Help science fight the Coronavirus! Join the ResetEra [email protected] Team today and donate your computer's CPU and GPU cycles for the cause.

Khrn

Oct 27, 2017
That works! Thank you Khrn, that's an interesting bug, would never have thought to try it this way.
It's somehow related to the browser's cache, and that's not stored in Incognito, I think? If you delete your cache before opening web control, it works. It also always works on Firefox and Old Edge. Obviously not good to have to delete your cache so many times, so Incognito is the best choice.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the project will ever switch over to GPU folding exclusively, considering how much quicker GPU users seem to be getting their respective work done.
Seeing my GPU fold literally 20x faster than my CPU does sort of make me question that too. If they need to lighten the load on their servers it might be worth it, but I'm not sure what % of total computation is CPUs. GPUs are certainly the right tool for the job, but if the number of CPUs running it far outstrips the number of GPUs, which seems plausible since some folks are running multiple older PCs without compatible GPUs, then ignoring CPUs would be silly. I'm not sure what kind of hardware they need to be able to handle so many clients, but I can't imagine they'd turn off so much computing potential to save money since this is run by huge research universities.

I wonder if any of nVidia's Turing architecture like the RT cores and tensor cores could be more effectively used in this.

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
I just join. Was about to join team Reddit since I didn't now that Era was also on [email protected]

After some issues, it's working. 3700X doing all the work, RX480 is not folding atm.

I choose Any Disease but I don't think it's folding on some Covid-19 project.

If you switch between the CPU/GPU I found it updated the project that I was working in - you could see which university it is for, was pretty neat! So far mine have been for COVID-19

Nikokuno

Jul 22, 2019
If you switch between the CPU/GPU I found it updated the project that I was working in - you could see which university it is for, was pretty neat! So far mine have been for COVID-19
How do you switch between them?
For now, since my first post, I fold once and that was on my CPU.

Edit : I had to post this to get something lol, my GPU is folding something and bloody hell it's quite slow.

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017

Edit : I had to post this to get something lol, my GPU is folding something and bloody hell it's quite slow.
The tabs are not very distinguishable but you can see them - I just got a WU on my GPU that's supposed to take 24 hours :|

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

The tabs are not very distinguishable but you can see them - I just got a WU on my GPU that's supposed to take 24 hours :|
I've noticed a few times that the initial ETA is huge, but before long adjusts down to a much shorter timeframe. (The CPU WU I just started said several days, but now says <6hrs.)

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Also noticed, as a finished WU sits in Send status for a long time (keeps on re-trying), the Credit value looks like it slowly ticks down. Ehh servers still getting hammered I guess. Just have to let it keep trying...

EDIT - Also, the project it's trying to send shows up in the list, but says "project unspecified" when you try to view details.

Last edited:

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been able to get a new WU for a couple days.

Edit: Speak of the devil! Finally.

Last edited:

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
How can I put my computer to sleep when I'm done folding? I read they disabled it but I haven't gotten anything to fold all day and when I want to shut my PC off it doesn't. I tried pausing the folding and closing it but my laptop won't go to sleep mode? Does anyone have a workaround?

Oct 25, 2017
How can I put my computer to sleep when I'm done folding? I read they disabled it but I haven't gotten anything to fold all day and when I want to shut my PC off it doesn't. I tried pausing the folding and closing it but my laptop won't go to sleep mode? Does anyone have a workaround?
A 100% sure way would be to kill the program in Task Manager.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Project 14328
Disease Type: covid

CORONAVIRUS PROJECT

Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) protease - potential drug target

These projects are part of [email protected]’s efforts to assist researchers around the world taking up the global fight against COVID-19. At the time of release, this is the latest news update: https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/
These projects are CPU projects to simulate the main protease of the COVID-19, a possible drug target. These supplement high-priority GPU projects of the main protease as well as the COVID-19 receptor binding domains. We hope to have preliminary drug screening simulations on CPUs released in the next week.
Please stay tuned to https://foldingathome.org/news/ for more current updates.

This project is managed by at Temple University.

Dr. Voelz's research focuses on using new simulation methods to unravel the mysteries of how proteins self-assemble into their functional folds, and to design folding and binding properties of proteins and peptide mimetics from first principles. The Voelz Lab participates in the [email protected] project, hosting two servers at Temple University. Dr. Voelz was formerly a postdoctoral scholar in the Vijay Pande lab at Stanford University.
Finally something to do. ETC 1 hour.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I've done 1 CPU WU and 1 GPU WU so far, been waiting on a WU since yesterday afternoon. Hopefully they're able to flood the pipe today with promising WUs

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
I finally got my passkey - entered it into the console and saved, now my points earned reset to 0 :-| is that supposed to happen?

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Finally figured out how remote access works in the FAH client thanks for a LinusTechTips forum post, now I can keep an eye on all my Folding PCs easily. Prior I was checking in via TeamViewer. Unfortunately only half of 'em seem to be folding at the moment.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Is anyone else having problems with the Web Control window not displaying any stats for points at all? Mine now say
0 (0,0,0) Work Unit
0.00 secs Work Unit (ETA)
0 Estimated Points
for everything, its been like this for a few days. Is there a fix or is everything working as intended?
I have the Power set to medium, it seems to be using none of my CPU but 85% of my GPU.

Thanks.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Is anyone else having problems with the Web Control window not displaying any stats for points at all? Mine now say
0 (0,0,0) Work Unit
0.00 secs Work Unit (ETA)
0 Estimated Points
for everything, its been like this for a few days. Is there a fix or is everything working as intended?
I have the Power set to medium, it seems to be using none of my CPU but 85% of my GPU.

Thanks.
What does the Advanced Control say? Did you swap between the CPU and GPU tabs in the Web Control, and both show no WU?

It might just be trying and failing to grab a new WU. This seems to be happening frequently, as their servers are getting hit pretty hard.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't realise you could manually switch between the GPU and CPU tabs, I thought the program did whatever it needed to. It's getting some figures now, thanks.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Putting my itx machine to work and joined up. My gpu already being utilized for the corona virus project

Edit: And cpu on project 14303

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Anybody else getting BSOD whilst the GPU slot is running? I seem to be getting them quite frequently, first time I have seen a BSOD with this system (2080Ti, no overclock), is otherwise super stable for even the most intensive gaming sessions.

Any idea how to best troubleshoot?

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
hi running folding, how do I know if its running the corona project?
Open the Web Control (if using a Chromium-based browser, may need to open in Private window). Click on either the CPU tab or GPU tab, and see the details of the project each is working on. You can click "learn more" at the bottom for the full project description.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Open the Web Control (if using a Chromium-based browser, may need to open in Private window). Click on either the CPU tab or GPU tab, and see the details of the project each is working on. You can click "learn more" at the bottom for the full project description.
Ok it's on corona project nice

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been only getting CPU processes? my GPU hasn't folded anything. Is this normal?
It wasn't normal over a week ago, but then word of mouth got around and support for the project exploded. I haven't gotten any substantial amount of work on my CPU or GPU for about 2 days now. Loads of helping hands is always good though.

Nov 8, 2017
Anybody else getting BSOD whilst the GPU slot is running? I seem to be getting them quite frequently, first time I have seen a BSOD with this system (2080Ti, no overclock), is otherwise super stable for even the most intensive gaming sessions.

Any idea how to best troubleshoot?
I’m kinda the opposite. When My CPU and GPU are running together, my PC restarts. If I do only GPU it’s fine. If CPU only, it restarts but far less frequently. I’m running a Ryzen 9 3900X and RTX 2080Ti. I’m pretty sure my issue is the PSU. I’m only running a 750W, but it’s a Platinum rated unit. I haven’t put a meter on it or anything, but the symptoms scream PSU.

I have never had an issue when gaming or running benchmarks, so folding is clearly quite demanding.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Question. If I want to shut down or put my pc in sleep mode but have a running folding processing How should I correctly shut it down and it saves my progress? Should I click finish and then close the processes?

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
I’m kinda the opposite. When My CPU and GPU are running together, my PC restarts. If I do only GPU it’s fine. If CPU only, it restarts but far less frequently. I’m running a Ryzen 9 3900X and RTX 2080Ti. I’m pretty sure my issue is the PSU. I’m only running a 750W, but it’s a Platinum rated unit. I haven’t put a meter on it or anything, but the symptoms scream PSU.

I have never had an issue when gaming or running benchmarks, so folding is clearly quite demanding.
Actually that could be identical to me then, I haven't actually tried JUST running GPU slot on its own (but the BSOD happens when CPU and GPU are running, but not when just CPU is running), so we probably have the same issue, and the same video card, interesting...

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Question. If I want to shut down or put my pc in sleep mode but have a running folding processing How should I correctly shut it down and it saves my progress? Should I click finish and then close the processes?
"Finish" means "keep working on this WU until it's done, but don't grab a new one."

FAH does save its progress to disk on a regular basis, so you would lose at most like 15 minutes of progress if you had to shut down the process/PC. If you had to shut down/pause for an extended period, you'd want to check the Timeout and Expiration dates on your WUs.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
"Finish" means "keep working on this WU until it's done, but don't grab a new one."

FAH does save its progress to disk on a regular basis, so you would lose at most like 15 minutes of progress if you had to shut down the process/PC. If you had to shut down/pause for an extended period, you'd want to check the Timeout and Expiration dates on your WUs.
How can I check how many WUs I have? I just started doing this week so I'm just trying to understand it's process. Also are these points just an equivalent to like a gold star?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
How can I check how many WUs I have? I just started doing this week so I'm just trying to understand it's process. Also are these points just an equivalent to like a gold star?
Right-click the FAH app in the taskbar notification area, go to Advanced Control. Under Folding Slots, you most likely have two: CPU and GPU. In the Work Queue, it shows you what those slots are working on. Each slot works on a single WU at a time until it's completed. Then it grabs a new WU to work on, and sends the completed WU data back to the relevant server.

I think Credit is a rough quantification of how much work was done. Larger WUs, that will take longer to finish, are worth more Credit.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Right-click the FAH app in the taskbar notification area, go to Advanced Control. Under Folding Slots, you most likely have two: CPU and GPU. In the Work Queue, it shows you what those slots are working on. Each slot works on a single WU at a time until it's completed. Then it grabs a new WU to work on, and sends the completed WU data back to the relevant server.

I think Credit is a rough quantification of how much work was done. Larger WUs, that will take longer to finish, are worth more Credit.
Thank you!

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Seem to be getting a steady stream of both CPU and GPU WUs now, both COVID and 'normal' ones. So perhaps they've gotten ahead of capacity again.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, been folding alone the past 2 days, but now have my dinosaur 980ti and 4670k have joined Era's fold.