Hey Capcom, where are my First Person Resident Evil games and remakes at?

Would you have liked for RE3 to be in First Person?

• Total voters

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully with psvr support. 😱
Wouldn't be shocked. Depending on when it releases I do wonder if it would be a PSVR cross gen game. Like supporting PSVR (since we know PS5 is BC with PSVR original) but really just as a hold over till PSVR2.

Edit: It would also totally support PCVR as well this time.

Mezoly

Oct 25, 2017
I loved RE7 and want RE8 to be in FP mode.

But if RE2 and RE3 remakes were in FP I would have been super disappointed.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want Resi 3 to be first-person, but I'd be happy with more new games in that style, or for instance, reimaginings of spin-offs like Survivor or Umbrella Chronicles done as a traditional FPS. There's a lot of ground to cover and tons of old or new ideas to revisit if they want to do straight FPSs, but I would rather they don't interfere with the mainline entries.

JDFaulky

Oct 25, 2017
RE3 is best left in TPS mode, but it would have been a cool take if it was FPS.

I really hope RE8 is FPS though. I loved RE7 and thought the switch was a refreshing take.

hughesta

Oct 25, 2017
RE definitely needs to have another big entry in first person, hopefully RE8.

RE3 should follow the groundwork laid by RE2. I want more first person games, RE7 is one of the best in the franchise, but a remake of a fan-favorite a year after a third person remake of a fan-favorite should stay in third person.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
New games in the series in FPS would be fine, but I definitely wanted remakes of old games to be in TPS viewpoint as they've been doing so far. Maybe make it a toggle if the game allows it, that'd be fine.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I am hopeful RE8 will return to a first person experience. There is still lots of potential for such a game. Hopefully a trilogy.

As for REmake 3, I like that they have a third person view instead.

Raoh

Oct 27, 2017
RE7 is not that great and FPS RE games aren't as good as third person ones. The beginning of the game was the best part of it.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I enjoyed RE7 immensely, but I feel one of the strengths of the RE series is its endearing and memorable characters, and first-person completely squanders that strength. The only really great character in 7 was Jack Baker. Ethan, the protagonist, is extremely boring, even if he has one or two decent quips.

Yokijirou

Oct 27, 2017
RE7 I feel had a lot more to do with Sony and PSVR than a return to RE. Seems possibly that Sony gave Capcom, who were struggling at that point, some extra cash to make RE but with PSVR, hence the first person perspective.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
RE7 I feel had a lot more to do with Sony and PSVR than a return to RE. Seems possibly that Sony gave Capcom, who were struggling at that point, some extra cash to make RE but with PSVR, hence the first person perspective.
I don't think there's any evidence to support that Sony/PSVR was what drove them to FPS.

They wanted to go back to the roots of the horror of the series and the fact that the original design for RE1 was First Person, it was really hearkening back to the original ways.

Concept art for RE1's original idea:

Oct 27, 2017
It must suck to be so fixated on camera perspective like some people in here where they'll write off a game entirely if it isn't in the view they want.

Yokijirou

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's any evidence to support that Sony/PSVR was what drove them to FPS.

They wanted to go back to the roots of the horror of the series and the fact that the original design for RE1 was First Person, it was really hearkening back to the original ways.

Concept art for RE1's original idea:

Ooo it would be interesting to see RE1 in full first person (Not like in RE DS where you have to do some weird first person mini games)

I dug some more here is an article with the Producer Masachika Kawata..

Why the transition to a first-person view?
When we decided on the direction of focusing on horror, we thought that having a first-person perspective would be the most effective way to fully immerse the player in the experience. By making the player the main character, we believe they'll be able to have a more personal connection to what's going on and experience survival horror like never before.
I donno it just seems like they really went in with the PSVR, like the kitchen demo was VR only if I recall and everything that was shown at events was VR related.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
I think it's fitting that RE 3 is similar to RE 2 in this regard, would've been strange if this one in particular had been first person. However, I do think first person has a place in RE going forward and I really hope they go back to that with the inevitable RE 8.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Ooo it would be interesting to see RE1 in full first person (Not like in RE DS where you have to do some weird first person mini games)

I dug some more here is an article with the Producer Masachika Kawata..

I donno it just seems like they really went in with the PSVR, like the kitchen demo was VR only if I recall and everything that was shown at events was VR related.
Kitchen was used, IIRC, as a test bed to get early feedback on their VR since they wouldn't need feedback for making the game First person in general.

SnazzyNaz

Nov 11, 2019
I enjoyed RE7 immensely, but I feel one of the strengths of the RE series is its endearing and memorable characters, and first-person completely squanders that strength. The only really great character in 7 was Jack Baker. Ethan, the protagonist, is extremely boring, even if he has one or two decent quips.
What does any of that have to do with the first person prespective?

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
RE3 is fine as a third person.

RE8 better be a 1st person though, as a launch game for ps5/psvr2

Feb 8, 2019
It is BAFFLING the amount of vitriol this thread attracted.
I think it would be a really cool if Remake 3 was First Person. The first remake is fixed camera, the second is over the shoulder and the third is first person. It would be a complete overview of the series' history and would elevate the remakes into a sorta series landmark.

Yokijirou

Oct 27, 2017
Kitchen was used, IIRC, as a test bed to get early feedback on their VR since they wouldn't need feedback for making the game First person in general.
That makes sense. I'm cool either way. A good game is a good game, first person or not. (please give me more VR Capcom, RE7 was intense and immersive VR but lacked that punch in non-VR)

Wing Scarab

Nov 1, 2017
I skipped RE7 because it was in 1st person and I will do the same if any other RE games are in that view point.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
What does any of that have to do with the first person prespective?
Animation is an incredibly powerful way to express a character's personality and traits, and you lose a ton of that by locking the game to first person. Simple stuff, like how the character's walking and running animations are altered based on their health, or the character's outfits changing as the story progresses (See: RE2 w/ Claire giving away her jacket and Leon getting bandaged up after being shot; RE4 w / Leon losing his jacket). The melee attacks in 4/5/6, while often being mechanically similar, give a ton of personality as well.

InsaneTiger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I dislike the gameplay of 5 and 6 (moreso 6, which is atrocious), there is way more characterization of its protagonists in those games than anything 7 offered about Ethan, a guy I had to Google the name for in a game I liked.
This. 7 was a return to more horror but these games always tend toward more action toward the end of the game. Ethan is no memorable at all. RE3 being third person is the right move. OP is bit unhinged for first person RE games.

Jawmuncher

*Dibo Crisis*
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As time goes on, I suspect RE7 might end up a unique black sheep like RE0. Where it’s the only game that offers a certain style.

Oct 25, 2017
RE7 sucked so badly it got good reviews, sold really well, and brought confidence back the series that RE6 ruined and then RE2make proved wasn't a fluke and they actually knew what they were doing.
It's also barely a resident evil game with one enemy type that tanks in quality when you get out of the house and a bucket load of truly awful dlc

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed RE7, but REmake 3 absolutely did not need to be first-person, and I wasn't aware that anyone actually expected it to be immediately after REmake 2 was already third-person.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
RE7 failed to hit sales targets 2 years in a row and aligned it sold significantly less than RE2 has. The game was a mixed success but it struggled commercially.
It only failed to hit sales targets because RE6 sold so much in comparison and so they set their targets way too high. Had RE7 followed RE2, it likely wouldn't have been held to such a target.

I like that we live in a time where 6.6 million sales is "struggling commercially"