Hey Capcom, where are my First Person Resident Evil games and remakes at?

Would you have liked for RE3 to be in First Person?

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I found a few good melee showcases for RE5 that showcase how the third-person animations let them express various aspects of the character's personality and traits.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. Third person stays third person is a staple of the series. Resident evil 7 is shit for that.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I will be shocked if anything from 7 is ever mentioned again
Lol, RE8 will continue the plot lines left over from 7.

Not sure what world you're living in but Capcom already stated that RE7 is the start of a new "series" for Resident Evil.

RE2 and RE3 remakes use much from RE7 and continue the new art style.

I think your mistaking your personal opinion for the reality of the situation.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It only failed to hit sales targets because RE6 sold so much in comparison and so they set their targets way too high. Had RE7 followed RE2, it likely wouldn't have been held to such a target.

I like that we live in a time where 6.6 million sales is "struggling commercially"
RE6 also failed to hit targets, even though it sold a ton. RE7's targets were modest in comparison and it still failed to meet them.

RE7 has sold a ton now but mostly as a budget bin title. It struggled upfront and without question has been less successful than RE2.

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
Voted “no” since there was not a “hell no” option. As a fan of the series since the very beginning, I must say that RE7 is the only game in the series that I honestly did not care for and have no desire to ever play again, the first person perspective being one of the reasons why.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Third person > First person RE games any day.
Third person>first person in general.

I could easily see RE3 being a test bed for whether or not they can have player choice in regards to the camera angle without breaking the game, however.

Voted “no” since there was not a “hell no” option. As a fan of the series since the very beginning, I must say that RE7 is the only game in the series that I honestly did not care for and have no desire to ever play again, the first person perspective being one of the reasons why.
Hell, I skipped RE7 for that reason alone. No option for third person put it on my ignore list.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
RE6 also failed to hit targets, even though it sold a ton. RE7's targets were modest in comparison and it still failed to meet them.

RE7 has sold a ton now but mostly as a budget bin title. It struggled upfront and without question has been less successful than RE2.
You're really over selling it and making it seem like Capcom considered it a flop considering they they recouped their budget a week after it released and then sold a few million more after. Not to mention the game got favorable reviews and was nominated for quite a few awards by year end.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
No, Thank you.
I for one think these remakes are a safe haven, and REmake 3 being in Third Person was an absolute must.

Yet, I freaking loved Resident Evil 7, and I don't mind at all RE8 continuing with the First Person View, after all it is a new direction that started with 7. I sitll wonder how the hell they would top RE7 in terms of horror and the Baker's Family.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
First person is the major reason i'm turned off from Cyberpunk 2077. Its okay if you're playing a create a character or a cipher like the protag of RE7 but the appeal of these games is seeing the character. People like SEEING Claire/Leon/Jill even if they are immersed and imagining its them. It'd be a waste of costumes/character design/animations to only see that stuff during cut scenes in favor of floating hands.

Why would you want to hide this beautiful character model for the majority of the game?

InsaneTiger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The first person perspective didn’t necessarily make things more scary or horrifying. I was equally creeped out or scared in the behind RE2make as well. But like most RE games, the game moves toward more action and you become more empowered and less scared as you get closer to the end.

Last edited:

Leviathan

Oct 28, 2017
No, first-person is, with very few exceptions, a waste of cool character designs. I like to watch my character experience the story, not bob around in space.

Still mourning Cyberpunk and Outer Worlds.

Tatsu91

Apr 7, 2019
I don't understand. Resident Evil 7 was the franchise's long awaited return to form, and one of the most praised aspects of that game was the first person camera it pioneered into the franchise.

Or, did it? Because Capcom sure is acting as if this game didn't happen. With RE2, they went with a third person camera which... Eh, Capcom likes to change things up so it's fine. But with RE3, I really hoped they'd change it once again by making it first person and having each of the remakes follow Resident Evil's own history by having the first one have fixed cameras, the second an over-the-shoulder view and the third one by having a First Person camera.

The reveal was such a blue-baller, too. Showing first person footage after everyone figured this was RE3 was definitely a great troll, but they got me hyped for a second there. I hope there's a first person mode at the very least. What do you think?
to keep it close to the original as possible a FPS version would not work i am hoping 8 is FPS though again because that was some great work they did with that

Naga

Aug 29, 2019
I hope RE never goes first person again (outside of VR spinoffs or things like that I mean), and RE3 as a first person remake would have been awful.

Aokiji

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
remakes are made to re-create the original. the new RE might be first person again. Why would they turn the remake into a FPS? It wouldnt make sense. Also they never showed first person gameplay, they showed a cinematic from Jill's perspective. If you thought that meant it was gonna be first person that's on you lol

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
You're really over selling it and making it seem like Capcom considered it a flop considering they they recouped their budget a week after it released and then sold a few million more after. Not to mention the game got favorable reviews and was nominated for quite a few awards by year end.
I never called it a flop, it just sold below expectations initially. It's not the unqualified hit you implied, especially with that disingenuous RE2 comparison (yes it sold more... at a third the price and 3 times the time) and saying RE6 inflated targets (it didn't, if anything it tempered them somewhat). There was definitely some "struggle" there upfront even if the numbers are impressive now.

To give a better idea of the numbers:

RE5 FY01: 4.4m (2.3m target)
RE5 LTD: 11.3m

RE6 FY01: 4.9m (6m target, originally 5m)
RE6 LTD: 9.2m

RE7 FY01: 3.5m (4m target)
RE7 FY02: 1.5m (2m target)
RE7 LTD: 6.8m

RE2R FY01: 4.2m (no target given but exceeded them)
RE2R LTD: 4.7m

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
Even if Capcom at some point wanted to make RE2 and 3 in first person, they wouldn't because the fans would be livid .

NemesisTheory

Jun 15, 2019
I don't think RE3 lends itself well to first person perspective.

I do however think there's a very good chance RE8 will be first person again.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
Resident Evil is nothing without its characters, how can you get attached to a character that is basically a camera (First person)?

Son of Sparda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thank God that RE3 is not first person.

They can do whatever they want with RE8, don't have to shove FP view in their remakes tho.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
The first person perspective is cool for the mainline series for now, but when it comes to remakes they have to be 3rd person.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Happy to have the Remakes keep the 3rd person perspective, but if they do make a new RE I would enjoy a change back to first person...

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
Hell, I skipped RE7 for that reason alone. No option for third person put it on my ignore list.
That was my initial reaction. Then I thought hey, I was worried about RE4 at first, and it became one of my favorite games of all time. So I went in with an open mind.

I was sorely disappointed. I know a lot of people love it, and that’s great. However, nothing about it was for me. 🤷‍♂️

Denman

Apr 21, 2018
I don't think RE3 would have worked in FP unless it became some bastardized FPS.

Games originally made in 3rd person aren't going to translate into 1st person without major, major revisions.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I would have been really disappointed if RE3 was first person.

Then again, RE7 is probably my least favorite from the mainline Resident Evil games.
Same. I'm playing it now and it doesn't feel like a RE game at all. Finding it hard to get invested in playing as Ethan when I haven't seen him.

Still need to finish it though. Only a couple of hours in but despite being quite tense at timed this isn't what I want.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
RE7 should be remade in third person.

And OTS RE games should be remade in isometric perspective with tank controls : v

Timmy00

Oct 27, 2017
Huh the hate for RE7 is strange, coming from someone who loves all the styles that RE games had over the years. Though I'm fine with RE3 being OTS again (It's what I prefer for the remakes tbh), it'd be nice if they had optional FP and fixed camera modes but that'll just be on pc via mods. Plus I imagine it's really hard to design all three styles properly in one game. I hope RE8 gives FP another shot though, RE7 was pretty special and fun even with its small flaws.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Indifferent with REmake 3 but RE8 should be an FPS game as there is way too much life in that direction to not go further.
RE7 further sold at least 6.8 million copies and is the 3rd bestselling RE game. The audience is there.
RE6 solid about 9 mil and RE5 sold about 10 mil, so it´s fair to say that 3rd persona RE is what the fans and Capcom want. They mostly needed next-gen remasters to move past RE7, so there is that. Regardless of that. Every mainline RE game since RE4 was a hit and highly pofitable.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Of course, but still not as drastic as it would be going to 1st person.

All I’m saying is a 1st person game built around the first person experience is better than trying to rework a 3rd person game into first person.
The original was a fixed camera game. They're already have to completely redesign it.

Hinchy

Oct 28, 2017
Denver, CO
The Resident Evil fanbase kinda gives me Sonic fanbase vibes in how fractured it seems to be.

You have some people wanting RE to be survival horror, you have some people wanting RE to be action focused, you have some people wanting it to be third person, others first person, etc
when you get down to it it makes perfect sense

they're both franchises that have multiple beloved games that are NOT entertaining and appealing for the same reasons (unless you want to look me in the eyes and tell me the core appeal of Sonic 2 is the same as Sonic Adventure 2 lol)

(im not commenting on the quality of sa2 as a game just saying its inarguably beloved by a chunk of fans)

EDIT: oh and MAN the later games have the same pivot towards ultra-cheeseball storytelling too....

Last edited: