Help science fight the Coronavirus! Join the ResetEra [email protected] Team today and donate your computer's CPU and GPU cycles for the cause.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I did eventually get my pass key today. But I think I submitted the form three times (over last couple days). Not sure if trying the form multiple times was necessary (if it would have shown up by then either way).

Last edited:

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I've left [email protected] running for years on my OG 60GB PS3 (RIP). On PC, I use this as a CPU/GPU benchmark and adjust overclocks and fans from there. I switched to the ResetEra team and will have this on overnight.

Last edited:

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised that the great compute performance of GCN cards isn't fully taken advantage of for this. Looks like a GTX 1060 is faster than an RX 580. Anyone have any insight into this?

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just checked all my work PCs and none of 'em are running CPU-based tasks. Hopefully more get put up sometime today.

Edit: Checked the one PC in the building with enough of a GPU to be running GPU-based tasks (Vega 8 iGPU on a Ryzen 3 2200G) and it looks like it's cranking away, so it might just be us CPU-only users in the dark right now.

Might be time to invest in a GPU. If only I could get something worth a damn without breaking $100. As much as I enjoy helping fold, spending that on a card that otherwise I wouldn't get any utilization on is a tough sell. :(

Last edited:

Khrn

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked all my work PCs and none of 'em are running CPU-based tasks. Hopefully more get put up sometime today.

Edit: Checked the one PC in the building with enough of a GPU to be running GPU-based tasks (Vega 8 iGPU on a Ryzen 3 2200G) and it looks like it's cranking away, so it might just be us CPU-only users in the dark right now.

Might be time to invest in a GPU. If only I could get something worth a damn without breaking $100. As much as I enjoy helping fold, spending that on a card that otherwise I wouldn't get any utilization on is a tough sell. :(
Since last night (although I did pause to go to sleep), my CPU has been folding this project. It's a big one, going slower than usual, and giving me two weeks to finish it.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
My client has failed to download an assignment all day, internet connection sems fine otherwise.
Any ideas to kick start it?

Nvm, not just me then.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Looks like we'll be passing this team sometime in the next hour or two. 👀

Though admittedly it's a bit unfair as there doesn't seem to be anyone currently contributing to the team.

KDR_11k

Nov 10, 2017
Anyone keep getting this in the log? 'No WUs available for this configuration'
In the comments for https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/03/16/donate-processing-power-to-help-find-a-treatment-for-covid-19/ one person posted this:

In fact, they have so many new users, both individuals and companies like Google and Microsoft, that they have finished all the current COVID experiments (11741-11756), but labs around the world are working around the clock on finding other promising experiments to explore. A new batch should appear any day, exploring protease inhibitor screening.
Sounds like people are folding faster than the researchers can come up with new work units.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I really hope folks don't start leaving the project en masse just because they think there's no work left to be done. This is a great opportunity for the scientific community to leverage so much computational power.

Khrn

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope folks don't start leaving the project en masse just because they think there's no work left to be done. This is a great opportunity for the scientific community to leverage so much computational power.
Yeah. I don't think I can fold too many times a day because my GPU gets really hot (84-87C), but I'm trying to finish at least a couple of projects (two for the CPU and two for the GPU) a day.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
My PC has been searching for WUs for a while now. Beyond the project running out of COVID-19 experiments, the [email protected] twitter retweeted someone who I presume is on the team that says that the servers are so overloaded that there's big delays in assigning and receiving WUs for other projects.

Matt Hurley @llabrword

The work units are there but the servers are overloaded! Every morning I'm surprised by the increase in response. We're up to over 70 requests/s for new work units. New servers are coming though!

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I've downloaded and joined up. Took a while to connect but my machine is busy folding away. Had to configure a couple of things so that it didn't eat up all of my CPU and GPU, but it's going.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Jesus, the Top 20 leaderboard for the team has skyrocketed! You only needed > 50 000 points a couple days ago, now it's ten times that.

Edit: or maybe I was looking at the 24h avg before....?

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
Are the passkey emails having problems because of the additional interest? I have tried the last 2 days to sign up and haven't seen an email.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Which site are you going to to see stats? The [email protected] one keeps giving me "Bad Gateway" errors.
folding.extremeoverclocking.com, the links are in the OP. Some of the information is a little behind the official server since it updates every 3 hours, but the graphs and presentation of the data are nice. It also looks like an old school tech forum that hasn't had a UI update since 2000, which I actually really dig. And I do think the passkeys are having trouble. Their whole setup seems to be bogged down by the huge inrush of users.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I looked up how the Finish button functions, and it's pretty much what I expected:
Finishing...
The Finish option will have the slot finish its current WU, submit it, but not download another. Handy if you want to shut down the system for a while, or stop folding for a while, but don't want to lose the work/points you have started on.
Also having run several GPU tasks now, this thing isn't nearly as stressful on my GPU as running Black Desert Online on Remastered quality. My 1080 sits at like 67C, 45% fan speed.

Last edited:

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I keep getting errors when it tries to upload the WU. It has tried 6 times. I have made sure FAHClient is allowed in Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.

Code:
01:34:48:WU01:FS01:Trying to send results to collection server
01:34:48:WU01:FS01:Uploading 55.25MiB to 155.247.164.214
01:34:48:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 155.247.164.214:8080
01:34:49:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Transfer failed
If I close the program will it wipe out the results or will it try to send later?

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I keep getting errors when it tries to upload the WU. It has tried 6 times. I have made sure FAHClient is allowed in Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.

Code:
01:34:48:WU01:FS01:Trying to send results to collection server
01:34:48:WU01:FS01:Uploading 55.25MiB to 155.247.164.214
01:34:48:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 155.247.164.214:8080
01:34:49:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Transfer failed
If I close the program will it wipe out the results or will it try to send later?
Can always try pause it, come back and unpause it later, see if it takes off.

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
I set mine up and folded one WU so far, but I requested a passkey hours ago and still haven't received it. Has anyone else ran into that?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Got this set up and on the web page it says I'm ready, but nothing's coming through in terms of progress (Or indeed that anything is being done). Anything I need to do?

nitoo

Oct 28, 2017
Toulouse, France
How heavy is it on the system on the lightest setting ? I'm a freelance art director and I saturate RAM and pretty much everything really quickly (many Adobe and even 3d programs are all open at the same time), but I've been wanting to try that for years.

Khrn

Oct 27, 2017
I set mine up and folded one WU so far, but I requested a passkey hours ago and still haven't received it. Has anyone else ran into that?
Pretty much everyone. We can only wait.
Got this set up and on the web page it says I'm ready, but nothing's coming through in terms of progress (Or indeed that anything is being done). Anything I need to do?
Just wait. You'll get one eventually. There are more requests than WUs available and they're trying to work on that.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
So the Web/Advanced control show a Credit value for the WUs you're working on. Does that translate directly into the Credit that shows up in your/team stats? I know the credit isn't the point, but was kind of confused seeing a value in the app, the WU finished, and then credit didn't change by the same amount (even after waiting several hours). It doesn't change your stats while you work through an individual WU, it just updates once it's done and uploaded right?

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I wonder if the project will ever switch over to GPU folding exclusively, considering how much quicker GPU users seem to be getting their respective work done.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
So installed the app and joined the group but nothing seems to be happening. Currently just sitting in Ready state with 0% on everything

Edit: Its spinning up one now on the GPU. I really need to learn some patience.

Last edited:

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
How often does the Overclockers site update?

My point total there is about half that of what the web interface is telling me. I made that difference today as I finally got a WU for my GPU (just the one so far...).

Nikokuno

Jul 22, 2019
I just join. Was about to join team Reddit since I didn't now that Era was also on [email protected]

After some issues, it's working. 3700X doing all the work, RX480 is not folding atm.

I choose Any Disease but I don't think it's folding on some Covid-19 project.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Still not folding anything, and now the web control browser is constantly flickering when I try to log on that way. Little bit annoying as I want to do my bit.

Khrn

Oct 27, 2017
Still not folding anything, and now the web control browser is constantly flickering when I try to log on that way. Little bit annoying as I want to do my bit.
This is a known problem for Chromium-based browsers, apparently. Just open web control through Incognito/Private mode and it works perfectly!