• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

How didn’t Skynet know where Sarah Connor lived during the 1980s?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't they send more than 1 terminator? I've seen t1+t2 like a hundred times, but i don't remember right now if that was ever addressed.
The way I remember time traveling was a desperate move and the resistance was practically it's door breaking in to destroy so the terminators it sent was all it could send in time

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the T-800 need to use the finger for reading aid when going through the phone book?

True Savior

Oct 27, 2017
wasteland
That was all they could do. They had lost the war and were being overrun by the human resistance. It was a last ditch effort.
But they mention this in the movies? Reese talks about it?
It did. It sent a T-800 to the 80s to kill Sarah Connor and a T-1000 to the 90s to kill John Connor in case the T-800 fails.
More than 1 per timeline
they address it, supposedly there wasn't enough energy left in the world to send multiple terminators rapidly. Also, they sent a terminator back while the resistance was storming skynet headquarters for the decisive victory. In the original two movies, skynet would have been completely defeated just moments after they sent the terminator back, it was a true last ditch effort.

In T1, they said they had limited energy and thus couldn't send an army of terminators, but T2's explaination is that, they had enough time to send two, but, due to the butterfly effect essentially, they knew the moment they sent the first one back that it had failed, so they recalculated to send the second one back. Originally, T2 was supposed to open showing them storming the HQ and sending reese back during the victory against skynet.

The post T2 movies have basically retconned all of this, though.
Ok. I don't really remember the energy thing.

inguef

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
'Just got the precinct' - did you make this thread in the middle of the movie? FFS

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I feel as though a great deal of questions about films could be solved by watching the film rather than stopping to post online about it.

OP
OP
TheFallenSaboteur
Oct 27, 2017
they address it, supposedly there wasn't enough energy left in the world to send multiple terminators rapidly. Also, they sent a terminator back while the resistance was storming skynet headquarters for the decisive victory. In the original two movies, skynet would have been completely defeated just moments after they sent the terminator back, it was a true last ditch effort.

In T1, they said they had limited energy and thus couldn't send an army of terminators, but T2's explaination is that, they had enough time to send two, but, due to the butterfly effect essentially, they knew the moment they sent the first one back that it had failed, so they recalculated to send the second one back. Originally, T2 was supposed to open showing them storming the HQ and sending reese back during the victory against skynet.

The post T2 movies have basically retconned all of this, though.
Have you seen Dark Fate? Does it have a satisfying story?

Z-Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Skynet wouldn't have hung onto that information because why would it when it was planning on nuking most life on earth.

Krejlooc

Indie Game Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, basically. If skynet knew she was in LA, why didn't they send a terminator to a military base and launch multiple nukes on all of Southern California (etc etc)
There is a really great fanedit to Terminator 3 called Terminator 3: The Coming storm which changes a slight part of the plot to make this happen. In the original T3, the virus that is attacking the US defense grid is just some normal current-time virus, and that's why they let skynet take over. But in T3: The Coming Storm, they try to address the paradox regarding Judgement day being averted in T2 by explaining that the TX's primary mission was to upload a virus that spurs skynet into existence. So, the change is that the virus in T3 is of future skynet origin. It's a super slight change, but it makes it work so much better.

So, in a round about way, as skynet is the one that launched the nukes, in that edit, they did just what you asked.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Even ignoring the in-movie explaination about records being lost, think about how hard it is right now to find where someone lived in 1980, just 40 years removed. That information just doesn't exist in mass storage.
Yep. Pre-digitalisation. No-one is going to go and dig out those records and scan that shit into some database. And if you were, say, renting a place in 1980, how many written records would there be of your address to start with? Not too many.

It's quite easy to look at this through the prism of current technology where everything is catalogued in a dozen databases online, but forty years ago shit was pretty different. Don't think it's stretching suspension of disbelief much at all to accept that Skynet didn't know where the Sarah Connor lived at the exact date that the Terminator was sent back to.

OP
OP
TheFallenSaboteur
Oct 27, 2017
There is a really great fanedit to Terminator 3 called Terminator 3: The Coming storm which changes a slight part of the plot to make this happen. In the original T3, the virus that is attacking the US defense grid is just some normal current-time virus, and that's why they let skynet take over. But in T3: The Coming Storm, they try to address the paradox regarding Judgement day being averted in T2 by explaining that the TX's primary mission was to upload a virus that spurs skynet into existence. So, the change is that the virus in T3 is of future skynet origin. It's a super slight change, but it makes it work so much better.

So, in a round about way, as skynet is the one that launched the nukes, in that edit, they did just what you asked.
“Take a god damn breather” Op says
oh that sounds pretty good. I might watch that lol

Krejlooc

Indie Game Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
oh that sounds pretty good. I might watch that lol
T3: The Coming Storm is really one of the best fan edits ever. It's addition through subtraction, it's ridiculous how removing just a few things makes it a way, way better movie. The main goal of the edit is to remove all the light-hearted and comedic stuff, change some music, and adjust some color grade to make it match the tone and feel of T1 and T2. So like, the T-800 is no longer chatty, no longer puts on silly glasses, is super serious all the time, etc. They also remove a lot of the goofier non-terminator robot fighting stuff, change some key details about motives, etc. It's honestly a terrific edit. I walked out of theaters after seeing T3 the first time and was upset and thought it sucked, where as I will sit down and watch The Coming Storm of my own volition because I legit think it's a good movie. Not great, mind you, it still is T3 at heart, but it feels much more correct.

OP
OP
TheFallenSaboteur
Oct 27, 2017
T3: The Coming Storm is really one of the best fan edits ever. It's addition through subtraction, it's ridiculous how removing just a few things makes it a way, way better movie. The main goal of the edit is to remove all the light-hearted and comedic stuff, change some music, and adjust some color grade to make it match the tone and feel of T1 and T2. So like, the T-800 is no longer chatty, no longer puts on silly glasses, is super serious all the time, etc. They also remove a lot of the goofier non-terminator robot fighting stuff, change some key details about motives, etc. It's honestly a terrific edit. I walked out of theaters after seeing T3 the first time and was upset and thought it sucked, where as I will sit down and watch The Coming Storm of my own volition because I legit think it's a good movie. Not great, mind you, it still is T3 at heart, but it feels much more correct.
This really does interest me because T3 is my least favorite Terminator, even below Savation and Genisys, for the points you mentioned that have been changed in that edit. Is it in youtube?

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
There would be millions of records to cross examine which skynet could do in an instant to find her.

The real reason they didn't know? Because the movie was made before the mass spread of information and it didn't cross their minds.

Krejlooc

Indie Game Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
An example of how The Coming Storm changes T3, one of the most infamous scenes originally:

how it is in The Coming Storm:

The end of the clip from The Coming Storm is the end of the scene. No putting on silly glasses moment, no actual talking to the hand. They also cut some goofy reaction shots, like the silly one of Arnold turning and spotting the dancer in the bar, or the scenes where the women cheer when Arnold goes on stage.

The whole edit is full of stuff like that.

Krejlooc

Indie Game Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This really does interest me because T3 is my least favorite Terminator, even below Savation and Genisys, for the points you mentioned that have been changed in that edit. Is it in youtube?
You'll have to find it online somewhere, I saw it like 10+ years ago online so no clue where to get it these days.

I'm trying to find a list of changes, because the change log was like a mile long. Like hundreds of edits to the movie.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
And risks erasing its own existence? Nuking a whole city has too many consequences.

Plus you can only send living being back in time. Anything non-flesh doesn't go pass through.
With the crappy time travel on display in Terminator it doesn't matter. They could have sent a Terminator to a site with prehistoric humans, had that dude rule them because what would they do with stones and shit, and taught them to build Skynet themselves.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
With the crappy time travel on display in Terminator it doesn't matter. They could have sent a Terminator to a site with prehistoric humans, had that dude rule them because what would they do with stones and shit, and taught them to build Skynet themselves.
The first two films' time travel is entirely fine. It's a closed loop in which the future cannot be changed. The sequels screwed up by not understanding that, of course, but the Cameron-directed films' don't have that problem.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
even in 2019 tracing a place of residence in the 1980s is ... not easy. i've been trying to find my childhood home on google earth vr for years, finally got it looking through a bunch of my grandma's postal she horded for whatever reason

OP
OP
TheFallenSaboteur
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite changes is when it removes music or changes it to music that was in T2. Changing music in the movie has a surprisingly enormous effect on changing the tone of the movie. It all feels much, much more serious.
Oh yeah definitely. Without a good OST, even the best scenes fall apart. Can have a dramatic effect on scenes. I love that.

-shadow-

Oct 25, 2017
An example of how The Coming Storm changes T3, one of the most infamous scenes originally:

how it is in The Coming Storm:

The end of the clip from The Coming Storm is the end of the scene. No putting on silly glasses moment, no actual talking to the hand. They also cut some goofy reaction shots, like the silly one of Arnold turning and spotting the dancer in the bar, or the scenes where the women cheer when Arnold goes on stage.

The whole edit is full of stuff like that.
Sue me, I love these terribles jokes spread throughout the film. I will never stop laughing at those glasses. It's such a crazy silly joke, and I bloody love it.

Krejlooc

Indie Game Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sue me, I love these terribles jokes spread throughout the film. I will never stop laughing at those glasses. It's such a crazy silly joke, and I bloody love it.
sir, you are sued.

The edit does more than just changing the tone, though, it also tries it's hardest to fix all the inconsistencies and plotholes regarding the time loop. Like all dates are removed entirely, so nothing contradicts anymore.

They also rework the opening in a really awesome way that just fits better.

I'm trying not to oversell it, because it's still T3, but man it's so much better than it was originally. Even if you liked the comedy. Like, removing the really awful CGI does wonders.

DiipuSurotu

Oct 25, 2017
France
sir, you are sued.

The edit does more than just changing the tone, though, it also tries it's hardest to fix all the inconsistencies and plotholes regarding the time loop. Like all dates are removed entirely, so nothing contradicts anymore.

I'm trying not to oversell it, because it's still T3, but man it's so much better than it was originally. Even if you liked the comedy. Like, removing the really awful CGI does wonders.
We need a remaster of the edit with Furlong deepfaked in

-shadow-

Oct 25, 2017
I'LL SEE YOU IN COURT, MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I might give it a watch some day, I get why people dislike 3, but man do I love it. The action is awesome, even if there is zero justification for the film to exist. That car chase is pure madness from beginning until flip, man that CG has aged terribly...

Krejlooc

Indie Game Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I might give it a watch some day, I get why people dislike 3, but man do I love it. The action is awesome, even if there is zero justification for the film to exist. That car chase is pure madness from beginning until flip, man that CG has aged terribly...
Oh that flip is still in, I'm talking about the weird silver super smooth robots near the end that they fight. They're all completely removed. That is some CGI that really aged very poorly.

-shadow-

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to rewatch the film soon again, so I'll keep an eye on them. Because I can't remember much CG that I thought was terrible except for that truck.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if Sarah never called her friend and left a message.

The future would have been different.
the original script had the terminator verify Sarah’s identity by digging in each victims thigh to locate a piece of shrapnel that skynet knew of from a medical record.

In the final film you still see her receive the leg wound in the factory at the end

Krejlooc

Indie Game Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to rewatch the film soon again, so I'll keep an eye on them. Because I can't remember much CG that I thought was terrible except for that truck.
just to refresh your memory:

They keep in the robots that were practical effects, as those look way better, but the ones that are entirely CGI are removed.