I think Pokemon Sword/Shield has the worst story I have ever played through (SPOILERS)

Feb 15, 2019
I just wish they would stop forcing the story entirely. I couldn't stand Sun and Moon because they forced the story down our throats. They still kinda do it here but they don't actually have any real story to push down our throats so they wait till the last minute to do that. Just drop it entirely and just have it be centered around the trainer doing the league/gym/trials whatever challenge instead of some random shitty bad guy/team that wants to do some random shit. You can obviously still have the bad guy in there but you can do it just like the old games where there's not even much dialogue until you actually get to the big baddie of the gang.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
"I see you've been slapping the living shit out of every trainer in Galar without even breaking a sweat, but leave this to the adults and my UNDEFEATED® Charizard!"

Joseki

Nov 5, 2017
"I see you've been slapping the living shit out of every trainer in Galar without even breaking a sweat, but leave this to the adults and my UNDEFEATED® Charizard!"
Honestly the fact that there was no twist on Leon being undefeated was kinda shocking to me. Like, did they really play the "this character is so cool he NEVER LOST!" card straight?

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Ah the story of a group of people so convinced that awakening a large fire god to make more land who then immediately realize how dumb they are is actually extremely compelling pokemon story as opposed to a the story of kids growing up under and out of the shadow of their immediate family members.

dunkzilla

Dec 13, 2018
It’s the worst Pokémon story.

The worst part is it could have been quite interesting if they didn’t shove the whole story into the last couple of hours. Like they didn’t even really explain or introduce Macro Cosmos until you get to the tower. Then you beat like 4 double battles and they’re gone.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Ah the story of a group of people so convinced that awakening a large fire god to make more land who then immediately realize how dumb they are is actually extremely compelling pokemon story as opposed to a the story of kids growing up under and out of the shadow of their immediate family members.
Man, I'd love if Sword and Shield's plot was 100% focused on Hop, Bede and Marnie. It would have made for a way better story than the mess we got.

Sadly, the cool stuff you pointed is really only a B plot and stupid Pokémon stuff take center stage on the main plot

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
It’s really bad. Lacks any soul. Seems heavily rushed. Looks really good for a Pokémon game though and music is decent.

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost as if execution matters. Gen 3 had a stupid premise for a story, but at least it was paced properly, you knew the various characters and their roles, cutscenes were informative and moved the story along, and the setpieces were cool.

Gen 8 had an interesting premise which could have been an interesting story if anyone at Gamefreak knew how to write, but was told through terrible pacing, exposition scenes that ranged from completely irrelevant to only hinting at something interesting, with setpieces that fell flat from terrible directing or from being uninteresting

I also LOVE how people keep bringing up that they thought it was rushed, as if the first half of the game was masterful storytelling and that this was another Xenogears situation. If GF having more time would have meant more mindless cutscenes maybe that wasn't the worst thing. The first half of the game basically amount to Sonia wondering out loud and asking you questions about the legendaries with you forced to listen, Hop repeating his sole animation while going on and on about Leon being awesome and wanting to be Champion (until Bede beats him offscreen and he tones down a little), Leon being lost, Bede repeating some combination of "You're trash", "Chairman is awesome", "Need more wishing stars!" and the Chairman and his assistant talking about how awesome he is and energy. It was all nonsense

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I really hated your "rival" in this one. You meet him every 5 minutes where he constantly challenges you and lose to you over and over again and yet he keeps repeating that he will be the Champion. Since you ,the player, is going to be the champion you know all of his efforts will be for nothing and that his rivalry with his brother is kind of pointless. He'll have to be happy with the power of friendship instead. There is a part in the game where he loses to the guy that I had believed was an old lady and the writing make this a big event and yet it's brushed over quickly and he still constantly lose to you after anyway.

There's basically no world building or side story in the game. The evil company's name is like dropped in a battle near the end and you never heard of them before. You just mostly follow the road between cities and gyms with nothing in between. Postgame was pure padding.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'd love if Sword and Shield's plot was 100% focused on Hop, Bede and Marnie. It would have made for a way better story than the mess we got.

Sadly, the cool stuff you pointed is really only a B plot and stupid Pokémon stuff take center stage on the main plot
Not really? Hop's central conflict is introduced from minute 1 and a number of other characters (Marnie, Bede) are struggling under the weight of expectations. It's the central focus of like the whole game.

Hop keeps swapping up his team throughout the game which I noticed, partly because he didn't know how to beat you, but also because he was so interested in many different types of pokemon (like a professor).

It's there throughout.

Freeglader

Nov 13, 2017
BW1 has an alright story.

Its basic Pokemon but with a lot of fluff truths and ideals talk. I'd almost say it's trying too hard to be a more "mature" game.
At least Black and White tries to tackle more meaningful and ‘mature’ subjects. I thought it was a good step in the right direction. I’d take that any day over the awful stories in X/Y and Sw/Sh.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Not really? Hop's central conflict is introduced from minute 1 and a number of other characters (Marnie, Bede) are struggling under the weight of expectations. It's the central focus of like the whole game.

Hop keeps swapping up his team throughout the game which I noticed, partly because he didn't know how to beat you, but also because he was so interested in many different types of pokemon (like a professor).

It's there throughout.
As is Chairman Rose, Oleanna and Leon's meddling and suspicious activity though. And it's pretty clear that is the main plot as it's the one that leads to the climax and ending.

Either that or you can't also reduce Gen 3's story to Team Magma being dumb without also saying Gen 3's story is actually about a kid going on an adventure with their rival because that's what's peppered throughout the game, right?

Strider0457

Dec 27, 2017
It obviously was not finished.

Feels like they honestly did not have enough time to even make more cutscenes to flesh it out, so they hurried to move the player to all the necessary battles and then called it a a day. It's like when you have an essay due the next morning but have barely worked on it all, forcing you to scrap together something presentable the night before.
This is exactly how I felt going through it. Like the writers had played other Pokémon games, but forgot to actually write anything for Sword/Shield so they just scribbled down the bones of a story as they were rushing into the final meeting with the animators and such.

Joseki

Nov 5, 2017
So what happens in the post-game, any summaries?
2 dudes never saw or heard before come and steel the rusty sword/shield, they force you to visit each gym again to beat a dymanaxed Pokémon and then they lose control of the cover legendary. You save the day, capture the legendary and beat Hop once last time so hard he decides to become a professor in the future because he could never beat you.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
That's not the "story" of this game though. A game can have good character development and still have a terrible story.
And even then that's barely touched upon and is buffeted with the whole "you do your kid stuff" for the majority of the game. At least in gen 3 you felt like you were a part of things. That you had a direct role and it was also built up for quite a while. I also really liked the competing teams aspect in Emerald and you just getting smack dab in the middle of it.

I really hated your "rival" in this one. You meet him every 5 minutes where he constantly challenges you and lose to you over and over again and yet he keeps repeating that he will be the Champion. Since you ,the player, is going to be the champion you know all of his efforts will be for nothing and that his rivalry with his brother is kind of pointless. He'll have to be happy with the power of friendship instead. There is a part in the game where he loses to the guy that I had believed was an old lady and the writing make this a big event and yet it's brushed over quickly and he still constantly lose to you after anyway.

There's basically no world building or side story in the game. The evil company's name is like dropped in a battle near the end and you never heard of them before. You just mostly follow the road between cities and gyms with nothing in between. Postgame was pure padding.
Yeah I didn't quite get his story. Like we destroyed him. Again. And again. And again. Yet he keeps spouting out his usual stuff without a change. He gets beat once by someone else and suddenly it's a massive difference and change? His whole "I'll be my brother!" is useless 5 minutes into the game when we already get rid of his "undefeatable" title lol.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
As is Chairman Rose, Oleanna and Leon's meddling and suspicious activity though. And it's pretty clear that is the main plot as it's the one that leads to the climax and ending.

Either that or you can't also reduce Gen 3's story to Team Magma being dumb without also saying Gen 3's story is actually about a kid going on an adventure with their rival because it's what's throughout the entire game, right?
No themes are present in that rival plot though. There's no nuance or emotion. It's extremely clear that Hop's journey of personal struggle under his brothers shadow is the A plot. Chariman rose's stuff isn't introduced until at least the mines area when Bede comes up and even then Rose comes in to curtail Bede later at the mural.

I can reduce Gen 3's story to that logline since that's all that's there.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
2 dudes never saw or heard before come and steel the rusty sword/shield, they force you to visit each gym again to beat a dymanaxed Pokémon and then they lose control of the cover legendary. You save the day, capture the legendary and beat Hop once last time so hard he decides to become a professor in the future because he could never beat you.
Wait whoa, seriously? What the? This is all after the credits?
Damn, guess I do still have some things left to do.
No themes are present in that rival plot though. There's no nuance or emotion. It's extremely clear that Hop's journey of personal struggle under his brothers shadow is the A plot. Chariman rose's stuff isn't introduced until at least the mines area when Bede comes up and even then Rose comes in to curtail Bede later at the mural.

Are you seriously calling the whole "I'm going to beat you!" "I'll get you this time!" "this time for sure!" Hop plot nuanced? I'll agree he has more progression than other characters but he became an annoying obstacle 4 hours into the game. There was a point where he was just there to drag along the main character and to move the plot forward because the mc is unable to make any actual decisions for themselves.

BDS

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to the terrible nonexistent story there's also this weird climate change denial angle to it? "Oh it's a problem X years in the future, damn the chairman for trying to stop it and risk all our lives."

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I beat the main story yesterday too, and while I'd hesitate to call it the worst story I've ever played through, it was very inexplicable

The fact Leon and Co. are basically doing the interesting lore stuff off screen before dumping it all on you towards the end. Characters warping all over the map like it's the last season of Game of Thrones (at least they have flying taxis I guess). Entire characters' motivations being barely explored until the last minute (it's blatantly hinted that something is up with the Chairman but it gives you nothing to work from besides "he was mean to Bede" even though he probably deserved to be called out even more considering he destroyed a national monument). Also the key chase was blatantly padding in the worst way considering Oleana coulda just, y'know, took the key... inside the tower. Kids can still piece together basic logic so it being for them ain't an excuse.

I feel like the game should have focused on one element or the other - so the gym challenge, or the myths. It'd be like if a police officer showed up in Red/Blue or Ruby/Sapphire to say "the evil team is up to something, but we've got it! You go to the next gym!" It's just lame. I'd rather had the opportunity to explore the history of Galar entirely or focus on the drama of the Gym Challenge and the fame that comes with it.

Oh also the battle with Eternatus was so anti-climactic to me since I had no Pokémon that did solid damage to it, I only got a powerful hit in when it had like 2HP left, it was embarassing.

Jan 3, 2018
X/Y were worse. SwSh are bad because the game was clearly rushed out to market when it should have been a late 2020 title. There's too many instances of "oh shits going down, but you keep on going ahead and ill deal with it"

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I should probably beat it but I just played through the whole game and didn't struggle at all until the final champion battle because he was the first one who was a few levels above me and his bullshit dragon ghost had like every element worth of attacks lmao

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Oh also the battle with Eternatus was so anti-climactic to me since I had no Pokémon that did solid damage to it, I only got a powerful hit in when it had like 2HP left, it was embarassing.
Yeah... I was just there to be another target for Eternatus while sword and shield just finished it (using the same move again and again).

There were a few moments where I did have trouble in the game. Raihan and his metal dragon and Leon and his charizard, but with leon I cared so little that I just popped in Eternatus and full restored my team to victory.

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the relative lack of story for most of them game. Despite it being annoying getting stopped every five seconds in the early game, after a while it did feel like they were finally letting me just be a Pokémon trainer. But then you get to the end and they decide it’d be fun to throw everything in right before the champion match and grind everything to a screeching halt. It’s definitely worse than usual with how they handled it.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I should probably beat it but I just played through the whole game and didn't struggle at all until the final champion battle because he was the first one who was a few levels above me and his bullshit dragon ghost had like every element worth of attacks lmao
Man all that damn thing did was spam shadow ball with me lol

Milennia

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My problem is sun and moon had one of my favorite stories after really not liking any Pokémon stories since it’s inception, so I assumed it would be a norm at that point but we snapped right back

Slayven

1000% Demon King
Oct 25, 2017
It was a lacking story for sure, but they definitely threw it in your face. You basically had to see a nonsense cutscene upon entering every town and mostly after being gym leaders
most of them to say the same damn thing. Goddamn I know i am the chosen one of the champ and dark sky shit, let me go

Strider0457

Dec 27, 2017
You can usually tell pretty early on in a game if you should just skip through all the dialogue or not.
Hop is the worst because he insists on saying idiotic shit to you in battle where you can't skip it. "So you figured out super effective hits!" in the final fight before the champion. Gamefreak really thinks kids are fucking morons.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
most of them to say the same damn thing. Goddamn I know i am the chosen one of the champ and dark sky shit, let me go
This random woman who had no real training as a professor (not that I noticed anyway) pieces together logic a 10 year old could have and suddenly shes "the most knowledgeable on the darkest day".

Like what lol?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

Well, either way. If you consider Rose's plot as the B plot, it means the less important plot is the one that leads to the climax, which leads to a hugely unsatisfying conclusion and poor storytelling all around.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Hop is the worst because he insists on saying idiotic shit to you in battle where you can't skip it. "So you figured out super effective hits!" in the final fight before the champion. Gamefreak really thinks kids are fucking morons.
One of the gym leaders even mentions that hop talks too much lol.
And then his brother says the same crap in his battle too!

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
My nephew got pretty fed up being stopped so often in general and just kept trying to mash past certain scenes/battle convos lol. Was pretty funny watching him get so impatient.

Mondo

Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
BW1 has an alright story.

Its basic Pokemon but with a lot of fluff truths and ideals talk. I'd almost say it's trying too hard to be a more "mature" game.
I think that's being a bit too reductive, given BW1 deviates from tradition in favor of story quite a lot, most notably in how the game ends compared to any other Pokémon game.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, Florida
The fact that so many hardcore Pokémon fans don’t want to try to fight for a better game blows my mind, you can buy the game and enjoy the good in it but you have to voice your concerns and not get mad at others for voicing their concerns in an attempt to downplay and defend a multi million dollar profit developer with a multi billion dollar IP. We can get a better product and what’s bothers me most personally is that the franchise for some reason goes 1step forward two backwards every release instead of building on successes they wipe the slate clean every time.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they just focused entirely on the sports aspect and cut out the stuff related to the legendaries til after the championship. It felt like walking into Wyndon from Route 10 was meant to be a 'Victory Road to Championship' moment but with how easy and linear Route 10 was and the terrible pacing before and after, it felt unearned. At least the music is nice. Bede never having a chance to confront Oleana / Rose later on is stupid.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It’s my first Pokemon since gameboy color and while I’m enjoying it I kinda wanna see another studio take a stab at it just to see how they could handle the storyline / writing.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure whether it was intentional but my favorite bit of characterization in this game was how, in literally the final battle of a 20+ hour game, Leon the Greatest Champion Ever is still going on about super effective and critical hits. Because after all like 700 times I fought Hop and he never stopped congratulating himself on grasping the concept of rock paper scissors I realized they are the same person, but in Leon's case he somehow managed to fall upwards into stardom and keep that momentum going.

I consider it a mercy that I crushed Hop's hopes and dreams before he started wearing a cape everywhere he went like an asshole

Oct 27, 2017
X/Y were worse. SwSh are bad because the game was clearly rushed out to market when it should have been a late 2020 title. There's too many instances of "oh shits going down, but you keep on going ahead and ill deal with it"
You act like it being rushed is the reason the story was garbage. All more time would have done would have been to fit in more cutscenes further displaying how mindnumbingly dumb the story was. It wouldn't have suddenly made it good or the characters not one note

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The fact that so many hardcore Pokémon fans don’t want to try to fight for a better game blows my mind, you can buy the game and enjoy the good in it but you have to voice your concerns and not get mad at others for voicing their concerns in an attempt to downplay and defend a multi million dollar profit developer with a multi billion dollar IP. We can get a better product and what’s bothers me most personally is that the franchise for some reason goes 1step forward two backwards every release instead of building on successes they wipe the slate clean every time.
It's a mainline Pokemon game, people will lap it up and somehow justify nearly every weird decision Gamefreak goes with. It's best to just accept this.