• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max announced (starting $699, $999, $1099 - Preorder Friday, ships Sept. 20th)

📱?

• iPhone 11

Votes: 218 11.4%
  • iPhone 11 Pro

Votes: 249 13.0%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max

Votes: 306 16.0%
  • Pass

Votes: 1,138 59.5%

• Total voters

Mack

May 30, 2019
Doesn’t this photo look too blurry/messy? Just shot it with ultra wide lens of my regular 11.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Returned my 11. I was so excited but I just didn't like it as much as my 7 Plus.

Here I thought "It's smaller but the screen itself is bigger, I won't miss the Plus". And sure, the screen was taller. But the width of the screen is shorter than a 7/8 Plus, so overall to me it felt like a downgrade in screen size. I didn't even consider width when it came to that.

I adore my 7 Plus. No sense in spending $700 on a phone I don't love just as much.

My baby will go on another year. Bring on iPhone 12. Please have an in-screen fingerprint scanner k thanks.
I feel the same way about the 11 but I had a 6 Plus and it was so slow. Once I actually got rid of the old phone it didn’t bother me as much but I definitely agree with you.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Got my Rhinoshield SolidSuit case for the 11 Pro. It definitely adds some bulk and it's frankly not nearly as grippy as I was hoping it'd be (it looked rubbery in photos, but it feels like hard plastic), but I might as well pop it on and see if I hate it now that I do have it.

Does anyone here have Rhinoshield's Crashguard? I take it it's the same hard plastic as the SolidSuit, just without the back panel?
After one day I'd say I'm fine with it but maybe not super happy with it, so I thought I'd get the Mous Contour case (speckled leather) to replace it: https://eu.mous.co/products/contour-colour-slim-protective-iphone-11-pro-case

Seems a bit closer to what I'm looking for. Hoping it is, at least, these protective cases are pretty expensive.

Drewton

Oct 27, 2017
Do people use optimize battery charging? I usually wake up at very different times on different days so if I wake up hours earlier one day I don’t know if my phone will only be at 80%.

Souzetsu

Oct 25, 2017
California
Do people use optimize battery charging? I usually wake up at very different times on different days so if I wake up hours earlier one day I don’t know if my phone will only be at 80%.
I use it. When I have it plugged in when I go to bed, I get a message saying that it will be charged up at 5:00 am. If you haptic touch the message you can have it charge now instead of waiting if you know you are going to wake up earlier.

Drewton

Oct 27, 2017
I use it. When I have it plugged in when I go to bed, I get a message saying that it will be charged up at 5:00 am. If you haptic touch the message you can have it charge now instead of waiting if you know you are going to wake up earlier.
Never seen that message myself, I always set my alarm so I wonder if it goes by that.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Camera tests kinda make it sound like a natural upgrade path for the 2020 iPhone's camera (aside from the time-of-flight array) is Focus Pixels on the wide angle lens.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Was waiting for this review and I'm sold now, coming from an 8+ that I've only had for a year but am already frustrated by the battery life at 89% health/capacity.
Battery tech is what it is. It's not like you're going to get better battery chemistry buying a PIxel. Plus the new charging algorithm will help some people a bit.

Mar 3, 2018
when I was at the Apple store to pickup an apple watch, and ended up playing with the iphone 11 pro and its camera...Now I am really tempted to buy one to replace my X. There isnt anything really wrong with my X, but the battery life could be nice as I leave the house at 7 am and usually get back around 7-8pm so need something that lasts, and I dont always walk around with a powerbank/portable battery. The camera is what really is pushing me towards it...I wish we knew for sure whether apple is getting rid of the notch next year or not, as that would be the only scenario where I would hold out for one more year,

Last edited:

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
when I was at the Apple store to pickup an apple watch, and ended up playing with the iphone 11 pro and its camera...Now I am really tempted to buy one to replace my X. There isnt anything really wrong with my X, but the battery life could be nice as I leave the house at 7 am and usually get back around 7-8pm so need something that lasts, and I dont always walk around with a powerbank/portable battery. The camera is what really is pushing me towards it...I wish we knew for sure whether apple is getting rid of the notch next year or not, as that would be the only scenario where I would hold out for one more year,
My (completely uninformed) guess is that the notch will go away next year and we'll probably see 90+ Hz displays. The 11s seem pretty damn great, I wouldn't hold off just because of the notch thing (I imagine you stop noticing it pretty quickly).

Erebus

Oct 29, 2017
Europe
I got a temperature warning screen on my iPhone 11 Pro out of nowhere. The funny thing is that my phone was just sitting on the desk at that moment and wasn't even charging. Hope it was just a software bug.

Has anyone encountered anything similar here?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018
My (completely uninformed) guess is that the notch will go away next year and we'll probably see 90+ Hz displays. The 11s seem pretty damn great, I wouldn't hold off just because of the notch thing (I imagine you stop noticing it pretty quickly).
Im also tempted to switch now since apple will give me $500 credit for my X here in Canada, and I could also sell it for $600-$700 to someone (canadian dollars. Next year price will drop which will make upgrading sting even more.

Ill go to the store again and see how I feel next week.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
I got a temperature warning screen on my iPhone 11 Pro out of nowhere. The funny thing is that my phone was just sitting on the desk at that moment and wasn't even charging. Hope it was just a software bug.

Has anyone encountered anything similar here?
Didn’t get a warning, but out of nowhere yesterday at work my 11 Pro Max started warming up extremely quickly and the battery dropped a few percent in what seemed like only a few minutes (and I wasn’t really using it much at the time). I restarted it and it cooled off and went back to normal but I wonder if a recent app update is bugged, because I haven’t had any other experiences like that (so far).

Erebus

Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Didn’t get a warning, but out of nowhere yesterday at work my 11 Pro Max started warming up extremely quickly and the battery dropped a few percent in what seemed like only a few minutes (and I wasn’t really using it much at the time). I restarted it and it cooled off and went back to normal but I wonder if a recent app update is bugged, because I haven’t had any other experiences like that (so far).
Yeah, it was the first time I got this kind of warning. Anyway, I've updated to 13.1.3 now and hopefully it was just a glitch.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So much power in this phone. When playing a game and notifications come in, the games stutter like hell. When opening camera and take a photo while playing games like RAID, the game gets closed. I really hope it's only iOS 13 fault and will be fixed soon.

Mar 3, 2018
So I’ve decided to get the 11 pro this Friday, and a few YouTube videos have mentioned how it gets warm or really hot during certain tasks such as photography...is this a thing or has it been resolved with iOS updates?

inguef

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So much power in this phone. When playing a game and notifications come in, the games stutter like hell. When opening camera and take a photo while playing games like RAID, the game gets closed. I really hope it's only iOS 13 fault and will be fixed soon.
I assume most games maximize the available power?

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up an 11 Pro this past weekend. Anyone found a case they love that doesn't break the bank? I picked up a couple off Amazon. One is very thin but doesn't have much grip and probably won't protect much. The other has nice grippy sides and protects better but is a noticeably thicker. Overall, I'm liking the second. Both were around $10.

Thin:

Thicker:

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up an 11 Pro this past weekend. Anyone found a case they love that doesn't break the bank? I picked up a couple off Amazon. One is very thin but doesn't have much grip and probably won't protect much. The other has nice grippy sides and protects better but is a noticeably thicker. Overall, I'm liking the second. Both were around $10.

Thin:

Thicker:
this spigen is probably the one you want:

thin attributes, but with slight thickness for any drops and a healthy lip for screen falls. it also has a ridged back and the texture is more grippable.

Oct 2, 2018
Anyone else notice that when doing videos, the footage is choppy AF and then you stop it. The recording is fine. It’s quite annoying

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I didn’t put my 11 on the wireless charger properly last night. It’s now mid day and I’m on 30%.
But looking at the battery chart in settings it seemed to drop from 75% at 11pm to 55-60% at 6am (while it was on the bedside table). Seems a big drop for it being unattended and screen off?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Has anybody experienced scratching on the back of their iPhone Pro? I just picked mine up and love the feel of it but really hate when my belongings get scratched up. I have an Apple leather case ready to go...but man I want to keep it bare

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody experienced scratching on the back of their iPhone Pro? I just picked mine up and love the feel of it but really hate when my belongings get scratched up. I have an Apple leather case ready to go...but man I want to keep it bare
Honestly is the kind of question where you can find whichever answer you want.

I guess I didn’t put my 11 on the wireless charger properly last night. It’s now mid day and I’m on 30%.
But looking at the battery chart in settings it seemed to drop from 75% at 11pm to 55-60% at 6am (while it was on the bedside table). Seems a big drop for it being unattended and screen off?
There seem to be battery bugs in 13.1.3.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? If scratches show on the back for others then I don't want to run it naked. If it's pretty scratch proof and stays clean then I will.
I mean you can go to MacRumors and there is a camp that insists it'll never scratch, and a camp that will insist that their scratched before they could even get a case on it.. and they used soft white gloves so that it was never touched by human hands.

It's either the most scratch proof phone ever, or the easiest to scratch in human history. Black and white.. internet style.

So what I meant is that you can find whichever answer you're looking for. From my perspective, I believe that they have been making the phones more scratch prone to make the glass less likely to shatter. I had a 6 Plus that never did accumulate scratches, same with my wife's 6. However having seen several XR's and X's, etc that looked pretty bad.. decided to case and screen protector this one. Even the XS that the local AT&T store manager had in his pocket and handed me to feel... was yikes. Of course I have no idea if he took care of it or whatever, just decided to take some caution. Besides my dry hands can't hold a naked phone anyways.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I mean you can go to MacRumors and there is a camp that insists it'll never scratch, and a camp that will insist that their scratched before they could even get a case on it.. and they used soft white gloves so that it was never touched by human hands.

It's either the most scratch proof phone ever, or the easiest to scratch in human history. Black and white.. internet style.

So what I meant is that you can find whichever answer you're looking for.
Ok...well I was asking people in this thread for their own personal opinion on it since I'm on the fence. I don't frequent Macrumors nor do I really wish to post on their forums.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Ok...well I was asking people in this thread for their own personal opinion on it since I'm on the fence. I don't frequent Macrumors nor do I really wish to post on their forums.
I think you're missing my point but I can live with it. I'm sure the people here have much more reliable opinions on the issue. /s

The bottom line is these are new phones and nobody knows. People can make assumptions based on past experience just like you. The MacRumors reference was important because you can get the experiences of many more people.. and you don't need to post anything. "Scratch proof" is always a hotly contested topic with each release that will garner thousands of posts.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Some things after a week from someone who upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an 11 Pro:

• Without the home button, I hold it upside down about 50% of the time. A minor issue but something I didn't expect. I do prefer the edge to edge screen but the home button did at least help me orient the phone when picking it up.
  • Face ID is kinda magical. It's certainly faster than Touch ID was to use. I literally can't unlock the phone (swipe up) faster than Face ID recognizes me.
  • Learning all of the new "buttonless" jestures took a little getting used to but after only a week, I think I've mastered them.
  • It's fast, obviously.
  • My first generation Air Pods stay connected. I used to have dropouts when my iPhone 6 was in my pocket but the antennas in the 11 Pro are clearly better.
  • I had to turn off "tap-to-wake" because putting my hands in my pocket kept turning on the flashlight. I wish there was a way to remove the home screen shortcuts entirely.
  • "Hey Siri" is kinda neat. I've used it a few times now. It's just like having Alexa everywhere.
  • Battery life on this thing is insane. I haven't gone below 75% in a day. Granted, I'm not a super heavy user, but man, it's crazy how long the battery lasts and how fast it charges.
  • The screen is georgeous. I can't decide on my wallpaper because I want to show off how bright it is while at the same time wanting to use black to take advantage of the OLED.
  • I never had 3D Touch so Haptic Touch makes me feel like I didn't miss anything. I have to remind myself the feature exists, anyway.
  • My cellular bars are less than they were on the iPhone 6. I'm not sure why that would be. Seems more like a software issue or maybe this phone connects to cell towers differently. I've not had any call or data issues, it's just that the phone shows fewer bars than the 6 did.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I get your point. I just don't care. You might be missing mine though.
To be clear my point wasn't that you should go elsewhere.. my point was that even with thousands of people focused on this issue, there isn't a clear answer. People seem to have vastly different anecdotal experiences with this.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Went to the App Store for a live lock screen saver........and literally every app is some dumb subscription service wtf?? Any way to just browse and buy animated screen savers?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
To be clear my point wasn't that you should go elsewhere.. my point was that even with thousands of people focused on this issue, there isn't a clear answer. People seem to have vastly different anecdotal experiences with this.
I know...but I came posting here because I actually wanted those anecdotal experiences.