I just got an SSD and holy god

Oct 28, 2017
I knew I was missing something, but didn't know it would change the speed of everything so substantially. I am a true believer. Got the Samsung EVO 860 1TB.

What are the big advantages with an SSD in terms of gaming?

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Your load times on SSD are great.

I hope you didn't like reading those little tool tips they put on loading screens, you'll never see more than one or two at a time

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
I knew I was missing something, but didn't know it would change the speed of everything so substantially. I am a true believer. Got the Samsung EVO 860 1TB.

What are the big advantages with an SSD in terms of gaming?
Yeah, once you go SSD, you can’t go back. Another big advantage is streaming. Issues with texture streaming are significantly reduced.

benbeau

Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally, I just ordered a Samsung EVO 860 1TB yesterday and I'm really excited for it to arrive and get it installed.

LQX

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why it aggravates me so much people still seem to need convincing how much of a change an SSD can bring to even an old system. And they're so damn cheap these days. It should be the number one upgrade for any older system.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
I dunno why it aggravates me so much people still seem to need convincing how much of a change an SSD can bring to even an old system. And they're so damn cheap these days. It should be the number one upgrade for any older system.
My system is pretty old (i5-3570k, rx470, 8GB DDR3) and I'm trying to upgrade piece by piece. It seemed an SSD was a logical, small upgrade that could make a big difference.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
What gets me about Assassin's Creed Odyssey is that there's still time to read a few tooltips. I probably don't want to remember how long it took to load before I got the SSD.

Older games benefit even more. I'm playing through Skyrim right now, and even it's first-load times are less than five seconds. Middle loads like entering a city or building is around one second, it just fades to a black screen and then right back up again.

Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it’s nice. I put long loading time games on my 1tb SSD and short loading time games on my 1tb HDD. Biggest thing for me was not the games though, it was opening programs like a web browser super quick and starting up the OS.

Anyone who’s still on an HDD for their boot drive should get an SSD asap while the prices are cheap. $110 for 1TB is worth it for the time saved and just general use.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe as my OS / Program drive and then a 1TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD for games. Never going back to standard HDDs.

Dec 25, 2018
you'll appreciate it more when you have word docs or can load large PDFs in seconds compared to waiting for them to load.

Jake_Peralta

Nov 3, 2019
Welcome to 2019. Biggest advantage is the reduced load times. Longevity of solid states are a welcomed feature as well.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Yup can't wait for consoles to have them because not only will it be huge for them but its going to be even better now for pc since there's really only one game currently where a ssd is required. Now all games can fully take advantage.

For those wondering the game is Star Citizen, the game blows currently but its the first game to fully utilize everything an ssd offers

Feltrol

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I don't have a SSD but I want to get one, what do I need to install it? Do I need to reinstall the OS? Can I move files from the HDD to the SSD?

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Worth it for the faster boot times alone. The reduced load times are great, but I'm also really interested to see if/how developers take advantage of the technology on next gen consoles, and how raising that baseline impacts PC gaming.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I haven't (willingly) used a computer without an SSD since 2012.
This.

My first was an OCZ agility 80gb? I think. In like 2010. Had to put system on it and like 1-2 games at a time.

Had a 120gb Intel x-25m after that. And a 256gb at some point.

Had a 512gb Crucial in my quasi-gaming laptop for a few years (like $180?). It's still in the laptop even though I don't use it at all anymore.

Have a 512gb pci-e one in my Dell tower and a data one for a games drive.

I just ordered a Dell tower for my daughter for Christmas and was surprised a gaming desktop (even a $500 one) would ship with a 1tb HDD only.

LQX

Oct 25, 2017
If I don't have a SSD but I want to get one, what do I need to install it? Do I need to reinstall the OS? Can I move files from the HDD to the SSD?
Many manufactures like Samsung have free cloning/data migration software specific to their SSD. Install the SSD then just clone your HDD to the SSD. That said, you should still maybe back up your most important files in case things go wrong.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Used an SSD for the first build I made 5 years ago. The boot time for Windows and loading time for games is super quick. My new build has an nvme and its even better.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
No more stuttering in open world games as the HDD chugs trying to stream assets is the biggest thing, next to load times.

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Glad you made the jump OP. I have been full SSD on my machines since 2011 with external storage being HD - it's absolutely worth it for the huge performance increase alone.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
4TB SSD space, 4TB HDD space in my gaming computer. 2nd desktop 500MB SSD, 1TB HDD, 3rd desktop 500MB SSD, work laptop 500MB SSD.

The only thing I regret is not being able to dump HDDs entirely at this point.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Used an SSD for the first build I made 5 years ago. The boot time for Windows and loading time for games is super quick. My new build has an nvme and its even better.
Everything I've read says NVMe isn't significantly different than a SATA SSD unless you are moving extremely large files. Do you feel like you are getting an appreciable difference? I'm looking to do a ground up new build in the next two years and NVMe drives caught my attention, but I don't want to spend the money if it isn't worth it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I currently have WD Blue SATA M.2 SSD for OS, and 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME for games.

Some games just don't seem to need it like small indy stuff with already fast enough loading. Some multiplayer games don't give you a benefit of using SSD so I don't put those there unless it make sense (Warframe loads fast on normal SSD, while Anthem and Destiny 2 have crazy load times and have to be on SSD for example). It took me a while to find out which of my games needed to be on SSD but unfortunately some games have load times hard baked in with annoying unskippable stuff, and MP stuff where you're waiting on everyone to load anyway.

Looking forward to next gen and seeing console's removal of HDD speeds effect on PC games.

Calles

Nov 1, 2017
They have become cheap enough now that not having one is foolish. They definitely are nice to have. You come to love the speed.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
On an old system a SATA SSD would remove almost all storage-related bottlenecks
Load times would be much better, and streaming stutters would also mitigated subtantially

madmook

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
You're gonna enjoy using Windows now, too! Been using an SSD since the Windows Vista days, and that OS ran great for me. The exorbitant prices of SSD's back then were not very pleasant, however.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Everything I've read says NVMe isn't significantly different than a SATA SSD unless you are moving extremely large files. Do you feel like you are getting an appreciable difference? I'm looking to do a ground up new build in the next two years and NVMe drives caught my attention, but I don't want to spend the money if it isn't worth it.
The biggest difference is moving large data. I'd say Windows boot time is similar to my old SSD, if not just ever so slightly quicker. I also found they are easier to install. Just one screw and directly onto the motherboard. Prices are coming down for m.2 drives. I'd check the prices when you do start building.

Last edited:

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
It's the biggest noticeable upgrade on a computer if you're coming from an HDD.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
It’s most noticeable if you have your windows OS installed on it Glad you’re happy with. I’m still using my old 64GB I bought in 2013 :).

I bought another 1-2 years ago for putting games on.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
SSD's are so disgustingly cheap these days you would be crazy not to have even a small one just for the OS.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I got the 860 Evo too last month, but turns out if you're on an AMD system that uses AMD SATA drivers the SSD will freeze up regularly.

Had to swap it out for Crucial but luckily it's got the same read and write speeds.

Feltrol

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Many manufactures like Samsung have free cloning/data migration software specific to their SSD. Install the SSD then just clone your HDD to the SSD. That said, you should still maybe back up your most important files in case things go wrong.
Thank you. Do you know if NVM is better than SATA?

c0de

Oct 28, 2017
What’s the best ssd for a PS4 Pro?
Look at reliability tests. The SSD for a pro will be bandwidth limited, Sony doesn't allow full speed for any drive.
The gain you'll see is especially due to the fact that an SSD is way faster in terms of access times.

Droidian

Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I put a 128 GB ssd to boot in my first PC build. I just bought the 1TB 860 evo and reinstalled games into that.
Next time I do a build, for sure it's going to have an NVME to boot at least.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a newbie PC laptop gamer which has a SSD and the speed in which GTAV loads compared to the PS4 Pro I had is a holy shit moment

Hzoltan969

Oct 26, 2017
No more stuttering in open world games as the HDD chugs trying to stream assets is the biggest thing, next to load times.
I wish that was actually the case. Some games chug, no matter what. Jedi Fallen Order for example is terrible in this regard and I wouldn't even consider it open world.

Thank you. Do you know if NVM is better than SATA?
It is definitely better, but not going to be a huge difference in real world performance. I recently upgraded my 1TB SATA SSD to a 2TB NVMe one and even though synthetic tests show a 500% performance increase, it feels to me that the actual gaming experience is largely the same. Haven't measured anything though or tested extensively, this is just casual observation.