• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

In other news: A cat saves a baby from falling downstairs.

Oct 26, 2017
why was the baby left unattended crawling around by a set of treacherous stairs with no baby gate but also under the care of someone so paranoid they were filming every moment?

nonetheless praise cats
Just like in Schrodinger's thought experiment, the cat is only certain to be alive - and hence capable of looking after the baby - if it's being watched.

Technically it could also be dead but let's not split hairs.

SofNascimento

Oct 28, 2017
My cat flicks its tail when playing all the time. I think there is a very real chance this was just dumb luck. It saved the kid nonetheless, so whatever the case, I don't think it matters much.
Something like this I figure. To assume the cat actually meant to save the baby from death we would have to suppose it was aware that the baby would fall from the stairs, as opposed to simply crawling down. Second that it would actually be hurt by it, as a cat falling down those stairs (or a dog) wouldn't be hurt. For us those two are obvious, but transporting those ideas for a cat's head is not without its flaws. Whatever was going inside its head, it was probably much more basic, and I don't think it's impossible some protective instincts were going on.

It's like that video of a cat perfoming "CPR" on another.

ChryZ

Oct 26, 2017
The cat is just protecting the future can opener so that future cans can be opened.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
1. I love cats
2. Cats are totally jerks
3. Even jerks have parental instincts telling them not to let your kitten/baby hurl itself into a pit. Cats are jerks, not psychopaths.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Something like this I figure. To assume the cat actually meant to save the baby from death we would have to suppose it was aware that the baby would fall from the stairs, as opposed to simply crawling down. Second that it would actually be hurt by it, as a cat falling down those stairs (or a dog) wouldn't be hurt. For us those two are obvious, but transporting those ideas for a cat's head is not without its flaws. Whatever was going inside its head, it was probably much more basic, and I don't think it's impossible some protective instincts were going on.

Or it's parental instinct kicked in. A kitten would have been hurt falling down those stairs. It doesn't need to be "thinking" anything. All we're saying is it protected out of instinct not some proof it has insane intelligence. (They are smart though) I've been around cats my entire life, I know all their body language, sounds, and behaviors. All I'll say is that was not playing. It was trying to stop the baby from going down those stairs.

MPrice

Oct 18, 2019

As someone who grew up living with my grandma the cat lady(outdoors though) they know far more about us than we do them. Almost all the cats would surround my granddad and give sad purrs before he suddenly passed, which would almost never ever happen outside of like feeding time.They know when women are pregnant to.

I think other mammals in general do.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
OP why did you even make this thread when you hate cats? It's super fucking annoying to see this prevailing cat hatred on this site in threads like these. It's literal low grade trolling.

Cat wasn't playing when standing in front of baby and the stairs. Cat is playing later. Straight up.

Jun 20, 2019
Our cat was 10 years old when we had our first kid. She didn’t pay any attention to the baby, generally just ignored her

... EXCEPT when the baby was crying in another room and the cat thought we couldn’t hear or weren’t responding. Then she would get agitated, find us in the house, use her loudest, angriest voice, claw at us, and generally become a total asshole until we helped the baby. It was very, very upsetting to her that the baby was crying and we weren’t helping.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Firstly garbage OP bashing cats. Secondly so many posts in here reek of privilege holy shit.
Well they have a security camera, so you could argue a baby gate would be more beneficial and cheaper. And closing the door leading to deadly tile steps is free.

But being a parent is hard. Mistakes happen. The cat was and is amazing, but you can't rely on supercat always showing out. I just hope the parent(s) learns from this scenario and takes the proper precautions going froward.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Seems like the cat was just playing. Looks like it was just a coincidence. At the beginning the cat and the baby are playing then the baby crawls away. The cat wants to continue and pounces. I doubt it did anything to prevent anything, it just wanted to be amused for a bit longer. Fucking cats.
Man, cat haters will try to twist anything in order to never give cats any good credit. Seriously. This is why you hate cats... you come up with reasons to hate them even, it's more on you than the cats.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The cat saved the baby. Case closed. Doesn't matter what it looked like, it saved the kid. What I want to know is how the baby got out. The mother says that's the whole reason she watched the video in the first place. She should probably be looking into a better crib. (I assume she is now)

umop 3pisdn

Oct 27, 2017
I’m no cat psychologist or behaviourist but that looks nothing like cat play behaviour to me. I’m pretty sure it was trying to protect that kid.

Murdock

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
U people are fucking delusional if u think a cat gives a flying fuck about u. A dog will stay by there owners side even after death. A cat will start eating the mother fucker.

In the video the cat is stalking the kid. Just so happens that it managed to get in front of it. Now yall think cats are superman or some bullshit

taahahmed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
U people are fucking delusional if u think a cat gives a flying fuck about u. A dog will stay by there owners side even after death. A cat will start eating the mother fucker.

In the video the cat is stalking the kid. Just so happens that it managed to get in front of it. Now yall think cats are superman or some bullshit
Who hurt you

Soj

Oct 27, 2017

A dog will start eating a dead owner too...

Like, right away.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the first replies in that tweet is a dog knocking a kid off a bike lol.

AZ Greg

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the living condition insults in here are something else. I guess ERA only cares about a righteous, help the less fortunate position if it means erasing your college loans...

Miles X

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, definitely don't have the finesse to be an awesome cat owner.

Oct 28, 2017

I know for a fact that a dog will eat it's owner after death and I have the local news story to prove it

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
That is an amazing video.

And OP, your assumptions about about cats are as common among dog lovers as they are incorrect. They’re not assholes, they are amazing pets if treated properly. Just like dogs.

edit: lol at people trying to paint the cat as evil ITT
Nah actual research is now trending towards confirming cats are self-centered which we equivocate with being an asshole 9 times out of 10.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
My cat likes to come up to me and rub his ear against my hand. This is how I know Mr. Peaches wants me to rub his ear. He will usually lay on my lap and purr after this. He's a good boy.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I love cats. I do. More than any other animal humans are in contact with. I love them because they do not give a fuck. They know the sound of their own name and choose to ignore you. They come to you for pets because they want the heat from your body or want you to get them food. They domesticated themselves because it was beneficial for them to do so. Applying human emotions and feelings to them does them a disservice.

Anthropomorphizing animals is dumb and I hate it. Ok, I don't hate it, I've answered a cat's meow with a baby kissy reply or said 'ah yeah I see good point'. My family gives them human names. I love Fred, Jimmy, Kate, Jill and Phoebe, to name only a few of our cats more than most humans but they do not have human interests at heart. If that cat saved that child from tumbling downstairs for altruistic child saving reasons then I'll eat my hat. Cute kitty though.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Probably off-topic but that nursery kinda looks like a dump

Edit: Wait that's a rug?! I thought that was a fucked up concrete floor

Is it?

The reality is that cats just love tackling babies
That's just how cats play and they just tend to see babies are playing partners. It's not them being assholes, it's them thinking the baby will respond positively.

That's also something that will only happen if the cat wasn't taught properly how to behave near a baby. I've spent every days of the 35 years of my life surrounded by cats. With babies around and whatnot. I've never seen any cat doing this kind of things to any baby. And would that happen, i doubt it would happen more than twice before said cat would register that's a big "no".

(and babies being babies, it might also just be a case of retribution against all the times the baby pulled the cat's tail, hair or mustache, cat's have a very good memory and can hold grudges very easily)

Aizō

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ほぼ真ん中の方
I wonder why so many people feel the need to choose cat or dog and then dislike the other. I love both (my avatar yesterday was a dog, in case that's used against me) and always have. I've had friends or family members try to butt in when someone asks if I'm a cat or a dog person and make a claim for me, as if it's literally impossible to love both the same.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Probably off-topic but that nursery kinda looks like a dump

Edit: Wait that's a rug?! I thought that was a fucked up concrete floor

Is it?

The reality is that cats just love tackling babies
That giant black cat told him to stay down after the tackle and was subsequently flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
I would watch a game show titled ‘Cats vs Babies’. They would compete in various events, some where the cats have the advantage - like scaling a 6ft wall, and others the baby would have the advantage - like sorting differently shaped blocks into appropriately shaped holes.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
To assume the cat actually meant to save the baby from death we would have to suppose it was aware that the baby would fall from the stairs, as opposed to simply crawling down.
There is no reason to assume the cat meant to specifically save the baby from death, rather it was protecting it from perceived danger. We assume this, because we see the same behavior in mother cats when protecting their kittens.

Second that it would actually be hurt by it, as a cat falling down those stairs (or a dog) wouldn't be hurt.
A cat or dog could absolutely hurt themselves falling down stairs. Any large enough creature could potentially be hurt from a fall, and will try to stop itself from falling.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Interesting that despite the longer threadmarked video that clearly shows the cat tackling the baby no matter which direction it wanted to go, people are ignoring it and assigning noble intent to the cat

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Cats definitely care about their owners. I lived with a cat for half my life and can tell you that he cared how i was feeling. That cat saw the stairs as danger and body blocked the baby from tumbling down. The second "attack" was probably just a reprimand.