I just got an SSD and holy god

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking about getting an SSD laptop/computer for a while now. The main thing I'm worried about is if I buy something that has processors and RAM less than what is needed to run most applications. I want to do ultra-quick editing and making movie files plus gaming loading faster than 500 years which is what it feels like for a lot of games. I just don't understand all the stuff about ghz, gigabits, RAM, ultra-clocking or whatever. I'm worried if I go for an SSD without any of the other bells and whistles my computer is going to turn into a piece of crap in comparison to what I have at the moment.
Regardless of the system, an SSD will improve the overall usability of the system more than any other upgrade you can possibly think of for your computer. I've made older Core 2 Duo systems with 4GB of RAM feel reasonably snappy with a simple SSD upgrade.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Another benefit that's often under-appreciated: the lack of noise. It's infuriating hearing hard drives clicking away as they're loading data. KHRRRRRRR...KHRRRRRR...KHRRRRRRR

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just got an NVMe drive. A 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus. It's very fast but I can't say my boot times dropped anywhere near that much (coming from an 860 EVO PRO SATA drive). I hear the 1TB version is actually faster though.
People with sub 10 second boot times usually don't have much I/O plugged into their PCs.

Every device you add will increase your boot time, generally. More disks, a GPU, USB devices, network cards. You can sometimes speed things up a bit in the BIOS but the majority of your boot time will just be the motherboard initializing the devices before Windows starts to load. Even a super fast NVMe drive won't speed that up by that much.

That being said, you should check to see that it's configured properly by running a CrystalDiskMark bench to make sure you're getting the advertised speeds.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had a Samsung SSD for a few years ago and it’s an absolute game changer. I would be on Discord with a buddy when an update prompts a restarts, and I’d tell him I have to restart. I come back 7 seconds later, and he asks, “Wait, I thought you had to restart.”

Unfortunately, my SSD seems to be defective. Half the time my rig doesn’t recognize it and boots my HDD instead (usually when I don’t use my PC for a couple days). So I’d have to restart and go into the BiOS to re-establish my SSD as the primary drive. I think I’m going to upgrade to an NVMe.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Game changer.

I have 3 SSDs in my rig. 2TB, 750GB, and 250GB. Made a choice a while ago to kick the mechanical HDD out of my rig, and haven't looked back. Good riddance.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I had a Samsung SSD for a few years ago and it’s an absolute game changer. I would be on Discord with a buddy when an update prompts a restarts, and I’d tell him I have to restart. I come back 7 seconds later, and he asks, “Wait, I thought you had to restart.”

Unfortunately, my SSD seems to be defective. Half the time my rig doesn’t recognize it and boots my HDD instead (usually when I don’t use my PC for a couple days). So I’d have to restart and go into the BiOS to re-establish my SSD as the primary drive. I think I’m going to upgrade to an NVMe.
Is your BIOS possibly reverting settings due to an unstable OC? Or maybe the CMOS battery is defective, so you lose your settings.

I'd recommend maybe just swapping SATA ports for your drives, so that your SSD is on the lower SATA port. Maybe that way your motherboard will still revert to your SSD even if the settings are lost.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I bought one recently because I needed space on my PS4 Amateur and because the Monster Hunter World loading times were getting on my nerves. I've noticed it doesn't work for all games (Street Fighter V loads just as slow on an SSD as on the PS4's internal HD), but it was a massive game changer for MHW. Compare:

Starting the game with Seliana as hub:
Internal HD - 72 seconds​
SSD - 16 seconds​

Traveling from Seliana to the Ancient Forest level:
Internal HD - 63 seconds​
SSD - 32 seconds​

Returning from Ancient Forest to Astera (the other hub):
Internal HD - 68 seconds​
SSD - 21 seconds​

ForeverYung87

Nov 8, 2017
I don't even know why I have an HDD still in my PC. I'm basically only using the 3 SSDs I bought for it. The benefits are just too good.

Oct 31, 2017
Game changer.

I have 3 SSDs in my rig. 2TB, 750GB, and 250GB. Made a choice a while ago to kick the mechanical HDD out of my rig, and haven't looked back. Good riddance.
I have 3 SSD as well (1 TB NVMe, 1 TB SATA and another 500 GB SATA) and I still have a 4 TB mechanical for generic storage purpose.
That said, I basically decided it will probably be my last one and from now on into the future it will be just SSDs for me.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I knew I was missing something, but didn't know it would change the speed of everything so substantially. I am a true believer. Got the Samsung EVO 860 1TB.

What are the big advantages with an SSD in terms of gaming?
Right now, just loading times.
This isn't entirely correct anymore, in the future games might require a SSD to work well, the first game that does is Star Citizen which is performing very bad on a classic HDD.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is your BIOS possibly reverting settings due to an unstable OC? Or maybe the CMOS battery is defective, so you lose your settings.

I'd recommend maybe just swapping SATA ports for your drives, so that your SSD is on the lower SATA port. Maybe that way your motherboard will still revert to your SSD even if the settings are lost.
Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve been trying to solve this problem for ages. I’ve tried swapping SATA cables and ports to no effect. It’s a curious thing. I usually notice it happening when I haven’t used my PC for a while. But when I go into the BIOS when it happens, my SSD just isn’t there. I have to restart (a simple restart usually isn’t enough; I actually have to shut down) before it appears in my BIOS. I can change the SATA port so it appears first, but I’d still have to restart anyway to get my PC to recognize it.

KojiKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve been trying to solve this problem for ages. I’ve tried swapping SATA cables and ports to no effect. It’s a curious thing. I usually notice it happening when I haven’t used my PC for a while. But when I go into the BIOS when it happens, my SSD just isn’t there. I have to restart (a simple restart usually isn’t enough; I actually have to shut down) before it appears in my BIOS. I can change the SATA port so it appears first, but I’d still have to restart anyway to get my PC to recognize it.
Have you checked if you're SSD has a firmware update? Always the first thing I suggest with SSD issues.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Destiny 2 loading times and in general how slow the damn menu to the point for me to buy a new pc. I cant stand it even more. Im wasting too much of my remaining time with HDDs on this planet.

Bisnic

Oct 25, 2017
Quebec
I moved WoW from my SSD to HDD when i bought Borderlands 3(because my SSD is only 256gb), and the load times have been fucking ridiculous in WoW since then. If i load into a hub like Stormwind, shit take even longer and sometimes my character can't even move for a few secs once I'm out of the loading screen and icons takes a while to load.. I really need to get a bigger SSD so I can stop moving games to my HDD or deleting them.

Bisnic

Oct 25, 2017
Quebec
Looking into some SSDs... what's the difference between these two 1TB SSDs for the Samsung one to be 20$ more expensive compared to the WD one?

KamiCrit

Oct 27, 2017
Western Canada
Looking into some SSDs... what's the difference between these two 1TB SSDs for the Samsung one to be 20$ more expensive compared to the WD one?
They're both essentially the same, but I tend to recommend Samsung as the NAND flash and memory controller are both made under one roof.

Mcmanicman

Apr 7, 2018
My biggest problem is it takes quite a bit of time for my PC to actually get to the booting Windows phase but then again me having 4 HDDs in my PC doesn't help probably. I just felt since my case has so many HDD bays why should I throw old HDDs out :P
i also have 2 4TB 7200rpm HDD and numerous externals, still much faster now

Flutter

Oct 25, 2017
Right now the best usage of SSD in gaming is Star Citizen, but this will start to change when next gen comes along.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alright now what's the difference in the Evo 970 Pro vs non-pro?
Pro is designed to last longer, but in all honesty: Do not worry about it for gaming. You are more likely to exchange the drive because it is to small than because it starts failing. I'm still using a 250GB Samsung 830 from 2011, with constant game installs and deletes.
Performance difference is rather irrelevant. 1TB 970 Pro writes 2700MB/s and the 970 Evo just 2500MB/s (sequentiell). 10% faster, but whatever.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
i also have 2 4TB 7200rpm HDD and numerous externals, still much faster now
Oh no doubt, it's still blazing fast, just not instantaneous like some of my friends have it with SATA SSDs. During Windows boot after the POST my USB devices cycle power once for whatever reason and it's not before they come back that I see the login screen. When I look at PCs my friends have they usually see the EFI logo followed by the Windows screen for 5 seconds and then directly the login-screen with no extended USB power-cycling atleast.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
SSDs are a system wide upgrade, but specifically for gaming (outside of the OS speedup) it seems like it depends. Or it used to anyway. I haven't used an HDD for games since 2012, but I do know that certain games loaded only slightly faster on an SSD than my 10,000 RPM drives at the time. Mainly games that would load entire levels at once. For games that streamed data constantly, not only did the SSD prevent the stuttering an HDD could have, it wasn't constantly making a seeking or thrashing sound (fast HDDs were obnoxiously loud). Now I would never even consider using an HDD for anything other than storage.

Oct 28, 2017
If I could easily replace my HD in my One X with a SSD it would defuse most of my excitement about next generation consoles.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
If I could easily replace my HD in my One X with a SSD it would defuse most of my excitement about next generation consoles.
It shouldn't. Simply replacing the drive in the consoles won't give you a comparable boost to how using them in a PC will. The next gen consoles will be designed around using SSDs. The current gen really aren't.

And just think... your SSD is one of the slower ones!
Not even NVMe drives are that much faster than a decent SSD right now for gaming. Once you go beyond an HDD, most everything else seems lightning fast in comparison.

Oct 28, 2017
It shouldn't. Simply replacing the drive in the consoles won't give you a comparable boost to how using them in a PC will. The next gen consoles will be designed around using SSDs. The current gen really aren't.
If it would make my games load 50% faster and make the Xbox OS more snappy then it would be completely worth it for me.

I see no reason why that wouldn’t be the case, the One X is basically kinda a PC running a proprietary OS. The same basic concepts around IO bottlenecks and faster 4K read speeds should apply.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Y’all about to make me pull the trigger on a 1tb crucial mx500. 99.99 and 15% cb with my amazon Visa card.
Thinking bout putting it in an old dell xps 17

Mcmanicman

Apr 7, 2018
Oh no doubt, it's still blazing fast, just not instantaneous like some of my friends have it with SATA SSDs. During Windows boot after the POST my USB devices cycle power once for whatever reason and it's not before they come back that I see the login screen. When I look at PCs my friends have they usually see the EFI logo followed by the Windows screen for 5 seconds and then directly the login-screen with no extended USB power-cycling atleast.
there is an option in my bios to bypass usb detection to speed up bootup, maybe on yours?

Brannon

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You seriously don't know what you're missing until you get one to replace the standard HDD.

You can either...
Turn on your PC, wait to boot, log in, wait for the desktop icons and background programs to load in, and if your HDD kinda sucks there's that grinding sound of it seeking all over the place.

Or you can...
Turn on your PC wait to b-, log in, wait for th- and backgr- and you're done.

Not to mention game load times, but also other program load times are slashed. SSDs just make everything better. Git wun.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
If you have a MacBook 2012 that has upgradeable storage like mine, the SSD makes it feel like a new machine. I was gonna buy a new MacBook but after this upgrade I’ll hold off another few years.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Game changer.

What 2tb model and brand you got? I always like your taste and need to upgrade in to big SSD finally, none are 1GB plus.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I remember on a whim I added a SSD to my laptop 5 years ago just to see what the fuss was about. After seeing how much faster Windows booted and game loading times, I can’t imagine ever going back to a PC without an SSD. To be fair, I will load and play games off my HDD when storage space becomes an issue (and if it’s some multiplayer or other game I only play on occasion) and the load times are still ok, but whenever possible, getting that SSD advantage is too good to pass up.

I think the PS4 and Xbox have found a clever way to get around the traditionally long initial load (sometimes with unskippable logo sequences) of games with things like rest mode to minimize the wait to start playing a game, but it is exciting to potentially see SSD become a standard in the next round of consoles.

georaldc

Oct 27, 2017
I knew I was missing something, but didn't know it would change the speed of everything so substantially. I am a true believer. Got the Samsung EVO 860 1TB.

What are the big advantages with an SSD in terms of gaming?
Mostly loading. Some games like Witcher 3 load ridiculously quick with an SSD compared to a HDD

You seriously don't know what you're missing until you get one to replace the standard HDD.

You can either...
Turn on your PC, wait to boot, log in, wait for the desktop icons and background programs to load in, and if your HDD kinda sucks there's that grinding sound of it seeking all over the place.

Or you can...
Turn on your PC wait to b-, log in, wait for th- and backgr- and you're done.

Not to mention game load times, but also other program load times are slashed. SSDs just make everything better. Git wun.
The new ryzens seem to bring back long boot times :p. It's just the initial bios, windows load time. Once in desktop, everything is snappy.

I wonder if it's a bug with my 3700x and/or motherboard (x570 taichi).