I think we should not expect the PS5 to dominate the market like the PS4 did

lemmykoopah

Oct 29, 2017
Gamepass, catching up on Xbox exclusives and trying out the games from the new MS studios has me decided to buy the Scarlett next generation after not having owned an Xbox since the 360. HOWEVER I'm still going to buy a PS5 down the line 100% sure.

Puffy

Dec 15, 2017
With the prevalence of digital spending, ecosystems and backwards compatability, I expect Sony to dominate again. Microsoft chose the wrong generation to fuck up. Would explain the 1 dollar gamepass subscriptions.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
With the prevalence of digital spending, ecosystems and backwards compatability, I expect Sony to dominate again. Microsoft chose the wrong generation to fuck up. Would explain the 1 dollar gamepass subscriptions.
Yep, they even started to gain good market share in europe due to the 1 year advance with the 360, and lost all that goodwill stupidly. Like you said, that was the wrong generation to fuck up. And the fact that the PS3 managed to get even in sales despite the disastrous state shows how incredibly strong the Playstation brand is worldwide despite what many are saying.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It would be foolish to assume a console's popularity two generations I'm a row when history tells us to do just the opposite.

Nobody knows how next gen is going to play out.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yea the fact PS4 outsold the Switch last year was nuts. People keep forgetting the PS4 is in its final year and Switch is still young and in its prime. At this time in a console’s lifespan is when sales usually fall off a cliff and yet the PS4 is still going strong even if its sales are slowing down. Just shows how dominant the system is if anything. The fact Sony is still supporting it with several AAA releases towards the end of its life is still outstanding too, most consoles lose1st party support completely at this point in their lives.

I’d argue it’s this traditionally long support that Sony gives their consoles that are the key to their dominance in some ways. Nintendo and MS don’t traditionally support their consoles for as long as Sony does and I think that could be hurting them in the long run especially MS. Strong support towards the end of the PS3’s life is partially what set the stage for Sony’s huge comeback at the beginning of this gen. MS all but abandoned the 360 towards the end of last gen and Nintendo also stopped supporting the Wii in a meaningful way towards the end of its life too while PS3 was getting games like TLOU, let’s hope Nintendo doesn’t abandon the Switch towards the end of its life too (I don’t think they will).
You can add that PS4 still $299which is crazy 6 years into this gen.

Oct 31, 2017
You can add that PS4 still $299which is crazy 6 years into this gen.
Oh yea, it’s insane the PS4 Slim is still $299 more than 6 years after launching, I forgot that lol. The console is going to have even more legs once Sony hits that $199 sweet spot and below. It’s an incredibly successful generation for Sony any way you look at it, and the PS4 has absolutely dominated it.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
Nintendo and Sony are almost different markets.

And Xbox is already losing the leak wars...

And then there are Sony's exclusives, as always.

Lothars

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would be foolish to assume a console's popularity two generations I'm a row when history tells us to do just the opposite.

Well there's no reason to believe Sony is going to drop the ball on the PS5 from everything we have heard so far and from how they handled the PS4. The main unknown is xbox but from what we have seen from them in the last few years I don't know if that's really going to be enough to convince some to buy a Scarlett.

Marble

Nov 27, 2017

Everybody knows how it will play out with Sony making PS5 backwards compatible with one of the best selling console of all time. PS5 will sell like hotcakes. Giving more than 100 million people the opportunity to have direct access to their complete PS4 library, will make next gen play out pretty much the same as this gen. If they also push PS Now more to be more comparible to Stadia and Gamepass, that's all extra. Same goes for all their new exclusive next gen games. Their exclusive studio output will be superior for years to come.

Dachhase

Coward
Oct 26, 2017

sony dominated with the ps1, ps2 and ps4. they royally screwed up everything with 3 and still managed to tie the 360 despite being way more expensive and launching a year later. i think we can safely assume that they will do fine.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
I think MS has done a lot of great things and are positioning X-Box to def. be in the mind share of the gaming sphere a lot more now opposed to previous years but I think PlayStation still has such a grip on that and don't see it letting up any time soon.

I mean MS has the best services but PS has the software locked down 100%...and the hardware from all the rumors will pretty much be a wash.

I can see X-Box making up a lot of ground this gen but I still think PS "wins" it in the end...

feelthesurge

Nov 15, 2017
I think they are in a good position to dominate, I just hope they don't settle with their win and keep going as is. I want them to innovate and build upon their current success rather than let Microsoft make all the new moves. I'm always down for a close race!

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I like what Sony and Playstation have done over the years, but I just want the kinds of games I like, on the console I own, at an appropriate level of performance. Domination isn't really my concern.

Thatguy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Switch is a portable console that will live most of its life at $200. It's not really in competition with PS5. It's more in competition with your phone. It came out in 2017, 3 years before PS5. Its never getting the 3rd party biggest of budget titles ever. To me the "domination" idea really only implies to direct competition in the highest end Xbox.

Lets define "domination" in gamers terms: the most high budget titles. This is roughly equivalent to the amount of highest quality hours, assuming big budget titles generally provide high entertainment. NOT number of consoles sold. NOT number of games. Mobile would be dominant if those numbers are whats important.

Next gen PS5 has PS4 BC. This is absolutely huge in encouraging people to upgrade. Sony has the strongest stable of developers, by far. The big budget 3rd party titles will be there on PS5. And we have reason to believe that Sony is absolutely laser focused on power superiority. We dont know how much they will subsidize the price.

Sony is set up to dominate. The only way they don't is if they come in too high on price.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
I think you're overthinking it. lol

Essentially the only time m/s sold about the same was when;

1) They had a year head start
2) They had a tonne of exclusives
3) They had better online/features for the first few years
4) PS3 was ultra expensive at launch
5) PS3 had no decent exclusives for the first couple years
6) There's probably more, but you get my point

That was when (launches aligned) Sony sold consoles quicker...even with the above car-crash launch!

So yeah, this coming gen the above is not happening - and we have BC so all those digital games people bought will only work in the same ecosystem.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the use of the word dominate. The PS5 is likely to have the largest market share when next gen hits its 5 year mark, but it probably won't sell as much by that point as the PS4 did (around 90 Million), Xbnext should sell more than the XB1 had (~35 Million), and the Switch successor will hit the market in the second or third year, not the 4th like this Switch did, so it should sell more as well.

I think we should expect a 80, 50, 50 (in Millions) market share for the big 3 by holiday 2025. Though the breakdown might happen a bit more like I said previously, since I believe there won't be much of a difference between Xbox and Playstation, and Xbox offers the better services, so a 70, 60, 50 split might happen
The difference between Xbox and Playstation is this gen. All that goodwill that MS had with the 360, they just pissed it away. For me at least it's now not enough if the next Xbox is even on par with PS5, and even that's a pretty damn big if. No, for me to even care about the next Xbox after what they did this gen, they need to go above and beyond, and deliver something truly special. And I just don't see that happening. All signs point to Nextbox being a half-hearted kinda there effort, combined with MS's continued push for digital and the removal of game ownership.

The expectation right now is that that PS5/Nextbox split will stay the same as in this gen. For now at least I've seen nothing that should alter that expectation.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is a portable console that will live most of its life at $200. It's not really in competition with PS5. It's more in competition with your phone. It came out in 2017, 3 years before PS5. Its never getting the 3rd party biggest of budget titles ever. To me the "domination" idea really only implies to direct competition in the highest end Xbox.

Lets define "domination" in gamers terms: the most high budget titles. This is roughly equivalent to the amount of highest quality hours, assuming big budget titles generally provide high entertainment. NOT number of consoles sold. NOT number of games. Mobile would be dominant if those numbers are whats important.
You remind me of those guys who don't want to acknowledge Wii as having won against PS3/360 because the goalpost got moved from most hardware sold to "Who had the better software library" which is very subjective...

DrDeckard

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Pre-gen threads /posts are always fun to read.
Definitely, I cant wait until sony and ms start actually pitching the consoles to see where the actual customers start to sway.

Man, this gen was crazy it was basically unanimous ps4. Even I completely swayed into fuck ms category and didn't buy a one for 12 months.

risq_au

Oct 11, 2018
I think Sony has it in the bag for next gen. Microsoft needs to prove itself with exclusives next gen and then push hard the following generation to take the lead.

It would be cool if Microsoft had a partnership with Nintendo and their next Xbox became the opposite of the "Switch Lite" ie. high powered dedicated home console to play Switch games.

DrDeckard

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I got a One X solely because it is the best hardware for multiplats.
Yup. I played 3rd party on ps4 for a year and once I'd done with infamous I was like....these exclusives are terrible (killzone.....what else was out first year on ps4?)

I really wanted to try forza, titanfall, dead rising 3 and even ryse. Its then that I realised all this resolution hype was bullshit and I personally preferred ms offering of exclusives earlier in the consoles lifecycle.

If ms has the power advantage they will have the opportunity to secure the customers that want the most power...but deep down there will be a selection of people that know it's about games.

MysticGon

Oct 31, 2017
MS gonna bring the heat but even though their presence is shrinking there Sony still has the trust and loyalty of Japanese publishers.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the only way Sony fuck up is delaying the console by a year in America/Japan and 18 months in Europe, get the messaging wrong, get the price wrong, get hardly no good games for a couple of years and make it difficult to develop for.

People love to exaggerate MS dropping the ball with messaging at the beginning of the generation, it was nothing compared to the previous generation, nothing. As long as Sony keep up the high standard of games they've been making then it will be a similar outcome.

DuoRox

Oct 28, 2017
Just went into a commercial gameshop in Belgium. They have currently 300 pre-orders for ps5 and 1 for Scarlet. I ordered the Scarlet..

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
This. Sony was thought to be out of the industry by now while Xbox had everything going for it.

Sony just keeps doing what they are best at. Next-gen is going to be amazing.
Only idiots thought that. How do you look at PS3 sales matching Xbox 360 by the end of the generation with 1 less year on the market and a higher price tag throughout the generation and think "yea, Sony will be out of the market soon."

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I do think previous non contenders ( mainly the big mobile stores ) to the console space will take a bigger share this go round,
but I still think Sony will do well.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I think the PS5 will definitely have an advantage with PSN behind it, and BC day one. However, Xbox have been doing a lot of work to better their worldwide distribution, and don't have the localisation millstone around their neck that was Kinect, at launch. At the very least, they will have a decent launch, avoiding stupid marketing bunk and catastrophe memes.

Hoo-doo

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Only idiots thought that. How do you look at PS3 sales matching Xbox 360 by the end of the generation with 1 less year on the market and a higher price tag throughout the generation and think "yea, Sony will be out of the market soon."
Then this entire board is full of idiots, because that was the prevailing belief. Sony struggling financially and Xbox coming in for the kill.

Yeah. Fun times.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Then this entire board is full of idiots, because that was the prevailing belief. Sony struggling financially and Xbox coming in for the kill.

Yeah. Fun times.
Yea, I read the infamous thread years later and it made no sense to me how people were coming to those conclusions. I joined the "other" place sometime later so I never participated in that thread but it was funny to read.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Shy of a big misstep by other console manufacturers, it's safe to assume their market share will be lower than current-gen. I doubt they'll be particularly heartbroken about it, as they have a solid market behind them every time they release competent hardware.

And there were no assumptions about Sony dominating coming into current gen. It was only as the scope of the platform/communication issues Xbox was having and clarity with how DoA the Wii U truly was that it came into focus. They thrived by being conservative (in a good way), and I think that's a strength of their approach.

Oct 31, 2017

Yeah. Fun times.
Yup. I was posting in the other place back then and I couldn't believe in the nonsense I saw in that infamous next-gen prediction thread. The gaming media was also backing that erroneous belief back then too. I'm seeing the same thing sort of happen again this gen, history repeating itself. People still thinking that Sony got to where they were now because of luck and that it's only a matter of time before they lose everything to MS.

People are casually ignoring the PS1 and PS2 gen where they sold nearly 260 million consoles with strong competition from MS and Nintendo, and choosing to focus on the PS3 gen which was an anomaly for them. The way I see it, it's kinda silly not to expect them to dominate again. The only way I see them not dominating is if they royally fuck things up for themselves again like they did with the PS3. If they don't have any mishaps with the PS5, along with the momentum they have from coming from this very successful gen, they will most likely dominate again.

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I got a One X solely because it is the best hardware for multiplats.
XBX sales aren't exactly setting the charts on fire. A lot of people will settle for near-parity at $100 cheaper and the exclusives that PS4 gives them, and sometimes they'll still get the better version like KH3 in spite of the price difference.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
Yea, I read the infamous thread years later and it made no sense to me how people were coming to those conclusions. I joined the "other" place sometime later so I never participated in that thread but it was funny to read.
i wish you and some more of your kind would have been there at the time, so the discussion would have been far more balanced and with a lot more of foresight. everyone in that thread seemed to be awfully incompetent. i wasn't able to participate as i had no posting rights yet (or i was too stupid to look up my spam folder where the login mail waited for weeks already), but of course i would have told them that the ps4 would clearly outsell the xbox, even on us territory.
sadly, people did what they always do when the future is as vague, incoherent and beyond our comprehension capabilities as a greenberg pr statement: they extrapolate. last gen sony was great, this gen they were meh, so next gen they will fail, as microsoft will, consequently, build up from the 360 success. also, microsoft had the endless warchest, a wet phantasy that is still used concerning studio aquisitions, gamepass profitability and whatever. or, as someone in middle-upper management told me on a cigarette break: "microsoft will wipe the floor with sony." i know people, it's phantastic, even if it was a german.