• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

In other news: A cat saves a baby from falling downstairs.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Probably off-topic but that nursery kinda looks like a dump

Edit: Wait that's a rug?! I thought that was a fucked up concrete floor

Is it?

The reality is that cats just love tackling babies
Just tackling them? Or:
-enforcing the "no running in the house" rule. X2
-"Be on the lookout for snakes. If I were a snake you'd be dead!"
-and possibly most impressive of all, preventing notorius tiny home invader, Roy the Boy Johansen, from making a clean getaway.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, needy people still expecting cats to be their best friend.
That's for needy people and people who want a false sense of authority: Dog owners.
Cats are for people who are able to deal with independent creatures, appreciating exactly how and what they are, as they are.
Cat's don't listen to you. They don't even listen to their name. They don't give a fuck. And needy people can't deal with that.
Cats are awesome. But so are dogs. Cat owners are just way better people than dog-owners.

Haha, sorry, just having some fun with your feelings people.

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
Don't rescind your praise OP, the cat was more or less scolding the kid. Cats will bite softly as a warning.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Yeah, because a baby finding the strength and dexterity to open a window, manhandle a cat and then heave it out a window was meant to be super serious.
its the idea to even find it funny to think of an animal being tossed out a window is gross. Would you find it that funny if some one joked about having a baby thrown out the window. It shows thinking of them as some obnoxious non living thing that is more object than living thing. I’d be fine if we stopped joking about punting whatever small pet we find obnoxious out windows.

it’s interesting we never see these jokes about large dogs. And if we did peiple would be offended. But somehow it’s ok when it is a small animal (and honestly when it’s a small animal that is not seen as a masculine pet to have).

oh, and it “just being a joke” does not mean it’s not gross or bad.

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
its the idea to even find it funny to think of an animal being tossed out a window is gross. Would you find it that funny if some one joked about having a baby thrown out the window. It shows thinking of them as some obnoxious non living thing that is more object than living thing. I’d be fine if we stopped joking about punting whatever small pet we find obnoxious out windows.

it’s interesting we never see these jokes about large dogs. And if we did peiple would be offended. But somehow it’s ok when it is a small animal (and honestly when it’s a small animal that is not seen as a masculine pet to have).

The image of a cat opening a window and throwing a baby it didn’t like out of it is indeed funny to me.

RedSparrows

Feb 22, 2019
I'm pretty sure I find the idea of a cat throwing a baby out a window or vice versa pretty fucking funny in the right context, but that doesn't mean I'd want to to do it or see it for real. Obviously. Almost like black humour is a thing. Oh and chuck some dogs out too, I don't care.

Cats are ace.

Sep 28, 2018

Sad fate for the baby. I hope it's okay.
As far as I am aware Limmy is not an expert in cat behaviour or phycology. .. I don't know why so many people are prepared to take his word as gospel.

I couldn't say for sure if this particular cat really intended to save that baby, but intentional or not, it did. Regardless, there is enough evidence now that cats have the emotional intelligence to save humans. Where's the video of that cat risking its life to saving the baby from an attacking dog that would've surely killed the baby and perhaps the cat.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Remember when Tommy the Cat called 911?

Hayvic

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inappropriate joke using misogynistic terminology
If humans are Stacies then cats are Chads and dogs are incels. Agree / disagree?

Oct 25, 2017
I am dying at people taking Limmy seriously.

It just proves the inferior intelligence and lack of a sense of humour amongst those poor bastards that don't love kitties.

GayAnimeDad

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Everyone who says the cat was just playing have clearly never seen an actual cat play in their lives. So many blind cat haters ITT. Pathetic.
Good, you took it as it was intended. If threads like this one have to be yet another "I'm more woke than you" proving ground, we're all doomed.
Did you miss the people posting about how gross and privileged the posters who said the house looked dirty are? It’s already there.

On a scale from 450 to 500, how many angry letters have you written Hanna-Barbera over T*m and J*rry?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Hmm... I don’t know. Why would the cat even know that stairs are dangerous for babies unless it happens to see a bunch of them tumble down from time to time? It just sounds like a very complex thought for a cat.

Do cats care about humans? No doubt. Would some cats jump to save us from danger? Sure. Did this one? Ehh

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread taking Limmy’s tweets seriously. Wut.

He’s very clearly taking the piss.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People on Era who go out of their way to hate on animals are weird and broken inside. I'm not sure what response they want to get with their nonsense.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I've been around cats for over 30 years. I know what their body language says and means. The first "attack" is not playing. Three reasons, one if the cat was playing it would have attacked when the baby turns it's back to the cat or it would have stalked the baby, it doesn't, it even turns and looks away for a few seconds. Cats big and small have a natural instinct to attack their "prey" when they turn their backs to them and it's almost instantaneous. Two the cat shows no sign of playfulness during the "first attack" it's clearly upset with the child and displays aggression to get the child to back off. Three, it stays put until the child turns around and goes into the other direction. It also shows a sense of urgency in its run, when a cat is playing they run just as fast but the position of its shoulders and the way it wastes little movement to get to the child shows a life or death urgency. As for the other "attacks" afterwards it shows behavior more in tune with playfulness that you're mistaking for in the first "attack". I do think you two are being unfair. If this was a dog you'd have no problem calling it a hero. Cats are mammals too and have paternal instincts just as much as a dog. That's all that's happening, instincts to protect the young.
This post should be threadmarked and people should read it before commenting.

(I love both Dogs and Cats but I am more of a Cat person. <3 Kitties)

MPrice

Oct 18, 2019
Hmm... I don’t know. Why would the cat even know that stairs are dangerous for babies unless it happens to see a bunch of them tumble down from time to time? It just sounds like a very complex thought for a cat.

Do cats care about humans? No doubt. Would some cats jump to save us from danger? Sure. Did this one? Ehh
Not complex at all. The cat knows that the baby is clearly a baby and not strong enough to walk. Animals can read movement alot better than we can. The cat itself has probably been up and down those stairs hundreds of times. There's a reason the cat initially went for the babys nape like it would a kitten.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First part of the video, with the cat unintentionally saving the baby: hero, apparently
Last few seconds when the cat attacks again: asshole

THEVOID

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, needy people still expecting cats to be their best friend.
That's for needy people and people who want a false sense of authority: Dog owners.
Cats are for people who are able to deal with independent creatures, appreciating exactly how and what they are, as they are.
Cat's don't listen to you. They don't even listen to their name. They don't give a fuck. And needy people can't deal with that.
Cats are awesome. But so are dogs. Cat owners are just way better people than dog-owners.

Haha, sorry, just having some fun with your feelings people.
I’m both and both animals are awesome. Never owned a Cat until 5 months ago. The little black void cracks me up daily. Totally different then a dog and just as cool AF. Huge personalities.

grandjedi

Oct 25, 2017
Just like how humans have a hard time ignoring meowing because of how it mimics an infants sounds, cats (particularly female) will react to infants and be more protective. Many mammals are basically biologically pre-programmed to react to the high pitch sounds of infants, regardless of species. So it's not surprising that a cat would protectively try to guide an infant to safety, just like she would with her own kittens.

Now if it is was an adult doing that shit... RIP