Gaming Laptop Discussion Thread

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
So there's a Lenovo laptop with a 2060 on sale for $899 USD. Is it worth it going up from a 1660Ti to a 2060? I save $80 if I drop down to a non-RT GPU. Or should is it better to spend that $80 on the next level up CPU (i5-9300H to a i7-9750H)? Decisions decisions.

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
How long do you guys keep your gaming laptops for?
I will never keep one for longer than 2-3 years. Technology moves too quickly and I need that new ish in my life.

Like my new laptop (MSI GT76) has a desktop i7-9700K and RTX 2080, which cost me $2k due to a special deal I had directly with MSI. With the new consoles coming I just needed a 6-8 core CPU and a strong GPU. If I couldn't get it this cheap (it's a $3499 laptop) I would have stuck with my GT73 w/ i7-6820HK and GTX 1070 for another year until Nvidia's 7nm cards dropped.

Since I got such a deal on it I still may try to sell my laptop next year for an early upgrade, but I'm undecided.

it’s an 8 core CPU. Intel Core i9 9980HK
Well with an 8 core/16 thread CPU that's unlocked/overclockable, you definitely won't be lagging behind the next-gen consoles on that front.

Godspeed on keeping that monster tamed as far as heat though, it's a tough task.

What laptop is this?
I bought the Lenovo y540 with
16 GB( 8+8)
500 SSD
i5 9300

1000 USD

hope I made i good purchase :)

Battery life is not good. Is it like that with Gaming laptops?
You would have been better off with an i7 and a 1660 Ti really.

Having a quad core is going to be a major bottleneck sooner than later.
Just checked, same store have now the same PC for the same price only with i7 9750 and 1000SSD

Guess who made a reservation for a buy and a return tomorrow :D
GREAT DECISION.

Just found a deal for the GS65 Thin with the 1070 MaxQ for 1120€
I think that's pretty good!
1070 Max-Q ia basically a GTX 1060, I'm not sure it's a very good deal for 3 year old GPUs.

The 1660 Ti is the new standard.

I'm looking for a laptop to do some work with VMs *and* do some gaming when I travel. I want it to be similar or better than my 4 year old workstation in performance. Here are the specs for a P73 that I built recently, but I'm hoping somebody here can do better than I did. Suggestions on what I should change are more than welcome. This would run around 4500 CAD.

• Processor : Intel® Core™ i9-9880H with vPro™ (2.30GHz, up to 4.80GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 Cores, 16MB Cache)
  • Operating System : Windows 10 Pro 64
  • Operating System Language : Windows 10 Pro 64 English
  • Display : 17.3" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS, anti-glare, 400 nits, Dolby Vision™ HDR
  • Memory : 128GB (32GB x 4) DDR4 2666MHz
  • Graphic Card : NVIDIA Quadro RTX4000 8GB
  • Camera : IR & 720p HD camera with ThinkShutter
  • Keyboard : Backlit Keyboard with Number Pad - US English
  • Fingerprint Reader : Fingerprint Reader
  • Near Field Communication : NFC
  • Pointing Device : Fingerprint
  • TPM Setting : Enabled Discrete TPM2.0
  • First Hard Drive : 1TB Solid State Drive, M.2 PCIe-NVMe, Opal
  • Storage Total Capacity : 1TB
  • System Expansion Slots : Smart Card Reader
  • Battery : 6 Cell Li-Polymer, 99Wh
  • Power Cord : 230W AC Adapter
  • Wireless : Intel® AX200 Wi-Fi 6 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.0
  • vPro Certified Model : vPro Certified
  • Display Panel : 17.3" UHD(3840 x 2160) IPS, 400nits, Anti-Glare, No Touch, IR-Camera, Mic, WLAN
Man the premium of a 9980H, 128GB RAM, and an RTX Quadro. You are playing way out of even my league here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
1070 Max-Q ia basically a GTX 1060, I'm not sure it's a very good deal for 3 year old GPUs.

The 1660 Ti is the new standard.
Yeah I know, I looked some benches and they are not too far separated, depending on the game of course. I was eying that laptop anyway, but the recent ones are a bit too expensive and that new Gs65 track pad seems weird. It was 500€ off so I jumped on it.
Plus I am seriously looking into eGpu right now for my desktop gaming.

Will report back, it's my third gaming laptop now, haha., hopefully this one is a keeper.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man the premium of a 9980H, 128GB RAM, and an RTX Quadro. You are playing way out of even my league here.
Can I do better on the cost going with a different brand? Really, the only variables that I don't want to change are the number of cores and the amount of ram (although, I could probably get away with 64 GB). If I could get this laptop (or something close) with a Ryzen with a minimum of 8 cores (16 would be better), I would. Any suggestions?

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yeah I know, I looked some benches and they are not too far separated, depending on the game of course. I was eying that laptop anyway, but the recent ones are a bit too expensive and that new Gs65 track pad seems weird. It was 500€ off so I jumped on it.
Plus I am seriously looking into eGpu right now for my desktop gaming.

Will report back, it's my third gaming laptop now, haha., hopefully this one is a keeper.
Yeah if you are looking into eGPUs I suppose it matters far less.

Can I do better on the cost going with a different brand? Really, the only variables that I don't want to change are the number of cores and the amount of ram (although, I could probably get away with 64 GB). If I could get this laptop (or something close) with a Ryzen with a minimum of 8 cores (16 would be better), I would. Any suggestions?
Well we aren't supposed to see the real Ryzen CPUs with laptops until a rumored announcement at CES 2020, so I can't speak on that opportunity too much.

I suppose my first question becomes, how important is the Quadro vs just going with am RTX 2080?

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well we aren't supposed to see the real Ryzen CPUs with laptops until a rumored announcement at CES 2020, so I can't speak on that opportunity too much.

I suppose my first question becomes, how important is the Quadro vs just going with am RTX 2080?
The Quadro isn't important, however the configurator on the Lenovo site won't let me swap to the RTX 2080.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got the Lenovo Y540 with i7, 1660ti, 16GB, 512 GB and 144Hz screen, and it was a lovely piece of tech.

But Im gonna return it because it doesn’t have Thunderbolt 3. It was not something I cared about when I bought it, but I realized quickly that I do need it. I bought it to replace my aging 3rd gen i7 desktop with something more portable, but not being able to plug in all of my flight sticks, drives, and monitors to it without sacrificing its portability made me feel like it wasn’t where I needed it to be for me to keep it.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
The Quadro isn't important, however the configurator on the Lenovo site won't let me swap to the RTX 2080.
If you want CPU power and gaming, what you're looking for is an Alienware 51m. Also allows up to 128 GB of RAM unofficially. Just get one from the Dell Outlet. Same warranty as new.

ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 allows for the 9980H and 64GB RAM, but only a 1650.

Edit: HIDevolution will install 128GB for 860 if you buy it from them. I'd recommend it since they also offer delidding and thermal pads.

Last edited:

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you want CPU power and gaming, what you're looking for is an Alienware 51m. Also allows up to 128 GB of RAM unofficially. Just get one from the Dell Outlet. Same warranty as new.

ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 allows for the 9980H and 64GB RAM, but only a 1650.

Edit: HIDevolution will install 128GB for 860 if you buy it from them. I'd recommend it since they also offer delidding and thermal pads.
Thank you very much!

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you very much!
If you get a 51m, be aware

1. It's a full desktop CPU
2. You will have to repaste and undervolt for better temps if you don't get from HIDEvolution. It's the nature of the beast because 14nm+++++ CPU, and it's dissipating way more than 95W TDP.... More like 150W at least.
3. Make everyone jealous

And whatever you do, get the Everki Titan backpack if you want a backpack, or the Titan roller from their website if you plan to fly with it or want a roller bag. The Alienware bag is so-so.

Giggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Well with an 8 core/16 thread CPU that's unlocked/overclockable, you definitely won't be lagging behind the next-gen consoles on that front.

Godspeed on keeping that monster tamed as far as heat though, it's a tough task.

What laptop is this?
Alienware m15 R2

even though it’s technically overclockable I don’t see that being possible in such a thin chassis lol

slashf

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know, i am thinking to buy more space on ssd, its better to grab a nvme m2 or a ssd?
And the ram the new laptop have 2 slot whith 4x2. Pickup 2x8 or 1x16 and let the other on 4?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Got the GS65 and it's a nice laptop. Performs well too - but just like clockwork the right fan started to rattle. I read it's fixable but not sure I wanna bother with it... I might just not bother with gaming capable laptops anymore...

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Alienware m15 R2

even though it’s technically overclockable I don’t see that being possible in such a thin chassis lol
Damn dude, I wish you the best. *salute*

I dont know, i am thinking to buy more space on ssd, its better to grab a nvme m2 or a ssd?
And the ram the new laptop have 2 slot whith 4x2. Pickup 2x8 or 1x16 and let the other on 4?
i don't know where you are, but here in the US, NVMe now costs pretty much the same as M.2 and 2.5" SATA.

uzit88

Oct 30, 2017
Hey!

I am in the market for a 'cheapish' gaming laptop so I can play WoW Retail/Classic on. I'm finding myself more and more away from my desk and my thirst for Warcraft is getting stronger. I dont want to break the bank too much but i have a budget if around £600/£700.

Anyone have any recommendations please? Pref to have at least 128SSD with a mechanical drive.

Thanks in advance!

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hey!

I am in the market for a 'cheapish' gaming laptop so I can play WoW Retail/Classic on. I'm finding myself more and more away from my desk and my thirst for Warcraft is getting stronger. I dont want to break the bank too much but i have a budget if around £600/£700.

Anyone have any recommendations please? Pref to have at least 128SSD with a mechanical drive.

Thanks in advance!
I would spend £799.00 and get this, because £700 nets a GTX 1050/RX560X and the GTX 1650 in the Dell is like 65% faster.

Oct 29, 2017
Hey folks I heard that Nvidia will release laptop and Max-Q versions of their Super cards next year, I haven't been following the gaming laptop market at all in the last few years but does that mean that laptop and Max-Q Ampere GPUs are expected to hit in 2021?

Xharos

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
I finally got my GE65 Raider 9SF!

Just finished installing Windows 10, , updating the BIOS, installing the drivers, Dragon Center etc. Now Steam is downloading RDR2, Halo MCC, Witcher 3 and CSGO. Will post performance impressions soon :)

There are like 7 milllion variants of this laptop, it's the one with these specs:
  • i7 9750H
  • RTX 2070 (NOT max-q)
  • 32 GB RAM 2666 MHz (16x2 dual channel)
  • 1 TB NVMe SSD
  • 240 Hz 1080p screen
For now I'm super happy with the display and the lighting effects of the keyboard. Awesome. W10 runs snappy as hell too

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I think I am cured.

Helios 300 (1660) - it was super loud even in idle, acer support and community know of the "problem" - no fix.
HP Pavillon Gaming (1650) - really solid and very quiet, sadly the touchpad broke after 2 weeks.
Ordered a MSI GS65 (1070 maxQ) - fans rattle out of the gate, super loud coild whine.

inner-G

Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Last edited:

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
The throttling on Dell G5 5590 is insane. Had to undervolt the CPU by -150mV and underclock it in order to help alleviate some of the problem. Seems like Dell needs to provide more control over the fan.

Anyone else have one of these? How did you deal with this?

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Or get a 2060 for a bit more:
Yo that's a fucking incredible deal ..

This is even better !