Halo: Reach MCC |OT| Reaching back into the MCC without an MC

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Apparently I misunderstood what this was going to be. ONLY Reach is available on PC right now? I wanted to play the campaigns in order.
They announced this way back that they're rolling each game out on PC in order to mitigate and prevent the catastrophe that was Halo MCC's initial release on the xbox one. Makes total sense and understandable especially considering how much bigger of a crapshoot PC is more than Xbox from a "what is breaking the game now" variable standpoint.

Also Reach takes place before all of the other Halos so it's actually a good place to start.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh Microsoft, this is getting really bad.
But good that it's starting at all!
You can also just run it from the Start Menu, I've gotten so used to launching games from their respective launchers (EGS, Steam, Uplay, etc) that I forget this is a thing even though it has been forever in Windows.

Still, it would be nice if you could launch it from the Xbox (Beta) app on PC.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
It's been ages since I played the Halo games, but the more I see in this collection the more I'm tempted to jump back in. Glad to hear PC is getting the whole collection even if it's not all at once.

BoxingIsCool

May 15, 2019
I bought this game day one. I don’t think I’ve ever played it and had it run so smooth. Everything about it, even the load times are about 2 seconds for campaign. It’s incredible

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
thoughts on being somewhat competitive using a controller in MP? do they have controller only rooms/matchmaking or will i have to use mouse and keyboard

Tain

Oct 25, 2017
add me to the crew that's curious about HDR support on PC. I was just playing Jedi: Fallen Order in HDR yesterday on my C8, not seeing any settings here.

Oct 27, 2017
First multiplayer match sure sucked. Every time I got shot the game went out of zoom. Don't know if there's something up with my mouse...

Oh well. I wanna play MCC for the campaigns anyway, so no loss
It happens with PvE Campaign play too, I don't remember it being as severe as it feels now but that may just be the times, playing other games, etc since then too.

Jangowuzhere

Oct 28, 2017
Are lobbies divided between controller and mouse and keyboard users?

I really don't have any interest in playing these Halo games online with a mouse and keyboard...

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
First multiplayer match sure sucked. Every time I got shot the game went out of zoom. Don't know if there's something up with my mouse...

Oh well. I wanna play MCC for the campaigns anyway, so no loss
It happens with PvE Campaign play too, I don't remember it being as severe as it feels now but that may just be the times, playing other games, etc since then too.
That’s how Halo plays. Git gud :)

Mr_DyZ

Jun 12, 2019
Matchmaking difficulties is taking me back to original MCC launch. I'll never forget people in NZ complaining about MM issues, and most of us in the states chalking it up to "not enough people playing yet". Dark times.

NumberThree

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there something fucked with the audio on my PC or are the gun etc. sound effects just really bad in this? Everything sounds super muffled.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Runs great on my pc but freezes at menu on my sons every time I try to run it not sure what is wrong with it anyone else?

Both Ryzen 2600 16gb but mine is gtx 1060ti 6gb and his is a 1660ti

Mr_DyZ

Jun 12, 2019
Are lobbies divided between controller and mouse and keyboard users?

I really don't have any interest in playing these Halo games online with a mouse and keyboard...
Mouse and Keyboard is the obvious choice for most on PC (i'd assume so), but I dunno man. Halo just feels too good on a controller, especially on PC. It 's hard to explain, but I don't feel the advantage to using a mouse and keyboard is nearly as significant in Halo as compared to games like CoD, etc.

Revenant013

May 31, 2019
If you want to play only with people using a controller, I think you can just play on the Xbox. Given that there is no crossplay between PC and console right now.
To my knowledge KBM players are actually at a disadvantage with Reach online due to the heavy aim assist. I could be wrong though, I just thought I heard people mention the twitch rivals tournament all used controllers instead of kbm due to the advantage.

Oct 27, 2017
That’s how Halo plays. Git gud :)
Yeah, I know, I was letting that person know that it's a thing in the campaigns as well considering they said "Oh well. I wanna play MCC for the campaigns anyway, so no loss", it does feel a bit funky though and that may be just from not playing Halo in a while.

That said, M/KB feels a bit strange overall, not sure if it's input lag or less modern controls, etc.

Tokyo_Funk

Dec 10, 2018
Can't play because Microsoft insists on account connectivity bullshit and I cannot pass the "Let this app access your info" page.

Fuck you MS.

Edit - NM. Restarting PC helped.

Last edited:

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Runs amazingly well on my ancient i7-2600k and GTX 580. Does anyone know how the seasons work?

Yogi

Nov 10, 2019
Not going to lie, this feels like hot garbage, at least the multiplayer does. This released in 2010? Feels like 2005 would be generous.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Running this at 1440p on a GTX 970. My FPS counter shows 60fps however it definitely feels like it stutters here and there. Not sure why it’s not showing the frame drops.

I also would have liked some graphics options outside of choosing between “performance”, “original” and “enhanced”. But oh well.

Looking forward to getting in to the multiplayer.

Yogi

Nov 10, 2019
Just...everything about it. From the way it runs (even over 100fps), the way it sounds, the way it looks, the gameplay, can't remap voice or text chat, barely a second to pick a loadout or even see wtf they are in the 2 seconds I get before respawning... bah.

What's good about it? The menu music?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Support Site:

PC Known Issues:

Halo: Reach (PC) Known Issues List 12/3/19

• Player’s character model appears to desync briefly when moving after an assassination.
  • When using the narration feature, all menu options are not read for all screens.
  • When playing Co-op or multiplayer, players will appear to play a falling animation when entering an elevator.
  • Prior to installing Halo: Reach, users who participated in flights will want to delete all files at C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\LocalLow\MCC.
  • Players friended only over Steam do not appear in the Roster (must be Xbox Live friends). You can join upon your friends through Steam’s friends list.
  • To send an Xbox Live friend request you will need to use the Game Bar, Xbox Companion app, or add them at Xbox.com
  • When launching in Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, or Korean the voice language pack may not install (Full KBA).
  • If a capture card is set to the default audio input device, all PC audio will transmit over voice channel (Full KBA).
  • Bluetooth headphones will prioritize communication audio after passing the main menu Full KBA).
  • When moving the game’s window while in Fullscreen using the Windows, shift, and arrow keys it can cause the game to appear as a still image.
  • Cutscenes during Tip of the Spear can see performance drops using AMD graphics cards.
  • When trying to “Save As” File Share game types and maps that are not Halo: Reach they appear corrupted on relaunch of Halo: Reach. This is because you don’t have the content required to play them.
  • Uninstalling the Steam version of the game with the Microsoft Store version installed will remove the Easy Anti-Cheat client and make the Microsoft Store game be unplayable. To resolve this please uninstall and re-install the Microsoft Store version.
Won’t Fix and By Design Known Issues
  • With the Duke control scheme Switch grenade is mapped to LB and Flashlight is mapped to RB
  • When attempting to join friends using Steam’s friends list or overlay your party will not be brought with you. To alleviate, join friends through your Xbox Live Roster in game.
  • Players who have picked up the active camo powerup are easier to see when moving on non-title update (vanilla) settings than title update (TU) settings
  • When entering full screen for the first time if previously snapped to half of a screen on 4k monitors, the game will not display properly when entering full screen. Simply Alt + Enter to resolve this.
  • There is no way to rebind the pause function

Xbox Known Issues:

Halo: Reach (Xbox) Known Issues List - 12/3/19

Global Xbox

• Player’s character model appears to desync briefly when moving after an assassination.
  • When using the narration feature, all menu options are not read for all screens.
  • When playing Co-op or multiplayer, players will appear to play a falling animation when entering an elevator.
  • When updating MCC on 12/3 and beyond, the local map and game type migration message can disappear for up to several minutes showing a black screen (Full KBA).
  • A crash or soft lock can occur when signing out a 2nd/guest profile on the Seasons or Customization screen.
  • Players are unable to join in progress for a Forge on any title.
  • Campaign gameplay doesn’t pause if controller disconnects during loading screen and gameplay cannot be paused going forward. To get out of this state, please quit and relaunch the game.
Halo: CEA

• When playing a Halo CE custom multiplayer game, if the host leaves the game will end.
Halo 2

• Halo 2: Anniversary’s Stonetown map’s performance drops to 45 fps when staring at the fan.
  • Halo 2 Classic audio is compressed compared to the original release, losing impact and fidelity.
Halo 3

• Audio is compressed compared to the original release.
  • Aiming feels looser in MCC compared to the original release.
Halo 4

• When reloading checkpoints, the title will crash: Please start the missions or playlists over to avoid these crashes. This is a side effect of several fixes made that required content rebuilds.
Won’t Fix and By Design Known Issues

• The ability view screenshots from My Files and the ability to take screenshots have been removed from Theater mode.
  • If you as a client disconnect from a custom match during loading, you can enter into multiple load screens without an error message.
  • If two controllers are active and the primary disconnects, the 2nd controller becomes the active controller.
  • With the Duke control scheme Switch grenade is mapped to LB and Flashlight is mapped to RB.
  • Players who have picked up the active camo powerup are easier to see when moving on non-title update (vanilla) settings than title update (TU) settings.

Patch Notes for 12/3

General:

• Added Halo: Reach, a progression system, and seasonal unlocks.
  • Increased shared file capacity from 50 to 150 to support migration of legacy map and game variants.
  • Fixed various stability issues throughout the title.
  • Moved Spartan Ops from Halo 4’s Multiplayer installation package to its Campaign package.
  • Fixed an issue where settings changes made by guests while mid-game did not save.
  • Fixed an issue where load times were increased based on the number of profiles signed in for splitscreen.
  • Added a Jumper Jumper setting to Halo: Reach and Halo 4 which allows the user to hold the jump button while airborne to activate the Jetpack ability if it is equipped.
  • Added new background video to celebrate Halo: Reach's addition to MCC.

User Interface:

• Rebuilt the main menu and several other UI screens.
  • Added Text Chat, Speech-to-Text, Text-to-Speech, and other accessibility settings.
  • Added behavior to display the current matchmaking status while within nested menus.
  • Added a film duration element to the Theater menu.
  • Fixed an issue where Skulls enabled in Halo CE and Halo 2 Campaign lobbies carried over into the Spartan Ops lobby
  • Fixed an issue where an objective marker was visible in the loading screen image of Episode 3 Chapter 1 The VIP mission in Spartan Ops.
  • Fixed an issue where there was no button callout in the help bar to exit the PGCR for clients in co-op Campaign.
  • Fixed an issue where the tool of destruction image for the Elephant Turret was stretched on the PGCR.
  • Fixed a number of syntax and capitalization inconsistencies throughout the menus.
  • Fixed a number of cases where text extended outside of widget boundaries or overlapped other text in various languages.
  • Added additional clarification to the tooltips for various settings.
  • Corrected the header text on the Competitive Games screen.
  • Fixed an issue where certain Campaign player stats weren’t displayed.
  • Fixed an issue where Campaign Scoring and Timing leaderboards displayed 0s for all entries until the screen was refreshed.
  • Fixed an issue where co-op support was not consistently stated for Campaign playlists.

Matchmaking:

• Fixed an issue which resulted in some users experiencing higher-than-expected latency when connecting to servers.
  • Fixed an issue which was affecting skill sorting in social matchmaking.
  • Fixed exploits and visual artifacts on several community forge maps in Halo 2: Anniversary.
  • Disabled infinite Sudden Death in remaining Halo 2 game variants which used it.
  • Made various polish improvements to game variants.

Halo: Reach legacy bug fixes:

• Built a new asynchronous network model for Firefight. More details are included in this blog post.
  • Fixed an issue where holograms were displayed incorrectly on the motion sensor for clients.
  • Fixed an issue where the player’s head was not healed by health packs which resulted in inconsistent time-to-kill against players who had taken damage and then healed in bleedthrough-enabled variants. More details are included in this blog post.
  • Made three previously unskippable cinematics in The Long Night of Solace skippable.
  • Fixed an issue which resulted in low level-of-detail Falcon flocks appearing near the camera during the outro cinematic on Tip of the Spear. More details are included in this blog post.
  • Fixed an issue where a hostile dropship waypoint was displayed on the friendly Pelican dropship on Installation 04 in Firefight.
  • Updated objective waypoint behavior for Tip of the Spear on Easy difficulty to better guide new players.
  • Fixed an issue where projectiles were incorrectly redirected towards marker nodes on the models of large forge objects. More details are included in this video.
  • Replaced the sandbags on the MLG variants of Countdown and Zealot with more visually appropriate but functionally identical objects.
  • Fixed exploits and made various improvements to the Invasion forge maps used in matchmaking.
  • Fixed various issues on the Infection forge maps used in matchmaking.
  • Fixed various exploits on the map Powerhouse in matchmaking.
  • Removed some respawn points which were too near the death boundary on Unanchored (Anchor 9) in matchmaking.
  • Improved the orientation of power weapons on Tempest in matchmaking to make them more visible.

Not going to lie, this feels like hot garbage, at least the multiplayer does.
Welcome to Reach.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this is something I've been wanting to ask for a while and I couldn't find the PC questions thread when I last wanted to. Does anyone else get a long stutter whenever an Xbox Game Bar achievement triggers, with Gamepass games?

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Just...everything about it. From the way it runs (even over 100fps), the way it sounds, the way it looks, the gameplay, can't remap voice or text chat, barely a second to pick a loadout or even see wtf they are in the 2 seconds I get before respawning... bah.

What's good about it? The menu music?
Are you saying this relative to the original release or is this your first time playing Reach?

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't load for me click play and xbox app goes away (have installed via the windows store to get the update) via gamepass.