• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max announced (starting $699, $999, $1099 - Preorder Friday, ships Sept. 20th)

📱?

• iPhone 11

Votes: 218 11.4%
  • iPhone 11 Pro

Votes: 249 13.0%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max

Votes: 306 16.0%
  • Pass

Votes: 1,138 59.5%

• Total voters

Fat Dad

Nov 28, 2017
I ordered a gold Pro Max. I love gold phones for some reason. It’s going to take another couple of weeks before it ships from Sprint though 😩.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
made the switch from S10+ to Regular 11 and I’m in loveeeeeee. The display is quite nice which surprised me the most coming from s10+. I love iOS already and took a lot of pics. Night mode is insane.

Genocyber

Jan 31, 2018
I have noticed that when using the ultra wide lens, photos are very blurry (not sharp) compared to the wide and telephoto lens.

Is anyone also experiencing this issue and is it a problem with the lens or camera software?

RingRang

Oct 2, 2019
Anyone else with an 11 experiencing some minor annoyance around the auto screen brightness behavior?

It just seems to dim a bit more then I want it to at times. Like I’m in a relatively dim room, but not a dark room, and it lowers the brightness all the way down as if I’m in a completely dark room. Never had this problem with my XS.

Machspeed007

Nov 25, 2017
Yes, I've noticed it too. But I've never seen a perfect auto-dim feature. I usually turn it off but since the iphone also alters the screen color temperature, I will have to live with it and hope it will get fixed with updates.

DagsJT

Oct 29, 2017
I have noticed that when using the ultra wide lens, photos are very blurry (not sharp) compared to the wide and telephoto lens.

Is anyone also experiencing this issue and is it a problem with the lens or camera software?
I’ve noticed the ultra wide camera is blurry on the edges of the photos I’ve taken. It’s nowhere near as good as the main camera.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

It seems fine to me. Not as good as the standard lens, but that’s to be expected.
Wide:

Ultra wide

Oct 25, 2017

I’ve noticed the ultra wide camera is blurry on the edges of the photos I’ve taken. It’s nowhere near as good as the main camera.
Yeah it's just a shitty lens. Mine is like that too.
The ultra wide lens has a fixed focus, unlike the main or telephoto lens, so it will always focus at one point and can’t adapt to whatever you’re trying to shoot

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So guys, after 8 years of Android (S2 + all Google phones after that), I got the 11 Pro Max. My last iPhone was the 3GS in 2009.
My last phone is the Pixel 2 XL, which is known for a "not so good screen". Now, I was worried about the news of the yellow screens, but it was ok and turning TT off made it almost blue-ish for me. I'm happy, as this is the very first OLED screen without uniformity issues or colored hues .... and I tried a lot of phones and saw coworker with others.
But one thing is strange to me: It's a bright screen, even one of the brightest out there according to the internet. But even with TT and auto brightness turned off, the screen is definetly dimmer than my Pixel 2 XL on max. Is there a secret setting I forgot to toggle?

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys I am seeing articles about people complaining about how easily the screen scratches on 11 and 11pro. Anybody here noticed anything with theirs?

Broken Hope

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys I am seeing articles about people complaining about how easily the screen scratches on 11 and 11pro. Anybody here noticed anything with theirs?
I’ve got a small scratch on the front glass of mine within weeks of owning it, it’s a deep scratch that can be felt with my nails.

Treated it the exact same way that I treated my 6, 7 and X and they only had minor scratches on the coating that could only be seen under bright light and couldn’t be felt with my nails.

Oct 25, 2017
So guys, after 8 years of Android (S2 + all Google phones after that), I got the 11 Pro Max. My last iPhone was the 3GS in 2009.
My last phone is the Pixel 2 XL, which is known for a "not so good screen". Now, I was worried about the news of the yellow screens, but it was ok and turning TT off made it almost blue-ish for me. I'm happy, as this is the very first OLED screen without uniformity issues or colored hues .... and I tried a lot of phones and saw coworker with others.
But one thing is strange to me: It's a bright screen, even one of the brightest out there according to the internet. But even with TT and auto brightness turned off, the screen is definetly dimmer than my Pixel 2 XL on max. Is there a secret setting I forgot to toggle?
turning the brightness to max manually will not actually make the display as bright as it can go, there's a deliberate limit on it. it'll only go into its actual max brightness if auto-brightness tells it to (like, bright sunlight conditions) or in HDR video playback.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
I’ve got a small scratch on the front glass of mine within weeks of owning it, it’s a deep scratch that can be felt with my nails.

Treated it the exact same way that I treated my 6, 7 and X and they only had minor scratches on the coating that could only be seen under bright light and couldn’t be felt with my nails.
yea that is what I am reading and the example pictures are frankly worrying. I always hated glass protectors as they bubble up and just feel bad to the touch but I guess you need one with the 11.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Haha I actually had this happen. I have an 11, and out of nowhere I saw a very fine inch long scratch that could only be seen under sunlight, but was enough to annoy me considering I had owned the phone for like 8 days and treated it as well as all my other electronics.

It’s the kind of scratch only I’d notice, but it still annoyed me. I ended up putting a tempered glass protector on the screen, which I’ve never done before, and I absolutely hate it haha. I don’t know what it is about these, but they make the screen so much easier to smudge and attract finger prints, and it’s way harder to wipe clean than glass

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah, I can't put a screen protector on. I'll have to just be mindful. Should only have my 11 Pro Max for a year anyway.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
tempered glass protectors are garbage
I quite like mine. This is the first phone I've ever used one on. The Spigen one I got came with a frame to put it on straight. It's oleophobic (it works) and even feels more slippery than the original screen. I would have finger drag issues while moving apps until I put the glass screen protector on it. Even though I never scratched my previous iPhone screens, after a while the oleophobic coating would wear off. This time, if it wears off, I will just put on a new one with a new glass screen protector.

Maybe you guys are just using the wrong screen protectors?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
tempered glass protectors are garbage
I love mI
I quite like mine. This is the first phone I've ever used one on. The Spigen one I got came with a frame to put it on straight. It's oleophobic (it works) and even feels more slippery than the original screen. I would have finger drag issues while moving apps until I put the glass screen protector on it. Even though I never scratched my previous iPhone screens, after a while the oleophobic coating would wear off. This time, if it wears off, I will just put on a new one with a new glass screen protector.

Maybe you guys are just using the wrong screen protectors?

i agree that the Spigen makes the phone feel better than it did naked, other than the line at the edge. No smudging issues here.

ZeroX

Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I had my X for nearly two years and in that time it only ever had one true scratch, which I'm almost certain came from me accidentally putting it in my pocket with my keys. And it was a minor one that was only visible under direct sunlight. I've just never seen the point in a screen protector, I have my Pro Max in the ultra thin Spigen case just to stop scuffing and put it flat on tables.

Mack

May 30, 2019
Is it me or the ultra-wide lens on iPhone 11 gives noticeably worse pictures than the standard (wide) one?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
What are the common complaints with tempered glass protectors?
For me they're almost impossible to apply satisfactorily and they alter the feel of the glass, though to be fair I haven't tried for some time. I'm looking at my 4 year old 6S+ now and I can't see a blemish (that I can't wipe away) so it'll be disappointing if I need to cover the glass on my new phone when I get it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or the ultra-wide lens on iPhone 11 gives noticeably worse pictures than the standard (wide) one?
Yeah, it's not a very good lens. In perfect lighting it's decent, but even then pictures are super soft. I find myself using it much less than I had hoped for that reason, the picture quality drops it back a solid couple phone generations.

Shame, because the standard lens is giving me the best photos I've ever seen from a phone.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
For me they're almost impossible to apply satisfactorily and they alter the feel of the glass, though to be fair I haven't tried for some time. I'm looking at my 4 year old 6S+ now and I can't see a blemish (that I can't wipe away) so it'll be disappointing if I need to cover the glass on my new phone when I get it.
The Spigen glass protectors fix both of those issues. Dead simple to apply and the Spigen glass feels actually better than the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
The Spigen glass protectors fix both of those issues. Dead simple to apply and the Spigen glass feels actually better than the iPhone 11 Pro Max.
My only complaint is that they don't cover the notch, and they are really made for the XR / XS. The fit is super close but not perfect.

But yeah otherwise they are fantastic to use and apply.

Oct 25, 2017
ultra wide lenses involve a lot more bending of the light to make it look good and in general should involve larger glass, but with the limitations the size of the housing I could see it being significantly softer. Also probably being postprocessed before you see anything to remove excessive warping, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
It is technically. Ultra wide lenses are difficult to make and this one has a smaller aperture compared to the main lens.

That said, I personally use the ultra wide the most since I already have real lenses/cameras that get me close to 26mm and 52mm with much larger sensors and better optics.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't super relevant to this thread, but it's iOS-adjacent and not worth its own thread so I'm gonna ask here. Anyone with an Apple TV 4K, do you notice that video quality on the YouTube app is like, super poor? LOTS of artifacting, lots of crushed blacks, etc. It's not that the stream is low resolution, it says it's giving me 1080p, it's just that it's...ugly.

I tried my LG B6 native YouTube app for comparison, and I shit you not it was so monumentally better, and that's with the Apple TV being connected via ethernet and the TV via wifi.

Regular iTunes/Netflix/whatever content on the Apple TV looks great, so it's not the device or my connection, it's just YouTube.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I got my wife the 11 Pro Max and the screen is really nice. She loves the camera.

But my peeve is that the new iOS seems to be buggy as hell for both of us. She is on the 11 and I have an 8 plus. Even simple stuff like using bluetooth on the car to take a phone call is buggy and doesn't work like it should. We both are getting more crashes than we are used to on iPhones.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Not used to my iPhone really being buggy. Not since like the 3....

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't super relevant to this thread, but it's iOS-adjacent and not worth its own thread so I'm gonna ask here. Anyone with an Apple TV 4K, do you notice that video quality on the YouTube app is like, super poor? LOTS of artifacting, lots of crushed blacks, etc. It's not that the stream is low resolution, it says it's giving me 1080p, it's just that it's...ugly.

I tried my LG B6 native YouTube app for comparison, and I shit you not it was so monumentally better, and that's with the Apple TV being connected via ethernet and the TV via wifi.

Regular iTunes/Netflix/whatever content on the Apple TV looks great, so it's not the device or my connection, it's just YouTube.

I haven’t noticed anything weird about it when I’ve used it. Check to see if some of the videos you watched are 4k on the b6.

My problem with the 4k atv is that netflix UI scrolling is complete ass. It lags so much and starts to skip and stutter the more you scroll through the damn thing it’s just awful to use.

Souzetsu

Oct 25, 2017
California

Yeah the YouTube app for Apple TV is not great. Same thing with the HBO Now app. I use the Samsung TV apps for both and they are way better.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
just received a new (beta) update for iOS. any deets?

" For me, however, the most impressive thing about this update is that we now finally have the ability to alter resolution and frame rate settings directly from the redesigned Camera app on iPhone 11 and 11 Pro. Previously, users had to venture deep into the Settings app in order to adjust such a fundamental setting. "

!!!!!

Samurai G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Denver, CO

" For me, however, the most impressive thing about this update is that we now finally have the ability to alter resolution and frame rate settings directly from the redesigned Camera app on iPhone 11 and 11 Pro. Previously, users had to venture deep into the Settings app in order to adjust such a fundamental setting. "

!!!!!
I noticed the ability to change the res when recording a video but it’s not there for taking a picture.
top right you hit the numbers to change resolution and frame rate. That’s very nice!

I guess this one is where deep fusion is actually applied? Not the one I downloaded about a week ago within the beta iOS.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Man, my roommate got her 11 Pro and it really makes me want to upgrade from my X.
I tested a side by side pic in a very dark room with my cat and it was no comparison. My pic was a dark, blobby mess, and her's was fine and clear.

She got a Zagg tempered glass shield installed at the shop for it and it's actually very slick. I can barely tell anything is on there.
Normally I hate anything on the screen but this one was nice being edge to edge just about. I'll still go naked one mine though.