Gaming Laptop Discussion Thread

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
How does this laptop compare which is also on a Black Friday deal. Is it worth $200 more?

HP - Spectre x360 2-in-1 15.6" 4K Ultra HD Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD + 32GB Optane - Dark Ash Silver, Sandblasted Anodized Finish
Model:15-DF1033DX
SKU:6364582

$1099

Edit: Nevermind. Just realized it wasn’t a gaming laptop.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
two questions

1. how do i know if i need to throttle down my 9750

2. whats the best wireless card to get? I have killer in my new y740 and i heard its shit

jlethal27

Oct 27, 2017
Hey fyi, I thought I'd share this for people who do some light gaming/indies.
HP Pavilion:
15" FHD LED Display
AMD Ryzen5 3550H APU
256 SSD
8GB DDR4 (expandable to 16)
NVIDIA GForce GTX 1050 3GB
Normally $649, I saw this for $449 at Best Buy.
For what you get, I figured it was pretty reasonable. Looks good too. Here's the link:

Last edited:

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
HP Pavilion:
15" FHD LED Display
AMD Ryzen5 3550H APU
256 SSD
For what you get, I figured it was pretty reasonable. Looks good too.
Could this run cyberpunk on medium? Lmao.

No but really got a link? I might actually have to buy this.

angroo

May 1, 2019
I'm looking at this one, hoping its enough to play Half-Life: Alyx next year, that is probably the fidelity ceiling for gaming for me but would also like some future proofing, does this seem fine for its price?

Intel Core i7-9750H
16 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
1 TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive 256 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Xharos

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
I did it, I ordered this beast:

Unless there's some kind of delay I should have it on Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Can't wait!
The shipment got delayed so I won't have it until the 10th or so :(

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hey Resetera laptop crew. I have a desktop with a i5-4590 CPU 3.30GHz, GTX 1070, and 16 GB of RAM. Was thinking about picking up the MSI GS65 through the Best Buy deal. Not looking to break the bank. Do you think it would be a good get? Any other recommendations? Portability and battery life balanced with performance are what I'm prioritizing, which is why I'm not looking at the Lenovo Y540.
The GS65 certainly strikes a balance between power and portability. What is the Best Buy deal?

Does this seem like a good deal? Im planning to play Destiny 2 and Forza Horizon 4 on that machine. Is 1080p 60fps ultra-high settings futureproof on this thing?

https://m.notebooksbilliger.de/blackweekend/intel+blackweekend/hp+notebooks/hp+pavilion+15+ec0140ng+620838

HP Pavilion 15
Ryzen 3750H 4x2.30 Ghz
GTX1660Ti 6GB
16 GB RAM DDR4 2400 MHz

850€
It's a good deal for current gen games.

Is a RTX 2060 futureproof for next gen?
It probably won't be obsolete.

two questions

1. how do i know if i need to throttle down my 9750

2. whats the best wireless card to get? I have killer in my new y740 and i heard its shit
1. Monitor the temps?

2. I've been using laptops with Killer cards for 5+ years, have had very few problems. I wouldn't assume you need to replace it in advance.

For the CPU: Are 4 cores enough or is it better to switch to 6/8 cores?
If you want to be relevant next-gen, you need more than 4 cores.

How hot will a i7 9750H get?
The GE65 will do better than most, but undervolting is pretty much mandatory.

I'm looking at this one, hoping its enough to play Half-Life: Alyx next year, that is probably the fidelity ceiling for gaming for me but would also like some future proofing, does this seem fine for its price?

Intel Core i7-9750H
16 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
1 TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive 256 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
That's a great price for a 2060.

Would you advise on any fanless laptop that's decent enough to run new indie games?
I can't even name a single fanless laptop.

slashf

Oct 28, 2017
I am looking here in Brazil, there some deals on a laptop whith the 1650. Could be possible to play some games in the near future, or pickup one whith 1660ti could be a bigger deal?

Tofer

Oct 27, 2017
I’m salty the Best Buy MSI GS65 is sold out. Anyone else selling it for that price?comparable alternatives?

Xharos

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
How future proof do you think the i7 9750H + 2070 + 32 GB dual channel 2666 MHz RAM + 1 TB NVMe SSD combo is? How many years do you think I'll be able to play AAA games comfortably?

tbh as long as I can play games until I finish my degree (2022 hopefully) I'm happy. I'll probably get a desktop PC after that since I'll stop moving around so much

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
For next-gen, more cores the better.

However, laptops available today with 6/8 cores run very hot and will not get you many hours of battery life.
It's a good deal for current gen games.
I might go for a Acer Predator Helios 300 (2019), which got 6 cores and non max q gtx 1660ti.About 1200€
Saw a deal about the Predator Tritton 500 with a rtx 2060, but in order to reach memory and ram slots you have to remove the mainboard.. (1000€)

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Five months after purchase, still no trace of burn-in on my Aero OLED.

Very satisfied with the machine, outside of fan noise. I'll probably stick to the brand for the foreseeable future and get a new one whenever OLED on 17" becomes a thing, which as I understand isn't happening for quite some time. After getting the taste of OLED on a laptop I just can't go back.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
All my gaming devices got stolen last week ( ps4 , switch .. even my old ass laptop )
Now look to buy a good gaming laptop to play the Xbox, PC exclusive for this gen ..

Any recommendations!

Oct 30, 2017
United States
I recently got the ASUS ROG Strix G through the BF Black Friday deal to start getting into PC Gaming, but I have no clue how to get the Hotkeys to work, and can't find any drivers to install.

Oct 27, 2017
How future proof do you think the i7 9750H + 2070 + 32 GB dual channel 2666 MHz RAM + 1 TB NVMe SSD combo is? How many years do you think I'll be able to play AAA games comfortably?

tbh as long as I can play games until I finish my degree (2022 hopefully) I'm happy. I'll probably get a desktop PC after that since I'll stop moving around so much
That should honestly be good through 2022. After 2022 we should have banger CPUs and GPUs at the 7nm improved process from everyone - it’ll be a great time to build a desktop PC.

owlsnest

Feb 12, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
I can't even name a single fanless laptop.
Like Surface Pro? I can run basically most of the new indie games on 2017 i5, which is fanless. Thought there might be some 'upgrade', otherwise I'll just update it with next years model.

To be honest, it runs games like Children of Morta, Cuphead, My Friend Pedro very well. Not even to mention older classics like Dead Space/ Dead Space 2 which runs flawless. I can even run Disco Elysium on medium/ high settings on it, which I really thought would be impossibe.

Timeless One

Oct 27, 2017
I have question. I want to change my laptop. I was thinking about the new alienware and i dont want it to be bigger than 15". And budget is about 2500$. Is it better to wait until next year so the new 3000 Nvidia series is released or anybody has any suggestions about the brand I should choose and the best time to buy ?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I have question. I want to change my laptop. I was thinking about the new alienware and i dont want it to be bigger than 15". And budget is about 2500$. Is it better to wait until next year so the new 3000 Nvidia series is released or anybody has any suggestions about the brand I should choose and the best time to buy ?
If you can wait, then wait.

If you need it now, I suggest you go to the Dell outlet, pick one there and pay for the extra warranty. There are Alienware m15 R2 there with 2080s.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Looking to buy Lenovo y540 laptop
Comes with 1660ti , i5 , 144hz, 8GB

My only concern is the 8GB.You guys think it’s enough? Price around 980 USD

Xharos

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
Looking to buy Lenovo y540 laptop
Comes with 1660ti , i5 , 144hz, 8GB

My only concern is the 8GB.You guys think it’s enough? Price around 980 USD
8 GB of RAM is not enough today let alone in a year or so, not to mention that it probably has one 8 GB stick which means no dual channel which means much worse CPU performance. Either get something with 2x8 GB or get ready to immediately install a second 8 GB stick as soon as the laptop arrives.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
8 GB of RAM is not enough today let alone in a year or so, not to mention that it probably has one 8 GB stick which means no dual channel which means much worse CPU performance. Either get something with 2x8 GB or get ready to immediately install a second 8 GB stick as soon as the laptop arrives.
Thanks for the answer my man :)

There is the same model with 2060, comes with 16GB but cost 250 more.

Also an Asus with Ryzen 7, same setup but with 16GB, cost 100 more.

Xharos

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands, Spain
Thanks for the answer my man :)

There is the same model with 2060, comes with 16GB but cost 250 more.

Also an Asus with Ryzen 7, same setup but with 16GB, cost 100 more.
I would get the one with the 2060, no idea if Lenovo is good in terms of cooling and build quality tho

Check that it comes with 2 sticks of 8 GB RAM so that you get dual channel, not one 16 GB stick.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Listen to this guy, going from single to dual channel on my Inspiron was a night and day difference.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Y740 w/ 2070 arrived the other day, the machine is very nice. Still reloading crap from my old machine, takes a while to get all the software running I use. But threw Witcher 3 up and it defaulted to Ultra everything and is smooth as butter. Display with HDR looks great too. Really sleek machine.

Might be a dumb question but how do I lift it? Are there accessories that do this or do I have to do it myself?
I got a slim 1lb laptop cooling pad for like $12. It adjusts height to a better level for me and incline for the keyboard, I'm not sure the fans in it do anything, I don't use them that much, but figured it's cheaper than the ones without practically so why not. If nothing else I wanted to be able to set the laptop on something on my bed without it sinking into the sheets and having the fans blocked.

It probably won't be obsolete.
i7 9750 is showing 11 cores (CPUs) in the resource monitor, that strikes me as weird? Shouldn't they be multiples of 2? My old i7 from 6 years ago had 4 cores and showed as 8, so I'm guessing this one is 5 cores or something?

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I am looking here in Brazil, there some deals on a laptop whith the 1650. Could be possible to play some games in the near future, or pickup one whith 1660ti could be a bigger deal?
If you can afford the 1660 Ti I urge you to take it.

I’m salty the Best Buy MSI GS65 is sold out. Anyone else selling it for that price?comparable alternatives?
I can't find anyone selling that SKU for $500 off.

This ASUS Strix w/ RTX 2070 is on sale for $1399 on Amazon though.

A 6-core CPU and RTX 2070 are definitely good until 2022, and beyond.

Btw I got my MSI GT76 last week. You are going to love the 240Hz display, it's so smooth. I've been playing The Surge 2 and The Outer Worlds with v-sync off and haven't seen any screen tearing.

I might go for a Acer Predator Helios 300 (2019), which got 6 cores and non max q gtx 1660ti.About 1200€
Saw a deal about the Predator Triton 500 with a rtx 2060, but in order to reach memory and ram slots you have to remove the mainboard.. (1000€)
Yeah the Triton is a pain unless you either never plan to upgrade or can carefully follow the disassembly video. That is a great price though.

Five months after purchase, still no trace of burn-in on my Aero OLED.

Very satisfied with the machine, outside of fan noise. I'll probably stick to the brand for the foreseeable future and get a new one whenever OLED on 17" becomes a thing, which as I understand isn't happening for quite some time. After getting the taste of OLED on a laptop I just can't go back.
I've been waiting 5+ years for the 17" OLEDs to happen. Now that high refresh rates are so ubiquitous, this hypothetical OLED would really have to blow me away.

I'm not interested in 4K yet so I'd want a 1440p 120Hz type display.

All my gaming devices got stolen last week ( ps4 , switch .. even my old ass laptop )
Now look to buy a good gaming laptop to play the Xbox, PC exclusive for this gen ..

Any recommendations!
What's your budget?

I recently got the ASUS ROG Strix G through the BF Black Friday deal to start getting into PC Gaming, but I have no clue how to get the Hotkeys to work, and can't find any drivers to install.
I found this post on Reddit. Might be worth a shot.

Tell me a but about what your goals are, what you have now, and how soon you want to be gaming.

Is 1400 eurs for the GP65-9SE with a rtx 2060 and 144hz screen a good deal?

is there even much of a difference between an rtx 2060 and a 1660ti actually.
That is a good deal for an RTX 2060, especially in Euroland.

Well the RTX 2060 usually tests out to 12% faster on average. Depending on the game you'll see between a 5% to 25% difference in performance, it varies greatly.

Me, I would just take the 2060 if I could afford it. You are getting 1920 shaders vs 1536 in the 1660 Ti and higher clocks, which may pay dividends in the future, like when the next-gen consoles raise the system requirements on us.

i7 9750 is showing 11 cores (CPUs) in the resource monitor, that strikes me as weird? Shouldn't they be multiples of 2? My old i7 from 6 years ago had 4 cores and showed as 8, so I'm guessing this one is 5 cores or something?
Are you talking about in Window's Task Manager, or something else?

It could just not be reading it correctly. Speccy sees my laptop's desktop i7-9700K as an i7-7700, which freaked me out for a sec because I had literally just booted for the first time, but the software just doesn't see it correctly.

The i7-9750H is 6 cores and 12 threads. If you look in Device Manager, under Processors, it should list the 9750H twelve times.

IceBringer

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought my first laptop! I have a couple questions now though. It came with 16gb of ram, is expanding to 32gb overkill? And what’s the best antivirus option? I’m seeing that just the built in windows defender is good

Timeless One

Oct 27, 2017
If you can afford the 1660 Ti I urge you to take it.

I can't find anyone selling that SKU for $500 off.

This ASUS Strix w/ RTX 2070 is on sale for $1399 on Amazon though.

A 6-core CPU and RTX 2070 are definitely good until 2022, and beyond.

Btw I got my MSI GT76 last week. You are going to love the 240Hz display, it's so smooth. I've been playing The Surge 2 and The Outer Worlds with v-sync off and haven't seen any screen tearing.

Yeah the Triton is a pain unless you either never plan to upgrade or can carefully follow the disassembly video. That is a great price though.

I've been waiting 5+ years for the 17" OLEDs to happen. Now that high refresh rates are so ubiquitous, this hypothetical OLED would really have to blow me away.

I'm not interested in 4K yet so I'd want a 1440p 120Hz type display.

What's your budget?

I found this post on Reddit. Might be worth a shot.

Tell me a but about what your goals are, what you have now, and how soon you want to be gaming.

That is a good deal for an RTX 2060, especially in Euroland.

Well the RTX 2060 usually tests out to 12% faster on average. Depending on the game you'll see between a 5% to 25% difference in performance, it varies greatly.

Me, I would just take the 2060 if I could afford it. You are getting 1920 shaders vs 1536 in the 1660 Ti and higher clocks, which may pay dividends in the future, like when the next-gen consoles raise the system requirements on us.

Are you talking about in Window's Task Manager, or something else?

It could just not be reading it correctly. Speccy sees my laptop's desktop i7-9700K as an i7-7700, which freaked me out for a sec because I had literally just booted for the first time, but the software just doesn't see it correctly.

The i7-9750H is 6 cores and 12 threads. If you look in Device Manager, under Processors, it should list the 9750H twelve times.
I have an alienware right now which is 4 years old (i7, 765m, 16gm ram, 14") . My goals despite my work which is not a problem in terms of powe, is purely for gaming. I am in no hurry to buy it asap as I dont believe there are games and i am willing to wait an other year if the differences are not small compare to what i can buy today

Lobster Roll

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
Chicago, IL
HP Pavilion:
15" FHD LED Display
AMD Ryzen5 3550H APU
256 SSD
For what you get, I figured it was pretty reasonable. Looks good too. Here's the link:
A 1050 3GB? And the final price is $449? It sounds like a great price, but this thing is obsolete before it even arrives.