• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

In other news: A cat saves a baby from falling downstairs.

Oct 25, 2017

bryanee

Oct 27, 2017
Nice save by the cat.

My cat is also a great cat. She always seems to know when I'm having a tough day with my depression and wont leave my side if I am indeed having a shit time. Little bugger.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
thats a pretty dope ass cat although seriously WTF at having a baby in that death trap house. i'm pretty sure i'd die from falling down those stairs if i lived there

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, I've lived with cats my entire life. If the cat was playing it would have pounced as soon as the kid turned its back and crawled away. It waited awhile and even looks away for a few seconds. You can see the urgency in its running to the kid. That's not playful behavior.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Cats are assholes and evil and I love them.

They also recognise and like people, and also get that babies are big stupid kittens who shouldn't be allowed to randomly die. They may whack a baby in the face for pulling on their tail, but then they'll bugger off, not eat the baby.

Cats really are wonderful creatures that have a bad reputation from strangers approaching them with their hands out as though they were dogs.
Eh, gotta let them have a sniff sometimes.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Nice save by the cat.

My cat is also a great cat. She always seems to know when I'm having a tough day with my depression and wont leave my side if I am indeed having a shit time. Little bugger.

Cats totally care.

My last cat Larry once refused to leave my side when I was the sickest I've ever been, and he would never normally behave like that. He preferred generally to keep his distance, but if you weren't well for whatever reason, he would just lie next to you purring.

kittens

Oct 27, 2017
Smart and attentive cat.

it looks like the it's is trying to grab the baby by the scruff of their neck, which works well on cat babies and not so well on human babies lol

DavidDesu

Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
This is amazing. I love stuff like this. It's really quite depressing when you realise most living things have the capacity to care for other beings and are clever enough to understand the way this cat definitely seems to here. They're really not as dumb as we think, yet we eat so many animals capable of this (and all the rest). I'm on day three of becoming a vegetarian (sorry but CHEESE) and videos like this will help my resolve next time I consider eating meat.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
Cats that live in colonies will leave their kittens with a babysitter so they can go eat, often another female cat who is either a sibling to the mother. There is a natural tendency for adult cats to look after kittens...
Or in this case a human baby.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
There was this one cat that my dad's cat had around the same time I was born. It and I were inseparable, it used to be around me all the time and I would play with it a lot. There was a story my dad told me of this one time I was about to fall it actually came to grab and hold me a bit like in this video I presume (as I don't remember it).

I recall hearing that mammals are kinda' programmed to find other mammal babies cute and to be protected, like how we as humans find puppies, kittens and other baby mammals cute, other mammals can also find other types of mammal babies cute, including human babies. I'm pretty certain from that video that the cat had the protective "must protect baby" instinct with that baby.
One of my friends’ cats has a similar bond with their daughter.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty sure the cat isn't "playing". Seems is stressed and agitated because it's flicking its tail. There was a good chance the baby could have overpowered the cat with its weight and both of them could have tumbled down the stairs. Cat was probably fearing for its own life as well and is gaurding the stairs warily.

It was probably stressed in the first place seeing the baby out of the crib and wandering around. Hence the swatting at him when baby tried to play.

Arcade55

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the full video shows the cat doing the same thing afterwards when the baby tries to crawl back towards the crib.

The cat was just playing he wasn't intentionally trying to save anything heh.

Still, thank god it was their playing or that baby would have been hurt.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty sure the cat isn't "playing". Seems is stressed and agitated because it's flicking its tail. There was a good chance the baby could have overpowered the cat with its weight and both of them could have tumbled down the stairs. Cat was probably fearing for its own life as well and is gaurding the stairs warily.

It was probably stressed in the first place seeing the baby out of the crib and wandering around. Hence the swatting at him when baby tried to play.
My cat flicks its tail when playing all the time. I think there is a very real chance this was just dumb luck. It saved the kid nonetheless, so whatever the case, I don't think it matters much.

Dec

Oct 26, 2017
Cats totally care.

My last cat Larry once refused to leave my side when I was the sickest I've ever been, and he would never normally behave like that. He preferred generally to keep his distance, but if you weren't well for whatever reason, he would just lie next to you purring.
your cat might be a craker

edit: i realized this reference is probably not going to hit

MPrice

Oct 18, 2019
I mean the cat literally hits him with the , he wasn't playing in that moment. The mini tackle seemed to be completely different. You can see the cat try to pick the baby up by its neck at first, thats exactly how they handle their kittens.

Last edited: