• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 5 days, 22 hours, 48 minutes, 20 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

GTFO: 4 player co-op horror shooter from former Overkill developers (Payday)

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone is having other people ape its main gimmick (WWZ zombies) before it even launches.

Really these were likely developed and implemented independently of each other (games take years to make) and all based on the movie depiction... but it does make Days Gone seem less unique. A game that already has an optics problem of looking too much like TLoU, in an ever-oversaturating zombie genre.
Excuse my ignorance. What's the difference between WWZ zombies and other zombies?

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Excuse my ignorance. What's the difference between WWZ zombies and other zombies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU0DNCV22dU

High numbers, aggression, speed, fluidity, super-organism-ish... it's what was impressive about Days Gone zombies. GTFO is like someone mixed WWZ and Aliens. And there's an actual WWZ game coming.

Idk, I'm just saying the main draw of Days Gone, their unique take on videogame zeds, it's getting less unique looking.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I suppose calling it Get Out would muddy the waters somewhat. Get Out Now. Go Out Now. Run Get Out. GTFO is a little juvenile I feel but hey whatever - video game names are dumb most of the time anyway.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Title reminds me of run like hell
Looks interesting though, I remember there being a shake up at Overkill did the people leave before or after the agregus p2w stuff went in?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the most interesting trailer from the weekend to be honest. Looks like "Left 4 Aliens". I admit I haven't really played PayDay, but this looks like the kind of co-op shooter I've actually been looking for: fast gameplay, great art direction, and hopefully not too much upgrade system crap.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
If anyone is interested in this, they're running an alpha weekend at the moment. You just need to sign up to the newsletter and join the game's server on Discord and you can get in and get 3 invites for friends.

tiefooz

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I tried this tonight and I can't recommend it highly enough. The Steam early access build is a little limited in that there's presently no matchmaking, so you have to coordinate with people on the official Discord server. It's a little unwieldy at first, the way you join parties, but once you get into a game it's really, really awesome.

Hard as SHIT, incredibly scarce ammo and resources, different scenarios that require careful planning and execution to navigate successfully, and shit going wrong all the time. It's fast, intense gameplay when things go wrong, but in between those "oh shit oh god oh shit oh god" moments, you're gonna be moving as stealthily as you can around horrifying zombie thingies that are responsive to light and sound, moving in concert with your squad to position for takedowns and the like. It's L4D with the lethality cranked to maximum, procedural map and objective generation, terminals with command-line interfaces(!) and incredibly tense combat where you're just as likely to kill a teammate in the chaos of a fight as you are the things trying to murder you. It's really fun.

The lack of matchmaking is definitely a pain, but gosh is it worth the effort.

Last edited:

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I tried this tonight and I can't recommend it highly enough. The Steam early access build is a little limited in that there's presently no matchmaking, so you have to coordinate with people on the official Discord server. It's a little unwieldy at first, the way you join parties, but once you get into a game it's really, really awesome.

Hard as SHIT, incredibly scarce ammo and resources, different scenarios that require careful planning and execution to navigate successfully, and shit going wrong all the time. It's fast, intense gameplay when things go wrong, but in between those "oh shit oh god oh shit oh god" moments, you're gonna be moving as stealthily as you can around horrifying zombie thingies that are responsive to light and sound, moving in concert with your squad to position for takedowns and the like. It's L4D with the lethality cranked to maximum, procedural map and objective generation, terminals with command-line interfaces(!) and incredibly tense combat where you're just as likely to kill a teammate in the chaos of a fight as you are the things trying to murder you. It's really fun.

The lack of matchmaking is definitely a pain, but gosh is it worth the effort.
This sounds great, I'm really interested in this game now.