• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

His Dark Materials TV Series |OT| UK - BBC One, Sundays; RoW - HBO, Mondays [See spoiler guide in OP]

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I have a friend who worked on this, I'm glad the end product has turned out great. Almost makes the shit she had to put up with worth it.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
The BBC preview feels like it was for the whole season.
I assume it was the trailer for the whole season. It looked like exactly the same trailer they released online a few weeks back, but I'm not entirely sure.
Odds are the preview was showcasing parts of the whole series and not just the next episode.
That's the conclusion we came to, otherwise this could only have been a three-parter

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ep 1 is actually up on HBO Portugal, I expected tuesday only since it wont air until monday night in NA right?

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I note that the series has already diverged from The Book of Dust, or at least excised the characters who overlap.

Both Malcolm and Alice should have appeared in this first episode, if they were going to appear at all.

Oct 25, 2017
England
I note that the series has already diverged from The Book of Dust, or at least excised the characters who overlap.

Both Malcolm and Alice should have appeared in this first episode, if they were going to appear at all.
You probably don't want to go introducing characters that aren't even in the trilogy itself. We don't even know if they're going to be able to adapt the Book of Dust.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
UK
The preview trailer at the end was particularly egregious because it was framed as like 'Next time on His Dark Materials'. It showed about 15 seconds of stuff from episode 2 and then pretty chronologically spoiled Lyra's story for a good amount of the season.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah me too.

Now riddle me this: Where do I know the Cardinal guy the black fella was talking to in the Magisterium from?

Also the Oxford don boss guy was in The Wire, yes?
I haven't seen the wire but Lord Faa is played by the same actor as Salador Saan from Game of Thrones (pirate Captain guy who's friends with David Seaworth)

Geoff

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen the wire but Lord Faa is played by the same actor as Salador Saan from Game of Thrones (pirate Captain guy who's friends with David Seaworth)
Interesting but not him. The bloke in the priest's outfit who was chatting to the black guy in the big concrete baddie's building.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah me too.

Now riddle me this: Where do I know the Cardinal guy the black fella was talking to in the Magisterium from?

Also the Oxford don boss guy was in The Wire, yes?
I’m not sure where you’ll have seen him, but he’s the father of Daphne Keen who plays Lyra which is cool!

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
And the other Gyptian elderman with the big beard is Jeor Mormont (James Cosmo)

(It's Freamon from The Wire)

EDIT: Yep it really is spelled like that!

Last edited:

Geoff

Oct 27, 2017
I’m not sure where you’ll have seen him, but he’s the father of Daphne Keen who plays Lyra which is cool!
Armed with this information I have discovered I knew him from The Crown, where he played one of the advisers to Her Maj. Not TOMMY or the young one, the other one.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
Big book spoilers ahoy:

I also note that Billy Costa
seems to have been amalgamated with Tony Makarios. In the first episode, Billy calls his demon Ratter, which is the name of Tony's demon in the book. Bad luck for Billy, considering he survives the North in the book, and Tony is not so lucky.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Cool, there's a thread for this!
Loved the first episode. I haven't been this into a series since a long time. The movie was so bad, I'm really happy that this series is doing better justice to the source material.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Big book spoilers ahoy:

I also note that Billy Costa
seems to have been amalgamated with Tony Makarios. In the first episode, Billy calls his demon Ratter, which is the name of Tony's demon in the book. Bad luck for Billy, considering he survives the North in the book, and Tony is not so lucky.
Great spot, hadn’t clocked that!

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Tom Hooper was a monster, the hours were long and torturous and it all took waaaaaaay longer than it should've. Made my friend contemplate quitting the field she works in altogether.

Second season has been a lot smoother, as far as I have been told.
First seasons are often a clusterfuck until they get some footing, not entirely surprised

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
So I just learned that Phillip Pullman the writer of the series is atheist and critical of religion but also a huge admirer of William Blake

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I though it was a good start and really promising for the rest of the show. As always though, some growing pains in that pilot: I thought it went by way too fast, which is a shame because Lyra at Oxford is such a great part of that story, and is primed to take its time while establishing the setting and her character. But I get that you want to hook newcomers, and get things moving so that we can end on Lyra leaving in 45 minutes. Other thing that wasn''t perfect is surprisingly the dialogue in parts. Some of it felt awkward, especially when Asriel is leaving in his airship or when the master explains what he saw in the alethiometer. Thankfully most of it was fine and as soon as Mrs Coulter arrived it was smooth sailing from that point.

So not perfect, but pilots rarely are and it's more than enough to make me excited for the rest.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no shit. And Milton.

Without wanting to give anything away there are some fairly clear anti-religious themes running though the narrative
Which is kinda funny for me that when Golden Compass came out I mixed things up and thought it was a Chronicles of Narnia movie or something.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
It was an OK first episode. Just OK. A little rushed and inelegantly plotted. But it looks good, sounds good, and Ruth Wilson has already won me over.

TDLink

Oct 25, 2017
Which is a major issue when we are dealing with two or so child protags.
They're not children in the new books. They should age appropriately.

Sorry for asking but this is a good 'starting point' for one interested in the series?
Yes, this is adapting the first book. If you'd like to read instead though, Northern Lights is the first book. It is sometimes also published as The Golden Compass, which is what the failed movie adaptation was called as well.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
isn't Pullman currently working on a sequel trilogy?
It's a trilogy called The Book of Dust - the first book (released in 2018) is set before the events of the His Dark Materials trilogy, the second book is set after His Dark Materials and was released a few weeks ago, the third book is presumably being written.

Oct 27, 2017
I recorded this last night. Will hopefully get time to watch it later. I didn't really like the books but I should enjoy this adaptation as I recall a pretty good adventure buried in there.

Oct 25, 2017
England
It's a trilogy called The Book of Dust - the first book (released in 2018) is set before the events of the His Dark Materials trilogy, the second book is set after His Dark Materials and was released a few weeks ago, the third book is presumably being written.
Right, so even if it’s one season a year they’d still have to take a few years off before they could film the sequel trilogy. Lyra is 20 in Secret Commonwealth, after all, and Dafne Keen is only 14 right now.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So how are folks feeling about the first episode so far? It has potential?
Looks to be pretty damn solid. Ofc the first episode can't really tell you much. The adaptation looks to be faithful, the budget is high and it shows, the actors and acting is good and the credits of the lead writer are great. From all sounds of things we have another entertaining fantasy show on our hands that's also guaranteed to not get cancelled after one season.

AndyB1974

Oct 25, 2017
Overnight viewing figures for HDM on BBC1 were 7.2m with a 32% audience share which is an excellent result. Going to be interesting over the coming weeks to see whether the show can maintain those sort of figures, it's usually the case that there's a drop off after the first episode of a new show where those who maybe just tuned in out of curiosity gradually drift away if it's not working for them. It does have a very strong lead-in show in the Strictly Results show which got 9.7m, so we'll see. Anyway, the Beeb will be very happy with that. Hopefully the ratings continue to be high and S3 is comissioned.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Kind of a strange package I thought. Havent read these books since I was 14 (30 now, lol) so one the one hand I found it an eerie thing to see that it looked like my vague memory of the book. But I was also caught off by the strange, hurried pacing, weird dialogue and wooden acting.

My memory of the first book is it's a lot of confused internal monologues by Lyra working towards an understanding of the dangers of the world around her, which sets up the real big stakes in books 2 and 3 and her growth also. The tv episode seems in a hurry to just get to the point, probably because the first book doesnt have a lot of action. At least, I think that this is what I remember.

It just seems harder to get a grasp of these characters here, or they seem a bit more thin on screen. But this is one episode and cross media adaptations always have to transform things a bit

Alethiometer, I remember that though and how to spell it lol

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
They've changed up the structure of the book for TV, originally it only follows Lyra and things are seen from her tiny perspective until it grows bigger, but I see why they changed it up. I don't know if it works better, but it is necessary for a big TV show to follow more than one character, as well as more explicit exposition of things that gradually appeared in the books. I assume the shift forward in technology from Victorian era to somewhere around mid 20th century is for ease of filming too, that locations can mostly be used without much alteration needed.
Dafne Keen is really perfect casting, she can act, unlike too many kid actors, and she is earnest but with lots of fiery impudence as Lyra should have. The biggest and most welcome thing I noticed reading the books is Lyra is actually written like a child, not just a small adult as too many fictional kids are. She has limited understanding and maturity, and is often non-maliciously selfish or lacking in perspective as children often are. I think Keen hits those notes without trying hard. Her giant eyes are a blessing for performances, very expressive.

James McAvoy is definitely a little different as Asriel though, he doesn't have the intimidating larger than life presence Daniel Craig had (Asriel is really not a very pleasant character at all, McAvoy comes off more likable), but while Ruth Wilson doesn't physically resemble Mrs. Coulter, she's nailing the character so far.
Props to the VFX team, the use of CG is seamless, I'm certain many shots were enhanced but I never noticed any, and the daemons look good and natural in there.

Good start, anyway.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I love the books and was worried about this after some reviews from critics I admire but I was pleasantly surprised about how good episode 1 was. It's a beautiful adaptation and has real potential.

silkysmooth

Oct 25, 2017
Still reading The Secret Commonwealth right now but I gave it serious consideration to go from the first Book of Dust book straight back into Golden Compass in anticipation of this.

Fully expect to read them all again once I finish that solely because I think I am going to enjoy this so much

Oct 27, 2017
Why does lyras ferret change color?
It's something that wasn't really explained all that well, and something you'll only really get if you read the books. It's been quite a while since I've read them, but if memory serves, a child's daemon basically is constantly shifting from one animal form to another. The daemon takes on its final "fixed" form when the child becomes an adult, and their final forms supposedly hint at the character of the person they are paired with (e.g. dogs for people who follow authority figures, etc.).