Help science fight the Coronavirus! Join the ResetEra [email protected] Team today and donate your computer's CPU and GPU cycles for the cause.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I also signed up for the team. I hardly use my VR-Ready gaming laptop (i7-7700HQ and GTX 1060M 6GB) besides YT and looking up PS Trophy Guides.

o7

cyress8

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
your last location.
Anyone else having issues with unknown downloads? I have not been keeping an eye on each of my PCs and just noticed each one has unknown on every cpu and gpu. Tried restarting each PC remotely, but that does not seem to fix it.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
I just installed and joined, but it doesn't look like I'm able to do anything yet.

It looks like I got something, my GPU is starting to go off. Let's do this!

Last edited:

Sign

Oct 31, 2017
Given that my GPU is notorious for running hot (AMD R290), and not wanting to tax my CPU too hard I am almost grateful for these times where there are no WUs to pull since it gives my system a built in rest.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

They also mention in that video they have actually set up a work unit server to increase the projects total bandwidth which is great.

Apopheniac

Oct 25, 2017
I have this set up on my Android. It's set to breast cancer right now, but when I try to change the active research, the Project Description page gives me an error and says the XML file doesn't have style information. Is there any way to fix this short of reinstalling the app?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
My GPU has been getting WUs pretty regularly now. But haven't gotten a CPU WU in a while.

Slv

Oct 26, 2017
Latvia
Whew, got up to number 4, and only with doing tasks on 2070 Super and 780 Ti, but doing them pretty much 24/7, not doing CPU folding on any of my machines, too intensive.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so I’ve been contributing my old MacBook Pro To this 24/7, but I have no idea how the heck to join the team. Help. I’m old.

Last edited:

uncelestial

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I'm CPU-only because all I have to spare is VMs. Been sad waiting around for WUs!

Also kinda sad how I've done 123 WUs -- the 12th most on the team, but my rank is #156 because of "points" which I don't understand. Oh well! The VMs are probably going to just run and run and run for a long time because they're allotted to me for free from work, and the point is to help, so, onward!

But still, ya had to gamify it!

manzoman96

Oct 25, 2017
My laptop did come with an nvidia graphics card, but maybe it isn't good enough for the program since it isn't detecting it.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
My dad's currently fighting for his life after a massive heart attack and we still don't know if and in what state he'll make it. It feels right to do something to help other ill people.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't received a single work unit in the last day or so. Are they all out again? For a brief period I was getting work units regularly there.

Mar 3, 2019
I like the idea of [email protected], minus the fact that its basically free labor for pharmaceutical companies to create extremely overpriced drugs. Also its supposedly an open source inititave, but they guard their code fiercely and wont let others view it.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just joined with my deskop 750ti and my laptop gtx 1660ti, let's see what i can do

edit: Maaan why did my RX Vega onboard gpu get a WU but by 1660ti didn't?

Last edited:

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I like the idea of [email protected], minus the fact that its basically free labor for pharmaceutical companies to create extremely overpriced drugs. Also its supposedly an open source inititave, but they guard their code fiercely and wont let others view it.
First off, analysing the folding data can give you insights into potential drug candidates. The actual research still has to be done. Agents/antibodies/proteins have to be manufactured, tested, animal model testing, clinical trials... all that still has to be done after the folding. With no cost for you and all the cost for the pharmaceutical companies.

Second, overpriced drugs are a problem of the US healthcare system, not for the rest of the world.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Slipped all the way down to #35 on the team. Sigh. When we started I was like #2, though admittedly that was when there were like ten people on the team.

Oh well, still #1 in work units, if that means anything.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a larger, not Covid-19 related work unit today, probably will have to complete it in the morning as my laptop can overheat otherwise.

Mind's still blown about how powerful Fo[email protected] has gotten over the past few weeks, makes me wonder if it's going to break any more records before this is all over.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I'd love to contribute to this, but I've run into problems.

1. MEDIA PC - I have this sitting idle most of the time so I set it up to work away in the background. I came back to check on it a few hours later, the CPU was running at over 80c and the fan was enormously loud because of it. That was out, as it's in the living room (of course) and is too loud when people are watching stuff. It only has an old C2Q Q9450 and a Radeon HD 7850 in it, anyway.

2. GAMING PC - I'm currently using this all day but I thought since I can't use the media pc I'll leave it running on this pc overnight. Gave it a quick try just now and I'm sorry to say that I'm not comfortable with 80c+ temps again on the CPU and over 100c+ on the GPU (I'd only ever seen it go as high as 81c before, very briefly). Shame as it's much more capable with an i5 4690K and a Radeon RX 5700 XT.

3. LAPTOP - I didn't even bother trying it on this as it's rather old at this point (despite it being capable enough with an i7 3630QM and a GeForce 635M) and just running YouTube videos on it will have it's fans spinning up like crazy. Didn't even consider it.

Sigh.