but it took my X almost two years to get one.

Also has anyone noticed that lens flare is far more common on this model? And even after updates the camera app / lens changing is slower than X.

In good news, the battery life is still incredible (when not draining through glitches), I did hours of 4K filming and it survived the whole day. Also got the DJI Osmo Mobile 3 and it works super well with the Pro Max. The object tracking is really strong.

Mack

May 30, 2019
So guys, how often do you clean/wipe your iPhone’s screen? Every time it gets smudges (probably a dozen times a day) or maybe every couple of days?

Last edited:

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
I upgraded a few weeks back to the 128GB Unlocked Red iPhone 11 from the Xr. Not much of a difference performance wise outside of the incredible camera. Such a solid device.

Huge thanks to BAD for answering the few questions I had about the device!

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Got an 11 Pro Max upgrading from a Galaxy 7 (and a lifetime of Galaxy phones) a week and a half ago, and I have to say the transition has been super smooth.

The battery on this thing is insane, like I am actually continually shocked by it. Getting access to my Apple TV 4k purchases on my phone was the main reason I decided to switch, and the phone is actually really good at playing those movies since it does have proper Dolby Vision support + an OLED screen.
And ZeroX
Could you please check if your ultra wide angle lens is slightly more yellow than the other two lenses? Is this normal?

Erebus

Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Is it normal that I have a faint image retention of the WiFi, Signal icons etc on my iPhone 11 Pro? It's visible when I bring up the CC with its frosted greyish background.

I got the phone since launch and I never use it at full brightness. It's weird because I never noticed such thing with my Xs. I don't know if dark mode increases the chances of burn-in but that's disappointing even for oled standards.

Mack

May 30, 2019
To those rocking their iPhone’s 11 without screen protectors - how are your displays? I have some hairline scratches visible in direct sun/lamp light. Nothing major, I’d say on pair with what I experienced owning an iPhone 6S and 7.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
To those rocking their iPhone’s 11 without screen protectors - how are your displays? I have some hairline scratches visible in direct sun/lamp light. Nothing major, I’d say on pair with what I experienced owning an iPhone 6S and 7.
I have one hairline on my 11, and if I didn’t see it when the screen was off in direct sunlight, I likely never would have noticed it. Almost all but the deepest scratches disappear completely when the screen is on

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Everyone without a screen protector will have the tiny lines only visible at specific angles with the screen off.

That‘s how I use my phone. Goes in my pocket with keys. Lays face down on surfaces, etc.
No major scratches or gouges.