I just got an SSD and holy god

Tanuki-Go

Jul 21, 2018
US
Oh man, I went from an ancient standard hard drive to NVME this year and it was a fucking revelation. My system boots up and is ready to go in less than ten seconds whereas before it would take three to four minutes.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i desperately need to get one but my 1080ti is pushing my PSU as is so i don't want to f things up

waiting for the next GPU upgrade to upgrade everything else but at this rate (with GPU prices) i guess it's unrealistic

videodrome

Oct 27, 2017
I paid around $75 for a 32GB SSD back in 2011, insane to watch the prices drop. Spinning HDs have their place for mass storage but you’ve got to have an SSD boot drive.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
UK
What’s the best ssd for a PS4 Pro?
I wouldn't bother. PS4/Pro (like X) is so bandwidth and CPU limited that you'll only see small gains in most games, it's nothing like how they perform on PC. So you'd be better going for a hybrid SSHD instead like the Firecuda, will give you additional speed nearer to the limit of what the console can handle. That or just get the cheapest SSD you can find.

KojiKnight

Oct 25, 2017
i desperately need to get one but my 1080ti is pushing my PSU as is so i don't want to f things up

waiting for the next GPU upgrade to upgrade everything else but at this rate (with GPU prices) i guess it's unrealistic
An SSD will likely use less power than any mechanical drive you have. Get a nice big one, transfer data over, then remove the mechanical dinner. Your graphics card isn't going to suck any real power during that process as long as you aren't gaming in the background

KojiKnight

Oct 25, 2017
That's so very wrong.
On a PS4? It's mostly correct, though the benefits will be lessened if you constantly play different games. SSHD work best on consistentently accessed data (like an operating system, or a game you play over and over) since it's basically just a regular spinning disk drive with an SSD cache.

Oct 27, 2017
That's so very wrong.
But while there are some improvements to the loading time experience, the bottom line is that the SATA 3 interface in PS4 Pro still doesn't really make the most of an SSD upgrade - these drives just perform so much better on PC, and bearing in mind some of the loading time results seen on this page, that's a real shame.
Overall, as an option for upgrading either PS4 or PS4 Pro, the Firecuda makes a lot of sense. Even though it possesses a significant price premium over the standard 2TB Seagate upgrade, hybrid technology ties into the way we play games to achieve an effective speed boost over time. Doubling or quadrupling space gives a decent amount of breathing room in the age of the 50GB game install, but with patience, but the shortened load screens are a big bonus. Once cached to the NAND partition, the results put this hybrid into a similar league to SSDs, where equivalent-sized 2TB solid state drives cost a small fortune.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
One weird thing though, if anyone could help: it seems that my fans have gotten way louder since installing my SSD, any reason why or fixes? It really only happens when I'm playing a game.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
How about a small external SSD for the X?
Would an SSD improve open world game (streaming) performance?

i-Lo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
My mind was blow how much difference it made to an old computer I had. Suddenly you are made aware of how much of a bottleneck the storage device can be.

Arta You could go with a 1TB SSD from WD or Crucial or Samsung Evo. They are all great choices and barely a difference between them in the real world.

Won’t make use of its speeds. You’re better off getting a SSHD.
You couldn't be more wrong.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
They are about 10 years old now, im surprised so many people on era are only getting them now.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I wish that was actually the case. Some games chug, no matter what. Jedi Fallen Order for example is terrible in this regard and I wouldn't even consider it open world.
I don't have much chugging at all on my i9-9900k - it's a slight hitch - a few frames - when changing areas. If this is a streaming issue, it might be exasperated by CPU grunt. (decompression threads might be too intensive)

One weird thing though, if anyone could help: it seems that my fans have gotten way louder since installing my SSD, any reason why or fixes? It really only happens when I'm playing a game.
Only thing I can imagine is related to my other comment just above... Is your CPU under more strain now that it can decompress assets from a fatter input stream?

Game load times are actually more limited by CPU decompression threads than SSD bandwidth. That's why nvme doesn't make a big difference (now). All games are stored compressed to improve loading off slow medium, and the CPU threads allotted for decompression is the limiting factor (if you have a SSD and not a HDD).

i-Lo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
@those who are contesting the benefits of SSDs on Pro (shame X does not allow for internal HDD swapping w/o warranty violation), aside from the consistent benefit of lowered load times (which add up over hours upon hours of play time), is unlike SSHD and HDD, they do not suffer the same data fragmentation issue after installations and deletions of files from storage. Afaik, neither PS4 nor Xbox (for shame) have defrag programs on the OS. Eventually, the fragmentation notably increases seek times which is a huge issue on platter based storage solutions.

nsilvias

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i bought a 1 tb 860 qvo a couple months ago just because i hated how noisy my storage hdd was after going ssd for my os drive. no ragrets despite being hesitant at first because of the price.

Manfred

Oct 28, 2017
Geneva, Switzerland
@those who are contesting the benefits of SSDs on Pro (shame X does not allow for internal HDD swapping w/o warranty violation), aside from the consistent benefit of lowered load times (which add up over hours upon hours of play time), is unlike SSHD and HDD, they do not suffer the same data fragmentation issue after installations and deletions of files from storage. Afaik, neither PS4 nor Xbox (for shame) have defrag programs on the OS. Eventually, the fragmentation notably increases seek times which is a huge issue on platter based storage solutions.
With my aged Crucial MX 240Gb, the initial Death Stranding loading feels twice faster than on the external USB3, and in-game reload like instant.

i-Lo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
With my aged Crucial MX 240Gb, the initial Death Stranding loading feels twice faster than on the external USB3, and in-game reload like instant.
Wow, that was quite the difference. I wonder how many games have been installed and deleted off of that 1TB HDD though. That was very slow.

Talking about DS, the initial load time comes to around 29.5 seconds (average) on chapter 3 for my 1TB SSD. I wonder what it is on the default HDD.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Everything I've read says NVMe isn't significantly different than a SATA SSD unless you are moving extremely large files. Do you feel like you are getting an appreciable difference? I'm looking to do a ground up new build in the next two years and NVMe drives caught my attention, but I don't want to spend the money if it isn't worth it.
For me, windows went from like 15 seconds on start up with ssd to under 4 on nvme.

The only game with noticable increases that I play is civ vi. Loading games and turns is so much faster and smoother with nvme.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I got my first SSD in the middle of playing Skyrim. I'll never forget going from sitting there reading the loading screen writeups again and again, to not even having enough time to see what the topic of the writeup was.

bnx

Mar 18, 2018
Enjoy it! I still remember installing my first ever SSD on an older MBP I had (rip). Difference was night and day.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the club, congratz! :D I bought my OS 120gb SSD a few years ago and it was a massive upgrade, then last week I ordered a 480gb NVMe for Star Citizen and yesterday I snagged a 512gb SATA SSD for cheap during Black Friday sales that I'll use to expand my OS drive.

TeenageFBI

Oct 25, 2017
For me, windows went from like 15 seconds on start up with ssd to under 4 on nvme.
I actually just got an NVMe drive. A 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus. It's very fast but I can't say my boot times dropped anywhere near that much (coming from an 860 EVO PRO SATA drive). I hear the 1TB version is actually faster though.

Mcmanicman

Apr 7, 2018
just ditched my boot ssd for a 2x1TB NVMe drives, takes 5 secs to boot into windows now, blazing fast

Manfred

Oct 28, 2017
Geneva, Switzerland
Wow, that was quite the difference. I wonder how many games have been installed and deleted off of that 1TB HDD though. That was very slow.

Talking about DS, the initial load time comes to around 29.5 seconds (average) on chapter 3 for my 1TB SSD. I wonder what it is on the default HDD.
About the video I have posted, I wasn't sure of its accuracy so in doubt I edited my message.

With my Crucial MX 240Gb : from the title screen to the prompt 30 sec for the first load, 12 sec for a reload. The same 30 sec if I load another save from a different (part of the) region of the game, and also half when reloading the same save. With the WD Passeport 1Tb on the USB3.1 rear port : one minute for the initial loading or a region change. Immediate reloading time has more or less the same duration on both drive.

Just to say that if you have an old SSD to recycle, it can be a good idea to put in your console and the old HD in a 5$ 2.5" USB3 case that you can re-use with it to store games. The data management isn't complicated for copying games between the internal and external drive. The only downside is that it keep the dashboard busy, you cannot do anything while copying something.

Last edited:

Edward

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The PC i had a friend build me only has enough for OS and maybe 1 game and don't know how to install one so ive only experience 2 games on it one didn't make much a difference but boy does tarkov load and seem to run way better on it. Is external SSD's worth getting for a Pc?

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
I ordered yesterday a 256GB SSD to finally jump to the SSD bandwagon, but it still feels wrong that for the same price I could've gotten a 4TB HDD here...

Solid

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to this decade. You're 9 years late, but it's never TOO late to get your first SSD.

i-Lo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
About the video I have posted, I wasn't sure of its accuracy so in doubt I edited my message.

With my Crucial MX 240Gb : from the title screen to the prompt 30 sec for the first load, 12 sec for a reload. The same 30 sec if I load another save from a different (part of the) region of the game, and also half when reloading the same save. With the WD Passeport 1Tb on the USB3.1 rear port : one minute for the initial loading or a region change. Immediate reloading time has more or less the same duration on both drive.

Just to say that if you have an old SSD to recycle, it can be a good idea to put in your console and the old HD in a 5$ 2.5" USB3 case that you can re-use with it to store games. The data management isn't complicated for copying games between the internal and external drive. The only downside is that it keep the dashboard busy, you cannot do anything while copying something.
Thank you. Sounds like the read speed is capped the same for users of SSD because I get near identical values. And thanks to your test off of the USB 3.1 connection, it is substantially faster than platter drives.

Funny you should mention using the stock drive as an external one. I had the same idea after putting SSD in the Pro. Had I not planned to trade in the system next year for a discounted PS5, I would have done exactly so.

Jan 21, 2019
I dunno why it aggravates me so much people still seem to need convincing how much of a change an SSD can bring to even an old system. And they're so damn cheap these days. It should be the number one upgrade for any older system.
I extended the life of my 3rd gen i5 laptop for the foreseeable future just by changing my HDD to a sata SSD. Before the upgrade I felt like the laptop was dying: hickups, freezes, huge boot times, crashes, overheating, I had a billion problems with it. Once the SSD was inside, it felt like a brand new laptop. Faster than it was ever before. I haven't had a single problem with it since. Going from 4gigs to 8gigs of RAM did nothing compared to the SSD. It's so stable and fast now that I think I can use it for another 3-5 years.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just got an NVMe drive. A 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus. It's very fast but I can't say my boot times dropped anywhere near that much (coming from an 860 EVO PRO SATA drive). I hear the 1TB version is actually faster though.
just ditched my boot ssd for a 2x1TB NVMe drives, takes 5 secs to boot into windows now, blazing fast
My biggest problem is it takes quite a bit of time for my PC to actually get to the booting Windows phase but then again me having 4 HDDs in my PC doesn't help probably. I just felt since my case has so many HDD bays why should I throw old HDDs out :P

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Been thinking about getting an SSD laptop/computer for a while now. The main thing I'm worried about is if I buy something that has processors and RAM less than what is needed to run most applications. I want to do ultra-quick editing and making movie files plus gaming loading faster than 500 years which is what it feels like for a lot of games. I just don't understand all the stuff about ghz, gigabits, RAM, ultra-clocking or whatever. I'm worried if I go for an SSD without any of the other bells and whistles my computer is going to turn into a piece of crap in comparison to what I have at the moment.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought an HDD since 2011. I would only ever bother buying an HDD for media storage.

Of course, SSDs still aren't insanely cheap, but you can still get a budget 2TB NVMe drive for around $200, which is perfect for games storage.

MrChillaxx

Jan 13, 2018
Every single one of my computers has a SSD, they cost so little there's no reason whatsoever to not put one even in "office computers".

Built a super cheap ass FB/Word/Excel/Retrogaming machine for my GF 2 years-ish ago with a Pentium G4560 and my extremely old Corsair Force 3 SSD from... 2011 maybe? It's ultra fast, meanwhile she's always complaining about her sister's desktop, a prebuilt from some random mall with a 7200rpm drive that she uses when at her parent's being super slow.