• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

How didn’t Skynet know where Sarah Connor lived during the 1980s?

-shadow-

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that one, I thought you meant the large ones. Yeah it has aged, but I wouldn't consider it terrible. Will see it soon enough what the editing does for the film.

BassForever

Oct 25, 2017
CT
The first two films' time travel is entirely fine. It's a closed loop in which the future cannot be changed. The sequels screwed up by not understanding that, of course, but the Cameron-directed films' don't have that problem.
The second one ends open ended with the hope that the future can, and maybe, was changed. The alternative ending shows that was the original plan. It wasn’t until t3 that we you discover history will course correct so that everything in the future still happens.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Also keep in mind, Judgment Day was 1997 in the original timeline so they wouldn't have had digitized records, google maps, etc that we have now. Would have probably just been military/university stuff.

Bigwombat

Nov 30, 2018
Try finding where big wombat lived in 1987. Good luck. Seriously I lived in the us in Massachusetts but it's easy to have a month to month not on the books lease with someone in the 80s. Phone, electric, and mailing addresses wouldn't be kept especially if you moved a lot in your 20s.

Social security might have some records but they wouldn't be digitized back then and no one is digitizing some randos info in the 2000s from the 1980s.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
You gotta think like a machine.

Why bother searching up the specific address of the Sarah Conner in LA who birthed John Conner when you can just murder every woman named Sarah Conner? That's a lot simpler.

TheRealCanadianBros

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why are y’all ignoring the fact that I’ve seen this movie before? I’ve said as much. And I don’t remember the details of everything I’ve seen. I was watching this movie again for the nth time when the thought crossed my mind because I didn’t recall the answer ever being given in the movie.
The poster I quoted isnt wrong tho regarding this thread.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on what information Skynet has. Sure, records *exist* for most places I've lived in my life...though not all (even recently, my last two addresses on record are retail mailboxes while I was sharing apartments without being on the lease). And for the ones actually on the record, you'd have to get a hold of my credit reports or IRS records to get a list of every address, there's very little chance the facilities where IRS records are stored would survive Judgement Day (maybe the credit agencies, but their internet ain't gonna be up anytime soon, and in the original timeline probably didn't have their data online).

KyrieEleison

Avenger
Dec 31, 2017
There is a really great fanedit to Terminator 3 called Terminator 3: The Coming storm which changes a slight part of the plot to make this happen. In the original T3, the virus that is attacking the US defense grid is just some normal current-time virus, and that's why they let skynet take over. But in T3: The Coming Storm, they try to address the paradox regarding Judgement day being averted in T2 by explaining that the TX's primary mission was to upload a virus that spurs skynet into existence. So, the change is that the virus in T3 is of future skynet origin. It's a super slight change, but it makes it work so much better.

So, in a round about way, as skynet is the one that launched the nukes, in that edit, they did just what you asked.
It's actually pretty far from being the same thing. S/he was suggesting that a Terminator nukes the entire Los Angeles just kill Sarah Connor.
-- Firstly, Skynet causes a nuclear war in every timeline.
-- Nuking an entire city in the past just to kill one person almost guarantees that Skynet will never come into existence (because it is highly probably that it will lead to a post-Watchmen style disarmament)
-- Also one Terminator cannot overrun an entire army, which is what is required for it launch nuclear attack in the past (before Skynet gains control of nuclear weapons).

Krejlooc

Indie Game Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's actually pretty far from being the same thing. S/he was suggesting that a Terminator nukes the entire Los Angeles just kill Sarah Connor.
-- Firstly, Skynet causes a nuclear war in every timeline.
-- Nuking an entire city in the past just to kill one person almost guarantees that Skynet will never come into existence (because it is highly probably that it will lead to a post-Watchmen style disarmament)
-- Also one Terminator cannot overrun an entire army, which is what is required for it launch nuclear attack in the past (before Skynet gains control of nuclear weapons).
It's the same thing in that skynet sent a terminator into the past to launch nukes, which is what he suggested. That terminator did so with the intent of killing john connor with said nukes.

Krejlooc

Indie Game Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was a fan edit for a reason, namely it doesn't make sense.
It literally makes as much sense as the entire rest of the series, because it's the exact same mechanism. But whatever, I don't really care about how much you don't like the concept. Be silly and draw the line at "sending robots to the past to ensure the time loop is broken is fine, sending robots to the past to ensure the time loop occurs is outlandish."

KyrieEleison

Avenger
Dec 31, 2017
It literally makes as much sense as the entire rest of the series, because it's the exact same mechanism. But whatever, I don't really care about how much you don't like the concept. Be silly and draw the line at "sending robots to the past to ensure the time loop is broken is fine, sending robots to the past to ensure the time loop occurs is outlandish."
My point is that if the criteria for Skynet's existence is taken from T2, then Skynet would erase its own existence by nuking LA by virtue of killing Miles Dyson (along with all his research) irrespective of whether it killed John Connor or not (which is something not guaranteed).

-- Even if you take the criteria from the other films that proceed on the assumption that some form of Skynet is inevitable, what would the reaction of the contemporary United States be if a rogue program nuked one of its cities? Probably a rejection of AI, the elimination of computer networks, the introduction of new safety protocols, etc, and many other measure that would form an obstacle to Skynet's existence.

In both circumstances, nuking one city is inconsistent with Skynet's long-term objectives, namely to ensure its existence.

Krejlooc

Indie Game Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My point is that if the criteria for Skynet's existence is taken from T2, then Skynet would erase its own existence by nuking LA by virtue of killing Miles Dyson (along with all his research) irrespective of whether it killed John Connor or not (which is something not guaranteed).

-- Even if you take the criteria from the other films that proceed on the assumption that some form of Skynet is inevitable, what would the reaction of the contemporary United States be if a rogue program nuked one of its cities? Probably a rejection of AI, the elimination of computer networks, the introduction of new safety protocols, etc, and many other measure that would form an obstacle to Skynet's existence.

In both circumstances, nuking one city is inconsistent with Skynet's long-term objectives, namely to ensure its existence.
It's like you didn't read the details of how they nuked the cities in the fan edit. In the fan edit, skynet already exists it just hasn't been given the reigns of the nuclear program like it would have been given in the original timeline. Hence they sent back the TX to create a virus that would pose a big enough threat, that they would make skynet become active, at which point it'd nuke the entire world. Which is exactly what happened, which is extremely logical, because not doing this would mean, in this new timeline, that they'd never assume control over the nukes in the first place.