I just got an SSD and holy god

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
You get to enjoy loading so fast you can't even finish reading the loading text in Fromsoft games.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
What are you going to use the 2TB for? That should impact your decision.
Depends.

The way I see it with the space one platter drive took I can fit in two more drives. Depending on durability the drive will function as a ram drive and then game stroage after I partition it a certain way. If durability is an issue for the tech I will just get two drives use one as a ramdrive, infinitely better than usb sticks. If you're wondering why I need ramdrives my video work gets heavy or the tabs I tend to run up. Sticking windows on ramdrive post load or if you alter to be loaded from start is superior to the common way most people have windows installed. OS systems are insane if they are properly loaded on a ram drive. Right now I use usb, but after seeing how much better this evo is vs the sticks I use might as well go for broke.

Yes I'm that crazy to rig my pc that way.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Welcome. Now get yourself a decent GPU and a cheap CPU and welcome to 60 plus fps.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Depends.

The way I see it with the space one platter drive took I can fit in two more drives. Depending on durability the drive will function as a ram drive and then game stroage after I partition it a certain way. If durability is an issue for the tech I will just get two drives use one as a ramdrive, infinitely better than usb sticks. If you're wondering why I need ramdrives my video work gets heavy or the tabs I tend to run up. Sticking windows on ramdrive post load or if you alter to be loaded from start is superior to the common way most people have windows installed. OS systems are insane if they are properly loaded on a ram drive. Right now I use usb, but after seeing how much better this evo is vs the sticks I use might as well go for broke.

Yes I'm that crazy to rig my pc that way.
You're definitely going to want 2 drives.

Do you have NVMe slots? If not, do you have any spare PCI-E slots? You might want to consider an Intel Optane drive as a RAM drive. If you really need to use SATA, then go with a Samsung Pro level drive or something with very high endurance. But I'd think PCI-E bandwidth would be pretty crucial for a RAM drive.

Then just get something cheap and high capacity for games since the performance and write endurance doesn't really matter.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Pro is designed to last longer, but in all honesty: Do not worry about it for gaming. You are more likely to exchange the drive because it is to small than because it starts failing. I'm still using a 250GB Samsung 830 from 2011, with constant game installs and deletes.
Performance difference is rather irrelevant. 1TB 970 Pro writes 2700MB/s and the 970 Evo just 2500MB/s (sequentiell). 10% faster, but whatever.
Figured. It's $50 cheaper on Amazon from Cyber Monday. Ordered the 1TB

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
I can't wait until some of you experience an Intel Optane drive. Doing something like Windows Update on that vs. any other NVMe drive is really surprising. I mean, I paid $900+ for 480GB, but hell, it's been great.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's expensive and it's very good. To some, money is no object (up to a certain point). <$1000 for a computer trinket isn't worth worrying about.
Oh my surprise wasn't at the price, more at the fact that these are now big enough for general storage and still provide an advantage in day-to-day Windows operation over NVMes, that's what surprised me honestly.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Oh my surprise wasn't at the price, more at the fact that these are now big enough for general storage and still provide an advantage in day-to-day Windows operation over NVMes, that's what surprised me honestly.
Only for really specific use cases, as the only parts that are much better are the random reads. For most tasks it's not a lot different, but I feel better knowing that there is no corner case where the drive is falling over from my rampant use. I'm talking workstation stuff, not gaming.

Plus, man... look at it.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Only for really specific use cases, as the only parts that are much better are the random reads. For most tasks it's not a lot different, but I feel better knowing that there is no corner case where the drive is falling over from my rampant use. I'm talking workstation stuff, not gaming.

Plus, man... look at it.

Okay yeah that makes sense and holy alright that looks like some alien tech! :o

unicornKnight

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Yeah and it really excites me for next Gen. I realized today how loading has turned me of for a lot of games. For example when I play open world games I mostly explore so loading isn't that big a deal but I rarely boot racing games lately like Forza because it feels I constantly have to wait, loading a track then loading the menu after race is finished and so on. Whenever a game makes me wait longer than 20 seconds often, it just turns me off.