Help science fight the Coronavirus! Join the ResetEra [email protected] Team today and donate your computer's CPU and GPU cycles for the cause.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
2. GAMING PC - I'm currently using this all day but I thought since I can't use the media pc I'll leave it running on this pc overnight. Gave it a quick try just now and I'm sorry to say that I'm not comfortable with 80c+ temps again on the CPU and over 100c+ on the GPU (I'd only ever seen it go as high as 81c before, very briefly). Shame as it's much more capable with an i5 4690K and a Radeon RX 5700 XT.
For CPU: I wasn't comfortable with temps when it was running full-bore - I probably need to adjust fan curve - but what I did was adjust down how many cores [email protected] can use. (And for me, I mostly leave CPU folding paused when I'm away, and turn it on when I'm around.)

For GPU: Fortunately my GPU's keeping things fairly cool, mostly around 68C when folding. You could maybe look into changing the max temperature or power target in MSI Afterburner? 100C seems pretty crazy... I know some 5700 XTs have trouble keeping temps in line during stress tests, but I thought [email protected] wasn't as hard on a GPU. (I'm running a GTX 1080, but games usually drive temps higher than folding has.)

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
For CPU: I wasn't comfortable with temps when it was running full-bore - I probably need to adjust fan curve - but what I did was adjust down how many cores [email protected] can use. (And for me, I mostly leave CPU folding paused when I'm away, and turn it on when I'm around.)

For GPU: Fortunately my GPU's keeping things fairly cool, mostly around 68C when folding. You could maybe look into changing the max temperature or power target in MSI Afterburner? 100C seems pretty crazy... I know some 5700 XTs have trouble keeping temps in line during stress tests, but I thought [email protected] wasn't as hard on a GPU. (I'm running a GTX 1080, but games usually drive temps higher than folding has.)
I'll look into limiting CPU cores, but typically modern and demanding games will see the GPU run at 55-73c usually. 100c was an astonishing number to see, so yeah I stopped folding immediately.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a list of what each of the work units are? Sometimes I don't get a description when doing them and I'm interested in reading more about them, I've checked on the website and can't seem to find anything on them.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
For the first time in a long time almost all of my computers are folding.

There's just one holdout, but I've also just booted it up after being off most of the day, so it'll likely grab something eventually.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
For the first time in a long time almost all of my computers are folding.

There's just one holdout, but I've also just booted it up after being off most of the day, so it'll likely grab something eventually.
Mine are stalled out but I started up a third machine and it pulled a WU so who knows. If anyone knows how to get it to pull a WU I’d love to hear it

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
New twitter thread from the [email protected] team about the work they're doing, twitter thread in spoiler tag.

1. Let’s talk about how simulating proteins with [email protected] fits into drug discovery and development.
  2. First: what’s the difference between a vaccine and a drug?

3. For viruses, drugs can target proteins to prevent the virus from 1) infecting your cells, 2) replicating inside your cells, or 3) hiding from your immune system. Unfortunately it is not always clear where drugs can bind to a protein.
  4. So how do protein simulations help discover drugs? Well our simulations help us see the protein move around. This can show us a lot of different places where a drug could bind or show us how to improve existing drugs!
  5. The next step is to computationally and/or experimentally test a whole bunch of compounds to see what sticks to our protein and stops it from doing its job.
  6. Then the drug needs to be optimized for things like 1) getting to the site of infection 2) killing the virus and, most importantly, 3) not killing the human cells.
  7. The drug is then tested in animals before moving on to clinical trials. All the tests at this point are done to make sure that only the most effective and safest drugs are tested on humans.
  8. Finally, the drug must go through clinical trials and receive approval from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This is a long process aimed at ensuring only the safest drugs are available for people to use.
  9. However, the FDA does have procedures to speed up the process in situations like this
  10. Because this process is so long, being limited at the start from our inability to find good places for the drugs to bind is a big limitation to drug discovery.
  11. That’s why [email protected] can be so useful! Through the donation of idle computer time, citizen-scientists are helping speed up the beginning steps of finding good drugs!

jvm

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like my WUs are getting completed, results uploaded, but no credit showing up in my account. It's showing 0 for the past 24 hours, and I'm fairly sure I've completed several. Really, really confused. :(

teh_J0kerer

Jan 3, 2018
So what's the actual bottleneck for creating vaccines/drugs? I thought it was the trial phase? If CPUs were actually the bottleneck why wouldn't governments around the world just buy more?