• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

How many people are considering cancelling Netflix?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The main thing I'm interested in Disney+ for is Star Wars, Fantasia, and Nat-Geo so no, I wont be cancelling Netflix.

Last edited:

Skyejack

Oct 30, 2019
Disney’s biggest releases will still be available months ahead of Disney Plus on other services Like iTunes, Amazon etc etc.

Lump

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually I'm going to hit an efficiency threshold, where I'll just prefer to sub to 1-2 services for a month at a time and just watch what has accumulated over the months on those services. Then drop them the next month, and subscribe to something else to watch what accumulated on that service. And so on.

biggy

Dec 12, 2017
I haven’t used Netflix in a few years. Don’t really care for their original programming. I sure as hell have zero interest in rewatching older shows too.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I cant say there is anything on the Disney service that I MUST watch. If have had to choose, I would go with Netflix for a greater variety of content.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
So far not considering it. They are doing a nice job adding docuseries and documentary films regularly which is my jam. The original programming and movies beyond that is sporadically interesting but I am still satisfied for the moment. And yes I can't wait for Disney+. I also have Apple TV+ through the promotion (get a year free when you purchase certain hardware) but i'm totally underwhelmed by it and definitely won't pay money for that without MASSIVE improvements.

I tried to get through the pilot for See and wanted to fall asleep so bad.

Gypsie

Oct 29, 2017
I am always coming and going anyway. Sub for a month watch some stuff then unsub for a while. Just did it with Amazon too - hadn't been subbed for well over a year but wanted to watch a few new things so subbed for a month and watched them, I will now cancel that sub.

Seems no reason for me to be subbed all the time. Not enough I want to watch.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'll cancel it if they crack down on sharing account info like the article I read. They are considering requiring fingerprint authentication (WTF this isn't a banking app), having a text message authentication everytime you start watching something, requiring weekly password changes, etc. All ridiculous and I only share my password with my sister who lives in another city.
Where did you hear that? I've read what Netflix said about the issue recently and it's nothing like that. Also, it sounds like you are breaking the ToS anyway, so they'd have every right to restrict your activity.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
The problem going forward for Netflix (as well as the other streamers) isn't people dropping one for another, it's people getting used to constantly subbing and unsubbing from them. Why sub to Netflix 12 months of the year when you can sub for 4 different months + 4 different months of Disney+ + 4 different months of HBO Max and be able to watch everything from all 3 services that you want? Losing 2/3 or more of the yearly revenue from a large enough chunk of their regular viewers is what's going to hurt them.

Last edited:

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no. I tried the nostalgia phase and realized it never really lived up to my memories. I crave new content. People that constantly complain that theres nothing good to watch on Netflix is actually making me think they have no range at all. No other platform has the breadth of international content as Netflix does.

So I will sub to Disney for the Mandalorian once the entire series is out but I have no urge to rewatch any of the old series, especially stuff that I already own (Simpsons).

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
If I'm not actively watching a show I cancel all of the streaming services that I use including netflix. I'm using TVTime.com (handy mobile app) to track my shows so I know when there's new episodes and such. When there's a season or two of stuff I want to watch on a service I subscribe for a month or two watch it then cancel. When the next season of Star Trek is up for example I'll resubscribe to CBS All Access for a month marathon it then cancel it again.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Where did you hear that? I've read what Netflix said about the issue recently and it's nothing like that. Also, it sounds like you are breaking the ToS anyway, so they'd have every right to restrict your activity.
This article here mentions it and Netflix in its earning call mentioned wanting to crack down on password sharing, although the article I read on my phone made it sound like fingerprint authentication was seriously being considered while the Bloomberg article makes it sound like more of an after thought. And if I can't share my account with family like my sister, then I'll just cancel said account. I have enough other content to watch that I don't need Netflix.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I'm increasingly considering it. The selection in my country is kinda crap anyway, and there's a good chance I'll sub to Disney+ when it opens here in March (if they can strike enough deals to get the streaming rights to their stuff back from local platforms).

I'll probably resubscribe for a month here and there if they release something I really want to watch, but right now it's not really worth it.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
The problem going forward for Netflix (as well as the other streamers) isn't people dropping one for another, it's people getting used to constantly subbing and unsubbing from them. Why sub to Netflix 12 months of the year when you can sub for 4 different months + 4 different months of Disney+ + 4 different months of HBO Max and be able to watch everything from all 3 services that you want? Losing 1/3 or more of the yearly revenue from a large enough chunk of their regular viewers is what's going to hurt them.
The one advantage Netflix has over some streamers is it better suited as a complete replacement of cable (of course outside of news and sports). As I have completed stepped away from cable, Netflix is the one streaming service I would hate to be without. I will get Disney+, but its lack of adult programing (no R rated) will hold it back from being well rounded. So I see Disney+ being the few months a year sub for me, while HBO Max and Netflix will be all year round.

Some commenters only getting Netflix to watch Stranger Things, which is not even in the current top 10 of Netflix shows, is funny. Netflix has some much good content it is hard for me to keep up with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What with Disney+ coming next week (I upped for 3yrs for $140) and all the other streaming services out there, Netflix just doesn’t seem to hold the same value it once did. I have the $17/mo plan for 4K- I find myself watching less and less of their content. Too much crap. I’m considering just subscribing for a month at a time when they add shows/seasons I’m interested in.

Anyone else?
I’m not canceling full stop, but I will be only subbing 2-3 months of the year. When Last Kingdom comes out and stranger things. I’ll binge any other shows I miss

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even have it. It's stupidly expensive.

I'll probably sub some months on Disney if only because the price is reasonable unlike Netflix.

Oct 27, 2017
These threads remind me of those pre-launch hype threads for new game consoles.

It’s gonna be funny when people complain about “lack of D+ content” upon release, which could have been easily discerned by anyone with patience, or a basic understanding of the Disney release schedule for new series.

On topic: No. I really love the foreign Netflix series (and US originals), and there’s no rush to get D+.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It’s weird. I’ve been hammering series on Amazon Prime lately:
The Boys
Jack Ryan
Friday Night Lights
Justified
Man in the High Castle

and still have no intention of canceling Netflix. Netflix has basically assumed the mantle that my cable subscription did: white noise to put on in the background while I’m doing stuff and once in a while find something I want to watch.

Consumer psychology is weird.

Edit: I should note that I’m particularly excited for The Witcher so I wouldn’t be canceling before that is out anyways.

petethepanda

Oct 25, 2017
only in theaters
I still use my parents' Netflix account, but if I used my own, I probably would, but not because of Disney+ and such specifically. I only subscribe to these services while I'm actively watching stuff on them; I try to not leave everything indefinitely active just for the sake of idle browsing, as they all add up very quickly.

I can actually count the number of times I've watched Netflix in the past year on one hand. I guess I'm just not watching much TV at all lately.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
This article here mentions it and Netflix in its earning call mentioned wanting to crack down on password sharing, although the article I read on my phone made it sound like fingerprint authentication was seriously being considered while the Bloomberg article makes it sound like more of an after thought. And if I can't share my account with family like my sister, then I'll just cancel said account. I have enough other content to watch that I don't need Netflix.
Apparently I've reached my free limit of articles there. Are you sure that's not just speculation? This is what Netflix actually said in their latest CC:

Michael C. Morris Guggenheim Securities, LLC, Research Division
Okay. Another topic that we haven't talked about in a little while is that of password sharing or stealing or whatever you want to call it. As we get to a more mature growth trajectory in the U.S., does that come back into being something that's important for you to address? And how do you address it without alienating a certain portion of your user base? How do you strike a balance there?

Gregory K. Peters Chief Product Officer I think we continue to monitor it, so we're looking at the situation. We'll see, again, those consumer friendly ways to push on the edges of that. But I think we've got no big plans to announce at this point in time in terms of doing something differently there.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I'm not cancelling any time soon. My name is Dolemite came out less than two weeks ago the Irishman is out in about three weeks, and there is always something worth watching, especially if you like stand up. They seem to put out one or two reasonably high quality specials out a month.

Vilix

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I am. Back when I first subscribed to Netflix it was awesome. Now it almost complete crap. Even the original anime is crap. Most of it anyway. If I ditch it I’ll check out Disney+.

Geoff

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the attraction of Disney, I know this is a videogames forum but...it's all cartoons and stuff isn't it? I'll not pretend I don't watch superhero movies or Star Wars but I don't think I really want a service where that stuff is the intellectual high watermark. I'm nearly forty.

Skyejack

Oct 30, 2019
Why would anyone cancel Netflix over Disney plus?V why do people think Disney plus is a Netflix killer?
People who think super hero movies are the pinnacle of man's existence can't understand how anyone else wouldn't also feel the same. Why would anyone want diversity of content when you could have an ocean of G rated greatness?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Not with The Irishman, The Witcher and Lost in Space this December on Netflix, The Expanse on Amazon and Picard in January, I won't need Disney plus. Also the UK one will be nurfed with Sky.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently I've reached my free limit of articles there. Are you sure that's not just speculation? This is what Netflix actually said in their latest CC:

Michael C. Morris Guggenheim Securities, LLC, Research Division
Okay. Another topic that we haven't talked about in a little while is that of password sharing or stealing or whatever you want to call it. As we get to a more mature growth trajectory in the U.S., does that come back into being something that's important for you to address? And how do you address it without alienating a certain portion of your user base? How do you strike a balance there?

Gregory K. Peters Chief Product Officer I think we continue to monitor it, so we're looking at the situation. We'll see, again, those consumer friendly ways to push on the edges of that. But I think we've got no big plans to announce at this point in time in terms of doing something differently there.

The article is about a consortium that includes Netflix, HBO, and cable providers looking for methods to eliminate password sharing. It suggested possibilities such as mandatory constant password changes or using cell phone authentication or blocking everything except cell phone/tablet use outside of the primary IP address of the subscriber (not really sure how that would work considering most ISPs don't provide a constant IP address).

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Nah, I feel like people underrate the amount of things on Netflix. I think it still offers good value for the money.

I should probably look at all the streaming services I pay for and think about cutting some, right now I have Youtube TV, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Espn+ and was going to get Disney+. I think I'm still better off doing this than cable (My internet + media bill is about ~120 a month) but it's getting closer

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I cancelled in favor of Hulu. Used to find little value in Hulu at first but with their growing access to current shows and even movies (and now live TV and growing value as Disney leverages the platform for their content and Fox), Netflix is something that only appeals due to their original programming, which mostly doesn't excite me, and even if there is stuff I want to watch, I can always binge it all in a month rather than keeping a ongoing subscription.

They've found a niche that has gotten people to stick with them over cable and other services, but their value is more like an HBO or other similar service than a "cable replacement" with so many other options.

Even Prime Video at least has the other Prime benefits with much of the same licensed content.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not canceling Netflix and I have the 3 year Disney+ offer. The content between the 2 are very different from each other.

Biggersmaller

Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Netflix has totally sucked for a long time and I let my sub run through during the summer. There’s not a single thing I feel like I’ve missed. It’s like when you were in blockbuster and there was that aisle of movies that made you think “who the fuck would watch that?” except in subscription form. Netflix can eat my ass
LOL

Damn dude. Settle the fuck down. Did Netflix murder your dog or something? It’s a commitment-free subscription. It’s fine if you cancelled because you couldn’t find enough interesting content...but you behave as if $9 for the 50k hours of varied content they offer is a total scam.

Burli

Nov 7, 2017
I'm starting to sour on Netflix but it'll depend a lot on what Disney+ can offer outside of the Marvel/Animated/Star Wars spectrum. I'm wondering how limited Disney+ may be in terms of mature content. Netflix still trumps all the alternatives at the moment.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. Don't really care for Marvel or Star Wars. Why should I subscribe to a Disney channel? Even with kids, Netflix has a tonne of content for all age groups.

Freddy=Legend

Oct 29, 2017
I'm probably done with it for the time being & use a free trial when the next season GLOW drops. Too many of Netlix's originals are quantity over quality. And I used to use Netflix for my go-to horror fix; but Shudder & Amazon Prime have way better selection for horror films. So I'll stick with those 2 plus Disney+ for the foreseeable future. Even HBO Max looks way more worth my buck than Netflix does to me.