• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

How does ERA like their steaks?

How do you eat your steak?

• Rare

Votes: 84 11.2%
  • Medium Rare

Votes: 406 54.4%
  • Medium

Votes: 139 18.6%
  • Medium Well

Votes: 54 7.2%
  • Well Done (You monster)

Votes: 64 8.6%

• Total voters

Masoyama

Oct 27, 2017
Favorite is when the steak is thrown on the coals until its charred outside and raw inside, black and blue style. At restaurants I order rare, or medium rare depending on the chefs suggestion.

Raw ground meat is also really good when properly prepared.

OneEightZero

Oct 27, 2017
I want it as rare as possible without being cold inside.

I hate cold steak.

I want Medium Rare, but most of my cooks are usually scared to over cook it and leave it more rare. So I usually ask Medium Well and hope for the best.

Fuck cold meat.

Stinkles

343 Industries
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
2:2:2 method.

Let steak come up toward room temp if it’s been in the fridge. Season however you want. Salt and pepper is fine. People who say pepper burns are liars. You may if you like put a tiny sheen of peanut or another high smoke point oil on each side but honestly it’s not necessary.

Set oven or grill to 500 degrees.

Heat cast iron or heavy oven safe skillet to mad hot. Water drops should dance like crazy as they evaporate.

Sear one side for two minutes.

Flip and sear the other for two minutes.

Immediately place pan in the oven for another two minutes.

Remove from heat and pan and let rest. You can put a little pat of butter or whatever on it but no need.

This is better than sous vide because YOU CAN LIVE YOUR LIFE and be done with it in six minutes with zero prep.

And the taste and texture difference? Detectable but NOT worse. Different. I actually like it better but I don’t want to activate the Sous Vide Squad. Simmer down you lot.

If you're using the bbq grill do everything the same except put the steak on the top shelf and close the lid for two minutes.

Last edited:

Lonewulfeus

Oct 25, 2017
Medium rare or rare depending on the cut and the venue. Anyone talking about putting that red sugar paste on steak (or anything really) just know you sound like a finicky child to the rest of us.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
2:2:2 method.

Let steak come up toward room temp if it’s been in the fridge. Season however you want. Salt and pepper is fine. People who say pepper burns are liars. You may if you like put a tiny sheen of peanut or another high smoke point oil on each side but honestly it’s not necessary.

Set oven or grill to 500 degrees.

Heat cast iron or heavy oven safe skillet to mad hot. Water drops should dance like crazy as they evaporate.

Sear one side for two minutes.

Flip and sear the other for two minutes.

Immediately place pan in the oven for another two minutes.

Remove from heat and pan and let rest. You can put a little pat of butter or whatever on it but no need.

This is better than sous vide because YOU CAN LIVE YOUR LIFE and be done with it in six minutes with zero prep.

And the taste and texture difference? Detectable but NOT worse. Different. I actually like it better but I don’t want to activate the Sous Vide Squad. Simmer down you lot.

If you're using the bbq grill do everything the same except put the steak on the top shelf and close the lid for two minutes.
This is exactly my method as well.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

After hot-dogs, it's time to test ERA's taste in steaks. I mean we are all absolute masters of the culinary arts here, so this battle to the finish shall be an epic sight to behold. Personally I'm a rare to medium rare type of person AKA a normal human being. Who here will admit there like theirs well done AND with ketchup? This is a battleground. Let us begin.
From healthline:

However, these meats can also harbor bacteria, including Salmonella, Campylobacter, E. coli O157:H7, and Listeria monocytogenes, which can cause serious foodborne illnesses. Hence, it’s important to cook meat to safe temperatures before eating it (2Trusted Source, 3Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source).
Beef
Ground beef, including meatballs, sausages, and burgers, should reach an internal cooking temperature of 160°F (70°C). Steak and veal should be cooked to at least 145°F (65°C) (12, 13).

So this means medium steak is the MINIMUM.

One and done. And we outta here.... Point blank period.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I use the Alton Brown recipe from Good Eats:

1. Place a 10-to-12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven and heat the oven to 500 degrees F. Bring the steak to room temperature.
  2. When the oven reaches temperature, remove the skillet and place on the range over high heat for 5 minutes. Coat the steak lightly with oil and sprinkle both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper.
  3. Immediately place the steak in the middle of the hot, dry skillet. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip the steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium-rare steak. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)
  4. Remove the steak from the skillet, cover loosely with foil and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.

Stinkles

343 Industries
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I use the Alton Brown recipe from Good Eats:

1. Place a 10-to-12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven and heat the oven to 500 degrees F. Bring the steak to room temperature.
  2. When the oven reaches temperature, remove the skillet and place on the range over high heat for 5 minutes. Coat the steak lightly with oil and sprinkle both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper.
  3. Immediately place the steak in the middle of the hot, dry skillet. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip the steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium-rare steak. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)
  4. Remove the steak from the skillet, cover loosely with foil and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.
take a one inch thick slice of mutton shoulder, brush milk on it and stick it between the fridge and the counter overnight in August but take it out before September.