I think Pokemon Sword/Shield has the worst story I have ever played through (SPOILERS)

milkyway

May 17, 2018
It's actually a pretty special story. Like how did someone come up with such utter nonsense? How did it get approved? So many questions, so few answers. And unfortunately I'm not a fan of the game as a whole either but it's still like a 6/10 for me (for context just about every other game has been like 7.5+).

Oct 26, 2017
Ah the story of a group of people so convinced that awakening a large fire god to make more land who then immediately realize how dumb they are is actually extremely compelling pokemon story as opposed to a the story of kids growing up under and out of the shadow of their immediate family members.
why is the argument always “look over there, it’s crap!” Instead or addressing how poor SwSh’s story is?

Hop is the worst because he insists on saying idiotic shit to you in battle where you can't skip it. "So you figured out super effective hits!" in the final fight before the champion. Gamefreak really thinks kids are fucking morons.
This is why I can't deal with people trying to defend Hop. He's not the worst rival ever but he's a mish mash of terrible traits that all the worst rivals and friends have throughout the series. I don't understand why I have like a dozen battles with him throughout the game while Marnie only has two before the league tournament.

NabiscoFelt

Aug 15, 2019
Rose's plan is so godamn incoherent it's funny. Like it's even asked to him in the story, and he still has no response to the whole "I must solve this problem a thousand years in the future - today, and only today!"

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how low budget the campaign felt for a JRPG. I don't understand how that happens with Pokemon of all things, but here we are. Maybe they'll be bold enough to drop it. Once you enter the territory of "tell, don't show" for most of your story, it's obvious you're not up to it or just aren't interested in doing it well.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how low budget the campaign felt for a JRPG. I don't understand how that happens with Pokemon of all things, but here we are. Maybe they'll be bold enough to drop it. Once you enter the territory of "tell, don't show" for most of your story, it's obvious you're not up to it or just aren't interested in doing it well.
Pokemon has never been particularly up there in regards to JRPG campaigns, even on their respective systems. but SS feels the most "I really don't want to be considered an RPG" out of all the pokemon games

RochHoch

May 22, 2018
I would honestly love to see Giga Sword and Shield or whatever try to pick up the scraps and make an actual coherent story out of this. I really liked the whole sports theme and the cast wasn't bad, far better than X&Y's, they just squandered every drop of potential it had.

Now that I think about it, that's what the Pokemon Adventures arc for Sword and Shield will do, it should be interesting.

Jul 28, 2019
then why put forth any effort at all? at least then they can avoid the criticism by not being there. but they did something and it's bad
Sure, and unfortunately Nintendo games trying to tell stories and failing has been a trend this generation (look at Breath of the Wild too). Like I said, I'm not defending the story, because it's pretty nonsensical. I just don't think it's the worst story ever, because I reserve that for a game that tries to tell a story, puts an emphasis on it, and then also fails at it.
Sword and Shield have the decency to keep things out of the way, if nothing else.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend hasn’t played Pokemon in years and isn’t much of a story guy in general. Even he out of the blue was like “I love Pokémon, the story is so bad though”.

Mondai

Dec 8, 2018
The game is fine , the story has never been the main focus of these games (at least for me). Gameplay is great , I’m glad there are only 400 Pokémon and there’s so many quality of life improvements that playing older Pokémon games is now a little harder.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree.

The story is pretty bad and rushed, but it's also so de-emphasized it doesn't matter.
You're introduced to the legendary within the first 15-20 mins of the game, part of the reason for you quest (give to you by Sonia) is to find out about the main historical event, and you have a cutscene entering the first 4 gym towns and upon leaving them. How is the story de-emphasized?

The number of excuses made to do everything, but admit the story is bad and the writing was bad on top of that is staggering

Jul 28, 2019
You're introduced to the legendary within the first 15-20 mins of the game, part of the reason for you quest (give to you by Sonia) is to find out about the main historical event, and you have a cutscene entering the first 4 gym towns and upon leaving them. How is the story de-emphasized?

The number of excuses made to do everything, but admit the story is bad and the writing was bad on top of that is staggering
What exactly are you talking about? Where have I made an excuse? I flat out said, in the post you quoted (and then again in the next two posts I made in the thread) that the story is stupid shit and bad. Like, I have literally said that. You're not just putting words in my mouth, you are literally reading the opposite of what I am saying.

All I've said is that the story stays out of my way so it didn't impinge upon my enjoyment with the rest of the game, but apparently you are so offended that someone might like this game you have to make shit up.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Screw DLC, make a quick third version with all of the Pokemon/ Megas/Zmoves and force the ones defending this mess to spend another $60 to get the complete Gen 8 experience.

Feb 15, 2019
Hop is the worst because he insists on saying idiotic shit to you in battle where you can't skip it. "So you figured out super effective hits!" in the final fight before the champion. Gamefreak really thinks kids are fucking morons.
Man that reminds me of one of the most disappointing battles in the entire game. The match with Raihan in the league thingy (not the 2v2 gym challenge). All that moron did was throw out a pokemon, do a weather move as he then proceeded to ask how I will deal with this while he basically got 2shot because his pokemon were mostly snails and he spend his first turn on the weather move so he literally didn't do anything.

Moron literally started with a Torkoal with Drought and then switched in pokemon that used Rain Dance and after that a mon that used Sandstorm.

Feb 20, 2019
I agree, it felt really rushed. You don't even hear more about the 1000 years ahead crisis, Eternatus, and even the whole backstory of Zacian and Zamazenta. Boom, here's some skull-10 meters of height poisonous dragon with extremely devastating powers that you never heard about before.
And then Leon tries to catch it with a fucking pokeball. Come on, he deserved to get friendzoned by Sonia (lol)

Jul 28, 2019
I agree, it felt really rushed. You don't even hear more about the 1000 years ahead crisis, Eternatus, and even the whole backstory of Zacian and Zamazenta. Boom, here's some skull-10 meters of height poisonous dragon with extremely devastating powers that you never heard about before.
And then Leon tries to catch it with a fucking pokeball. Come on, he deserved to get friendzoned by Sonia (lol)
I really wish we were told more about how Eternatus relates to the two wolves.
It seems like there is so much interesting lore there that never gets explored.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, its downright horrible, no denying that.

People who say "but yeah its Pokémon" just need to take a quick look at gen 5 and 7, while nothing too special, was leaps and bounds better than what we had now.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would be bearable if Hop would leave me the fuck alone and let me play the game.

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly are you talking about? Where have I made an excuse? I flat out said, in the post you quoted (and then again in the next two posts I made in the thread) that the story is stupid shit and bad. Like, I have literally said that. You're not just putting words in my mouth, you are literally reading the opposite of what I am saying.

All I've said is that the story stays out of my way so it didn't impinge upon my enjoyment with the rest of the game, but apparently you are so offended that someone might like this game you have to make shit up.
You said the story was "de-emphasized" when it's just as prevalent as it is in previous games, just more terribly paced and front and back loaded. I get it wasn't disruptive enough to impede on your experience, but it is there

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty bad but I didn't mind it much with how in the background it was for large stretches of the game and how short the story sequences generally were.

A few tweaks would have made it okay. Mostly the Rose character and his motivations. That shit was genuinely awful. Having him be an egomaniac desperate to submit his legacy by any means necessary (even messing with a dangerous mythical Pokemon) would have been for more tolerable than the bizarre motivation he actually had.

Personally I would have relegated the Eternatus and Sword/Shield quest all to the post game with teases prior to that. Let the main quest focus on the gym challenge and development of the rivals.

Jul 28, 2019
You said the story was "de-emphasized" when it's just as prevalent as it is in previous games, just more terribly paced and front and back loaded. I get it wasn't disruptive enough to impede on your experience, but it is there
I said the story was bad, but that it was deemphasized so it didn't bother me.
That's not making any excuses, that's me identifying it's shit, and then saying "but thankfully it didn't bother me."
You're literally taking issue with the fact that it didn't bother me. I felt it was de-emphasized. I'm sure if you do a cutscene to gameplay ratio analysis, it'll turn out it was every bit as bad as XY or whatever, but the way I played it, I had 40 hours of gameplay for all the ~2 hours worth of story the game figured it wanted to throw my way. To me, that barely registered.

Jul 28, 2019
It was pretty bad but I didn't mind it much with how in the background it was for large stretches of the game and how short the story sequences generally were.

A few tweaks would have made it okay. Mostly the Rose character and his motivations. That shit was genuinely awful. Having him be an egomaniac desperate to submit his legacy by any means necessary (even messing with a dangerous mythical Pokemon) would have been for more tolerable than the bizarre motivation he actually had.

Personally I would have relegated the Eternatus and Sword/Shield quest all to the post game with teases prior to that. Let the main quest focus on the gym challenge and development of the rivals.
Basically, this. All of this (though I do love the subversion with Eternatus).
The issue is I'm still not sure what Rose was trying to do... or why...

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My favourite thing about all of the off screen shit is all you get is a newspaper photo of Leon next to a Dynamax Persserker during the Dynamax rampage after the Piers fight.

Sun and Moon actually showed Hala and Tapu Koko facing off against Buzzswole and Pheramosa. And Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, they extended the cutscene to show all of the Kahunas facing off against other Ultra Beasts.

Like they really couldn't afford a cutscene or something.

Even the Rose and Leon conversation in Rose Tower is some cheap 2D art stills.

Biggest franchise in the world looks like a damn budget RPG with story presentation.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I love pokemon games, have played a few of them multiple times, and I honestly could not give you any specifics on the story of any of them.

Zacmortar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think S/M was all that great either, it suffered from the same "You're not really relevant to the story" thing that Splader brought up. The player character was just along for the ride, Lillie was the main character.
Which is fine because it was still a well written and unique story

SwoSh is not, so its the worst of both

DevilPuncher

Oct 25, 2017
The Fossil Pokemon are trash too
Nah. The fossils are some of the more interesting designs of this gen. Having spliced fossil Pokémon is such a cool idea that even if I don’t necessarily like the designs I can appreciate what they were going for.

Back on topic, something that I’ve come to realize is that great Pokémon designs (of which this game has many) can’t save a mediocre game. For example, this was the first time since Diamond and Pearl where I actually had difficulty deciding on my starter because I enjoyed all of the designs so much. Yet even with a great new group of Pokémon, I could only barely find the game to be compelling.

Zacmortar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure whether it was intentional but my favorite bit of characterization in this game was how, in literally the final battle of a 20+ hour game, Leon the Greatest Champion Ever is still going on about super effective and critical hits. Because after all like 700 times I fought Hop and he never stopped congratulating himself on grasping the concept of rock paper scissors I realized they are the same person, but in Leon's case he somehow managed to fall upwards into stardom and keep that momentum going.

I consider it a mercy that I crushed Hop's hopes and dreams before he started wearing a cape everywhere he went like an asshole
SwoSh's writing is trash but this weird obsession yall have with personally tearing down happy characters is really fuckin gross, holy shit. Never come anywhere near a real life child.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I love pokemon games, have played a few of them multiple times, and I honestly could not give you any specifics on the story of any of them.
Pokemon White is probably my favorite one to date but all I can remember from the story was some hippie looking dude that was huge(?) and somehow a legend or something.

Jul 28, 2019
Do you all think the story is salvageable in a Sharp Sword and Sturdy Shield? I'm not sure there's anything they can do to really fix it lol

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah I didn't quite get his story. Like we destroyed him. Again. And again. And again. Yet he keeps spouting out his usual stuff without a change. He gets beat once by someone else and suddenly it's a massive difference and change? His whole "I'll be my brother!" is useless 5 minutes into the game when we already get rid of his "undefeatable" title lol.
Did... you even read the dialoge?

What devastated him about the lost against Bede wasn't him losing, it was Bede telling him that Hop losing was a disgrace to Leon.

And since Leon was basically a godlike figure for him, he started thinking that him losing might taint Leon's image.

That's what got him broken. That after hyping himself up so much his losses might drag down his idol as well.

And it's not even an interpretation, it's straight up said in the story

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
This forum has more hyperbole every time I look
I don't finish many games, so each game I do finish it usually means the game did something good or right. Which is why the terrible story stuck out to me so much more.
I disagree.

The story is pretty bad and rushed, but it's also so de-emphasized it doesn't matter.
I wish it was even more de-emphasized. They were setting up something to do with the legendary pokemon from the first 5 minutes, and they constantly hinting on something big happening behind the scenes. And then they completely siderail the actual fun stuff (the gym challenge) with this boring terrible story. It was front and center.