• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

His Dark Materials TV Series |OT| UK - BBC One, Sundays; RoW - HBO, Mondays [See spoiler guide in OP]

silkysmooth

Oct 25, 2017
They touch on it briefly during the ceremony for Tony Costa when his daemon settled on a hawk but yeah it wasn't explained that well

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Watched the 1st episode last night, it impressed the hell outta me and my bro
Definitely checking the books and the new trilogy

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I know absolutely nothing about this world or the books, but I'm a sucker for fantastical worlds and all the stuff with the daemon's, the dust, magisterium and the Alethiometer have me enthralled. Another show I'll have to follow.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
Good first episode. The production values are on point. But the pacing feels a bit rushed.

The actress playing Lyra is perfect tho

Mortemis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well that easily sucked me in. Really enjoyed it. All of the fantasy elements were great and have gotten my curiosity. I haven’t read any of the books from this series, and it while it did feel too fast, I didn’t feel too lost, and I’m sure this’ll dive in more as we go.

Best thing about this was that opener. So good.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta stay in budget. There are more in the further shots because they don't need as much detail.
I know but it threw my girlfriend and I off the entire time when the only daemons you see were the main characters. Also I gotta start pronouncing it "Dee-mons". I've been saying "day-mans" for like 12 years!!

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
THIS WAS SO GOOD. Aaaaahhh I’m so happy!

Asriel is obviously the most changed character from the book and not generally what I expect of Asriel (and Daniel Craig was so imposing), but I like McAvoy’s take anyway.

My general take is that
like Mrs. Coulter already does in the book, they’re just getting in some brief benevolence with Asriel as well before unleashing the monsters and going off the rails. McAvoy comes off as stern but kind of a nice-ish guy right now. Sorry Roger.

SO EXCITED FOR MORE, WHY CAN’T THIS BE A BINGE SHOW!

Last edited:

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Can't really ask for much more it seems really promising. They pushed through a lot, but I didn't see anything they missed that can't be covered as the journey progresses. Not enough Pan in the episode, but we'll get plenty in the hours to come. They didn't connect the Gyptians to Lyra that well besides the letter from Asriel about Lyra stealing Ma Costa's boat, but again that can be smoothed over if the scenes to come are handled well.

I can't wait for next week!

Does Lord Asriel really depend on a funding grant to try and save the world?
Perhaps. The Magisterium has a pretty tight hold on things. That's why they made such a big deal about Jordan college being the only safe place for Lyra as well as being a shield behind which Asriel can get his work done.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Why does lyras ferret change color?
He was a moth and a bird at a couple points too! The white ermine is his “favourite”, though.

Already explained by others, but children’s daemons can be whatever until the child hits puberty and the daemon finds its fixed form (signifying the type of person the child will be as an adult).

Growing up, coming of age and discovering your true self metaphor.

Last edited:

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
THEY FUCKING NAILED IT.

Apart from some rushed scenes/dialogue, it was a damn great first episode. Music, visuals, writing, acting, everything. And the opening is the best I've seen since Game of Thrones.

I hope it stays winning and does great numbers.

hydruxo

Oct 25, 2017
They did an amazing job with the daemon CGI. They look incredible.

Also, Dafne Keen as Lyra is pitch perfect.

Octodad

Oct 26, 2017
Loved the episode. So far so good. I really don’t have concerns about them pulling off book 1 but book 3 is going to be wild to see how they execute it.

Also the intro of my book literally says in the prologue Daemon is pronounced Demon.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
Apart from some rushed scenes/dialogue, it was a damn great first episode. Music, visuals, writing, acting, everything. And the opening is the best I've seen since Game of Thrones.
I neglected to mention this: I'm generally pretty sick of every last show having "that" opening but I actually really like His Dark Materials'.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Never read the books, but that was an enjoyable first episode. The production values and overall aesthetic are really impressive.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Where the fuck are all the daemons
I noticed that lol they keep disappearing and appearing again. Like when she got on the train without Pan and then suddenly he's already on the train seat waiting for her. TV CGI budgets unfortunately, glad they look pretty good though.

AegonSnake

Oct 25, 2017
i thought it was incredibly boring. a slog to get through. i dont like the casting of the Logan girl. ive seen much better child actors. the interstellar girl wouldve been much better. I also dont know how you go from Nicole Kidman to this chick. Daniel Craig to James McAvoy is fine, but she is a major downgrade.

Despite the amazing production values, it doesnt feel like an HBO show. HBO pilots are so much better. Watchmen and Westworld pilots were thrilling from start to finish. Chernobyl too. this pretty much meanders on for the entire 60 minute episode. reminded me of those generic Amazon prime and netflix tv shows. big budget but nothing particularly amazing.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
I’m an avid Fantasy/Sci Fi media consumer - and I found it boring and confusing as someone who did not read the books. The world (which was technically great looking) was not well introduced. I’ll keep watching but I was not excited to watch the next episode.

Darlinggirl05

Aug 14, 2019
AAAAAAA it was really good cant wait for more, only watched the movie and that was a LONG time ago so ill be going into this blind, i love love love LOVE Fiction/fantasy and scifi and it always fills my heart to know channels with the talent and budget pick these kind of stories up so i just cant wait for more <3 <3 <3

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
i thought it was incredibly boring. a slog to get through. i dont like the casting of the Logan girl. ive seen much better child actors. the interstellar girl wouldve been much better. I also dont know how you go from Nicole Kidman to this chick. Daniel Craig to James McAvoy is fine, but she is a major downgrade.

Despite the amazing production values, it doesnt feel like an HBO show. HBO pilots are so much better. Watchmen and Westworld pilots were thrilling from start to finish. Chernobyl too. this pretty much meanders on for the entire 60 minute episode. reminded me of those generic Amazon prime and netflix tv shows. big budget but nothing particularly amazing.
The show is just distributed by HBO internationally, it is a BBC show.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Completely disagree. Coulter was acted great.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Completely disagree. Coulter was acted great.

Yes, Ruth Wilson was no doubt the best thing in the episode for me, I am sure she will prove that post very wrong in the next episodes. Still I am sad to say I was generally disappointed in what I saw. I expected it to be a bit more... ambitious. I'll keep watching, though.

Kest920

Oct 27, 2017

It's a BBC show not an HBO show two different Networks.

Octodad

Oct 26, 2017
Yah, I just disagree with this completely. I thought Lyra was fantastic. Have you read the books? I think comparing it to the other movie is a mistake on a lot of levels.

Octodad

Oct 26, 2017
havent read the books. didnt like the movie. only saw bits of it anyway.
I think that's a big part of it. The movie really botched a ton of things. I think that includes the characterizations. I can see how Daniel Craig would be compelling, but I don't feel like MacAvoy's characterization of Asriel is off.

Octodad

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, Ruth Wilson was no doubt the best thing in the episode for me, I am sure she will prove that post very wrong in the next episodes. Still I am sad to say I was generally disappointed in what I saw. I expected it to be a bit more... ambitious. I'll keep watching, though.
One other thing I'll say. I thought the books began kind of muted as well. It's really about halfway though book 1 that the fantasy elements and plot really start to emerge as something special.

AegonSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's a big part of it. The movie really botched a ton of things. I think that includes the characterizations. I can see how Daniel Craig would be compelling, but I don't feel like MacAvoy's characterization of Asriel is off.
I was fine with McAvoy. He had some good scenes in the pilot. I thought the rest of the episode was a tad boring. couldve used a big setpiece or two.

Octodad

Oct 26, 2017
I was fine with McAvoy. He had some good scenes in the pilot. I thought the rest of the episode was a tad boring. couldve used a big setpiece or two.
I can absolutely see that. However it is consistent with the book trajectory. They could have reworked it for TV I guess, but it would kind of spoil the mystery unfolding like it should.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, I' m surprised at the negativity here and I could not disagree more with some of you, I don't know if that's because I've read the books a long time ago...

As a pilot, I thought it was perfectly balanced between showing and telling, suggesting and hiding. Acting is also about establishing some character traits and most of the cast did that brilliantly, even though some choices deviate a bit from the books. It doesn't mean you are not getting more "subtle" performances later on.

About pacing, viewing the episode as a narrative unit in itself is more tricky with an adaptation than with original content like Breaking Bad ,so the only real complaint to me for now was that some scenes/lines felt out of place. I think that's more of a narrative choice/editing issue than about event pacing or dialogue writing though. They still did a good job.

I hope the rest of the season can confirm my impressions and change your minds.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Every single person in the books has daemons in various forms and sizes. I was kinda expecting animals everywhere
Unless you handed them a 150 million dollar budget that's not going to happen. As it is, this is the most expensive BBC show ever.
If the trade off is crowd scenes aren't filled with daemons, but the lead characters' daemons look great, I'll take it.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
For those asking where the daemons are:
According to someone on the Digital Spy forums, Pullman said this on a podcast.

> "The daemons should only be visible when they say or do something. I Told the BBC designers that they needed to be restrained because too much emphasis on the daemons would have got in the way of the story telling."

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Dafne Keen did good in the episode, much better than in Logan.

Another

Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Decent enough first episode... no clue why they're in such a hurry, though. Big fan of the books, hoping they'll do them justice!

No idea why they decided to ape GoT's opening style though, it feels weird.

They're being way too obvious with the direction Coulter's character arc is heading in the promotional material. A shame since the actress is actually doing a good job...

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Never read the books but this looked promising so I checked it out. Pretty good intro. I’m in for this. Definitely looks like things ramp up later too.